2024 Fundraising - $1102 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Pacific Fighters $24.90 at Gogamer

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Carpet_pissr

Pacific Fighters $24.90 at Gogamer

Post by Carpet_pissr »

not bad at all
Hrdina

Re: Pacific Fighters $24 at Gogamer

Post by Hrdina »

Carpet_pissr wrote:not bad at all
Especially since it comes with a $30 coupon for TrackIR. :D
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

What's TrackIR?
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

jonsauce wrote:What's TrackIR?
TrackIR is a cool alien-looking gizmo that tracks your head movements using an IR camera and changes your flight sim's view to follow. It makes it easier to follow the bad guys in a dogfight without using a hat switch or padlock view.

It has a mouse emulation mode which can work with any game that uses a mouse-look system. Some games (such as Pacific Fighters) are TrackIR enhanced. It seems to be used mostly for flight sims, but I suppose it would work just as well with first-person shooters.

I want one but don't have one yet. Soon, though. 8)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have one. It takes an hour or so of feeling awkward, but then it becomes completely natural. You just turn your head and look wherever you want. You can adjust the sensitivity, but generally pointing your head toward one edge of your monitor will have you looking backwards, and at the bottom edge will have you looking at your lower instruments. It feels utterly natural, and is the number one best tool for getting situational awareness in flight sims.

I wish a few space sims or a Mechwarrior game would ship TrackIR Enhanced!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I would bet that this tech will make it into the FPS arena sooner than later.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Sooner. I think Raven Shield is already TrackIR enhanced. The head tracking is supposed to control leaning in the game, something like that.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Boudreaux wrote:Sooner. I think Raven Shield is already TrackIR enhanced. The head tracking is supposed to control leaning in the game, something like that.
There is a new addition (software + hardware) to the TrackIR3 called vector expansion, which allows the thing to track translation (lean, zoom) as well as the more normal rotations (roll/pitch/yaw) that it already supported. Very neat technology. This is only supported in some products. I think it works in Flight Simulator 2004, but not in IL-2 Sturmovik or Pacific Fighters.