Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: Good news, everyone! Netflix jacking prices again!

Post by Rumpy »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:09 pm
Rumpy wrote:It seems like there's far less on Netflix these days, especially on the Canadian version. It feels very lean right now and I see things reappearing much more quickly than they have in the past.
Craziness, at least in America. If Netflix deleted everything that wasn't a Netflix original tomorrow, I'd still never catch up.

They've reached the tipping point of being worth it just on their own content, fore at least.
Yeah, and it depends how much one finds worth in their own content. It varies so widely. Anyhow, I find it often recommends me stuff that I've already seen. And when I browse, I always come upon the same stuff in nearly every category.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:09 pm
Rumpy wrote:It seems like there's far less on Netflix these days, especially on the Canadian version. It feels very lean right now and I see things reappearing much more quickly than they have in the past.
Craziness, at least in America. If Netflix deleted everything that wasn't a Netflix original tomorrow, I'd still never catch up.

They've reached the tipping point of being worth it just on their own content, fore at least.
Ditto. What I love about Netflix is the wealth of international shows that I never would've come across without them. That alone would easily make the cost worthwhile. But throw in all the domestic stuff and their own original material and I feel that the cost is still well worth it.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:31 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:31 pmFrom what I've heard, Netflix content for children in particular is already a fairly weak area for them.
Really? It seems to me that there is an amazing wealth of content for kids, and it feels like there's new stuff added nearly every time they log in. What little I've sat down and watched with them is quite well done.

Granted, it's not Disney IP, but there's more than enough content for them in Netflix. Enough that I'm not likely to jump over to the Disney streaming service any time soon (I have zero personal interest, outside of the potential Star Wars stuff)
I cannot really speak to it myself. But it wasn't a matter of quantity, but rather of quality. I recall hearing from several parents that they'd come across a great deal more chaff than wheat, so to speak, in terms of the quality of Netflix content aimed at younger children. Of course, those opinions may well have been subjective, but I cannot help but think it's likely to be difficult for Netflix to compete in that arena against the likes of Disney/Pixar/Star Wars/Marvel and so on.
Ah. Other kids must be pickier than me and mine then, because I've never heard a complaint. As long as they've got Pokemon, Ninjago, and Power Rangers to watch, they're perfectly happy.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:09 pm If Netflix deleted everything that wasn't a Netflix original tomorrow, I'd still never catch up.
Yup. Netflix originals have been 80% of our TV time for the past two years and our "want to watch" list is ever growing. Note: "our" means my wife and I together, which constitutes about 6 hour per week. It's not a very high bar. ;)

Regarding what the kids are watching, I have no idea what its a netflix original and what is not, but they are never lacking for something to watch.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Flipping through the list of Netlix original kid content, my kids would vouch for...
  • StoryBots - great educational "how things work" show with fun celebrity cameos for the grown-ups to spot
  • Carmen Sandiego - the kids just started watching this one, but seems pretty good so far
  • True and the Rainbow Kingdom - my kids love this one
  • Voltron: Legendary Defender - pretty awesome Voltron reboot with an actual plotline that carries across episodes
  • Stretch Armstrong - my son loves it
  • Super Monsters - both kids love it
  • Epic Tales of Captain Underpants - both kids love
  • Inspector Gadget - both kids love, fairly true-to-original reboot
  • She-Ra Something Something - kids only recently tried for the first time, but seems promising
stessier

Post by stessier »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 am Flipping through the list of Netlix original kid content, my kids would vouch for...
  • StoryBots - great educational "how things work" show with fun celebrity cameos for the grown-ups to spot
  • Carmen Sandiego - the kids just started watching this one, but seems pretty good so far
  • Voltron: Legendary Defender - pretty awesome Voltron reboot with an actual plotline that carries across episodes
  • She-Ra Something Something - kids only recently tried for the first time, but seems promising
Dragon Prince!! - It can be dark but is very good.
Leap - a surprisingly good movie about a ballet dancer

She-Ra was a fan favorite in our house as well.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:56 am Flipping through the list of Netlix original kid content, my kids would vouch for...
All of these are big at our house as well.

My kids also dig the "Boss Baby" series (which I admit I find mildly amusing as well) and "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir" (one I don't understand at all, but they love it)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The Captain Underpants series is incredibly entertaining, we laugh every time, even though we have watched the whole run a couple of times. Also the theme song is performed by Weird Al, if that flips your lid.

I wish that youtube had a clip of Other Sophie to share, so yo could see the Valley Girl complain about a sloth walking too slowly.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Guillermo del Toro's Trollhunter series is really well done. It's a planned trilogy, (Trilogy of Arcadia) and I'm looking forward to the final part bringing the worlds of magic and science fiction together in one big finale when the third part comes to Netflix.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There is a Roku channel devoted to Pokemon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Can you watch streaming movies whenever you want or is there some kind of wait list or down time or something?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:28 pm Can you watch streaming movies whenever you want or is there some kind of wait list or down time or something?
Any time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Thanks!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:47 pmThanks!
Unfortunately you still have to sleep, eat, and use the toilet.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Although not concurrently.

...I hope.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Best take I saw was 'Netflix would like one dollar per month more to cancel your favorite shows after three seasons.'
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's only been a year since the last hike. I'm not pleased.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Disney+ and YouTubeTV have been getting noticably more screen time in our household vs. Netflix lately. Not that I'm near cancelling but it's fallen to #3. Hanging out down there with Amazon Prime Vidya.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The streaming media company said Friday it is raising the prices on its plans in the United States and Canada.

In the United States, the subscription price for the standard plan rose $1.50 to $15.49. The basic plan went up $1 to $9.99 and the premium plan increased $2 to $19.99

In Canada, the price for Netflix's standard plan also went up $1.50 to $16.49 Canadian. The premium plan went up $2 to $20.99 Canadian. Its basic plan was unchanged.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trying to catch up to cable prices.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:45 pm Best take I saw was 'Netflix would like one dollar per month more to cancel your favorite shows after three seasons.'
Except two dollars per month (for me).

Edit: Haha, oops I see that was from a while back.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

While they're adjusting their plans, someone should tell them that it's 2022, and charging extra for 4K shouldn't be a thing.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 pm While they're adjusting their plans, someone should tell them that it's 2022, and charging extra for 4K shouldn't be a thing.
but maybe that's their actual price now, and streaming standard HD gets you a discount
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:35 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:45 pm Best take I saw was 'Netflix would like one dollar per month more to cancel your favorite shows after three seasons.'
Except two dollars per month (for me).

Edit: Haha, oops I see that was from a while back.
That's a good take. I'd also say, they want more of money to keep producing shitty movies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Of the services I pay for, Netflix is the one I watch the least. I downgraded from premium to standard. If I notice a difference I can always change back...but I probably won't notice.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Most of what I enjoyed on Netflix ended or was cancelled long ago. I know I'd find decent original content if I poked around, but I've got far too much other stuff on my list already. For movies though, no individual streaming service has been worthwhile.

Crave comes the closest to good in Canada... they did away with their $9.99 tier (which annoys me), and now just charge a flat $20 for almost all their content. But considering that includes current HBO content and quite a few high profile, recent release movies, I was really able to justify re-subscribing this month. I'm sure I'll put them on hiatus again though once I get caught up on all the HBO, Showtime, and Paramount content I've missed.

Watching movies on streaming platforms just continues to be a nightmare. I've got to search everything though Justwatch.com just to know if it's available anywhere. Then I have to decide between paying a $4-5 digital rental fee and [REDACTED]. Often, there isn't even anywhere to rent from, and I'm not paying $25 to "buy" and watch a movie once only for the service to likely screw me on the license eventually. At that point, I really have no problem with [REDACTED] at all.

I know it will never happen because of greed, but we're far beyond having the technology to completely digitize, archive, and unify all of film history by this point. It's so frustrating we're not using it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I must admit to redacting a few times for similar reasons.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Are you that paranoid that even typing that word is somehow going to get you in trouble? Wow.
Odds that some US agency has the desire AND the manpower to be "listening" for keyword [redacted] 2%
Odds that they are listening to THIS particular tiny mote of a forum compared to say, Reddit. .0000008%
Odds that even if you blatantly stated that you had in fact, redacted, and will continue to do so, and stated your full legal name, etc....that ANYthing would happen? .002%

:P
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:03 am

Crave comes the closest to good in Canada... they did away with their $9.99 tier (which annoys me), and now just charge a flat $20 for almost all their content. But considering that includes current HBO content and quite a few high profile, recent release movies, I was really able to justify re-subscribing this month. I'm sure I'll put them on hiatus again though once I get caught up on all the HBO, Showtime, and Paramount content I've missed.

It's better than nothing, but I have to use Crave via the DVR's on-demand functionality. I hardly use it because it's so slow and laggy, and there isn't even a search function which makes finding anything a chore. I've tried and tried getting Crave to work on my other devices through our cable company (Eastlink) but they've made it practically impossible seeing as they retired their 'streaming setup' app with no replacement that I know of. Last time I called to try to get help, they kept having me try to log in via their website, but it wasn't doing anything and meanwhile they were getting frustrated with me not doing what I was told!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I sooooooo wish I couldn't see a huge difference between the standard HD package and the 4K one. It would drive me insane to downgrade the picture quality.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I sooooooo wish I couldn't see a huge difference between the standard HD package and the 4K one. It would drive me insane to downgrade the picture quality.
I feel your pain. It really chaps my hide I have to pay for the extra resolution, but I've got a brand new 4K TV that I can't sully with inferior picture quality. :coffee:
naednek

Post by naednek »

Just got an email saying my rate is increasing to 15.49. thought we just had a rate increase a few months ago

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

naednek wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:12 am Just got an email saying my rate is increasing to 15.49. thought we just had a rate increase a few months ago

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Wasn't that the recent rate increase? That's what mine just went up to.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

naednek wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:12 am Just got an email saying my rate is increasing to 15.49. thought we just had a rate increase a few months ago
They said they were gonna (the original notification) and now they just notified you that they did.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just now got this price hike.

Old $13.99
New $15.49 (starting July 30)

I wonder why it hit me 3+ months after you guys...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:56 am I just now got this price hike.

Old $13.99
New $15.49 (starting July 30)

I wonder why it hit me 3+ months after you guys...
Different financial quarter, probably.

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just dropped them again. I'd been with them this time about one month. I binge watched every day but once again it boiled down to not having a very good selection of movies. I wanted to see old movies like from the thirties and forties of which they have about six. Like two Clint Eastwood movies. One cowboy movie before 1980. every time I'd search for a favorite actor of mine I would maybe two or three choices. No Batman series. Saw all the TV series' that I was interested in.
<sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:28 am I just dropped them again. I'd been with them this time about one month. I binge watched every day but once again it boiled down to not having a very good selection of movies. I wanted to see old movies like from the thirties and forties of which they have about six. Like two Clint Eastwood movies. One cowboy movie before 1980. every time I'd search for a favorite actor of mine I would maybe two or three choices. No Batman series. Saw all the TV series' that I was interested in.
<sigh>
Batman, like everything DC-comics that wasn't already under contract elsewhere, is on HBO Max. HBO/Warner owns DC.

For westerns, check out Tubi. It costs free (although you get commercials.) I have heard that PlutoTV is good in this regard as well - and is also free.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)