Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:50 amFor that reason, I think people need to be judged by their actions, not their vote. If my friend was saying racist stuff or homophobic stuff, I'd question his character. But I'm not going to assume he's a racist/homophobe because he voted for Trump.
I hear you (probably more than most on here) but I would push back a bit and suggest that voting is most certainly an action. An action that in some ways defines how you view the world, at some level.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:50 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:29 pm I think a lot of law is pro trump. Most likely military too.
I recently saw reporting to the effect that the legal profession skews Democrat to an enormous degree. The problem is that the right-wing law-o-sphere is *extremely* well organized (e.g. the Federalist Society, which exists to vet conservative lawyers for elevation to judgeships by conservative politicians).

The military is mixed. I've heard that officers are more blue and enlisted are more red. It tracks basically with the same trends in education levels.
He meant cops
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I hear you (probably more than most on here) but I would push back a bit and suggest that voting is most certainly an action. An action that in some ways defines how you view the world, at some level.
Right, but in a two-party system you're voting for a block of policies, whether you believe in the whole block, half of it, one piece of it, etc. You're not voting for your world view. You're voting for one of two pre-defined world views.

I'd argue the parties are not a mirror of the electorate's beliefs - they are what *define* the electorate's beliefs.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:55 pm He meant cops
Ah, yes. That's correct.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Calling someone a "homunculus" might be my favorite thing this week.
He won. Period.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:55 pm Calling someone a "homunculus" might be my favorite thing this week.
I was thinking the same thing. I’m determined to use it in a sentence this week just to see how people react when I say it.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:43 pm
It's ok. I'm SURE this Trump supporter would feel the same if Britain decided to take back the US. Or Native Americans...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I think the video would have been more informative if the interviewer had shoved a gun barrel into their mouths and asked if they are still fine with it, or tell them you're going to ask some Ukrainians whether they care if the trigger was pulled or not.

Fuck people are absolute monsters. Is someone genetically or surgically removing humanity's empathy, or is that just in the US North America?

I'm not even going to comment on the fact that the interviewee is talking about the Ukraine as not being Russia's, but instead Putin's personal property.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Ask her how she feels about Native Americans taking back what was theirs.
Last edited by Brian on Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

GreenGoo wrote:Is someone genetically or surgically removing humanity's empathy, or is that just in the US North America?
I think there's a lot of factors exacerbating it. isolation due to technology, COVID, etc. The intense polarization being fueled by social media and anonymity. We're being immersed in a 24/7 firehose of bad news from the media. Constant stress from all of the above.

That said, I still think people like the woman in the clip above are the minority. I still choose to believe most people are good even though they may have bad days. But good people don't make for entertaining news clips.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

UnAmerican UntiAmerican assholes are what they are pure and simply. They want to jump in bed with America's biggest foes. Evil and stupid is a bad combination in these people.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Man on the street interviews are the easiest clickbait because the average American who will stop and answer these questions is a moron. It's like stopping random people and asking basic geography, history, or science questions. This is not a Republican, Democrat, old, or young issue. Most people are just uninformed with only a minimal education. It's also clickbait because they can ask 100 people at this event and edit out the 90 who gave reasonable answers so it validates your view of this group. Do you like my math skills? :ninja:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:14 pm Man on the street interviews are the easiest clickbait because the average American who will stop and answer these questions is a moron. It's like stopping random people and asking basic geography, history, or science questions. This is not a Republican, Democrat, old, or young issue. Most people are just uninformed with only a minimal education. It's also clickbait because they can ask 100 people at this event and edit out the 90 who gave reasonable answers so it validates your view of this group. Do you like my math skills? :ninja:
But it's not like they said "Putin isn't invading Ukraine at all. That's just a projection beamed into your mind by the space lizard overlords." Instead, both of these people's answers perfectly reflect the counter-reality narrative being coordinated and pushed every day by right-wing media.

In fact, I'll bet you could ask 100 people at this event and fewer than 10 of them would give an answer closer to reality than fantasy.

How about them math skills?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:11 pm
GreenGoo wrote:Is someone genetically or surgically removing humanity's empathy, or is that just in the US North America?
I think there's a lot of factors exacerbating it. isolation due to technology, COVID, etc. The intense polarization being fueled by social media and anonymity. We're being immersed in a 24/7 firehose of bad news from the media. Constant stress from all of the above.

That said, I still think people like the woman in the clip above are the minority. I still choose to believe most people are good even though they may have bad days. But good people don't make for entertaining news clips.
Hah! I just used "fire hose" of (mis)information in the Lab thread. :D So clearly I agree with you.

I hope you are right about the innate goodness of people. I can't help but notice that the evangelicals, a former source of "good" in the US, are now a hate group (it's impossible to know what percentage, but there are plenty making enough noise that it can feel representative). Perhaps not random individuals, but specific individuals representing the interests of evangelicals in politics and from the pulpit are, and that means those that follow them are complicit. I realize you and I have differently views on what it means to be complicit vs. unaware/ignorant, but when it comes to religion, there's not excuse not to educate yourself. If you are going to believe something so strongly that you alter your life and give away funds because of your beliefs, you should at least pay attention to your leaders.

Anywho, I do hope you are correct
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:14 pm Man on the street interviews are the easiest clickbait because the average American who will stop and answer these questions is a moron.
Completely agree. Watched a religious channel's youtuber doing man on the street interviews, and he found a "evolution" believer. The interviewee did a poor job of answering questions, or pointing out the logical fallacies in the questions themselves, so the youtuber had a bunch of "gotcha" video for his channel. Huzzah.

Don't get me wrong, many atheist channels do the exact same thing, while being condescending and snide about it.

Anyway, no single interview is representative, but enough interviews and you start to wonder. Because holy fucking shit, people are dumb. Shockingly, cause for concern stupid (not just ignorant, but incapable of critical thinking). I often wonder what is happening to your education system down there, because it seems to me a lot of the right's outrageousness could be countered by simple education. Anyway.

I agree, these interviews are worthless. Nevertheless, they are upsetting to witness.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Propaganda has happened to the education system. Education=indoctrination.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Doonesbury, APR 01-02, 2004
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Here's Trump ignoring his own grandchild:

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

He was busy smooching the kids mom.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:29 pm Here's Trump ignoring his own grandchild:
As much as I dislike drumpf so I'm more inclined to appreciate anyone making hay with even the smallest of gaffs or errors he makes, that grandkid looks genuinely hurt. I absolutely feel bad for him.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:09 am
Holman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:29 pm Here's Trump ignoring his own grandchild:
As much as I dislike drumpf so I'm more inclined to appreciate anyone making hay with even the smallest of gaffs or errors he makes, that grandkid looks genuinely hurt. I absolutely feel bad for him.
He needs to learn young. Like Trump did.

That or quit pinning your hopes on an asshole of a grandfather that only acknowledges you because he wants to fuck your mom. Lots of kids grow up just fine without grandparents.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah kid, toughen up. Your grandfather is an asshole no matter what your mom says. Deal with it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can't imagine that kid grew up ever thinking that man would ever give him the time of day.
It's not like he remembers the good-ol' days when grampa-donny used to bounce him on his knee.

I bet Ivanaka was more emotionally stressed by that moment than the grandchild. He looked bored and was probably upset to learn that they were not leaving the event for a while still.

I can think of many better examples of kids adversely affected by Trump that I genuinely feel bad for.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah. Get over it, kid. Your grandpa has hurt a lot more kids way worse than this. No one cares about your feelings, especially since it's boredom, not emotional hurt I see on your face.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

If grandpa is the Antichrist, you are lucky if he ignores you.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:57 am especially since
no, especially since I doubt he puts as much value on meaningful time with his grandfather as you seem to think he does. My point is that I don't think this kid needs to get over anything.

Get over it.
:P :D
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

How many years did Biden spend denying the existence of Hunter's daughter with Lunden Roberts? For the record, did you all say the same things about Biden that you're posting about Trump being a terrible grandparent?

And for the record, I think they're both terrible.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Soft bigotry of low expectations.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Moliere wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:06 pm
How many years did Biden spend denying the existence of Hunter's daughter with Lunden Roberts? For the record, did you all say the same things about Biden that you're posting about Trump being a terrible grandparent?
:lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote:

Soft bigotry of low expectations.
I got about a minute into it before punching out. I heard him deliver emotional language and personal anecdotes of an exceptional family (all three kids to West Point). At no point did the opening lead me to suggest that research or statistics were going to be brought up to support his case or refute the claims of “the Left”.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:41 am
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:57 am especially since
no, especially since I doubt he puts as much value on meaningful time with his grandfather as you seem to think he does. My point is that I don't think this kid needs to get over anything.

Get over it.
:P :D
No you.

You're insane if you don't think grandkids want to spend time with their grandparents.

obligatory smiley :lol:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:19 am If grandpa is the Antichrist, you are lucky if he ignores you.
Sure. Who's going to tell him?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:52 pmNo you.
Done.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:06 pm How many years did Biden spend denying the existence of Hunter's daughter with Lunden Roberts? For the record, did you all say the same things about Biden that you're posting about Trump being a terrible grandparent?

I have no idea what you're on about. If I saw Lunden at the same age with the same look of hurt on her face, I'd comment on that too.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:53 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:52 pmNo you.
Done.
:thumbs up:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:53 pm
Moliere wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:06 pm How many years did Biden spend denying the existence of Hunter's daughter with Lunden Roberts? For the record, did you all say the same things about Biden that you're posting about Trump being a terrible grandparent?

I have no idea what you're on about. If I saw Lunden at the same age with the same look of hurt on her face, I'd comment on that too.
This has been making the rounds on MAGA media. Biden didn't publicly acknowledge Hunter's child at Hunter's request. It's the worst kind of whataboutism. To suggest Biden is a bad grandfather similar to Trump is just ludicrous.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

NSFW

Killer Mike speaking facts about the importance of local politics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I admit I don't know what a killer mike is.