Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

Re: Random randomness

Post by Sudy »

Yeah, I've found it kind of annoying to have to switch to cloth when entering hospitals, but I understand they're doing that because they don't know if your mask comes from a reputable source or has been washed in the last month of use, etc. I didn't ask if I could wear my cloth mask over it. I've been double-masking in public indoor spaces (which I rarely have to visit) for a couple of months now. Mind you, Ontario's been seeing it's highest infection rates of the pandemic.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:38 pm Too bad there isn't a thread for this kind of bullshit discourse.
Blame Daehawk! The rest of us can't control ourselves. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Sudy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:33 pm That's kind of like saying birth control pills are 80-94% effective, so you're not going to bother wearing a condom/asking your partner to wear one, because you can't trust people to wear their condoms properly. That risk may be acceptable to you, but somebody out there's getting pregnant.
I disagree, because comparing the preventive effectiveness of cloth facial coverings (and the ability of the wearer to use them correctly) to inhibit airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2 to that of condoms preventing pregnancy are apples and oranges. But I don't get the impression this conversation is going anywhere fruitful, so I think it best that we simply agree to differ here and leave it at that.
Sudy wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:33 pmMany people may not wear masks properly, but there's never been any question they have a positive effect on transmission rates when they are worn properly. I'm not looking up stats to back me up on that one, but if you have research from multiple reputable sources that masks have zero effect across the board, I'll eat my hat.
I don't need any "research from multiple reputable sources" because no one here has suggested "masks have zero effect across the board," so let's not pretend they have.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It's OK I've already moved on.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well mowing took me 45 minutes this time. But weedeating took me almost an hours. Mowing is faster with a 42" riding mower compared to a 21" pushmower but I cant get into small spots with it like I could the push one. Also hills and steep banks are a no no now as well. So more weedeating.

Also this riding mower must have a 4 or 5 gal gas tank on it. Geez.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:37 pm
I will still wear a mask because last week people were filling bags with gas
Had I witnessed the public health abominations you've experienced, and were similarly consigned to eke out my days within the wretched bowels of New Jersey -- which reeks worse than Beelzebub's bilious bunghole -- I'd likely also opt for a Level A Hazmat Suit. :wink:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://newschannel9.com/news/local/1-w ... wilderness

That hiker was found dead. I guess that sheriff over estimated his ability. That sucks. Was hoping for better news but after 9 days figured.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:roll:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:12 pm So what? There's no "100% certainty" that clumsily-worn, flimsy cloth facial coverings prevent the infected from spreading COVID-19 either. But the effectiveness of the vaccine is what has dramatically slowed the spread of infection across the US rather than randos wearing cloth-chin diapers.
The point being, in terms of protecting the immunocompromised and others from the spread of COVID, vaccination is vastly superior than flimsy cloth chin-diapers.
Who pissed in your cornflakes? Does it harm you in any way if someone wears a mask?

Yes vaccination is great. But it is also fairly clear that mask use caused lower transmission. According to the CDC a vaccinated individual does not need to wear a mask but that statement doesn't make a mask some form of anti-science magic talisman or lucky charm. We all have different levels of risk aversion. Given that the vaccines are less effective against new variants such a B.1.351 I can understand some people's desire to continue with wearing a mask for a while longer.

I apologize to the rest of OO for continuing this here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm trying to raise my 80s particle board computer desk high enough to be a functional work bench. It is surprisingly difficult to find tall (5 inch) furniture risers for furniture without legs. At this point I'm about to give up and go with concrete blocks. It may end up looking white trashy, but at least it will work.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:46 pm I'm trying to raise my 80s particle board computer desk high enough to be a functional work bench. It is surprisingly difficult to find tall (5 inch) furniture risers for furniture without legs.
Look for stackable risers instead? (not sure if they go to 5", though)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lots of them come in 2" stackables. The problem is that then I'd be buying three sets.

Right now I'm exploring adding something to the top instead.
Anonymous Bosch

Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:00 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:12 pm So what? There's no "100% certainty" that clumsily-worn, flimsy cloth facial coverings prevent the infected from spreading COVID-19 either. But the effectiveness of the vaccine is what has dramatically slowed the spread of infection across the US rather than randos wearing cloth-chin diapers.
The point being, in terms of protecting the immunocompromised and others from the spread of COVID, vaccination is vastly superior than flimsy cloth chin-diapers.
Who pissed in your cornflakes? Does it harm you in any way if someone wears a mask?
I don't know what caused you to leap to the assumption that I am in any way pissed off here, but I am completely indifferent. And no, of course it does not harm me in any way if someone chooses to wear a mask, which is why I never said or implied that it does. I know how to use words. If that were what I meant, I would have said so unambiguously myself, without requiring your reinterpreted mischaracterization.
Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:00 amAccording to the CDC a vaccinated individual does not need to wear a mask
Indeed, I quoted the CDC verbatim.
Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:00 ambut that statement doesn't make a mask some form of anti-science magic talisman or lucky charm.
I suspect it does if/when Joe Shmoe wears their mask beneath their nose or chin. YMMV.
Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:00 amWe all have different levels of risk aversion. Given that the vaccines are less effective against new variants such a B.1.351 I can understand some people's desire to continue with wearing a mask for a while longer.
My point here is that regardless of your own personal choice to continue wearing a mask, you or I have absolutely no control over the behaviour of others while we are out and about. So realistically, if you're worried about others not wearing masks, the absolute best option most people can do right now is to get fully vaccinated (and yes, I do understand that option may not yet be available for youngsters and such, but my original post was specifically addressing someone already fully vaccinated). That does not in any way imply the vaccine is a panacea, provides "100% certainty," or will necessarily protect against each and every variant that emerges. But in comparison with trusting every Joe Schmoe around you to wear a suitable type of facial covering with such perfect precision so as to prevent airbone infection, vaccination provides an undeniably superior option. Such that even an institution as notoriously cautious as the CDC now recommends that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask or physically distance in any setting. Suffice to say, I don't believe it would be prudent for Daehawk's personal health and well-being to approach every unmasked Tennessean he runs across in Walmart and publicly scold them for not wearing a face mask. Discretion is the better part of valour, all the more so considering Daehawk has been fully vaccinated.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:38 pm Too bad there isn't a thread for this kind of bullshit discourse.
Anonymous Bosch

wonderpug wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:13 pm
Take it up with Madmarcus. Sudy and I already agreed to let sleeping dogs lie. I am not violating any rules by simply responding in kind to a post specifically addressed to me.

Nothing I have posted here is inherently political, and I largely choose to abstain from posting in the R&P forum where coherent, respectful dialogue goes to die, and have no interest in "The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process" (which I assume is the thread you and Blackhawk are referring to).
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Feel free to take it up with me. I don't believe that this is politics either.

Anonymous; I basically agree with your underlying thought. I do wonder why you are in such a foul and aggressive mood calling them chin diapers and comparing any thoughts of utility to superstitious belief in lucky socks. I guess I'm in a calm mood today (perhaps because I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in years :D ) but it felt very over the top.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wouldn't an actual diaper make a fairly effective mask?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:10 pm Feel free to take it up with me. I don't believe that this is politics either.

Anonymous; I basically agree with your underlying thought. I do wonder why you are in such a foul and aggressive mood calling them chin diapers and comparing any thoughts of utility to superstitious belief in lucky socks. I guess I'm in a calm mood today (perhaps because I haven't been in a Wal-Mart in years :D ) but it felt very over the top.
Rest assured, no anger was intended on my part. Perhaps it's just a difference in perception from that of an American (I assume, forgive me if I do so incorrectly) to that of a British ex-pat. But in my British lexicon, I wouldn't construe anything I have posted here as even remotely foul or aggressive. If anything, I used that particular terminology as a humorous observation of those who choose to wear their facial coverings beneath their nose or chin while out and about in public. Harsh as it may sound, and credit where it's due, I believe it was South Park that originally coined the term:

Suffice to say, I don't think it's that much of a stretch to suggest that in terms of any genuine preventive effectiveness, those who routinely choose to wear their masks beneath their chin or nose while out in public aren't terribly dissimilar to someone that believes in the protective value of their lucky pair of socks.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Maybe you're unaware that "face-diaper" is the popular term for masks among Covid-denier conspiracy theorists?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Anonymous Bosch

Holman wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:45 pm Maybe you're unaware that "face-diaper" is the popular term for masks among Covid-denier conspiracy theorists?
Be that as it may, within the context of my own remarks here in this thread, it's fairly self-evident I was using the terminology in very much same regard as South Park (i.e. clearly and specifically referring to those who choose to wear their masks beneath their chin/nose while out in public).
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

:lol: I love the differences in language! I wonder if it is due to age also? I'm an American expat (currently in Korea which explains the weird timing of my response) but I have been called Canadian before. To me "Who pissed in your cornflake?" has nothing to do with being pissed (which I reserve for really mad) or really drunk but is more or less "Why the bad mood?" And bad mood / foul mood are synonymous and have nothing to do with foul language!

Chin diaper does sound like something from South Park. I'm a little odd I guess but I don't find South Park funny. It's always felt too aggressively mean spirited. I'm not currently in the US so my view of the mask use there is filtered through my friends and family but mostly what I've heard is closer to either full on pretty decent mask wearing or completely not wearing them. So chin diaper and the assumption that you can't trust anyone to wear a mask properly feels crazy over the top.
Anonymous Bosch

Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:30 pm :lol: I love the differences in language! I wonder if it is due to age also? I'm an American expat (currently in Korea which explains the weird timing of my response) but I have been called Canadian before. To me "Who pissed in your cornflake?" has nothing to do with being pissed (which I reserve for really mad) or really drunk but is more or less "Why the bad mood?" And bad mood / foul mood are synonymous and have nothing to do with foul language!

Chin diaper does sound like something from South Park. I'm a little odd I guess but I don't find South Park funny. It's always felt too aggressively mean spirited. I'm not currently in the US so my view of the mask use there is filtered through my friends and family but mostly what I've heard is closer to either full on pretty decent mask wearing or completely not wearing them. So chin diaper and the assumption that you can't trust anyone to wear a mask properly feels crazy over the top.
Indeed, coming from the perspective of an ex-pat who now resides in Korea certainly would provide an entirely different outlook upon general adherence to suitable and correct mask-usage. But here in the US, I'd be shocked and stunned if even a single poster here who resides in the U.S. hasn't routinely witnessed someone wearing a mask while out in public in exactly the same manner as the South Park clip above. Granting such individuals the benefit of the doubt, I suspect that's at least partly because -- unlike Korea -- adherence to suitable and correct mask-usage remains a somewhat strange and unfamiliar concept for many Americans who don't have a medical background. Of course, for plenty of others, mask-usage (or lack thereof) has also become a form of political expression, which only makes matters worse.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A lot of this country has two faults..they're stubborn or stupid and sometimes both at once.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

This thread needs more sex and violins! No calming of temperatures and feelings! You are all here to entertain me!
Well, I'm too olde for sex but I'd like more violins! :tjg: :violin:

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:04 pm But here in the US, I'd be shocked and stunned if even a single poster here who resides in the U.S. hasn't routinely witnessed someone wearing a mask while out in public in exactly the same manner as the South Park clip above.
I will say that the friends and family I mentioned are those in the US. What they have talked about over the past year was the vast majority of people wearing masks at least over their mouths and mostly over their noses. I"m sure they have seen people wearing masks as chin diapers but that seems to be less common that your initial post implied. This even though they are in red areas and many of them are Trump supporters or at least Republicans who were willing to vote for him. They have also jumped on vaccinations. It probably matters that they are generally well off, well educated, and older. Perhaps the Wal-Mart demographic is much worse.

I'll see in a couple of weeks as I'll be heading back to the US at least partially because I can get vaccinated there while Korea has done a terrible job of getting vaccine doses.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'll skip the Two Cellos and go for something a little odder. I forget whether I have posted it here before but it has violins!

Anonymous Bosch

Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:08 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:04 pm But here in the US, I'd be shocked and stunned if even a single poster here who resides in the U.S. hasn't routinely witnessed someone wearing a mask while out in public in exactly the same manner as the South Park clip above.
I will say that the friends and family I mentioned are those in the US. What they have talked about over the past year was the vast majority of people wearing masks at least over their mouths and mostly over their noses. I"m sure they have seen people wearing masks as chin diapers but that seems to be less common that your initial post implied. This even though they are in red areas and many of them are Trump supporters or at least Republicans who were willing to vote for him. They have also jumped on vaccinations. It probably matters that they are generally well off, well educated, and older. Perhaps the Wal-Mart demographic is much worse.

I'll see in a couple of weeks as I'll be heading back to the US at least partially because I can get vaccinated there while Korea has done a terrible job of getting vaccine doses.
In fairness, plenty of states have already lifted their mask-mandates, and others like Tennessee, technically never even had one in the first place. Bearing in mind California still -- in theory -- has such a statewide mandate in effect, here's an illustrative case in point of the pent-up frustration and drunken revelry from plenty of younger individuals that took place just last night:

Nearly 150 arrested after TikTok birthday invite draws raucous crowd to Huntington Beach
latimes.com wrote:Nearly 150 people were arrested in Huntington Beach on Saturday night after a man’s TikTok video inviting people to his birthday party went viral and the city was overrun with unruly revelers, prompting authorities to issue an emergency overnight curfew, police said.

The event, dubbed Adrian’s kickback, drew at least 2,500 people, the Huntington Beach Police Department said in a statement.

Business owners, store clerks and residents of Huntington Beach described a raucous scene with what seemed like thousands of revelers — most of them in their teens or early 20s — crossing from the beach onto Pacific Coast Highway and clashing with police in the city’s downtown business district, some of them tagging storefronts, lighting fireworks and throwing bottles and other debris.

Officers from multiple law enforcement agencies showed up to try to disperse the crowd and keep vandals away from businesses in and around Main Street, at some point using tear gas, said Mark Matters, the owner of HQ Gastropub on Pacific Coast Highway and Sixth Street.

“You had children running in all different directions, and they just started tagging everything,” Matters said. “They tagged the whole front of my place.”

“The tear gas, you could smell it going into our place, just underneath the doors,” he said. “We closed our windows, we locked our front doors, and we had everyone go out the back.”

Matters, who is in his 50s, spoke Sunday morning as he finished cleaning graffiti from the windows and pressure-washing the sidewalk in front of his restaurant.

“It’s horrible, because they do it on the busiest days of the week, they do it on the weekends. And they shut down the businesses. And it’s just not right,” he said. “We’ve gone through enough with the pandemic and now have to deal with something like this.”

Some people allegedly threw bottles, rocks and fireworks at police officers, prompting a request for assistance from other agencies, according to Huntington Beach police. More than 150 officers from virtually all agencies in Orange County responded, police said. They had been standing by after police became aware of the social media posting earlier in the week.

The 121 adults and 28 juveniles arrested Saturday night will face charges of vandalism, failure to disperse, curfew violations and fireworks offenses, police said.
Suffice to say, those 2,500 youngsters weren't terribly concerned about masking up. Not that I am justifying it, but it won't surprise me in the least if/when there aren't plenty more like 'em across the rest of the country as summertime kicks in.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

1. Nobody has too much Lindsey Stirling in their life.

2. Chin diapers are funny.

3. We could all use more Lindsey Stirling.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Madmarcus wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:23 pm I'll skip the Two Cellos and go for something a little odder. I forget whether I have posted it here before but it has violins!

Ok, that was cool. I loved the whole 'East/West divide'.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont care for Lindsey Stirling or her silly moves.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

i don't really watch music videos. obviously I see them sometimes, but its just not my thing.
I like lindsay stirling, I own all her albums, and listen to them regularly, but I think her dancing is silly.
but also, I think most of the dancing on music videos is silly, which may be part of why I don't watch them.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't really know what Sterling's persona has developed in to but her original appeal was in her live shows precisely because in addition to hearing her play, she was performing her music. She was putting on a show. That energy, that performance, the playing as part of something else, or the something as part of playing is part of why you go to live show rather than listen to mp3.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Today I learned that Taiwan is on a hill overlooking China, accessible via the parking garage. They offer head scratching and free shipping.

Today I also learned that I have strange dreams.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Today I learned my stepsons were generous hardworking people.
Then I woke up.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I went like a month or longer without getting any scam calls. I've had four today. Now that I have a smart phone that recognizes these calls as scams beyond the caller ID, is there a way to auto silence them on an iphone?... I see I can silence unknown callers, which I don't want to do but I would love to silence any call apple/sprint recognize as scam likely.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:17 pm I went like a month or longer without getting any scam calls. I've had four today. Now that I have a smart phone that recognizes these calls as scams beyond the caller ID, is there a way to auto silence them on an iphone?
I have unknown numbers silenced (under Settings => Phone). I can get away with that. Others can not.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't have particularly strong opinions on Stirling's music. It's fine, I guess. I do find her videos to be unintentionally hilarious though, especially that Old West one. I don't think the intent was for me to be busting up laughing, but I certainly was.

She's also WAY overexposed here in Utah (because she's Mormon), so I'm a little tired of seeing her everywhere and hearing about how AMAZING she is. I'm guessing others wouldn't have to deal with that.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am others. I have a phone largely to receive calls from unknown callers. But I would love to silence only the Scam and Scam Likely callers.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

More than once by reflex I have touched a spam call notification because I want to block the caller, and the stupid iphone dials the number. I wonder if I can say, "Hey Siri, block this caller"...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter