[Showtime] Ray Donovan

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

[Showtime] Ray Donovan

Post by hepcat »

Started watching this recently after discovering that Showtime was included in my cable package. The setting seemed kind of tired to me, at least based on the synopsis the trailers gave viewers. Former Boston thug Ray Donovan (Liev Schreiber) "fixes" things for the Hollywood elite in his own, decidedly effective manner.

However, the show is less about that and more about the relationship (the very BAD relationship) between Ray and his father Mickey. The reason I can't stop watching it now is because Mickey, as played by Jon Voight, is quite simply one of the most effortlessly evil human beings on television...and Voight is a force of nature in the role.

I'm not going to give away the plot, but let's just say that Mickey does things in the first few minutes of the first show that are initially shocking, then turn out to be almost redemptive, then go back to shocking in episode three.

The rest of the cast is pretty strong, too. I've never been a fan of Dash Mihok, but he's fantastic as Ray's hopelessly damaged little brother. And Eddie Marsan plays another Donovan with such equal amounts of stoicism and hidden rage that every scene featuring his Terry Donovan is a study in tension.

And I think it's a general consensus amongst fans of Deadwood that Paula Malcomson can do no wrong.

...but the primary reason to watch this show is Voight. Make no mistake.
He won. Period.
tgb

Re: [Showtime] Ray Donovan

Post by tgb »

I was going to watch this on the strength of Voight (does he still look like he's turning into Mrs. Doubtfire?) but never quite got around to it.

I guess now I have to.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He...looks a little odd. But honestly, it works perfectly for his character.

He says the most vile things you can imagine on the show. I mean truly horrible things...but he does it with such sincerity and (faux) innocent charm that you're amazed when you almost forgive him for it afterwards.

There's also a mystery surrounding Mickey's past in relation to Ray's present that they're slowly unfolding, so don't think it's just a drama about a father and son. There's a good crime story in the mix.
He won. Period.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I haven't figured out why Ray's hatred for his father is so intense that he wants him back in prison, other than the situation dealing with his one brother. There seems to be more there, we just don't know what it is specifically with Ray.

I love the show, think it's great that Showtime has a great track record with the original series they back.

Steven Bauer is really good as Ray's go to guy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Avi (Steven Bauer's character) is fantastic. The way he effortlessly disarmed Ray in a heartbeat when the much larger Ray was attempting to get past him in the second episode had me laughing. The character is obviously former Mossad or something. He's probably the most dangerous character on the show...well...other than Mickey. But Mickey's dangerous for different reasons.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't know how I feel about Ray Donovan: The Movie. It certainly ties up the events of season seven, and many of the arcs of the series (though often superficially). But a lot of it's spent in flashback and as a standalone piece it doesn't feel like it earns its payoff. Even with the flashbacks I couldn't remember all the plot points it wanted me to. However, as the "better than nothing" capstone to seven years of television, it's pretty good... what else were they going to do with it?

I've always loved this series's acting (it would be nothing without Eddie Marsan and Dash Mihok), but it's at times overly stylized and in later seasons the cumulative body count and endless twists and turns just became laughable. Like a lot of premium cable shows it always seemed to be doing its best to top each horrible revelation and sordid plot point. Eventually it collapses under its own weight. I wouldn't have been surprised if a later season had been Ray Donovan In Space. But I'm glad it got a conclusion.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg