concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Formix

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by Formix »

Kurth wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:44 pm Saw U2 do Auchtung Baby at the Sphere in Las Vegas last night. Amazing!!
Where were your seats? Mine were in 109. but under the overhang. Great shot of the band, less so of the screen. I couldn't resist, I bought GA RED tickets to go back in Feb.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Formix wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 4:30 am
Kurth wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:44 pm Saw U2 do Auchtung Baby at the Sphere in Las Vegas last night. Amazing!!
Where were your seats? Mine were in 109. but under the overhang. Great shot of the band, less so of the screen. I couldn't resist, I bought GA RED tickets to go back in Feb.
We were in 309. Kind of the reverse. Great views of the screen, but the band on stage was pretty far away.

GA is gonna be nuts! Good for you. Have fun, and report back.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Green Day & Smashing Pumpkins are doing a stadium tour next year and now that Portland is using their MLS stadium for shows I'll be able to go!

Pre-Sale is tomorrow and I'm already dreading the ticket price. $250 each, probably? That's about what I paid for Foo Fighters at the same venue.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

There was a pre pre sale today for certain people and nosebleeds in Citi field were around 100 bucks. That + parking and food I'll pass. We saw Smashing Pumpkins in August and they played A LOT of obscure stuff. Maybe as they aren't the headliner they will dial it down a notch.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've been monitoring the resale tickets for DEVO tonight and they're still too expensive for me.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Just got back from Ace of Spades a music venue\bar seeing Switchfoot. Their hit album turned 20 this year and they went on tour playing the entire album plus other of their songs. Switchfoot is very engaging with the audience so the shows are always fun. One of the things they do is get song suggestions. They were about to tell the crowd what song a person wanted when all of a sudden the fire alarm went off. It turned out to be a false alarm, because I was having flashbacks of that concert that was deadly. After things went back to normal, they revealed the song that was selected. And as if it was planned, the song was "If the house burnt down tonight" Either a huge coincidence, or staged.

Music was great, sound was good, and full of energy.

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I wasn't super interested, but a kind acquaintance bought me a ticket to Full of Hell (grindcore/noise), END (grindcore/metalcore), Wake (black/death), and Inter Arma (sludge/black/death/post-metal) so now I'm compelled to go lol.

I've seen Wake before and really like them, but I'd never listened to any of the others. I'm really, really digging Inter Arma's cover album, Garbers Days Revisited (2020).

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Full of Hell is intense live.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I just got home from my first time experiencing Tool live... unbelievable musical performance and visually stunning. It's hard to even describe because it's so different than most other concerts, but they were amazing.

Another off the bucket list!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sphere to show Las Vegas Grand Prix content in real-time, including pole position, driver cards
Sphere Entertainment Co. and the Las Vegas Grand Prix announced Wednesday there will be live race-related content appearing on the outside of Sphere leading up to and during the race.

According to a release, Grand Prix content created for the Sphere will be displayed on the Exosphere “in celebration of Las Vegas’ inaugural race weekend.”

Race Week in Las Vegas officially kicked off on Tuesday with The Netflix Cup, which marked the first time the Exosphere’s content was cued live with a sporting event.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

went to my eighth Depeche Mode world tour concert (over the past three decades) last night. Dave was in _fine_ vocal form and brought an extra interpretive edge to a few tracks ("It's No Good" stood out in particular) that i don't recall hearing from him before. the two setlist surprises were Martin doing a lounge version of "Strangelove" and a somewhat reworked "John the Revelator" which seemed to come from nowhere. but having seen them sooo many times, i'm well tired of the usual standbys they include (they're still playing over half of _Violator_ and a good chunk of _Songs of Faith and Devotion_). i am not super into any of their albums after Alan left in 1995, but would like a more varied setlist...

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... dge-arena/
comments were complaining they didn't do "People Are People" lol (a track which they more or less disowned decades ago)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Blind Guardian tickets go on sale tomorrow for a U.S./Canada leg in April/May.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We saw Postcards From Earth at The Sphere in Vegas last week and it was amazing. The place is a true technical marvel...
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm sitting in Madison Square Garden right now, waiting for KISS to take the stage for their final show ever...and I have my 9yo son by my side. Neither of us have seen them before, but now we'll have a memory to share forever. We're ready to rock!ImageImageImage
disarm

Post by disarm »

Last night's KISS show was amazing. I'm not a huge fan, but had never seen them before and last night was likely the last chance I would ever get...and it was amazing. One of the most fun concerts I've seen, and my son absolutely loved it!

Now the world waits to see if last night really was the end of a 50-year career...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Glad you had a good time. I wouldn't call myself a particularly huge KISS fan, but I've seen them twice with Motley Crue and they were both really fun shows. Worth seeing even as a casual fan just for the good old-fashioned rock theatrics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NOW you tell us.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:10 pm Blind Guardian tickets go on sale tomorrow for a U.S./Canada leg in April/May.
I'll be seeing them on the boat in January. 8-) They're coming back on tour later in the spring, not sure if I'm a big enough fan to catch them again.

Amon Amarth, Cannibal Corpse, Obituary, and Frozen Soul just announced a US tour this spring. That might be fun.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

My brother tossed out the suggestion of going to see Adam Ant and The English Beat. Interesting for a second but somehow I don't think either one is going to made a great live show 40 years after they were hits. Pass.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:24 pm My brother tossed out the suggestion of going to see Adam Ant and The English Beat. Interesting for a second but somehow I don't think either one is going to made a great live show 40 years after they were hits. Pass.
Dunno man, I thought that about Numan and he absolutely blew my mind.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Of course he's still living. Rankin Roger is dead and while I've heard that Ant is still a good performer I'm not sure I'm interested in an almost 70 year old guy do his material from the 80s.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Madmarcus wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:24 pm My brother tossed out the suggestion of going to see Adam Ant and The English Beat. Interesting for a second but somehow I don't think either one is going to made a great live show 40 years after they were hits. Pass.
i have seen both in their current incarnations and can say The Beat are still very good (they've incorporated members from The Specials and The Selector and did tracks from those bands as well as General Public, Dave Wakeling's solo material and a few reggae covers, but Ranking Roger has died since i saw them) and Adam Ant was entertaining (and played a _very_ long set)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Adam Ant played two sets, an entire evening, when I saw him last, I dunno, maybe 12 years ago? I enjoyed the show immensely but it was not like the thing evar! It even felt a bit long as probably 2.5 hours of performance left us with a lot more music than I had familiarity with and the place was too crowded and hot for that.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Got excited when I saw that Death Cab for Cutie and The Postal Service had a Portland date!

Then I saw it was at the basketball arena and floor/ close up tickets are $225.

No way I'm spending that much to see a band in a venue that's way too big for them. Maybe next time (there won't be a next time for The Postal Service but... meh)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

going to Berlin end of January for CTM - schedule/lineup just posted: https://www.ctm-festival.de/festival-20 ... me/artists

(also will be making stops in Copenhagen and Prague along the way)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:52 pm going to Berlin end of January for CTM - schedule/lineup just posted: https://www.ctm-festival.de/festival-20 ... me/artists

What sort of music is that? Looked through the list and didn’t see a single name I recognized, or could even guess on putting a genre to.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Madmarcus wrote:My brother tossed out the suggestion of going to see Adam Ant and The English Beat. Interesting for a second but somehow I don't think either one is going to made a great live show 40 years after they were hits. Pass.
We've seen both in the past decade and they were a blast.

One cool thing about Adam Ant is that because his music was so percussion oriented, they do the show with 2 full drum kits and drummers. When we saw him, he didn't have a horn section, but rather did those songs with additional guitar work, but it came out as a good twist on the older songs with horns.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:00 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:52 pm going to Berlin end of January for CTM - schedule/lineup just posted: https://www.ctm-festival.de/festival-20 ... me/artists

What sort of music is that? Looked through the list and didn’t see a single name I recognized, or could even guess on putting a genre to.
lots of experimental, avante-garde, artsy electronics synthesists, composers and some really under-the-radar dance music DJs (and a few not so much so)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got tickets to see The Wallflowers in April as a Christmas surprise for my wife.

I was a pretty big fan in the 90s. Their second album "Bringing Down the Horse" is an all-time classic, and I thought their follow-up Breach was pretty damn good too. I didn't listen to anything after that, but those two albums hold a lot of nostalgia for me. My wife loved them and we used to listen to those albums all the time while we were dating.

What particularly interested me about this show is that they're performing at our local little lake amphitheater. It's a really small venue, just 1200 seats, so every show there just feels super intimate and laid back. I've literally never had a bad show there; every seat is superb and the atmosphere of being outside by the lake surrounded by trees is pretty magical.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm a week away from seeing Extreme and Living Colour kick ass with some old school guitar rock... should be a pretty awesome show thanks to two insanely talented guitarists leading the way.

I also just bought tickets to see Green Day/Smashing Pumpkins/Rancid/Linda Lindas in August. I haven't seen Green Day since the Nimrod tour in '97, and the Smashing Pumpkins were my favorite band in the late 90s (saw them twice back in their prime). I'm going with my brother, and we're taking our kids (three boys ages 10-12)... should be a great time!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:12 pm
What particularly interested me about this show is that they're performing at our local little lake amphitheater. It's a really small venue, just 1200 seats, so every show there just feels super intimate and laid back. I've literally never had a bad show there; every seat is superb and the atmosphere of being outside by the lake surrounded by trees is pretty magical.
Local amphiteatres are the best. I haven't been to an arena show in a very long time. Been attending our local music festival, and the main stage is at our amphitheatre, and it always has the best sound.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Leaving tomorrow for 70,000 Tons of Metal, Round 6. Very excited to get back on the cruise after 4 years away.

Oddly, it'll be the first one I've done where there isn't "THAT band(s)" that I'm really super stoked to see. Most of the bands I like I have already seen half a dozen times already. That's not a bad thing, mind you, and I'm actually kinda looking forward to a much more chill 70K. I'll be perfectly content to wander around with a pina colada and catch whoever happens to be playing instead of sprinting from venue to venue because I have to see a particular band. :)
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

disarm wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:05 pm I also just bought tickets to see Green Day/Smashing Pumpkins/Rancid/Linda Lindas in August. I haven't seen Green Day since the Nimrod tour in '97, and the Smashing Pumpkins were my favorite band in the late 90s (saw them twice back in their prime). I'm going with my brother, and we're taking our kids (three boys ages 10-12)... should be a great time!
Seeing this tour in Portland at our soccer stadium. Really looking forward to it - I saw Green Day on the American Idiot tour but I've never seen Smashing Pumpkins. Green Day plan to play all of Dookie and American Idiot each night which is awesome.

I kinda hate Rancid so I'll probably stand in the food/merch line during their set. :oops:
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

On my radar:

Mutant Man with ?

Author & Punisher with Morne and Glassing

I'd like to see Korpiklaani but I have little interest in the supporting acts. (Visions of Atlantis, Illumishade)

Týr, TrollfesT, Aether Realm, and The Dread Crew of Oddwood... maybe. They're playing a really small venue.

disarm

Post by disarm »

Exodor wrote:
disarm wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:05 pm I also just bought tickets to see Green Day/Smashing Pumpkins/Rancid/Linda Lindas in August. I haven't seen Green Day since the Nimrod tour in '97, and the Smashing Pumpkins were my favorite band in the late 90s (saw them twice back in their prime). I'm going with my brother, and we're taking our kids (three boys ages 10-12)... should be a great time!
Seeing this tour in Portland at our soccer stadium. Really looking forward to it - I saw Green Day on the American Idiot tour but I've never seen Smashing Pumpkins. Green Day plan to play all of Dookie and American Idiot each night which is awesome.

I kinda hate Rancid so I'll probably stand in the food/merch line during their set. :oops:
I haven't seen Green Day since the Nimrod tour in '97, back when they were playing for crowds of only a couple thousand in small theaters. The Smashing Pumpkins were my first concert ever during the Infinite Sadness tour in '96, then saw them again in 2000. I haven't seen Rancid before and actually like their older stuff, so looking forward to that. I was on the fence about going, but as soon as GD announced doing those two albums in full it sealed the deal.

I'm going with my brother and we're taking our kids (three boys 9-12yo), so should be a great time!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:22 pm On my radar:

Mutant Man with ?
Meh
I'd like to see Korpiklaani but I have little interest in the supporting acts. (Visions of Atlantis, Illumishade)
Meh. Korpiklaani not nearly as fun as you’d expect them to be for a goody folk metal band.
Týr, TrollfesT, Aether Realm, and The Dread Crew of Oddwood... maybe. They're playing a really small venue.
Abso-fucking-lutely. I’m seriously bummed this one isn’t coming here, it will be a blast.

Last time I saw Trollfest, they led a headbanging conga line around the entire venue. It was awesome.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

You're not exactly selling it for me I prefer as little interactivity as possible at concerts. :lol:

I had tickets for Týr w/ Heidevolk, Trollfest, and Metsatöll before the pandemic but it never happened. :cry:

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sudy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:32 pm You're not exactly selling it for me I prefer as little interactivity as possible at concerts. :lol:
😂

If it helps, all four bands are excellent live, even if you don’t want to join in the silliness.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Saw Extreme and Living Colour last night...amazing performances by both bands. Nuno Bettencourt is an absolute beast on guitar and totally stole the show (as expected).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Wife asked me if I would go see Dave Matthews Band... I think she was a bit disappointed in the silence that followed as I tried to come up with a polite way to say no.

I have basically no interest in seeing any concert ( I already have raging tinnitus, thanks). There are some shows I probably would go see ... no, actually there may not be. I'm too cheap, I hate dealing with the traffic and I am pretty happy just listening to the music at home -- live shows don't have an upside for me), but DMB is NOT one of them.

Then she said they are coming to town around her 50th birthday and now I feel really bad.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter