World of Goo Impressions

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ChrisGrenard

Re: World of Goo Impressions

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Also, somebody has already written a Goo Decrypter program that allows people to edit the XML files that are used to generate levels. So I would say by year's end there will be a level editor out there, which could be quite awesome.
I'm special!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

tals wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:FWIW, there is talk of add-on chapters via DLC. I could see paying $5 for new chapter(s).
I'd pay $5 a chapter if they were to this level of quality
Agreed. I just need to get around to eventually buying the main game.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I picked this up the other day and everybody's right. It's great.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I caved and bought this today. It's my 'damnit, I need to buy a new monitor so I might as well get a game, too!' purchase. After playing the heck out of the initial experimental release and enjoying the demo twice, I wanted to support the little guy (and those bastards at Valve). Won't have a chance to get to it until Sunday night or Monday, though.

Edit - And it's amazing seeing a game that only takes up 70 megs of space.
Koz

Post by Koz »

So I'm planning on buying this for my sister for Christmas. However, since it's not available in B&M stores that I can see I have to go the download route. I would like to avoid DRM options and I see on their site you can download it straight from them DRM-free. Does anyone have experience with this and do you think it would be possible to "gift" it somehow while still being legit?
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Uh... literally the site download has NO drm. You could easily just download the client, burn it to a CD (Or put it on a USB memory stick, also part of the gift!) and hand it to her to install. It's not going to ask any questions whatsoever.
I'm special!
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

Or if you do want the boxed version, you can purchase it via Amazon for $19.99 (which I did - I'm a "game library" kinda guy, hence the desire for the box).

edit - if you want the "free super saver shipping," don't forget you'll still need to buy another $5.01 worth of eligible items.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

I got the Wii version a few days ago and it's been a blast. Almost done with it now, but well worth the $15 it cost for the download. Good stuff!
pengo

Post by pengo »

" target="_blank

was someone tripping on something when they designed this game?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Absolutely. It's fantastic.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

pengo wrote:

Easily one of the best games of the year.
tals

Post by tals »

Kelric wrote:
pengo wrote:

Easily one of the best games of the year.
Red Carpet is an awesome level in terms of presentation and sound - awesome. Volume up :)

http://www.xfire.com/video/40b1a/" target="_blank
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Red Carpet is one of the top levels I've seen in any game in a long time.
I'm special!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I finished the game yesterday and I have to agree with everyone else. Awesome game from start to finish. It’s one of very few games that I would say got almost everything right. Even the story, which was unexpected in a puzzle game, was charming and interesting. I would love to see some form of continuation of the game world.
whispa

Post by whispa »

Down to $19.95 on Impulse from Dec 11 through Dec 14.

:csmile:
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

It's also been $19.99 on Steam for a while, for those who swing that way.

I finished the main game last night (still need to tackle the epilogue challenges). Completely brilliant. Fabulous music, art design, and the best writing since Portal. Anyone who appreciates good design should get it.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
BigBoneTone

Post by BigBoneTone »

I'm sure this is one of those games I would have overlooked had the folks on this thread not pushed the good times of Goo. Just started it with my 6 year old and having a great time. I'm glad I've got him hooked on this as I'm sure I'll be needing his help; BBT + architecture = many a retry.
"Only a jackass quotes himself" Big Bone Tone
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

I finished the Epilogue level Friday night to complete the game.

After the first world, I thought that the concept would get repetitive, but the designers do a great job of adding new twists as the game progresses.

Took me a little under nine hours to finish it (including about an hour of trying the "compulsive" solution challenges), so it's not a long game. Still, well worth it for the $15-20 price. It oozes charm and style.
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

For those who have played both, how does it compare to de Blob in terms of overall fun?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Dan_Theman wrote:For those who have played both, how does it compare to de Blob in terms of overall fun?
They're obviously totally different types of games, so I don't know how valid a direct comparison is. I can say that I enjoyed both immensely during the time I played them, and that de Blob took me close to 30 hours (I OCDed it a little on the achievements) while WoG took me around 10. I still play both occasionally.

The correct answer, of course, is that you need both.
Dan_Theman

Post by Dan_Theman »

lol - fair enough. I've been debating about which would be best as a gift to my son. Of course, he has a birthday coming up shortly as well, so whichever doesn't make the cut for the holidays ...
tals

Post by tals »

Zaxxon wrote:
Dan_Theman wrote:For those who have played both, how does it compare to de Blob in terms of overall fun?
They're obviously totally different types of games, so I don't know how valid a direct comparison is. I can say that I enjoyed both immensely during the time I played them, and that de Blob took me close to 30 hours (I OCDed it a little on the achievements) while WoG took me around 10. I still play both occasionally.

The correct answer, of course, is that you need both.
I'm going through World of Goo again now OCDing each level - wish me luck :ninja:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Good luck--you'll need it. I've gotten OCD on several levels, but there are at least as many where my current reaction is 'OMG, there's no way I'll ever get that OCD goal...'.
yossar

Post by yossar »

Zaxxon wrote:Good luck--you'll need it. I've gotten OCD on several levels, but there are at least as many where my current reaction is 'OMG, there's no way I'll ever get that OCD goal...'.
Yeah, I had a few of those and just gave up on the OCD challenges. The core game is fun, but achievements requiring pixel-perfect placement and/or superhuman reflexes (particularly in a game that didn't really require that previously) are just tedious.
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
tals

Post by tals »

yossar wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Good luck--you'll need it. I've gotten OCD on several levels, but there are at least as many where my current reaction is 'OMG, there's no way I'll ever get that OCD goal...'.
Yeah, I had a few of those and just gave up on the OCD challenges. The core game is fun, but achievements requiring pixel-perfect placement and/or superhuman reflexes (particularly in a game that didn't really require that previously) are just tedious.
At the moment its quite fun - but i'm sure i'm going to get to some which I view as impossible. I like the fact it shows you which you have OCDed
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm stuck. :( Chapter 3 ->
Spoiler:
It's the "you've got to explode the head" level where you're given a boatload of matchstick headed goos and there are flames on either edge. Hovering above the spinny robot head of death is a sleeping spikey ball that I'm sure I need to wake up and drop on the robot head. However, I can't build a tower tall enough that doesn't sway into the flames or into the spinney robot head of death in the middle. I have even tried building towers on either side of the spinney head of death to try to stabilize against each other higher up, but then I run out of matchstick-headed goos. Advice?
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Padre

Post by Padre »

Spoiler:
You're doing the right things, Neal - two towers either side. Build close to the spinny head to conserve goo if you need to, although I can't recall that being a huge problem when I tried this level. This is one of the tougher ones in the game.
Padre

Post by Padre »

tals wrote:
yossar wrote:
At the moment its quite fun - but i'm sure i'm going to get to some which I view as impossible. I like the fact it shows you which you have OCDed
I managed to get the whole lot. It was fun! On the whole it required more creativity than pixel perfection. Key to many solutions was
Spoiler:
throwing goo around and using it to dislodge other sleeping goo, rather than attaching it to anything.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Thanks for the verification, Padre. I didn't realize that I was going to have to be ready for a dynamic response as things starting collapsing together.

Very fun game. Thanks to the OOFE (and ChrisGrenard) for getting me interested in this one.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad you like it, Meal. I'm surprised it took you this long to discover, being an engineer and all.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I've known of it since before CG was hosting the demo. But I haven't been purchasing a lot of games of late.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Started playing again, but I can't connect to the internet on it. Are the games servers dead?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lee wrote:Started playing again, but I can't connect to the internet on it. Are the games servers dead?
Hopefully not. They were just selling it for "best offer" recently.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

In for "pay what you want" at the last moment. Do not disappoint me!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Lee wrote:Started playing again, but I can't connect to the internet on it. Are the games servers dead?
I can't connect either. At first I thought it was my firewall, but then I saw a note somewhere on their website about a new improved leader board coming soon.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't mean to be "that guy", but so far, I just don't get the love for this game. Played a few levels, and it was pretty much the same as what I remember from the free web game. Everything seems well done, and the menu music is awesome (sounds like James Horner composing for Tim Burton), but the gameplay just doesn't scream "awesome" to me. I'm a little surprised all the reviews are as good as they are.

So why does World of Goo do it for you all? Not trolling; honestly curious.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I don't think it was the gameplay so much as the gameplay + art style + music :)
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm hooked. Sheer cuteness makes up for the repetition factor. It probably helps that I've almost never played any 2D/platform/side-scroller games, so the whole setup has a kind of retro-newness to it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Each new world adds a new game mechanic as well. As I recall, things start out relatively simple, but gameplay complexity increases as you move forward.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Sudy Nym wrote: So why does World of Goo do it for you all? Not trolling; honestly curious.
Because of the Sign Painter of course!
There must be some way to cross this pit.

Maybe if you fill it with the shattered pieces of those less fortunate than
you.

- the Sign Painter
Seriously, the way the story was told in World of Goo combined with the art style just created an amazing experience.
The Goo Balls were excited to explore the mysterious pipe system ...

... even if it meant traversing ridiculously contrived terrain.

One of the goo balls seemed to say he felt like an armadillo. Moo!

- love, the mysterious Sign Painter
'Be good.'

'MOM is watching.'