Dark Souls -- Will I Like It?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Dark Souls -- Will I Like It?

Post by GreenGoo »

It's not as linear as it might seem at first, but then it is more linear, and then less linear again : :lol:

There are plenty of paths that you can follow once you leave the Asylum, but most of those will just get a new player killed. They do open up possibilities for more veteran players though.

As you point out, the game is old, and feels old if you've played any more modern souls-likes. Still, the first one is the only one I've played of the series. I have played lots of others that are not part of the Souls trilogy though.

As for the Taurus Demon, there are a few options. First, do you have any gold pine resin? You need the skeleton key (I think) to get this at this stage, but if you have it, use it, it's extremely powerful against Taurus.

Second, do you have any black firebombs? Also very powerful at this stage.

Third, did you climb the ladder next to the fog gate you exit just before the Taurus Demon? There are 2 xbowmen up there and they should die before you do anything else. Once up top is clear, trigger the Demon then run back and climb the ladder. Plunging attack that dude for massive damage. Plunging plus gold pine will bring him past 50% with a single attack.

Fourth, find a weapon with bleed (morning star, dagger, thief's dagger, scimitar, etc) and just build up bleed on him, he's very vulnerable. You should see large chunks of his health disappear after a few swings. Added bonus, daggers and scimitars are very fast, helping you get in and out with less risk.

You can actually keep your distance pretty easily in this fight, so spam any magic you might have, bombs, knives, whatever. You can wait for it to over commit and then run/roll past it and climb back up the ladder if you are fast, then plunging attack it again.

Or you can plink him to death. Wait for him to over extend, run in and whack him, then run/roll out again. Over and over. Of course this could take awhile and the longer you fight, the more likely it is that you'll make a mistake.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I think I've beaten this game on 4 different platforms. If the graphics are a huge concern then you could look into the Remastered version on Xbone or PS4. In my eyes the game is a classic and still highly playable and definitely worth playing through at least once.
FTE
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Scraper wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:10 am If the graphics are a huge concern then you could look into the Remastered version
you're talking to someone who not only owns a large collection of old game consoles, but also regularly plays them... and is learning assembly coding for the Atari 2600. graphics are never a concern; i just think, aesthetically and for other reasons, 3D polygon-based graphics age nearly exponentially worse than 2D 'pixel'.

(already own the remastered version on Steam)
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:38 pm
As for the Taurus Demon, there are a few options. First, do you have any gold pine resin? You need the skeleton key (I think) to get this at this stage, but if you have it, use it, it's extremely powerful against Taurus.

Second, do you have any black firebombs? Also very powerful at this stage.

Fourth, find a weapon with bleed (morning star, dagger, thief's dagger, scimitar, etc) and just build up bleed on him, he's very vulnerable.
i think part of my issue with this game is i don't have any interest in the RPG-ish mechanics and have done exactly zero research into consumables and weapon effects.... i just like the timing, blocking, parrying, rolling, striking and forms of combat. i still haven't figured out how to load an item into the top 'quick-use' slot.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Well, I don't use consumables either, so I'm right there with you, but I do know that golden pine resin (I think it's called) can make the Taurus demon an order of magnitude easier. I also don't chuck knives or bombs, because I prefer the parry/dodging of regular combat too. But combat and specifically parry timing is probably the hardest part of the game, so I wasn't about to tell you to "git gud" even though that's probably the best advice for Souls-likes in general.

I'm trying to "git gud" at Sifu right now. It's challenging for me, even though I see people regularly bending the game to their will.