XLink Kai alternative to XBox Live--what hardware needed?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Papageno

XLink Kai alternative to XBox Live--what hardware needed?

Post by Papageno »

Pardon my ignorance, but what hardware is needed for voice support in XLink Kai? Does the XBox Live hardware work or does one need something different? I presume one needs to have broadband to connect the XBox to the internet, correct?

I haven't modded my box, just don't feel like making Bill Gates any richer than absolutely necessary.
Repentant

Post by Repentant »

Well, you'll need a PC for running the Kai engine, of course.

You'll need a headset for the PC if you want to chat in Kai arenas.

Other than that, you'll need an xbox live! headset + transceiver for voice chat with xbox online games.

And you should consider modding your xbox. Dashboards like XBMC are now supporting Kai so that you can browse Kai arenas on the xbox instead of doing so through your PC client (you'll still need the Kai engine running on the PC in either case). Softmods exist and are fairly prevalent these days.
Papageno

Post by Papageno »

Thanks, Repentant! I like your Avatar, BTW. It's from that old puzzle game called "The Fool's Errand" right?
Repentant

Post by Repentant »

Technically it's the sequel, called The Fool and His Money. You can read more about it at The Fool's Errand Web Site
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

Repentant wrote:Technically it's the sequel, called The Fool and His Money. You can read more about it at The Fool's Errand Web Site
Otherwise known as the other game besides Duke Nukem Forever which will never actually come out.
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

xLink Kai is great. I've been using it since Halo 2 came out and haven't had one problem with it.