Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Enough

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Enough »

Is it time for the XKCD free speech comic?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enough wrote:Curious about your due diligence. Did you check to see if said tweets are still on her twitter? I did and they appear to be removed (presumably by twitter and I guess why you had to use a screen shot). Oh and did you check to see if they are banning antifa accounts threatening violence? (Hint: the answer is yes but I don't know of any big purges like last years you are linking to here)

Sorry but you appear to be working on a pretty strong confirmation bias. I agree with you on some of this stuff (including the Evergreen case to a degree) but the lack of fairness in your telling of the story makes me think this is more about a pet issue for you than uncovering reality. Has there been any other alt right purges since last years? Yes they have probably banned more alt right accounts threatening violence, but then again how many accounts are there in the antifa side to ban vs the alt right? Do we even know that detail? I sure don't and am not about to jump to a bunch of conclusions because some alt righters are bent for a private company banning them from their forum. I guess there's probably a Masters social science research project waiting to happen if you are so inclined.
I'm not Isgrimnur! I don't have more than 30 seconds to research my facts. The first page of my first Google search attempt is the best you're likely to get from me. As a libertarian I don't have much of a dog in the fight for the right v. left issues. I'm mostly just pointing out what seems like contradictions (e.g., the threats of violence by lefties are disregarded). Or e.g. #2 the women's march that excludes a pro life women's group.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote:
Enough wrote:Curious about your due diligence. Did you check to see if said tweets are still on her twitter? I did and they appear to be removed (presumably by twitter and I guess why you had to use a screen shot). Oh and did you check to see if they are banning antifa accounts threatening violence? (Hint: the answer is yes but I don't know of any big purges like last years you are linking to here)

Sorry but you appear to be working on a pretty strong confirmation bias. I agree with you on some of this stuff (including the Evergreen case to a degree) but the lack of fairness in your telling of the story makes me think this is more about a pet issue for you than uncovering reality. Has there been any other alt right purges since last years? Yes they have probably banned more alt right accounts threatening violence, but then again how many accounts are there in the antifa side to ban vs the alt right? Do we even know that detail? I sure don't and am not about to jump to a bunch of conclusions because some alt righters are bent for a private company banning them from their forum. I guess there's probably a Masters social science research project waiting to happen if you are so inclined.
I'm not Isgrimnur!
Ok, that definitely got a chortle. :D :lol:

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

30 seconds?

I think he is a lot faster than you realize.

But beyond that, yea I am dismayed by tossing of the principles of free speech by so many. The entire concept of being open to anyone speaking their mind has been casually discarded.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh please. :roll:

It's the same as when die hard conservatives told those who disagreed with Bush Jr. that they should leave the country for speaking out against his policies.

Your kind can dish it out, but they certainly can't take it.

Bunch'a snowflakes, the lot of ya. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:Oh please. :roll:

It's the same as when die hard conservatives told those who disagreed with Bush Jr. that they should leave the country for speaking out against his policies.

They responded with words. They didn't go seek out their employers and attempt to get them fired.

It isn't saying things to or about someone that is the problem. It is about taking action or attempting to persuade other to take action against them....for nothing more than words they don't like.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rip wrote:

They responded with words. They didn't go seek out their employers and attempt to get them fired.
ORLY?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Enough wrote:Is it time for the XKCD free speech comic?
While I concur with this sentiment, I also note the first thing we think of when we think attacking free speech is book burning, which is usually sponsored by private community groups and not government agents. We can be offended by people's refusal to engage in free speech without resorting to "you lose because censorship is done by the government."

While (from the TL;DR section of the manifesto) I don't think Google was in the wrong, in an attempt to protect their brand, I don't like the assessment that a free market should be the ultimate arbiter of what can and cannot be spoken nearly as much as I don't like the idea governments deciding what can and cannot be spoken.

I don't know the answer. I respect a company protecting their brand but I'd be hard pressed respect a company for firing a someone for writing or reading gay romance novels privately outside of work.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Skinypupy wrote:
Rip wrote:

ORLY?
Pretty sure the Dixie Chicks don't work for those radio stations.
Enough

Post by Enough »

LordMortis wrote:
Enough wrote:Is it time for the XKCD free speech comic?
While I concur with this sentiment, I also note the first thing we think of when we think attacking free speech is book burning, which is usually sponsored by private community groups and not government agents. We can be offended by people's refusal to engage in free speech without resorting to "you lose because censorship is done by the government."

While (from the TL;DR section of the manifesto) I don't think Google was in the wrong, in an attempt to protect their brand, I don't like the assessment that a free market should be the ultimate arbiter of what can and cannot be spoken nearly as much as I don't like the idea governments deciding what can and cannot be spoken.

I don't know the answer. I respect a company protecting their brand but I'd be hard pressed respect a company for firing a someone for writing or reading gay romance novels privately outside of work.
I subscribe to your newsletter. As our lives become increasingly commodified and media is centralized in near monopolies the public square is empty and everyone is chilling on the private club square where free speech doesn't exist but unattributed echoes are just fine. Thankfully the internet somewhat helps to balance this (network neutrality hello!) but it bears watching.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rip wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
Rip wrote:

ORLY?
OK, then this doesn't apply?
Rip wrote:It isn't saying things to or about someone that is the problem. It is about taking action or attempting to persuade other to take action against them....for nothing more than words they don't like.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Conservatives like Rip are always victims. Boo hoo, whine, sniffle...

Someday they'll grow a pair and learn how to take it as well as they give it.

Conservatives: You're subhuman because of your sexuality/race/religion!

Liberals: Hey, that's cruel and untrue!

Conservatives: HELP, WE'RE BEING OPPRESSED!

:ninja:
He won. Period.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:
Rip wrote:

ORLY?
Pretty sure you have no credibility if you naively assume the alt right doesn't regularly dox in attempts to try to get people fired or even physically harmed (there are entire right forums dedicated to doxxing specific people and have been lists of thousands of doxxed people shared on the usual suspects). Good lord dude, there are both alt-right and antifa folks posting photos of their opposition all over the street saying these people in your community are dangerous. They are calling employers, leaving violent phone messages, leaving fictional accounts on rate my professor and on and on... Jeebus.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote:Conservatives: HELP, WE'RE BEING OPPRESSED!

:ninja:
Enlarge Image
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Interesting. My grammar lesson for the day.
To oppress means to keep (someone) down by unjust force or authority. To repress is (1) to hold back, or (2) to put down by force. Suppress, which is broader and more common than the other two, means (1) to put an end to, (2) to inhibit, and (3) to keep from being revealed.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

naednek wrote:This is well done

https://videosift.com/video/HATEIOHEAD-TWEET
That is precious.
Jag

Post by Jag »

The White House has an unusual onlooker Wednesday -- a large, inflatable chicken with golden orange hair.

The inflatable chicken, situated on the Ellipse facing 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, is a visual that organizers of the Tax Day March have used in the past to coax President Trump to release his tax returns. Tax Day March events in cities from D.C. to Chicago to San Francisco this year have featured the large poultry prop as they protest Mr. Trump's decision to break with the tradition of recent presidents to release their tax information.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/massive-inf ... ite-house/
:D
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enough wrote:
Rip wrote:something.
Pretty sure you have no credibility...
+1
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Given the current geopolitical situation, and Trump's personality, I don't think now is a great time to goad Trump with a giant chicken.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enough wrote:
Moliere wrote:I'm not Isgrimnur!
Ok, that definitely got a chortle. :D :lol:
Ran into these articles this morning.
An article by Adam Grant called Differences Between Men And Women Are Vastly Exaggerated is going viral, thanks in part to a share by Facebook exec Sheryl Sandberg. It’s a response to an email by a Google employee saying that he thought Google’s low female representation wasn’t a result of sexism, but a result of men and women having different interests long before either gender thinks about joining Google. Grant says that gender differences are small and irrelevant to the current issue. I disagree.
As a Woman in Tech, I Realized: These Are Not My People
Have you heard about the Google memo? Have you heard nothing but "Google memo" all week? James Damore, an engineer at Google, wrote a memo suggesting that maybe there weren’t so many women at Google because women are less interested in sitting around and staring at code all day. The internet erupted. James Damore is no longer working at Google.

As a woman working in the brotastic atmosphere of IT, I ultimately came to a conclusion similar to his. So I sympathize with him. Let me explain.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

There is a cultural bias where girls aren't encouraged to pursue STEM education and careers, sure, no one is arguing that. And it's possible that fewer women than men find certain tech fields appealing, there's definitely biology involved, I'm not arguing that (although personally, I LOVE dealing with inanimate objects and I can't stand people).

But none of this excuses this "genius" claiming that women are prone to "neuroticism" and higher levels of anxiety due to job stress - there are actually studies that show women are *better* at coping with stress. Maybe all he ever deals with are hysterical basket cases, but when he put it in his memo, he effectively made sure that he wouldn't be able to work with any of his female coworkers. Which is actually the biggest reason he was fired: not that Google couldn't just sweep this whole mess under the rug, but this guy's continued presence would be too disruptive for him to be productive on any project, so no point in keeping him.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Moliere wrote: As a Woman in Tech, I Realized: These Are Not My People
Have you heard about the Google memo? Have you heard nothing but "Google memo" all week? James Damore, an engineer at Google, wrote a memo suggesting that maybe there weren’t so many women at Google because women are less interested in sitting around and staring at code all day. The internet erupted. James Damore is no longer working at Google.

As a woman working in the brotastic atmosphere of IT, I ultimately came to a conclusion similar to his. So I sympathize with him. Let me explain.
Both of them are completely missing the point.

Like most things you can go about this multiple ways.

1 is the strict count numbers. This is where Damore and Megan are coming from. They are probably right. Whether it's brain chemistry or societal conditioning or testosterone or whatever, you're getting many, many more resume's from men than you are from women. No matter how many you want to hire. No matter how diverse you want your work force. There's more men to choose from and therefore it will never be 50/50 and likely it will never be 30/70.

The other direction is management. Management wants diversity. They want to hire a diverse workforce because study after study shows it improves your product. If 30/70 is the standard, go do some recruiting and make it 35/65. Make it known your company wants to hire women so badly that every woman puts their resume at your company. Google has already been accused of diversity issues so don't celebrate it and say nothing can be done, go out and say how much you'd enjoy finding people that can help.

The last is that maybe he's right about coders, but do you really think that coders are the only job at Google? What about leads, scrum masters, managers, executives? It is rapidly becoming more like generic businesses. The coders and engineers are a smaller and smaller subsection. What about the designers, the business analysts, the marketers?

You can have a demand for diversity without possibility of achieving perfect balance. Damore's comments are counterproductive and embarrassing for google management as well as society in general.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They each actually both look better with the other's hair. They truly are completely interchangeable.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Richard Jeni: A Big Steaming Pile Of Me
A stand-up bit from 2005 that is amazingly relevant today about comparing the far right, far left, and centrist groups in American politics.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kids enjoying a game of baseball?
Spoiler:
Or a scene from a U.S. prison camp during WWII.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That moon looks really fake. :think:
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Unagi wrote:That moon looks really fake. :think:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also, the kid in the middle is clearly stuffing his face with a taco. Guessing this is really a movie-still from some strange Mexican sci-fi movie from the 50s...
naednek

Post by naednek »

so.... it looks like Mike Pence's website got hacked....

http://www.officialmikepence.com/
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

naednek wrote:so.... it looks like Mike Pence's website got hacked....

I'm not clicking on a link that you say leads to a hacked site. :ninja:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote:so.... it looks like Mike Pence's website got hacked....

I know it's not something I should endorse, but I think I ruptured a spleen laughing at the Mike Pence Facts page. :lol:
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

Protesting while eating a banana.