Star Wars: The Old Republic

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Daehawk »

Well Im at a dead end for my agent before I even got her restarted. Im nearing the end of play for my newest character. Im doing the final parts of Eternal Thrown DLC. After that its just the 2 small DLC releases. So wanted to restart my Agent. They are lvl 46. I 'think' I finished the original main storyline for her. But since Im lvl 46 and not 50 Im not so sure.

But I dont have a story quest. I did but it was to simply choose my 2nd class and I did that. Now I only show a lot of planets with 1 quest each at them. None are story quests. Stuff like voss, corellia, quesh.....lot of 3rd chapter planets. I dont have any droid to speak to on station to get a story quest from. Checked my handler at Dromund Koss. My ship console has nothing and actually wont even let me use it.

So have no idea where to go or what to do. I haven't played this character in 10 years Its af if the game thinks I am done and dont own any DLC.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm surprised EA hasn't put this on consoles yet. Seems like a perfect MMO to put on consoles.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

Pretty unwieldy to control with a gamepad.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not necessarily. I've played both DC Universe Online and Star Trek Online on consoles, and they've both made it work despite how complex the games are. Just needs a redefined control scheme.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yet again I forgot how hard that final fight in Eternal Throne is with Vaylin's spirit. Man she is mopping the floor with me repeatedly. I got so mad I just alt-F4'd it after the 3rd try. I was SO close. She had only a hair of life left...and I died...sucks. All that running and work..lost. Again. Over and over. I now recall the last time I did it it took me many tries of frustration. Not sure where the game will put me when I do get back to it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Done. Took a handful of more deaths on my part to get the cycle right. To this day and 25 characters I still dont know the light / dark stuff at the end in that final fight. I just press what lights up :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Having trouble with the patch. It wont patch. Just keeps failing wit han error then my only option is to repair files but if I click that nothing ever happens..0 kbs. Just sits there forever. Ive closed and restarted it multiple times to no avail.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Weirdness. I started the Sith dlc ...the last one. Went to Manaan. Seemed normal. I clicked a console to control a robot, moved the bot to a box to pick it up, then went to a door to exit. Then I was back in my own character with my npc companion but I cant leave the room Im in. No one is here. No npcs. No chat. I cant abandon the quest line. I cant walk up either ramp to leave. Its like a wall is there. The map shows me in the middle of nowhere when I open it. I filed a ticket. Its as if Im trapped in a mirror universe...weird.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have about a month lull before Xenoblade Chronicles 3 comes out, so I jumped back into this for a bit. Realized that I haven't actually played through the Bounty Hunter story before. Or if I did, it was so long ago that I don't remember a thing about it.

Looks like it has all changed significantly since I last played. Character creation looks different and the whole dual specialty selection thing is new. I went with a Maurader/Gunslinger combo, looked kinda fun. Doubt I'll actually get all the way through the story, but the first few hours last night were a blast.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

How's the combat these days? Is it still way overtuned and MMO floaty, or have there been any improvements?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:31 pm How's the combat these days? Is it still way overtuned and MMO floaty, or have there been any improvements?
Feels the same as it always has to me, but I don't mind. The GCD feels long compared to FF XIV, but other than that it's fine.

I play it because the story is fun and I like running around in a SW world. There's literally zero challenge to any of it anyways, unless you're doing dungeons or PvP.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Ah, thanks. The "no challenge" part (at least since they rebalanced long ago) has always vexed me. Not that I "want" to waste my time on meaningless combat, but without a little tactical gameplay it really does just feel like an adventure game. But I know I shouldn't have expected any major changes.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
JCC

Post by JCC »

There are multiple difficulty settings, so you can certainly remove "no challenge" if you want to. But, it's still an MMO from the old school - just with entertaining stories. (I still maintain all the class stories are fun and worth playing through at least once.) Some like the Imperial Agent are fun to replay since you can make some fun decisions that change the final result some. There are also some very funny moments. It's also amusing to play some of the Republic characters as selfish jerks.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

JCC wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:00 pm There are multiple difficulty settings, so you can certainly remove "no challenge" if you want to. But, it's still an MMO from the old school - just with entertaining stories. (I still maintain all the class stories are fun and worth playing through at least once.) Some like the Imperial Agent are fun to replay since you can make some fun decisions that change the final result some. There are also some very funny moments. It's also amusing to play some of the Republic characters as selfish jerks.
Thanks, I had forgotten that it had difficulty levels.

I’m playing through as a fully evil character this time, something I rarely ever do (I’m almost always a goody-two-shoes). The evil voice work for the male Bounty Hunter is really fantastic and adds a definite air of menace to the game. Really enjoying it so far.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mako loves you.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:20 pm I burned out again around the mid-50's.

I now have 5 different characters that I've gotten to around that same point and simply lost interest because the gameplay is so boring. :(
And again...burned out around level 50. Womp womp. Bounty Hunter story was kinda interesting but my god does the gameplay just get so, so incredibly dull.

Realized yesterday that there is literally no change at all in the gameplay between level 1 to level 50. For 50 levels, I did the exact same thing: Approach mobs, first AOE, single target DOT, second second AOE, single target attack (as needed), repeat until dead, move to next mobs. Leveling gave me a couple additional attacks that I could mix in, but there was nothing that really changed the standard rotation in 30+ hours. There are no combat mechanics during fights, no need to ever change up my rotation, etc. Switching to a harder difficulty doesn't do anything except make everything take longer, and I would occasionally have to mix in a healing skill.

For all the excellent writing and voice work, the general story structure never changes a bit either. Land on a planet, talk to person X, complete some combination of fetch X/kill Y number of mobs/kill Z person, move to next planet, repeat. There was some interesting flavor text around each of those, but it was ultimately the exact same thing on every planet.

It was also really annoying to have every one of my companions disagree with every single Dark Side action I took. If you allow me to play as an evil Bounty Hunter, maybe mix in a companion who is also actually evil? Just a thought...

It was good to get a Star Wars gaming fix, but I think I'll just reactivate my FFXIV sub for a month instead. At least it still has a few surprises up it's sleeve.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not to mention, that if you're playing as a Bounty Hunter, you'd understandably be picking up shady characters as companions, so the moral objections don't quite fit the theme. If these characters are hanging out in seedy spots, then why doth they protest so much? :D Would have been more interesting to have companions that actively encourage the player to make darkside decisions.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I think those are the reasons I could never get into it or always burned out quickly. It's a shame, because I really want to experience the stories. It would be so much better with an at least semi-action combat system. Something more like Wildstar or New World or any number of examples. It's not so bad if the mechanics are repetitive if the combat is actually fun.

I've got the MMOG itch again too, but I don't think there's anything that will relieve it. I paid a few months' subscription to ESO and probably only played for two hours. :?

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

With Knights of the Old Republic being remade, I'd almost expect for them to announce a new MMO set in the same era to go alongside it. I think the only thing keeping it alive right now is the fact that it's the only Star Wars MMO online now.

Another idea they could do now that the main saga is done is make an MMO that is set in multiple eras, similar to how there are different eras in Star Trek Online. Do something like Star Wars Galaxies, but instead of just being the OT, also have the PT and ST eras so that players can interact with all of them mainline characters and get quests from them.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Josh Strife Hayes (the best gaming Youtuber, imo) did SWTOR as part of his excellent "Worst MMO Ever" series a couple weeks ago. It's a really good look at what works in SWTOR and what doesn't.

He basically comes to the same conclusion as me: The world, writing, characters, and story are all excellent, but the struggles from boring combat and sheer repetition. It's long, but a really good watch.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I return every year. I just left a few weeks back after making a new Inquisitor and lvl'n them to max through all stories and DLC. I think its my 5th Inquisitor.

I would love to go back even now. Such fun. Im for the story and romance stuff. I dont do crafting or starfighter stuff. I just start at 0 and go to the end then quit each time. I really wish they would make a new one. I need new characters, new areas, a NEW ENGINE would be nice to look at. I like to dress my female characters to the nines baby :) My guys are all moody broody bad boys. Cept my smuggler. He's just a smart ass.

I have many multi millions of credits now days so when I start a new character I load them up and go. I once sold some little trinket for $100 million credits. Set me up good but nowhere near what some have in wealth in that game..Im talking billions.

Also Im in good guilds with each character I make. The boosts are nice...exp / damage / travel . Ive not had a character in ages that cant insta travel anywhere from anywhere and it refresh instantly too.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im playing and start talking to my npc story mission guy and Im thinking he sounds like Biff and Maniac....yup was Tom Wilson. That guy is distinctive.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Supposed to be something new and big coming soon to SWTOR. I dont know if its an expansion or what. You'd think with all the tv shows and such they'd have a fertile field to pick from.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm surprised they're still actually providing content to this. I thought that the recent switch to different developers meant they were more in a preserving mode rather than a content mode.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I decided to log in for the first time in 3 or 4 years, if not longer, only to discover that the battery had died in my OG collector's edition security key. The process for removing the "lost" key and then setting up Google Authenticator was pretty straight forward, although it takes just long enough for them to generate the one-time password emails that I was convinced that it was failing, or that the account had been hijacked and the emails were going to a different address. In the end, though, I'm back in and patiently waiting for the client to patch.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Lots of people on main station usually. But you play solo now days. ive leveled everyone and ran through the stories too many times. I would love to keep playing but nothing left to do.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

oh no. I'm having that star wars MMO itch again. I dont know what to do. There's nothing I haven't done before in the game. No new areas that I know of no new stories. Id have to re-tread over areas Ive played a millions times.

I wish they'd either make a totally new Star Wars MMO or some new big story based DLC for us.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:02 am No new areas that I know of no new stories. Id have to re-tread over areas Ive played a millions times.
Isn't that, like, your entire jam?