(TV) Fargo

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Exodor

(TV) Fargo

Post by Exodor »

There's a FX series starting April 15 that's true to the Coen brothers film but tells a new story.

The first seven minutes have been released

:pop:

According to wikipedia it's a 10 episode series with the Coens as Executive Producers.
Jeff V

Re: (TV) Fargo

Post by Jeff V »

Is it still going to feature the chipper/shredder?
Black Lives Matter
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Jeff V wrote:Is it still going to feature the chipper/shredder?
I imagine we've got 8 or 9 episodes to work through before we find out.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I get more and more excited about this show the more I learn. All-star cast!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Exodor wrote:
Jeff V wrote:Is it still going to feature the chipper/shredder?
I imagine we've got 8 or 9 episodes to work through before we find out.
I don't think I have the patience to wait that long.

The other thing I liked about the movie is that I saw it in the summer when it was about 1000 degrees out, and seeing all that ice and snow was mentally comforting. But memories of this brutal winter are still too fresh (and with the forecast not substantially improving, may not even be done with the snow yet). If it's available to watch in, say, mid-July, I might give it a shot then.
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Every time I see a promo for this show I think it's a new movie trailer. The cast is just incredible. The fact that it's on FX means they will be able to get away with more too. I don't see how this show can be bad.
FTE
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

This show is awesome!
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I watched the first episode last night and it was pretty good. It felt like a movie in its own right, with a ton of major things happening in the last third of the show. Which is good because for the first half of the show I was struggling to get past Bilbo with a Minnesota accent.
mori

Post by mori »

They went overboard with the accents again. Another thing people may not realize is the distances between the cities. Bemidji is almost 3 hours from Fargo and Duluth and 3.5 from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Entertaining show and a wonderful cast.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I enjoyed the first episode a few nights ago and will get caught up in the next week. Billy Bob and Martin are both great in their roles. Looking forward to seeing Odenkirk next.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Must see TV. Billy Bob at his finest. Binged to get caught up, now on DVR.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The cinematography and direction in the last episode during the snowstorm was amazing. Fargo is like one long movie.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

$iljanus wrote:The cinematography and direction in the last episode during the snowstorm was amazing. Fargo is like one long movie.
I concur. It's hands down the best show currently running on TV.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's like Breaking Bad meets Twin Peaks with a Fargo accent. I like Martin Freeman more in this than in anything else I've seen him do.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote:It's like Breaking Bad meets Twin Peaks with a Fargo accent. I like Martin Freeman more in this than in anything else I've seen him do.
His character is very well written. He's shrewd and bungling at the same time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote:
Kraken wrote:It's like Breaking Bad meets Twin Peaks with a Fargo accent. I like Martin Freeman more in this than in anything else I've seen him do.
His character is very well written. He's shrewd and bungling at the same time.
...much like Walter White's evolution. Lester is on his way to becoming a Heisenberg...although I suspect that mini Tom Hanks is going to catch up with him in the end.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

First episode was great, then it went downhill from there.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

But then I didn't think Burn Before Reading redeemed itself until the last five minutes of the movie. I was walking down the stairs when that beautiful piece of murder and mayhem raised my esteem of the movie from Unwatchable shit to decent enough run of the mill movie. Like the murder and mayhem I do. :mrgreen:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

mori wrote:They went overboard with the accents again. Another thing people may not realize is the distances between the cities. Bemidji is almost 3 hours from Fargo and Duluth and 3.5 from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Entertaining show and a wonderful cast.
speaking as a native Minnesotan, agree. and yes, it is near the border, but i wish people would remember Fargo is North Dakota, not MN!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

And its kind of strange hearing some of my mothers mannerisms and slight Minnesotan accent and my reflection of her in how I speak.

edit: I was born in Minnesota.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hitbyambulance wrote:
mori wrote:They went overboard with the accents again. Another thing people may not realize is the distances between the cities. Bemidji is almost 3 hours from Fargo and Duluth and 3.5 from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Entertaining show and a wonderful cast.
speaking as a native Minnesotan, agree. and yes, it is near the border, but i wish people would remember Fargo is North Dakota, not MN!
Some of the accents are painfully over the top, but overall that's what my customers from MN and ND sound like to me, doncha know.
mori

Post by mori »

Kraken wrote:
hitbyambulance wrote:
Some of the accents are painfully over the top, but overall that's what my customers from MN and ND sound like to me, doncha know.
The worst of the accents was when that whore was getting pounded by Sam Hess in the back of The Lucky Penny. I eye rolled that one but it was funny.

One scene that was really outstanding and caught MN character was when Lester was in the hardware store and the owner asked him to make him an offer on the socks. If you ever want to befuddle a Minnesotan is to haggle with them. "Just charge me what's fair", is going to be the response 9/10 times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Bruce Campbell is going to be playing Ronald Reagan as he passes through Fargo ... http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/09/ ... -fxs-fargo

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Season 2 is even better than season 1 so far. And that's saying something. I really, really love this show. I thought for sure that the quirky characters would eventually annoy me due to overuse, but they're doing a great job and making quirky seem natural.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I watched the first episode but haven't seen any others yet. Didn't think it would work without Martin Freeman, BillyBob, and mini-Tom Hanks, but the premier hooked me even though Kirsten Dunst and Nick Offerman were the only two actors I knew.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You had me at Bruce...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote:I watched the first episode but haven't seen any others yet. Didn't think it would work without Martin Freeman, BillyBob, and mini-Tom Hanks, but the premier hooked me even though Kirsten Dunst and Nick Offerman were the only two actors I knew.
Everyone in the cast is just knocking it out of the park. Although I was sad to see
Spoiler:
Kieran Culkin die early. If you haven't seen Igby Goes Down, you're missing a tour de force performance by the vastly underrated member of the Culkin clan.

Sookie: You call your mother "Mimi"?

Igby: "Heinous One" is a bit cumbersome.

[Sookie nods]

Igby: And Medea was taken.
The cinematography is also stellar. The quick shot split screen intro in episode 2? Who the hell does that kind of thing on tv? Just brilliant.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kraken wrote:I watched the first episode but haven't seen any others yet. Didn't think it would work without Martin Freeman, BillyBob, and mini-Tom Hanks, but the premier hooked me even though Kirsten Dunst and Nick Offerman were the only two actors I knew.

you don't know who Ted Danson is?

I'm partway into episode 2 and love the cast so far, except the guy from Everyone Loves Raymond. The guy from burn notice is there and that's awesome!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
mori

Post by mori »

naednek wrote:

you don't know who Ted Danson is?

I'm partway into episode 2 and love the cast so far, except the guy from Everyone Loves Raymond. The guy from burn notice is there and that's awesome!
<-- And Jesse Plemons from Breaking Bad and Friday Night Lights.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought I saw Dave Chappelle in the previews.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek wrote:I'm partway into episode 2 and love the cast so far, except the guy from Everyone Loves Raymond. The guy from burn notice is there and that's awesome!
Jeffrey Donovan, the lead.

Oh, and add Bruce Campbell.
In Fargo season two Campbell is slated to play Ronald Reagan
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jaymann wrote:I thought I saw Dave Chappelle in the previews.
I think you mean the insanely talented Bokeem Woodbine.
He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

I am really happy with Season 2 so far. The second episode was boring but I like the direction they are taking this. Almost all the actors are playing their characters spot on. The attention to detail is really impressive. Kirsten Dunst plays the passive-aggressive Minnesota housewife perfectly. But I think the Betsy character is a little too intuitive. Like the bad guys as they are all interesting and we are getting to know them.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I heard it wasn't getting great viewership and it might be in trouble, which is a shame, because last season was great! This season seems to be just as good, just feels slower.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This may be the best show on TV this fall so far. Wilson's scenes were fantastic in this last episode. I was practically holding my breath during the multiple stand offs he found himself in. It also works well with what we know of his older self in season 1.
He won. Period.
Toe

Post by Toe »

hepcat wrote:This may be the best show on TV this fall so far. Wilson's scenes were fantastic in this last episode. I was practically holding my breath during the multiple stand offs he found himself in. It also works well with what we know of his older self in season 1.
Just caught this week's episode last night, and I have to agree. Great stuff. The preview for next week looks like we are in for another intense episode. I kinda wish I hadn't watched it now as it spoiled a lot. Still, can't wait.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

hepcat wrote:
Jaymann wrote:I thought I saw Dave Chappelle in the previews.
I think you mean the insanely talented Bokeem Woodbine.

Hurry up man I gotta jerk off! /the big hit

I tried to get into this, but couldn't get into the first episode of season 1. I love billy bob and martin freeman, but maybe the pacing and I wasn't in the correct mood. Same with books sometimes. can't get into them and then try at a later date and like it.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I loved The Big Hit. One of the few films that the presence of Marky Mark can't even ruin.

If Fargo doesn't win an Emmy for cinematography, there's no justice in this world. Every damn scene looks like a painting. And I love what they're doing with the use of split screens and the narrative still. Usually that just feels like a gimmick. But in Fargo it feels organic.

The only downside is that some of the characters feel like they were just cut and pasted from season 1. But overall the show is just outstanding.
He won. Period.
mori

Post by mori »

I just loved the scene where Dodd took his nephew Charlie into the donut shop to beat down the Kansas City pussies. The expression on Charlie's face through it all made the scene.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Watched this week's episode last night. :shock: Well that escalated quickly. This show is firing on all cylinders for me at the moment, awesome stuff all around. I haven't been this engrossed with a series since True Detective 1. Some of the scenes are a little telegraphed (like the start of the butcher shop scene), but still awesomely done. I was a little disappointed that..
Spoiler:
they did not kill the other twin when they had the chance. I assume they left him alive to deliver the "package", but come on, he was obviously a strong foe that is now going to be coming back after them. Take him out and just drop off the package yourself or something.
Did anyone else think, regarding the cancer mom scene, that (conjecture spoiler).
Spoiler:
The kid was going to eat her mom's pills cause 1) she was wanting candy and 2) the pill bottle top was not securely fashioned?