SCOTUS Watch

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: SCOTUS Watch

Post by Kraken »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:40 am
Unagi wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:21 am
Drazzil wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:10 am The military could step in and call a constitutional convention, clear out the dead wood. They will not.

Lol. What!?

What is it you picture the military doing ?

Ordering legislators to DC so that they can be executed?
I thought in certain times of deep national crisis the military is allowed to do such. Maybe I'm wrong?
Boy howdy, are you ever.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:23 am One wonders what Thomas will do when the other judges override the interracial marriage ruling of 1967. The wedding cake controversies started with interracial not same set marriage.
That's easy. Move, if he has to.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:10 am The military could step in and call a constitutional convention, clear out the dead wood. They will not.

Lol. What!?

I thought in certain times of deep national crisis the military is allowed to do such. Maybe I'm wrong?

"This sucks, I want a fascist military junta instead!"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I was pointed by a overseas former colleague who said they can't believe the police in our country. I suspect police rioting against suburban moms is going to play differently than "antifa".

Last edited by malchior on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Lol. What!?

Honestly. Your frustration with the government is totally reasonable. That’s where it ends. What you just proposed is totally weird if not batshit nuts. How do you feel normal/reasonable proposing the US army purges the US government of ‘the dead wood’. Listen to yourself.

I don’t think I could picture a deeper national crisis than the US military rounding up democratically elected citizens for execution.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For someone who hates what’s happening to our country at the hands of the extremist right, Drazzil sure sounds like someone from the extremist right sometimes.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 pm

I can drive really REALLY well. I'm a phenom at making a spectacle. I'm REALLY good at customer service. I know how to cook and bake commercially. I can scale recipes into formulas. I know all of what a nursing assistant can do. I can do dosages for medications. I am a decent writer. I know how to run projects. I can operate a pistol, I'm a decent shot, but I am not a front lines fighter.
I think you should think about adding “I’m a stranger to reason” to your list of skills there.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lol. What!?

Not legally, no. The military of course has a lot of guns and at least in theory could seize control of the government and tell people what to do by virtue of the guns (i.e. a military coup) but that's not something that they're allowed to do.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

You know you fucked up when Boris Johnson is on the right side of the issue.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

“I the regret what seems to me on to be a backward step."

Da fuck? Was he the drunk on to be an interview?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its reading stuff like this when Im baked that leads to me questioning my sanity.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:56 am

Lol. What!?

Honestly. Your frustration with the government is totally reasonable. That’s where it ends. What you just proposed is totally weird if not batshit nuts. How do you feel normal/reasonable proposing the US army purges the US government of ‘the dead wood’. Listen to yourself.

I don’t think I could picture a deeper national crisis than the US military rounding up democratically elected citizens for execution.
What about the US military rounding up anyone not white, straight, rich or christian? Obviously your picture device thingy is broken. :D

I'd also take issue with the "democratically elected" part. Poli's sliming their way out of bumfuck jerrymandered to hell areas to destroy our body politic and national discourse and exert their bumfuckery on the rest of us isin't democracy.
Last edited by Drazzil on Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:03 am
Drazzil wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 pm

I can drive really REALLY well. I'm a phenom at making a spectacle. I'm REALLY good at customer service. I know how to cook and bake commercially. I can scale recipes into formulas. I know all of what a nursing assistant can do. I can do dosages for medications. I am a decent writer. I know how to run projects. I can operate a pistol, I'm a decent shot, but I am not a front lines fighter.
I think you should think about adding “I’m a stranger to reason” to your list of skills there.
You know what? I think I will. Reason and being "reasonable" is how we got here.

I think its time to get a little crazy and mad. Like, "get on all fours and bark at a pine cone for half an hour cause it looked at you wrong" mad.

:whistle:
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:58 am For someone who hates what’s happening to our country at the hands of the extremist right, Drazzil sure sounds like someone from the extremist right sometimes.
Yeah. I guess I'm what happens when someone who would normally be from the extremist right reads a lot of books, goes to college, looks at his earning and income potential and his skin tone and decides he better do his extreme"ing" from the other side of the fence.

I wear that tag with pride.

Back on topic. I'm amazed that the riots aren't larger.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jarvetly bee fizzle
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:56 am I was pointed by a overseas former colleague who said they can't believe the police in our country. I suspect police rioting against suburban moms is going to play differently than "antifa".

That's where I live - we hit the big times! And to thinki missed it being in DC this weekend.

Woke up early and did a run around the National Mall this morning. There are barricades up everywhere for the 4th celebrations, but even still the amount around the Supreme Court and Capitol were notable. There were also cops every 500 ft around the Capitol... at 5am. I actually asked if I was allowed to be there because it was so freaky (I was).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

Military coups rarely end in a positive outcome. Just ask the Roman Empire and its successor the Byzantine Empire.

A military coup would mean American emperors.
malchior

Post by malchior »

We're once again reminded that the police have chosen a side. It is not the people. They don't deserve our support.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:18 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:58 am For someone who hates what’s happening to our country at the hands of the extremist right, Drazzil sure sounds like someone from the extremist right sometimes.
Yeah. I guess I'm what happens when someone who would normally be from the extremist right reads a lot of books, goes to college, looks at his earning and income potential and his skin tone and decides he better do his extreme"ing" from the other side of the fence.

Just a reminder: you voted for Trump. You made your bed. Sadly, we also have to sleep in it.
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:24 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:18 pm

Just a reminder: you voted for Trump. You made your bed. Sadly, we also have to sleep in it.
Just a reminder, the conditions for voting for Trump were created by people who would rather scapegoat and ignore large swaths of the population when it was clear they were in trouble.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just a reminder: who he was and what he represented was apparent to anyone with even a modicum of awareness.

I repeat: you made your bed.
Covfefe!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:01 pm Military coups rarely end in a positive outcome. Just ask the Roman Empire and its successor the Byzantine Empire.

A military coup would mean American emperors.
Which lasted collectively for over two thousand years AFTER Caesar crossed the Rubicon. The USA as we know her is already gone, after a scant 260 years.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Stupid question... What would happen if large swaths of Democrats who didn't like what the party was doing decided to pack up and move to the locales with "outsize representation" What if the progressive voices in the Democrat party decided to register as Republican in those areas? Wouldn't that essentially mean that the Republican strategy would be nullified?

A "pack the party" movement if you will.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Start a go fund me for the billions of dollars it’s going to cost the millions of people who need to pack up and move and maybe quit their jobs in the process.
Covfefe!
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Drazzil wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:16 pm Stupid question... What would happen if large swaths of Democrats who didn't like what the party was doing decided to pack up and move to the locales with "outsize representation" What if the progressive voices in the Democrat party decided to register as Republican in those areas? Wouldn't that essentially mean that the Republican strategy would be nullified?
Yup. You don't even need millions of people....many of these "deep red" states have surprisingly small margins. Move 200,000 Democrats to Wyoming and it turns deep blue permanently. You can get South Dakota for just 120,000. You can have Montana for just 100,000. And if you're willing to dig a little more, you can get Florida for just 500,000.

Of course, I suspect that you'd run into the problem that once someone moves to, say, South Dakota....their new environment may change their political orientation fairly quickly.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Little Raven wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:14 pm
Drazzil wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:16 pm Stupid question... What would happen if large swaths of Democrats who didn't like what the party was doing decided to pack up and move to the locales with "outsize representation" What if the progressive voices in the Democrat party decided to register as Republican in those areas? Wouldn't that essentially mean that the Republican strategy would be nullified?
Yup. You don't even need millions of people....many of these "deep red" states have surprisingly small margins. Move 200,000 Democrats to Wyoming and it turns deep blue permanently. You can get South Dakota for just 120,000. You can have Montana for just 100,000. And if you're willing to dig a little more, you can get Florida for just 500,000.

Of course, I suspect that you'd run into the problem that once someone moves to, say, South Dakota....their new environment may change their political orientation fairly quickly.
Well, I suspect the bigger issue is that getting even "just" a few hundred thousand people to move for purposes of more efficient voting is never going to happen.
Black Lives Matter.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Yeah, the free state project managed only a few tens of thousands, at most.

For better or worse, political concerns are pretty low on the list of reasons people use when evaluating where to live.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I always assumed Bill Gates turned Washington blue.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:01 pm We're once again reminded that the police have chosen a side. It is not the people. They don't deserve our support
Unfortunately the system we live in is dependent on the police to maintain functioning society. They've been infiltrated and co-opted to serve commercial and political interests but they're all we have.

I have the scanner on right now for the annual Pride Parade aftermath and it's an endless litany of people being idiots/assholes. And it's going to repeat next weekend. It would be absolute chaos without even our understaffed cops.

Note the tattoo, of course.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, at first it looked like it read "Baton to the Kidney"... but I guess it says "United We Stand" :roll:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nobody needs to move. Just get the people already there to vote.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Time to impeach!
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday said she believes it's an "impeachable offense" for a Supreme Court justice to lie under oath.

Ocasio-Cortez, speaking in an interview with NBC News' "Meet the Press," said she believes the court is facing a "crisis of legitimacy" and justices must face consequences if they lie under oath.

"If we allow Supreme Court nominees to lie under oath and secure lifetime appointments to the highest court of the land and then issue, without basis," she said, "we must see that through. There must be consequences for such a deeply destabilizing action and a hostile takeover of our democratic institutions."

"To allow that to stand is to allow it to happen," she continued. "And what makes it particularly dangerous is that it sends a blaring signal to all future nominees that they can now lie to duly elected members of the United States Senate in order to secure Supreme Court confirmations and seats on the Supreme Court."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL
stessier

Post by stessier »

Little Raven wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:14 pm
I seriously doubt that.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

Noted communist Scarborough hyperventilating this morning. [/sarcasm]

This warning has to be taken seriously ans we need to understand the very real and mounting danger. They are coming for the "others".

Edit: Also some perspective on what's to come.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:58 am Time to impeach!
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday said she believes it's an "impeachable offense" for a Supreme Court justice to lie under oath.

Ocasio-Cortez, speaking in an interview with NBC News' "Meet the Press," said she believes the court is facing a "crisis of legitimacy" and justices must face consequences if they lie under oath.

"If we allow Supreme Court nominees to lie under oath and secure lifetime appointments to the highest court of the land and then issue, without basis," she said, "we must see that through. There must be consequences for such a deeply destabilizing action and a hostile takeover of our democratic institutions."

"To allow that to stand is to allow it to happen," she continued. "And what makes it particularly dangerous is that it sends a blaring signal to all future nominees that they can now lie to duly elected members of the United States Senate in order to secure Supreme Court confirmations and seats on the Supreme Court."
That she believed what they said under oath is more telling of her than them. Hopefully lesson learned for next time, although it's likely too late now.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 am
Little Raven wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:58 am Time to impeach!

That she believed what they said under oath is more telling of her than them. Hopefully lesson learned for next time, although it's likely too late now.
FWIW AOC's views on this are far from crazy. In theory if a justice makes a representation before the Senate and then is revealed to have lied, they could be prosecuted for perjury. Now a perjury case against anyone on those grounds would be incredibly difficult (and *especially* against a sitting SCOTUS judge), but it's hard to avoid the conclusion that at least some of the more recently appointed justices (especially Kavanaugh) lied about their view of Roe v. Wade.

And setting that aside, if Congress feels like it was lied to during the nomination process, impeachment seems like a perfectly reasonable remedy.

But of course, it's never ever ever going to happen because the votes will never be there.
Black Lives Matter.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Impeachment is a political process, not a judicial one. You can impeach someone for anything. We could impeach Kavanaugh for wearing the wrong tie.

So the question isn't "Did they do the thing?" it's "Do you have the votes?" Right now I don't think we do.

But maybe Ilhan Omar knows something I don't.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, she's 100% right about the Thomas part.

The Roe part is IMO conceptually reasonable, but not worth the trouble most likely.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Signs things are going well? Right now most of the Conservatives are being doxxed on TikTok this morning. Home addresses, credit card numbers , social security numbers, etc.