What? You've never played Fallout 2?

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

What? You've never played Fallout 2?

Post by Bakhtosh »

Now's your chance. GoGamer has Fallout 1 and 2 for $2.90 +S&H (total). If you've always wanted to try these wonderful game, but didn't want to risk more than $3, here you go. Don't let this chance pass you by.

But DO download the patch before you play.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Even though I already own both of these games, I have a hard time passing up a deal such as this.

What a steal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Odin

Post by Odin »

I wonder if these are updated. I seem to recall I bought the original Fallout some years after playing Fallout 2, but I couldn't get it to install in 2000 or XP or whatever O/S I was running.

Sith
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

Its the old release, however it works perfectly with compatibilty mode.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I'm all over this! I must have bought and given away three copies of each of these :). I have #1 floating around somewhere but for $3 i think ill pick up a new one and #2.

p.s. I knew there was a good reason to not update to Win xp on my old rig.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sith Lord wrote:I wonder if these are updated. I seem to recall I bought the original Fallout some years after playing Fallout 2, but I couldn't get it to install in 2000 or XP or whatever O/S I was running.

Sith
As I recall, you also have to run the installer in compatability mode.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

I've never played Fallout 2 and only went through the first part of Fallout, so this might be worth getting.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I would also like to point out that Planescape: Torment is worth far more than the $2.90 they're charging for it, as well. And, it comes with some other game too, but get it for Torment.

Find a third game you like, and get the t-shirt too! I've got one! (I sound like an ad.) Still, this is the first time in a while that it seems they have a decent madness special.
\/\/olverine

Post by \/\/olverine »

Nice, with dirt cheap shipping my grand total came to $5.11! I might actually play these games too. Thanks for the heads up, Bakhtosh.
Qbert

Post by Qbert »

how can you NOT play fallout or planescape?
morlac

Post by morlac »

I only wish they came with the orgianl manuals...They dont do they?
Exrod

Post by Exrod »

Count me in. Cannot resist a bargin!
I shall observe the tenets of Rex Kwon Do
I shall respect Rex
I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ya know, I'm not sure why I didn't do it earlier, but this really belongs in the Bargain forum. Moving it there now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

morlac wrote:I only wish they came with the orgianl manuals...They dont do they?
It looks like these are the classic 'Dual Jewels' - GoGamer has three sets of them on sale, so no, no manuals.

Make sure you check version numbers, too - some of the Dual Jewels came pre-patched.
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Sorry to dissent in this lovefest, but I didn't find Fallout to be that great of a game. Not even good enough to bother with the second one. I didn't think it horrible, either, but you guys sound like you want it to have your babies or something.

Planescape on the other hand. Planescape can have my babies.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Mithridates wrote:Sorry to dissent in this lovefest, but I didn't find Fallout to be that great of a game. Not even good enough to bother with the second one. I didn't think it horrible, either, but you guys sound like you want it to have your babies or something.

Planescape on the other hand. Planescape can have my babies.
Well, I'm married. But if I wasn't, Fallout could have my babies. It has a very serious shot at being my favorite game ever.
The Preacher
Forum Moderator

Post by The Preacher »

I couldn't stick with Fallout either and I am a huge Wasteland fan. I found P:T to be much more satisfying.
You do not take from this universe. It grants you what it will.
Bertran

Post by Bertran »

Blackhawk wrote:
morlac wrote:I only wish they came with the orgianl manuals...They dont do they?
It looks like these are the classic 'Dual Jewels' - GoGamer has three sets of them on sale, so no, no manuals.

Make sure you check version numbers, too - some of the Dual Jewels came pre-patched.
Are the manuals on the CDs, by any chance?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved both Fallouts and Planescape..but where Ill play the Fallouts over and over...1 time was all Ill ever play Planescape...way too much reading on my bad eyes.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

<----Hasn't played Fallout or Planescape

(PR runs away as the crowd starts picking up pitchforks and torches)

At the time both games were released, I wasn't that much of a PC Gamer. I might pick them up now, though. 8)
Follow me as I make films at: xterminatingangel.com
"Don't waste your time or time will waste you."--Muse, 'Knights Of Cydonia'
Fear the Wiki!
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

You should. Be aware that, although the art direction is still excellent, the graphics are distincly dated. And I think Torment is a better story than it is a game - there are some fights that seem tacked-on.
warning

Post by warning »

Bertran wrote:Are the manuals on the CDs, by any chance?
I believe so.
Daehawk wrote:I loved both Fallouts and Planescape..but where Ill play the Fallouts over and over...1 time was all Ill ever play Planescape...way too much reading on my bad eyes.
I'm just the opposite. I played Fallout 1 twice, loved it, tried several times to get into Fallout 2 and found it more of the same. I even tried to go back and replay Fallout 1 a third time and couldn't get into it.

PS:T I've played twice and will probably play again in the next 6 months or so. It's like a religious pilgrimage for me.
\/\/olverine

Post by \/\/olverine »

My only gripe is the length, I can't put more than 20-30 hours into a single player game and from what I hear these games come to more than double that.
warning

Post by warning »

\/\/olverine wrote:My only gripe is the length, I can't put more than 20-30 hours into a single player game and from what I hear these games come to more than double that.
Actually I think I finished Fallout 1 in about 15 hours or so. It was one of the shorter RPG's I've played.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I picked up the Fallout deal because I need to replace the disks. This was like kismet.

I played PS:T twice. I'm not sure I could again. It's sort of in my mind perfectly. I wouldn't want to repeat it. I told the story just right.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Itsatrap

Post by Itsatrap »

Mithridates wrote:Sorry to dissent in this lovefest, but I didn't find Fallout to be that great of a game.
I'm afraid we're going to have to revoke your "gamer" status now... :shock:

- Alan
moss_icon

Post by moss_icon »

i haven't played fallout as i am just not into the setting of the games. doesn't appeal to me at all.
moth moth moth brown moth
Thin_J

Post by Thin_J »

Mithridates wrote:Sorry to dissent in this lovefest, but I didn't find Fallout to be that great of a game.
I loved the combat. I hated the rest of it.

As far as Planescape goes.. it doesn't even interest me. So.. yeah. I guess they can "Revoke my gamer card" too.

I'll just continue happily playing though my monthly stack of games with the knowledge that I'm not a gamer because I don't play games I don't find interesting. I can live with that just fine.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Thin_J wrote:
I loved the combat. I hated the rest of it.

As far as Planescape goes.. it doesn't even interest me. So.. yeah. I guess they can "Revoke my gamer card" too.

I'll just continue happily playing though my monthly stack of games with the knowledge that I'm not a gamer because I don't play games I don't find interesting. I can live with that just fine.
Nah, you're stuck with your gamer card, possibly for the rest of your life. :D
Fortunately, everybody's tastes are different, so we get a good variety of games that way.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
ATB

Post by ATB »

Fallout 2 was a buggy aggravating mess. I began my boycott of all...gosh..can't remember the publisher...products after FO2. Never finished it.

FO1 on the otherhand is an all time classic that I hope to one day play again.
Why so sensuous?
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

ATB wrote:Fallout 2 was a buggy aggravating mess. I began my boycott of all...gosh..can't remember the publisher...products after FO2. Never finished it.

Interplay. They folded - your boycott was victorious!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

And that's why you have the deal! Those are the infamous Interplay Dual-Jewelcase packages... Like a chinese puzzle, you fold them one way you see one thing. You fold them the other way you see something else!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
JayG

Post by JayG »

ChrisGwinn wrote:
ATB wrote:Fallout 2 was a buggy aggravating mess. I began my boycott of all...gosh..can't remember the publisher...products after FO2. Never finished it.

Interplay. They folded - your boycott was victorious!
They will rise again. They'll never die, like Freddie Kruger. And I do think they are still going, it's Titus that's gone.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCo ... 444_newsml

No games in development, no cash, no headquarters, can't meet obligations. They may technically still exist as a legal entity, but they're gone.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

I honestly believe that the Fallout RPG's are perhaps the most overratd RPGs of all time. Seriously.

On the other hand, me and warning are thinking the EXACT same way about PST. I play it every year usually, and definately consider it some sort of religious pilgrimage. I still get chills, I still laugh, I still get sad at the things that happen, etc.

This time I think I may play though as a super good fighter and use the Celestial Sword thingy.

In fact, I may start it tonight. I really should buy one of these just so I have a backup copy.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Part of the appeal of Fallout 1/2 for me was that I was playing it at the same time as a lot of my friends. It's a great game for that, because there are lots of different ways to experience the content. We actually had a weekend-long party to play Fallout 2. Special beer was brewed (NPC Porter and Vault Pale Ale), computers were carted in. It was a great time.