Unreal Tournament 2004

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Crux

Unreal Tournament 2004

Post by Crux »

Thinking about slipping this onto my christmas list. One question: is there enough of a multiplayer community on OO active for me to get my $30 worth out of this title? I'm not super interested in playing online with complete strangers, but beating up on (and getting beaten up by) my fellow OOers would be fun.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

There's that ongoing thread in the Multiplayer forum, although Zaxxon's server doesn't seem to be populated too often these days.

Honestly, I've gotten my money's worth out of UT2k4 just with the botmatches. :wink:
Crux

Post by Crux »

Hrm. I might have to wait for the next good fps and use my christmas gift request on something else :P
Depward

Post by Depward »

We've played a WHOLE bunch on Zaxxon's server. But for awhile now, with all of the new releases and so forth, it doesn't seem like there's too much interest in playing anymore. :?
depward on the Playstation Network
Atalante

Post by Atalante »

bluefugue wrote:Honestly, I've gotten my money's worth out of UT2k4 just with the botmatches. :wink:
Ditto. Nothing like a 32 bot onslaught match to get the blood pumping. All kinds of good fun.
"Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"
disarm

Post by disarm »

the bot matches are pretty good...definitely enough fun to make the $30 purchase worthwhile in my opinion. there are still quite a few OOers that really enjoy playing as well. unfortunately, the action on zaxxon's server has slowed a little bit recently, but i think that's due more to all the great new games out than a lack of interest. personally, i've been caught up in HL2 for the last few weeks, but i'm done with it now and ready for some more UT. i'd love to give zaxxon's server a workout sometime in the near future 8)
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

Depward wrote:We've played a WHOLE bunch on Zaxxon's server. But for awhile now, with all of the new releases and so forth, it doesn't seem like there's too much interest in playing anymore. :?
Thats unfortunate, but with roughly 50 pages worth of posts on it at GG, and another 13 pages here, thats roughly 63 pages worth of posts on a single topic. At what?...something like 40 posts per page, his server has racked up somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2520 posts. On a single game. Thats gotta be some kind of record. :P Props to Zax. Thats quite a feat. I think anyone who's ever played even a single match on his UT2K4 server owes him a hearty "thank you"

Personally, I hope it picks up again. An infusion of a bit of new blood (that means you, aussie ;) ) might help liven it up a bit again.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I'd definitely be up for some UT2k4 action, either in the next week or after the new year.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Hrm. Well, it might be worth a shot. I got a guitar for christmas already so I really only have one shot at this which is why I'm a little cautious.
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Aussie - one of the best things about UT 2004 is found in two mods:

Alien Swarm
Red Orchestra

If you go into IRC we can probably get people to play Alien Swarm, which has some of the best co-op around, and Red Orchestra, which you can just jump into a server, or get people to play.

On the other hand... we've all played this stuff months ago now, so you honestly might have trouble getting people to go along, and can't speak for the rest, but I know the IRC crew got pretty burnt on vanilla UT 2004 a looong time ago (like in March)... you might be late to the party if you want to play with people you know all the time, so if there is something else you are interested in, you might be better off going for that.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Great game, worth the 30 bucks even if you are just going to play bots. Great way to unwind from a stressful day.
philosophist

Post by philosophist »

I agree with several of the other posters; this is a great SINGLE player game.!
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

UT2K4 represents one of the best values in PC gaming around. For $30, you can get multiple games thanks to the multitude of mods available. Just make sure you have plenty of space. With a slew of mods installed, my UT2K4 folder was around 14 gigs before I had to remove it.
driver

Post by driver »

Rhett wrote:Great game, worth the 30 bucks even if you are just going to play bots. Great way to unwind from a stressful day.
I totally agree.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Ok I am putting at the top of my list. You bastards better play it with me in January when you all get back from vacation. That's all I'm gonna say.
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I'll get in some fragging with you, but you have to give me a tennis lesson if you're ever in LA. :twisted: