Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Re: Random randomness

Post by Kasey Chang »

I no longer drive a car around San Francisco, but this is getting ridiculous:

Tourist family parked near Lombard Street, with members and 2 toddlers still inside the car, when they were subject to a smash and grab

Neighbors believe at least three teams in separate vehicles had been circling the area looking for victims, and have photos and surveillance video. Also, the bag is AirTagged (tm).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm just remembering (like, literally right now) that I saw Soul Asylum play back in 1994(?) at a concert. How that f did I black that memory out? Is this what getting old is like? Holy shit.

And yet the internet is telling me the show I have a ticket for doesn't exist. Did I slip through an alternative universe? Eric Stoltz was the star of Back to the Future, right???
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did I slip through an alternative universe? Eric Stoltz was the star of Back to the Future, right???
You're thinking Calvin Klein I believe.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:48 pm I'm just remembering (like, literally right now) that I saw Soul Asylum play back in 1994(?) at a concert. How that f did I black that memory out? Is this what getting old is like? Holy shit.

And yet the internet is telling me the show I have a ticket for doesn't exist. Did I slip through an alternative universe? Eric Stoltz was the star of Back to the Future, right???
You want the internet to have correct information about a thing that happened before recorded history?

just out of curiosity, I checked my big show of that timeframe and the internet tells me I am a genius.

https://www.nin.wiki/1994/08/27_Rochester,_NY
Nine Inch Nails played at the Auditorium Theatre in Rochester, New York, on August 27, 1994 as part of the Further Down The Spiral Tour. Marilyn Manson was the opening act.

Contents
Notes
The show marked the live debut of "Gave Up", "Mr. Self Destruct", "Piggy", "Eraser", "The Downward Spiral" and "Hurt".
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:07 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:48 pm I'm just remembering (like, literally right now) that I saw Soul Asylum play back in 1994(?) at a concert. How that f did I black that memory out? Is this what getting old is like? Holy shit.

You want the internet to have correct information about a thing that happened before recorded history?

just out of curiosity, I checked my big show of that timeframe and the internet tells me I am a genius.

https://www.nin.wiki/1994/08/27_Rochester,_NY
Nine Inch Nails played at the Auditorium Theatre in Rochester, New York, on August 27, 1994 as part of the Further Down The Spiral Tour. Marilyn Manson was the opening act.

Contents
Notes
The show marked the live debut of "Gave Up", "Mr. Self Destruct", "Piggy", "Eraser", "The Downward Spiral" and "Hurt".

That can't be right, can it? I swear they played "Pinion", "Wish", "Gave Up", and "Now I'm Nothing" at Lollapallooza before Broken was ever released. We were stoked at the new material. I wish I could find the cassette. We recorded their shows in Detroit and Chicago and got to listen to those songs quite a bit.

I also saw Soul Asylum not too long after. I got their "Can't fell the Beating" T Shirt to go along with J&MC "Choice of the Lost Generation" TShirt. I ended up seeing J&MC A lot circa the years around Automatic.

And speaking of old TShirts. $220 for a Now I'm Nothing TShirt, and not even the ones from circa 1990/1991. (New Year's Even at the Latin Quarter in my case)

https://www.ebay.com/p/837337923

Internet tells me he did "Physical" and "Wish" (Pinion) but not "Gave Up". Crazy how things blend together over time.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-inc ... 63220.html
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:48 pm I'm just remembering (like, literally right now) that I saw Soul Asylum play back in 1994(?) at a concert. How that f did I black that memory out? Is this what getting old is like? Holy shit
I saw Molly Hatchet in '86 at a show that the internet is insisting never happened. I had to call a friend of mine that went with me to confirm that I was not going insane and that we did actually attend the show.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Eight tornados (so far) and wife is responding to mass casualty event — after getting home after her usual 12+ hour day.

Ugh what a night and it ain’t over yet.
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those storms are due here around 11am. Should be weaker. Nasty stuff in December.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Tornado sirens are going off right now, but we don't have anywhere to shelter other than where we're at.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ahhhh shipping.....you'sa make'a the no sense
Spoiler:
Dec 11 @6:17 AM
Arrived at Post Office, Chattanooga, TN
Arrived at USPS Facility, Chattanooga, TN
Dec 11 @5:02 AM
Accepted at USPS Destination Sort Facility, Cleveland, TN
Dec 10 @12:56 PM
Sorted at UPS Facility, Morrow, GA
Dec 10 @12:55 PM
Dec 10 @12:54 PM
Dec 10 @10:32 AM
Depature Scan: Enroute to USPS, Morrow, GA
Dec 8 @5:54 AM
Departed UPS Facility, Urbancrest, OH
Dec 7 @10:51 PM
Package processed, Urbancrest, OH
Dec 7 @10:07 PM
Shipment Delivered to USPS, Package Acceptance Pending, Cleveland, TN
Dec 7 @3:10 AM
Package received for processing, Urbancrest, OH
Dec 6 @12:00 PM
Shipment tendered to UPS Mail Innovations, Hebron, KY
So it started in a state above me. Then went north to another state. Then flew south past me to the state below me. And twice it says it was in town and left. Did it pay for the scenic route?? Hope it got a window seat.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cephalopods Stun Experts After Passing Cognitive Test Designed For Children

Enlarge Image
In the past, dogs and primates have proven that they can cope with the Stanford Marshmallow Experiment. Last year, a cuttlefish also passed this test designed for human children.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:26 pm Ahhhh shipping.....you'sa make'a the no sense
Spoiler:
So it started in a state above me. Then went north to another state. Then flew south past me to the state below me. And twice it says it was in town and left. Did it pay for the scenic route?? Hope it got a window seat.

You ordered a storm and it came UPS?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't signed for it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:26 pm Ahhhh shipping.....you'sa make'a the no sense
Spoiler:
I spend a lot of time reading tracking these days. There were two different shipments there (of the same package.)

It started with UPS, which forwarded it from the local pickup to the distribution center in Ohio, at which point it was given to the USPS with directions to take it to TN (it was never in Tennessee at this point.)

The USPS then sent it to their sorting/distribution center in Georgia, who sent it on to you.

The thing that tends to throw people off is the idea of distribution centers. It's actually faster and easier for them to send every package to the distribution center to sort them than to try to send packages to hundreds of destinations from each town's local UPS store. This way the small stores all send their stuff out to one place, no sorting, no dozens of different trucks. Just everything going to one spot. It's like how I declutter the house sometimes - I take everything that doesn't belong and stick it on the bed, then sort it all out. That means that sometimes I carry it past the room it belongs in, but in the end, it's faster because I'm spending less time going back and forth.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah. And there's also the fact that an item might be scanned when it lands at a nearby airport where UPS (or whoever) doesn't have a distribution hub. It's cheaper and easier for them to fly the item a farther destination where they do have a greater capacity for moving items from planes to trucks.

This also applies to items on 18-wheelers in relation to the "last mile" brown trucks.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Now completely different topic...

48-yr old woman posed as her own (estranged) daughter, got student loan, attended college, even dated college guys

She seems to be between normal and a BBW. Do college guys really not see that she can't possibly be a 20-something?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:20 pm Now completely different topic...

48-yr old woman posed as her own (estranged) daughter, got student loan, attended college, even dated college guys

She seems to be between normal and a BBW. Do college guys really not see that she can't possibly be a 20-something?
Show up at the frat party after every bro is twenty beers in?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Motions in time to the rhythm. That is life.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:09 pm Motions in time to the rhythm. That is life.
Werd
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't know how not to be made angry by Tiktok/Instagram vertical video reposts that turn up on my Facebook and Youtube feeds.

But I also don't know how not to scroll through them occasionally. I mean I don't want to be annoyed. I just can't comprehend how I'm so out of tune with mainstream culture. Or worse, I contemplate that the majority of people aren't and that just makes me madder.

I mean most people seem so normal and difficult to loathe in person, in one-on-one scenarios. But stick them in a Tiktok video and Armageddon can't come soon enough.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Does anyone here still watch... TV... I literally can't remember the last time I watched network television (Yet another reminder that I'm years overdue for cutting the cord). A coworker tells me I have to watch American Auto on NBC, so now I have to figure out if/how my cable provider will let me stream NBC shows without signing up for Peacock.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We turned on the cable box to watch some of the Thanksgiving Day parade. That's about it for regular ol' TV in our household these days.

I am pretty sure that my son thinks I'm old-fashioned because I still watch actual shows instead of just YouTube videos.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:38 pm Does anyone here still watch... TV... I literally can't remember the last time I watched network television (Yet another reminder that I'm years overdue for cutting the cord). A coworker tells me I have to watch American Auto on NBC, so now I have to figure out if/how my cable provider will let me stream NBC shows without signing up for Peacock.
I still watch shows on Network TV. Not much, but I do. Still watch quite a bit on cable, too.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't regularly watch any episodic network TV these days. I'll sometimes turn on the local news or Colbert, though, and I do watch sports on network TV.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i use the rabbit ears exclusively.(but the TV is seldom on - when it is, it's mostly the PBS stations and subchannels, especially NHK World)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

As a 37-year-old I've never paid for cable in my life, though I did piggyback off other family members up until several years ago.

I was at my folks' over the weekend and played with their 1800-channel satellite package for a bit. Of course, they're not all channels you can watch... many are HD duplicates, music stations, premium channels they're not paying for, French, etc. But still, how the hell do you navigate 1800 channels? The guide function still operates like something 20 years old.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have tried a couple times when a network show appears compelling, but they never seem to pan out. I use my TV almost exclusively for sports and movies.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not had cable in a couple years now. I watched the Macys parade online. I dont pay for any streaming services.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is Resident Alien on a broadcast network? Kevin Can F**k Himself? Bob's Burgers? I get networks thru YouTube TV and don't pay much attention to what's on which channel -- it's all just YTTV to me.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Resident Alien - Basic Cable
Kevin Can F**k Himself? - ?? <Internet says AMC, so basic cable
Bob's Burgers? - Network TV
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

KA-CHING!

When you call your mechanic who's been working on your car for a week and a half and he says they haven't figured out what's wrong with it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 am KA-CHING!

When you call your mechanic who's been working on your car for a week and a half and he says they haven't figured out what's wrong with it.

Last week I had to cough up $1300 to fix a valve gasket, spark plugs, and ignition coil that killed my car. Most expensive repair ever paid for by me. In the before times, I would have just bought another car. In the before times, the Internet pegged the high average cost of replacement to be around $900 for this work with the real average being around $600. Still I got it repaired next day and I have a running car that I couldn't fix myself. It hurts and I'm generally old when it comes to seeing the eyes through inflation. My car, when new off the lot, priced under $13,000. But... I got a functional car back the next day.

I'm trying to budget upwards of $30,000 for my next car, but I'm hoping this car makes it well into 2023 and the bottleneck of supply crashes open then and I'm looking more toward $20,000. A guy can dream, right?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What does it mean when you tell Siri to do something and she says,"Working...working...something went wrong, please try again." If it knows something went wrong why doesn't it keep trying until something goes right?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Presuming I wasn't meant to read that in a Lewis Black voice, I'd presume it's either poor feedback scripting or something failed that might be expected to work normally upon a re-try, like a temporary connection failure. But yeah, it would be nice if it were more specific.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or there's an AWS outage.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Every time "Days Gone" makes it to the top of the gaming thread pile "Glycerine" by Bush starts playing in my head. I don't even notice the topic consciously. I end up just knowing it's the most current thread because the song is playing in my head. Stupid brain.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

yeah, amazon crashed hard again today. another day of irksomeness for me.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 am KA-CHING!

Engine shot. $2000 to put in a used one. Can't afford another car. Hope the truck lasts long enough to get it to the mechanic.
Wife is raining fire and brimstone upon me from worrying. Glad this shit doesn't bother me. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Two random thoughts as I sit here as it gets dark fast...its like day..BAM..night. Thanks sun.

Anyways.

1. I just saw a ratty ass Dodge Daytona / Plymouth Superbird go by. I haven't seen one in ages and there was one running. Its like an angel on Earth its so rare now days. Looked like my old friends blue Charger as the base and the stuff added on. He used to live down past me. Haven't seen him in 35 nearly. So odd a feeling seeing that car pass.

2. And the other thought is I bought some 'Great Value' brand breakfast sandwiches at Walmart the other day. Ive had two so far and damn man. Even if they are tasty I cant tell if Im eating a sandwich or plastic and Styrofoam infused with MSG and salt. Taste good but are nasty AF at the same time. Dense man Dense. Is this an egg??? IS this sausage?? And that is definitely not cheese no way man. And the biscuit is suss.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.