concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

YellowKing

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by YellowKing »

I've seen DMB several times. I wouldn't call myself a huge fan, but my brother is so he's brought me along to a few. Even if you don't like their music, they are phenomenal musicians and live performers. I mean they've been touring for 30+ years, so they know how to put on a show.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Seeing Stanley Jordan at the Blues Alley in DC in April. Didn't know who this guy was until today. But wow, I'm sold.

PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Round 6 of 70,000 Tons of Metal is in the books. Some minor drama aside (picked up an overly attached new friend that we couldn’t get rid of), we had a great time. Saw 37 sets over 4 days.

The best band - by a gorram mile - was Lord of the Lost. They were absolutely brilliant both times we saw them. Wind Rose (folk metal about dwarves) was a blast as well.

I did come to the realization that I am having concert fatigue. There’s just not many bands left that I’m terribly excited to see. Sometimes there’s one that will put on a particularly good show, but after 400+ shows, so many of them just feel like MOTS. Will probably scale back on concerts for a while this year.

Angra
Arion
Batushka
Blind Guardians
Crypta
Dalriada
Edinbridge
Einherjer (2)
Epica (2)
Fleshgod Apocalypse (2)
Grave Digger
I am the Night
Inhuman Condition
Kataklysm
Katatonia
Leaves Eyes
Lord of the Lost (2)
My Dying Bride
Nanowar of Steel
Omnium Gatherum
Saor (2)
Scar Symmetry
Serenity
Temperance
The Halo Effect
Threshold
Unleashed
Waltori
Warkings (2)
Wind Rose (2)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

disarm wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:44 pm
Exodor wrote:
disarm wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:05 pm I also just bought tickets to see Green Day/Smashing Pumpkins/Rancid/Linda Lindas in August. I haven't seen Green Day since the Nimrod tour in '97, and the Smashing Pumpkins were my favorite band in the late 90s (saw them twice back in their prime). I'm going with my brother, and we're taking our kids (three boys ages 10-12)... should be a great time!
Seeing this tour in Portland at our soccer stadium. Really looking forward to it - I saw Green Day on the American Idiot tour but I've never seen Smashing Pumpkins. Green Day plan to play all of Dookie and American Idiot each night which is awesome.

I kinda hate Rancid so I'll probably stand in the food/merch line during their set. :oops:
I haven't seen Green Day since the Nimrod tour in '97, back when they were playing for crowds of only a couple thousand in small theaters. The Smashing Pumpkins were my first concert ever during the Infinite Sadness tour in '96, then saw them again in 2000. I haven't seen Rancid before and actually like their older stuff, so looking forward to that. I was on the fence about going, but as soon as GD announced doing those two albums in full it sealed the deal.

I'm going with my brother and we're taking our kids (three boys 9-12yo), so should be a great time!
i remember in early 94 being given Operation Ivy's self-titled, Rancid's self-titled and Green Day's "Kerplunk!" CDs by an acquaintance at my community college to borrow - all at the same time, lol.

saw The Linda Lindas are the first opening band for this concert (at least on the west coast) - if that's the case for the ones you are going to, don't miss them
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LAMB OF GOD And MASTODON Announce North American Tour With Special Guest KERRY KING
The tour finds the two iconic bands join forces to celebrate the 20th anniversary of two seminal releases: LAMB OF GOD's biggest-selling album "Ashes Of The Wake" and MASTODON's acclaimed sophomore album "Leviathan", which were both released on August 31, 2004. Both bands will perform their respective albums in full. Special guests KERRY KING and MALEVOLENCE will support throughout the tour, with UNEARTH on select dates.

Kicking off on July 19 in Grand Prairie, Texas at the Texas Trust CU Theatre, the North American arena and amphitheater run will take them through the U.S. and Canada, culminating on the exact 20th anniversary of each album on August 31 in Omaha, Nebraska at the Astro Amphitheater. The tour will notably make stops at iconic venues such as Denver, Colorado's Red Rocks Amphitheatre and Los Angeles, California's Kia Forum.

Code: Select all

Jul. 19 - Grand Prairie, TX @ Texas Trust CU Theatre
Jul. 20 - Austin, TX @ Germania Insurance Amphitheater
Jul 21 - Houston, TX @ 713 Music Hall
Jul. 23 - Jacksonville, FL @ Daily's Place
Jul. 24 - Orlando, FL @ Orlando Amphitheater
Jul. 25 - Alpharetta, GA @ Ameris Bank Amphitheatre
Jul. 27 - Raleigh, NC @ The Red Hat Amphitheater
Jul. 28 - Richmond, VA @ Virgin Credit Union LIVE!
Jul. 30 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Stage AE
Jul. 31 - London, ON @ Budweiser Gardens
Aug. 01 - Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
Aug. 03 - Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena
Aug. 04 - Manchester, NH @ SNHU Arena
Aug. 06 - Bangor, ME @ Maine Savings Amphitheater
Aug. 08 - Reading, PA @ Santander Arena **
Aug. 09 - Cleveland, OH @ Jacobs Pavilion **
Aug. 10 - Sterling Heights, MI @ Michigan Lottery Amphitheatre @ Freedom Hill **
Aug. 13 - Moorhead, MN @ Bluestem Center For The Arts Amphitheater
Aug. 15 - Calgary, AB @ Scotiabank Saddledome
Aug. 16 - Penticton, BC @ South Okanagan Events Centre
Aug. 17 - Kent, WA @ accesso ShoWare Center
Aug. 18 - Portland, OR @ Theatre of the Clouds
Aug. 21 - Los Angeles, CA @ Kia Forum
Aug. 23 - Phoenix, AZ @ Arizona Financial Theatre
Aug. 24 - Rio Rancho NM @ Rio Rancho Events Center
Aug. 25 - El Paso, TX @ El Paso County Coliseum
Aug. 27 - Magna, UT @ The Great Saltair
Aug. 29 - Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre
Aug. 31 - Omaha, NE @ The Astro Amphitheater

**No MALEVOLENCE; support from KERRY KING and UNEARTH
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Brian

Post by Brian »

We saw a triple bill show at a smallish, local venue (The Admiral) on Saturday.
The two openers were Glyph and ElvenKing with the headliner being Alestorm.

Glyph is a new band, this being their first tour, but I liked their energy and sound.
The premise of the band is a little silly, they are from another planet and crashed on Earth, but no sillier than pirate based metal like Alestorm.
I intend to pick up their first album sometime this week.

Here's a taste:

The second act, ElvenKing is from a bit closer than Glyph, as they hail from Italy.
They've been around for more than a decade but I'd never heard of them before.
Theirs if more of a folk metal sound which I dig but, being the second act is tough cuz by that point, everybody just wanted to get to Alestorm.

Finally, Alestorm. They put on a high-energy, fun party atmosphere show. If you want to get your pirate on, these are the guys for you. Songs about drinking, sailing boats, sea battles, and hangovers were the order of the day. With songs from 1741 (The Battle of Cartegena), to Drink, P.A.R.T.Y., to the cover of Hangover, and even their evening ender, Fucked With An Anchor, these guys put on a fun, never to be taken seriously, show.

This one is age restricted so...

Last edited by Brian on Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Brian wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:57 am Finally, Alestorm. They put on a high-energy, fun party atmosphere show.
Alestorm is a really fun live band. Unfortunately, they're also a bunch of racist, misogynist dickbags. Their douchebag behavior is legendary on the 70K cruise, with a whole host of women speaking out publicly about what massive assholes they are.

While I really like both Alestorm and Gloryhammer's music, they're one of the very few bands that I refuse to support because of their off-the-stage behavior.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yeah, I was aware of the history and it's unfortunate but this one's been on my list for quite a while.
It's one of those art vs artist kind of things.
I mean, I still sometimes eat Nestle chocolate, I still (very rarely) eat at Chik-Fil-A and, on this one particular night, I went to an Alestorm concert.
It doesn't make what they did right but...I still wanted to see them live at least once.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Brian wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:28 am I still wanted to see them live at least once.
Understandable, as they do put on a hell of a show.
GnomeGlimmer

Post by GnomeGlimmer »

Your voice was the soundtrack of my summer :whistle: I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Aw, thanks!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Gary Numan and Frontline Assembly did a one-off show in SLC without Ministry last night.

Numan was absolutely brilliant. I have no idea how that man moves like that at 66 years old, but he had the entire venue absolutely entranced for 90+ minutes. It was a really great mix of old and new songs, his supporting cast was really sharp, and he just put on a wildly entertaining show. He has, quite unexpectedly, become one of my favorite live performers. It is always kinda funny to see the segment of the crowd who only knows him from "Cars" and figures they're going to see an 80's "one hit wonder" band, not realizing what Numan has been up to in the intervening years. Heard one older dude on the way out say "I thought he was new wave...what the hell was all that?" :lol:

Frontline Assembly continued their trend of being either absolutely fantastic or downright dreadful, unfortunately on the bottom end of the spectrum this time. Not sure if it's because they're at the tail end of a long tour or if he was just having a bad day, but Bill seemed to be having a really off night. He just sort of slowly shuffled around, bitched about the mic after every song (it sounded fine to us but apparently was having some issues on his end), and it was very obvious to everyone in the building that he had no interest in being there. He cut their set short after about 6 songs and just sort of stomped off the stage. They sounded fine, but the overall performance was just really disappointing. I've seen them 4 times now, two of which were fantastic and two of which were a complete mess.

Lastly, Wednesday night shows get harder and harder the older I get. It wasn't a high-energy mosh-pit type of show and I didn't get home terribly late (around 11:30), but I absolutely feel like I got hit by a truck this morning. Glad it was only two bands for this show...there's no way I could have made it through a third last night.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

School-night shows demand at least a half-day PTO the next day, if not a full day.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Seeing The Steve Miller Band in May.

Got tickets to see the Hoodoo Gurus again in Nashville later this year.
Went last year and met the owner of Lawrenceburg Bourbon Co.
Bought some bourbon from him and he signed it.
Meeting up with him again this year in Nashville for the concert.

That is not me reflected in the bottle. My friend took the picture of the bottle.
Enlarge Image
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Saw The Wallflowers tonight. This was purely a nostalgia show - I had Bringing Down the Horse and Breach that I listened to a lot when my wife and I were dating but didn't keep up with them after those. It was kind of a full circle experience of being able to see the band we started our relationship with.

As I mentioned earlier, our local amphitheater is a small 1000 seat venue right on the lake so it's very intimate and always a fun time. Literally not a bad seat in the house, and you're free to walk right up to the stage and hang out if you want.

It was a fun show, though aside from One Headlight and 6th Avenue Heartache they largely shied away from their early stuff. Probably the highlight of the night were the numerous covers they did, including Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic," a tribute to Dickey Betts with "Ramblin' Man," Cat Stevens' "Wild World" and a couple of Tom Petty tunes. Nothing earth-shattering but it was a great spring evening underneath an almost full moon just having a good time with 1000 other folks under the stars.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:06 am Gary Numan and Frontline Assembly did a one-off show in SLC without Ministry last night.

Numan was absolutely brilliant. I have no idea how that man moves like that at 66 years old, but he had the entire venue absolutely entranced for 90+ minutes. It was a really great mix of old and new songs, his supporting cast was really sharp, and he just put on a wildly entertaining show. He has, quite unexpectedly, become one of my favorite live performers. It is always kinda funny to see the segment of the crowd who only knows him from "Cars" and figures they're going to see an 80's "one hit wonder" band, not realizing what Numan has been up to in the intervening years. Heard one older dude on the way out say "I thought he was new wave...what the hell was all that?" :lol:
i really wish Numan would change up the setlists more - he's been doing more or less the same one for the past half decade, with the same 2-3 tracks off _The Pleasure Principle_ and the same 2 tracks from _Replicas_ and the rest of the set are more or less the same songs from the same 'newer' albums.. i've skipped the last two tours because of this.

i would instantly go again - and probably pay a premium for - if he would do, say, a 'forgotten years' set of 1980s tracks (from _Telekon_, _Dance_, _I, Assassin_, _Warriors_, Berzerker_, etc*) that he rarely or never performs live anymore.

* and if you don't know these albums, go check them out. he was in a fairly adventurous and experimental mode in the early 80s that is a completely different sound from the samey Nine Inch Nails-alike sonics he's been using for the past two decades+. unfortunately, all the albums he released on his own NUMA label from the mid-80s to the mid-90s are all out of print. i've been trying to track down a CD copy of _Berzerker_ that's not $60+ for a while now)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Man, good folk metal shows are just the best.

We hit the Wind Rose show last night instead of the Amon Amarth/Cannibal Corpse/Obituary bill. That's a choice I probably never would have made 10 years ago, but it turned out to definitely be the correct one. Wind Rose was an absolute blast.

They play incredibly silly and earnest "dwarven folk metal" with tons of bouncy songs about drinking ale, fighting dragons, hating elves, and - of course - mining. The entre place was filled to capacity with inflatable pickaxes and swords, dwarf helmets, ridiculous fake (and real) beards, row pits, and a shitload of people just dancing around having a damn good time. It was so much fun, even if it's going to make today a bugger because I have to conduct meetings all day with absolutely no voice. Worth it. :)

Didn't get any video last night, but this was from when we saw them on the cruise back in February. Thankfully, there were no f-ing crowd surfers (the plague of any concert) last night.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Now I'm going around the house singing "Diggy Diggy Hole" to the confusion of my wife. I'm going to have to clip it for one of my morning wake-up alarms. Thanks, Skinypupy.

My oldest daughter keeps telling me the Yogcast did it better years ago. Sigh.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon