Outcast problems

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

effidian

Outcast problems

Post by effidian »

I picked up the Outcast (1999)a few days ago. Having a lot of fun with it, but I'm running into some technical problems and am wondering if I should try to keep going.

1. I can't ride the Twon-Ha. I can get on, change directions and jump, but I can't move forward. From what I can glean, it is something to do with faster systems and/or XP. Putting it in compatibility mode didn't solve it. This is more of a pain than a show stopper. I"m assuming I'd be able to get around a lot faster riding than walking.

2. Some events don't seem to happen. In the first area, Naarn (or something like that) is supposed to come out of one of the portals after I take the temple. The first time I tried, he came out fine. But the second time, he isn't coming out. I've waited and tried entering the area from all different directions, but he isn't showing up.

3. Another issue I have is that looking for solutions the above I realized that after I got the first Mon, I was supposed to get some event before leaving the Riss area (Sham... something). My first time through the area I just headed to the next area after I got the Mon and never got this event. Are there a lot of these types of events? Am I going to miss things if I don't do things perfectly?

Anyway, if any of you have played this on an updated system and/or had any of these problems, let me know if you think I should keep trying to get through it or if I'll end up hitting something that makes me start over.
Quaro

Post by Quaro »

The riding bug is because computers are too fast. There are a couple of solutions.

Make sure you have all settings maxed, and you aren't playing in widescreen mode (which is there to save framerate). Right when you want to move forward, look around you in different directions as fast as possible. Sometimes this will slow it down just enough to get going.

I was playing with the unofficial patch to 640x480, which slowed it down a bit more as well.

The combination of full screen settings maxed at 640x480 and looking around wildly slowed it down enough for my xp1700. Since you probably have a faster computer, you might want to look into a program you can run in the background to slow down the cpu.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

1. I was never able to ride the Twon-Ha because of the fast computer bug. (I played on a 2.53 GHz.) Even if Quaro's suggestions don't work for you, riding is not necessary for completing the game (or, probably, any of the quests).

The bug also seemed to prevent me from completing one major (but probably optional) quest that ended in a series of jumps. Cutter Slade's feet just wouldn't land the final jump. But then I ran my virus scanner in the background, which made the game choppy enough for me to land the jump.

2. Not sure what to say about this one. Are you sure you put all three stones in place and took everyone out? Maybe some soldier wandered away from the battle.

3. This could be a major problem. Within a few minutes after collecting a Mon, you should get a cutscene. If you don't, you did something out of sequence, and the game doesn't think you actually have the Mon. I completed over 90% of the game before I realized this, and had to replay about seven hours to get back on track. (I didn't mind too much, because the game is so fun.) Whatever you do, don't continue until you correct this problem. If you have a saved game from before getting the Mon, you might want to load it because the game could be corrupted by now.

The problem happened to me after I got the second Mon. The resulting cutscene mentioned that something was brewing at the barrier, but I was supposed to go to wintry training ground first in order to be told where the barrier was. Instead, I went directly to the barrier, so the game stopped counting my Mons even though I was collecting them.

You're having the problem with the first Mon, so I'm not sure exactly what you should do. I can only suggest looking at your quest log and doing the General quests in the order presented.

I'm surprised that more people didn't have event flag problems with this game like you and I did.
effidian

Post by effidian »

1. This is more of an annoyance than anything. I can certainly walk, it just would have been nice to be able to get around faster. I'll try a CPU slow down program if I really need to.

2. You are supposed to take the stones back out? I know they are in the right order because the last slot rose and didn't go back down. But I didn't have the other three stones with me since I left them in the slots. The first time I went through I had them all with me, so maybe that is what the difference is.

3. I went back to Shamazaar and got the cut seen. Now that I know this, I'll just hang out after getting a Mon until I get an event.

Any other things I should watch out for?
Bandero

Post by Bandero »

Urge to replay this game...rising.

Even though the combat is a little goofy, I've never had a game give me the sense of discovery, exploration and immersiveness that this game did. Plus at the time it was graphically gorgeous and the soundtrack was amazing.
"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country. " Kurt Vonnegut
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

effidian wrote:2. You are supposed to take the stones back out? I know they are in the right order because the last slot rose and didn't go back down. But I didn't have the other three stones with me since I left them in the slots. The first time I went through I had them all with me, so maybe that is what the difference is.
If the stones are in place, you shouldn't have to take them out, but you might want to try your idea.

Glad you got the cutscene, hopefully that means you're right on track.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Shit, you guys all did better than me! I tried literally for days, but could not get past the training mission where you simply have to sneak past the training dude. He ALWAYS sees me! After several days of pure futility, I finally just gave up.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Zanthia_s

Post by Zanthia_s »

you don't have to pass the sneak training mission. i never did. after failing it a few times the guy eventually lets you move on.
effidian

Post by effidian »

I finished it and didn't run into anything critical. Fun game. I do wish I could have ridden those Twon-Has though...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Congratulations on finishing the game.

Here's a website where you can get the music, behind-the-scenes footage, wallpaper, bloopers, etc. Lots of good stuff, aside from the invalid Real Audio/Video links.

http://www.outcast-thegame.com/gallery/