ARK: Survival Evolved on Steam

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

mori

Re: ARK: Survival Evolved on Steam

Post by mori »

I see reports of other players having tames and items disappearing from the game. Looks like a known bug.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I leave for Disneyland tomorrow morning, so hopefully there aren't any major patches. I should be able to reboot things via phone, but I won't be as responsive as normal. I won't be back until Friday evening.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Have a great trip, Fret!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

v251.0 released. Looks like we can't get into server until its updated too.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
mori

Post by mori »

I would also suggest destroywilddinos as well. Populations are getting a bit out of hand a few places on the map.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Yeah there's a huge cloud of pteranodon near you
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Sorry. Patch dropped while I was in transit back from Anaheim. Server is restarting now, but my provider is having rolling restarts for the next three hours for maintenance, so it may drop abruptly.

[edit] - Seems like it doesn't want to boot. I'll blame the maintenance for now and check back on it in a bit.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Fretmute wrote:Sorry. Patch dropped while I was in transit back from Anaheim. Server is restarting now, but my provider is having rolling restarts for the next three hours for maintenance, so it may drop abruptly.

[edit] - Seems like it doesn't want to boot. I'll blame the maintenance for now and check back on it in a bit.
I'm in it now. Thanks for the updatye.

Did you have a good Disney time?
mori

Post by mori »

The Beelzebufo is my new favorite mount. Their ability to turn insects into cementing paste and chitin is so easy it almost feels like cheating especially with my base so close to the swamp. Now I find using one to collect meat is more preferable than an Argentavis. Plus they are so fun to hop around with and jump over my walls and not have to open and close gates all the time. They have more than enough speed and agility to get away from anything dangerous. Just have to get stamina up some more with mine.

I had planned to build a greenhouse next to my house, but then I could not figure out how I would get water all the way to the base. Running irrigation pipes does not seem practical as I envision all types of clipping issues. So I think I will build a satellite base on or next to the river and build my greenhouse there.
mori

Post by mori »

Thanks to whoever brought my Anky to my base. That could not of been easy. I did not have a good Ark session last night. I spent two game days and nights this morning on my frog searching the south jungle island for my Argy and I could not find him. He is probably still out there someplace in the world but time to call off the search and move on.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

My son and I both bought copies of this game. Could we join your server? We are PVE, not PVP types.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

dobberhd wrote:My son and I both bought copies of this game. Could we join your server? We are PVE, not PVP types.
I'm pretty sure he won't mind. He's welcomed everybody who wanted to play nice (PVE).

If I'm on, I can come invite you to our tribe. I think Mori is also a tribe admin. We'll also help get you started if you want. Right now, I'm prepping for tomorrow's cooking, but will probably be on between 10 and midnight MST to fuel up my equipment and feed my dinos.
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

My steam name is captainheath and my son's is dobberpuhlkids. Do we need to do anything in game to ask to join?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

dobberhd wrote:My steam name is captainheath and my son's is dobberpuhlkids. Do we need to do anything in game to ask to join?
Just give a shout in all chat when you're on and hopefully someone can hook you up. You have to physically go to the player to invite them to the tribe if you're not a server admin.
mori

Post by mori »

I am on most evenings for a few hours but not always good at seeing chat messages. Happy to help out in anyway I can.

Fret, will be able to restart the server on Turkey Day after the patch drops?
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

It's rebooting now. Give it ten minutes.

[edit] - I hopped on and did a DestroyWildDinos to get the new creatures to spawn, and it seems to have crushed things. It's been churning for half an hour, and hasn't been saving the world, so if I reboot it things will just go back to where they were. I'm going to give it maybe 15 more and then go nuclear.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Apologies if there have been connectivity problems. Things were fine this afternoon, and then I went out for drinks and came home and steam couldn't see the server. Patch days are hell.
mori

Post by mori »

I have not had any connectivity issues. Found my lost Argey this morning. I was flying one of my pteradons doing metal runs when I saw this argey way up at the roof of the world. Went to investigate and it was my guy :horse: . We ride again.
mori

Post by mori »

Thanks to all my building, crafting, and taming I have made the game pretty much unplayable for me. The stuttering and framerates are horrendous and I can barely ride a dino. I can play about an hour before it turns into a slideshow or clip fest. Last night while riding a terror bird I clipped half way across the map. Ended up under the floating island. I need to take a break for awhile anyways until the game is better optimized or I upgrade my PC. So feel free to take whatever I have and my dinos. Plenty of eggs in the trough and various kibble in the smokehouse. Take it before it goes bad. I do not have much for good equipment though.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

mori wrote:Thanks to all my building, crafting, and taming I have made the game pretty much unplayable for me. The stuttering and framerates are horrendous and I can barely ride a dino. I can play about an hour before it turns into a slideshow or clip fest. Last night while riding a terror bird I clipped half way across the map. Ended up under the floating island. I need to take a break for awhile anyways until the game is better optimized or I upgrade my PC. So feel free to take whatever I have and my dinos. Plenty of eggs in the trough and various kibble in the smokehouse. Take it before it goes bad. I do not have much for good equipment though.
Is that in vanilla Ark as well, or just with P+ enabled?
mori

Post by mori »

I have not played with the base game on a dedicated server. But my local game it was pretty rough after the patch that introduced Scorched Earth. But on your server it was smooth as silk until we all started to build up. Last night was the sign it was too much. I clipped from your base to the floating island and did not stop until I hit the water underneath. I was amazed I made it back to my base with my terror bird after I restarted this afternoon. But she is bad ass and she lays lots of eggs.

Edit: I did build a little thatch structure underneath if anyone find themselves down there. No storage though. A lot of obsidian and metal around.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The game is still constantly crashing for many, many people, including one of my systems.

That the company is making additional for cash unfinished products while the base game is still in early access rubs me the wrong way. Their 3rd party invasive anti-cheat protection software just adds to the bad taste in my mouth.
Fretmute

ARK: Survival Evolved on Steam

Post by Fretmute »

I understand the frustration of folks. I guess I've gotten lucky in that I haven't had a lot of issues recently. When I started a year and a half ago it was dramatically worse, which certainly isn't to say they should be forgiven, but they have been working on it.

I could conceivably back up the server and disable P+ and we could see if it's simply the structure rendering that is cratering you.
morlac

Post by morlac »

GreenGoo wrote:The game is still constantly crashing for many, many people, including one of my systems.

That the company is making additional for cash unfinished products while the base game is still in early access rubs me the wrong way. Their 3rd party invasive anti-cheat protection software just adds to the bad taste in my mouth.

Yep, I just refunded it after buying it during Thanksgiving sale. It ran ok on my old Nvidia 660 TI during a free weekend 2-3 months ago with things turned way down. I figured it run great on my new 1060 but not so much. Fiddled around for about 45 mins and then uninstalled in frustration after two crashes and crap performance. Bummer, but I'll probably try again one day, once it's finally released for real...
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Fretmute wrote:I understand the frustration of folks. I guess I've gotten lucky in that I haven't had a lot of issues recently. When I started a year and a half ago it was dramatically worse, which certainly isn't to say they should be forgiven, but they have been working on it.

I could conceivably back up the server and disable P+ and we could see if it's simply the structure rendering that is cratering you.
I'm not opposed to a restart. I'm not really playing now anyway. I just keep the dinos fed from time to time.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It runs reasonably well on my main system. The second system has an old (but high performance at the time) card and that's the one with a problem. Lots of people are having issues with newer cards though.

I'm still confused how in 2016 a game can crash to desktop because of a 3D engine and/or drivers. These things are so highly developed by now that they are practically virtualized layers.

I get that 3D graphics are math heavy, computationally intense and the code is complex. It's just that we've been doing it for 20 years now.
Kelan

Post by Kelan »

Cylus Maxii wrote:
Fretmute wrote:I understand the frustration of folks. I guess I've gotten lucky in that I haven't had a lot of issues recently. When I started a year and a half ago it was dramatically worse, which certainly isn't to say they should be forgiven, but they have been working on it.

I'm not opposed to a restart. I'm not really playing now anyway. I just keep the dinos fed from time to time.
Same here. Just let us know if you do :).
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Kelan wrote:
Cylus Maxii wrote:

Same here. Just let us know if you do :).
Well, if all I did was disable P+, conceivably you'd still have all of your levels, dinosaurs, and all of your structures that weren't remapped. It's certainly easy enough to test.
mori

Post by mori »

If I am the only one having issues there is no need to do anything. As I said I am taking a break from Ark.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Meh. I think most of us have maxed out the P+ experience, but I'm certainly not going to press the issue.
mori

Post by mori »

I will check in after the next major patch release and see if there are any performance improvements. But I do not have much hope.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

mori wrote:If I am the only one having issues there is no need to do anything. As I said I am taking a break from Ark.
I have heard others having issues when on-line on our server. I'm still OK out where I am, but I have experienced lot's of rubber-banding when getting near the center of the Jungle Islands on the map (where most of you have built). So, you're not alone.
mori

Post by mori »

Hey Fret, the latest patch default loaded BattleEye on your server. So we have to install it in order to join your server. Thought you should be made aware.

I loaded up my local save. Game runs just as crappy, maybe worse than ever.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

I can fix the command line tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

It seems that HostHavoc doesn't allow an option for adding arbitrary things to the command line, and the commandline builder is behind a rev and still has a tick option for "Use BattleEye". I'll put in a ticket when it's not Christmas. So for today at least we seem to be stuck.

I also rebooted it without PrimitivePlus, because I'm tired of it, to be quite honest. I backed everything up, so if you log in and your base is gone and you want to mutiny, it will be possible to go back.
mori

Post by mori »

I am no hurry to get back into the game. I was just curious of any performance changes but it seems the developers are not too interested in optimizing.
mori

Post by mori »

Checked out the server. I liked the mods that Fret installed. My performance is still very crappy so no change there. Have to rebuild my house.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'll have to check it out. It might be nice.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

So I have tried to play this game for several weeks with a real life friend of mine on the official PVP servers. Every time we get a foothold with a modest base, the "Alpha" tribe shows up and wipes everything we have. We've spend hours upon hours building up on 3 different servers and every single time we get completely wiped down to the foundations.

I like a certain amount of raiding and pvp, but when the Alpha shows up on dragons and completely obliterates your small METAL base in three shots -- I don't know how they can expect this game to last like that. The Alphas have completely taken over every single Official server.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
morlac

Post by morlac »

msduncan wrote:So I have tried to play this game for several weeks with a real life friend of mine on the official PVP servers. Every time we get a foothold with a modest base, the "Alpha" tribe shows up and wipes everything we have. We've spend hours upon hours building up on 3 different servers and every single time we get completely wiped down to the foundations.

I like a certain amount of raiding and pvp, but when the Alpha shows up on dragons and completely obliterates your small METAL base in three shots -- I don't know how they can expect this game to last like that. The Alphas have completely taken over every single Official server.

I don't pretend to know the details on it but server transfers on PVP servers seems like a terrible idea. Like completely lacking any common sense terrible. Years of PVP data on MMORPGS should have given a clue?