Suicide Squad Official Trailer

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

cheeba

Re: Suicide Squad Official Trailer

Post by cheeba »

The more I see of her the more I wish they did an origin movie for her before Suicide Squad.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never read the comics so can someone fill me in on the characters? Of course I know Harley and Deadshot and Croc.....but who us the sword girl, the witch, and the fire guy?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Daehawk wrote:I never read the comics so can someone fill me in on the characters? Of course I know Harley and Deadshot and Croc.....but who us the sword girl, the witch, and the fire guy?
My knowlege of them is limited, but I did get a good introduction to Katana (the sword girl) by watching BEWARE THE BATMAN ( which I did enjoy and their take on Anarky and Alfred as a badass. Thinking about it, that Alfred seems to have the same Earth-1 roots as Gotham.)
Jag

Post by Jag »

I learned of Katana from Arrow, but I suspect she was very different on that show.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What Im seeing in the new trailer is Joker is not part of the team and is just the city bad guy that Batman is after.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

JSHAW wrote:Reshoots, Beshoots, it's a no-brainer that this one is gonna make many many truckloads
of money, more than BvS. Not that that's a big thing, but it seems to make studios happy
and keep the sequel trains running on time.

From memory can anyone name all the members that are going to be IN
this movie version of Suicide Squad? Yes, I could IMDB it, but I kinda want
to see if anyone's knowledge is that awesome at this time.
From memory?

Killer Croc
Cap'n Boomerang
Flag
Harley Quinn
El Diablo
Deadshot

Maybe Slipknot
Maybe The Enchantress
Maybe Katana
(These three are all in the movie, but it isn't clear whether they are in the squad or not.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

One of the Joker's costumes.

The socks are absolutely fantastic. Dead on for the character.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scroll down to hear Margot Robbie talk a lot in her Aussie accent..wonderful.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... over-story
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Trending at 37% on Rotten Tomatoes but these are critics how're not really kind to comic book hero movies. I still want to see it
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just got free tickets for Friday. Hopefully it will be good. If not... at least it was free. 8-)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

And yet Capt America Civil War got a 93, The Avengers a 92, Iron Man 94, even Iron Man 3 which a lot of people panned got a 79.

Maybe its a DC thing but these SS reviews concern me. Its trending worse than Batman V Superman and most of the negative reviews are saying the movie lacks substance and cohesiveness. I dont know if its a comic book movie bias or not but we will know after the first week is done. The movie has been hyped big time and is expected to do great in its opening week but if it drops of like BvS then DC is in trouble. BTW IM not a DC hater, Ive liked the DC movies so far and really want to see SS succeed.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

rshetts2 wrote: cohesiveness
This is my concern. I can't even keep up with all the characters in the trailers. I'm pretty sure that the trailers that I've seen don't even try to show all the characters. I watched one of the links someone posted (maybe a Comic Con one) and was thrilled that they went through the characters after the trailer. Even then, though, I'm not sure they covered every character.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This isn't good at all.

I fully expected Suicide Squad to be the redemption DC needed after Batman v Superman, but if it fails to deliver then I don't know where they go from here. I have to believe that those review scores are probably not going to go up a great deal, if at all - typically a movie drops in rating as time goes on, not the reverse. :shock:

It's especially concerning given that I believe most fans were hyped for this one - it wasn't carrying the negative preconceptions of Batman v Superman. For it to be debuting this low is really troubling.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The half a dozen or so reviews I've seen suggest it's a mess because unlike The Avengers, they're introducing over half of the people in this film for the first time. So instead of seeing a bunch of known characters coming together and somehow working with one another, you're getting a movie that's filled with backstory and origins. If it's a movie made for hardcore DC fans (that know all the characters) that's one thing...but as a broad appeal, mass market blockbuster? I am guessing it's just not there.

Which still doesn't explain the success of Guardians of the Galaxy (besides a better script and story) but there you go.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Guardians was carried on Pratt's back and they introduced characters in a measured fashion. I'm hearing this is like a machine gun of introductions. Plus frankly Zack Snyder's vision for DC has just been wrong. They need to move on from him.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:Which still doesn't explain the success of Guardians of the Galaxy (besides a better script and story) but there you go.
For all intents and purposes GoG introduced four protagonists with one truly main character, Star Lord. That's no different than Star Wars or most other films

Starlord
Gamora
Rocket and Groot are basically one character
and the lesser character of Drax
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Who or what is the villain in this show?
Spoiler:
I've read speculation that it's Enchantress but I don't know.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

malchior wrote:Plus frankly Zack Snyder's vision for DC has just been wrong. They need to move on from him.
All indications are that they are/have.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote:The half a dozen or so reviews I've seen suggest it's a mess because unlike The Avengers, they're introducing over half of the people in this film for the first time. So instead of seeing a bunch of known characters coming together and somehow working with one another, you're getting a movie that's filled with backstory and origins. If it's a movie made for hardcore DC fans (that know all the characters) that's one thing...but as a broad appeal, mass market blockbuster? I am guessing it's just not there.
I'm one of those don't-know-the-characters people, and I haven't been following this movie apart from watching the trailer. I recognize the Joker and I've heard of the cute girl, Harley Quinn, but otherwise nothing.

I had assumed that they were just remaking the Dirty Dozen with comic-book villains. They should have done that.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I saw the AVClub review, which gave it a C+ and said that it's polished and stylish but otherwise makes little sense.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't frequent the DC subreddit, but the stories that I hear from the Marvel people that frequent both have said that the DC-or-die crew have been wearing sackcloth and ashes since BvS.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Max Peck wrote:
That's a "circlejerk" subreddit. It's meant to be dumb. The guy that tweeted that got trolled. I never knew we had ]tweet[ tags, though! Learned something new.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Reviews are not kind to this movie thus far.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm seeing this Saturday, really looking forward to it
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I will see it for Harley alone.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

cheeba wrote:That's a "circlejerk" subreddit. It's meant to be dumb. The guy that tweeted that got trolled. I never knew we had ]tweet[ tags, though! Learned something new.
The guy that tweeted it was doing a whole series of "ironic" hipster tweets about the film (mostly lauding Killer Croc), so I think he knew that it was intended to be dumb but it went with his theme for the day. All I know is that I thought the over-the-top emo was funny as hell. :)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote:
malchior wrote:Plus frankly Zack Snyder's vision for DC has just been wrong. They need to move on from him.[/quote

All indications are that they are/have.
Right - in part - we'll just have to see what happens with the Justice League movie.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Isgrimnur wrote:I don't frequent the DC subreddit, but the stories that I hear from the Marvel people that frequent both have said that the DC-or-die crew have been wearing sackcloth and ashes since BvS.
I can understand that. I've always considered myself more of a DC guy than a Marvel guy, mainly because my number one superhero is Batman - always has been, always will be. I also grew up watching Super Friends and Justice League, so that's where my nostalgia lies.

The upcoming DC slate looks pretty dismal for a big comeback. Wonder Woman and Aquaman aren't exactly top shelf heroes these days, even though I like the casting. Zack Snyder still has the directing reigns for the two Justice League movies, so we can imagine how those are going to turn out. Shazam? Give me a break. Cyborg? Another B-list hero. Unless one of those films completely surprises people's expectations, I don't see how they claw their way out of this mess.

I really don't care if DC's film business is *as* successful as Marvel, I just want them to be successful period. Suicide Squad, to many DC fans, was our last shot at that.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

YellowKing wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I don't frequent the DC subreddit, but the stories that I hear from the Marvel people that frequent both have said that the DC-or-die crew have been wearing sackcloth and ashes since BvS.
I can understand that. I've always considered myself more of a DC guy than a Marvel guy, mainly because my number one superhero is Batman - always has been, always will be. I also grew up watching Super Friends and Justice League, so that's where my nostalgia lies.

The upcoming DC slate looks pretty dismal for a big comeback. Wonder Woman and Aquaman aren't exactly top shelf heroes these days, even though I like the casting. Zack Snyder still has the directing reigns for the two Justice League movies, so we can imagine how those are going to turn out. Shazam? Give me a break. Cyborg? Another B-list hero. Unless one of those films completely surprises people's expectations, I don't see how they claw their way out of this mess.

I really don't care if DC's film business is *as* successful as Marvel, I just want them to be successful period. Suicide Squad, to many DC fans, was our last shot at that.
Dont forget that because Marvel had optioned off their top tier heroes, The X Men and Spiderman, they had to make their move with b list heroes. Iron Man wasn't a major hero until they knocked it out of the park with the first Iron Man. I do not think that DC's movie issues are the selection of heroes, after all they opened with their two big guns, Batman and Superman, and have fallen flat. Their problem is vision and direction, not hero level. Until they get that right, it doesnt matter what hero they put out there.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

YellowKing wrote:I really don't care if DC's film business is *as* successful as Marvel, I just want them to be successful period.
My biggest fear is that DC floods the market and kills the genre.

Between the trailers for Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, and Justice League, I had hope that they had gotten their shit together. I'm really surprised by these poor reviews.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just don't know why they keep Snyder at the helm. Bruce Timm has proven time and again that he knows how to structure a story that works in the context of its characters. He should be the godfather of the DC cinematic universe.

As for Suicide Squad, it sounded initially like they were just making a live action version of the incredibly excellent Assault on Arkham, but it's sounding more and more like they just borrowed from it without capturing the spirit of that animated film that made it so damn great. :cry:

The point of my post?

Fire Snyder, hire Timm
Watch Assault on Arkham
He won. Period.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Max Peck wrote:
cheeba wrote:That's a "circlejerk" subreddit. It's meant to be dumb. The guy that tweeted that got trolled. I never knew we had ]tweet[ tags, though! Learned something new.
The guy that tweeted it was doing a whole series of "ironic" hipster tweets about the film (mostly lauding Killer Croc), so I think he knew that it was intended to be dumb but it went with his theme for the day. All I know is that I thought the over-the-top emo was funny as hell. :)
Oh man so it was like double-meta. That's way too meta for me! But yeah I liked that review too :).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

They really crushed the trailers for this movie, though. So there's that.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:They really crushed the trailers for this movie, though. So there's that.
And really, that's what this thread is all about. :coffee:
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The IGN review of this is not good. I tend to give them more credit too when it comes to super hero movie reviews, simply because they understand the source material.

The key points; the Joker doesn't fit into the story at all, there are WAY too many characters, and the second half makes no sense and is much less interesting than the first half. Also the villain is generic and lame.
FTE
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:
El Guapo wrote:They really crushed the trailers for this movie, though. So there's that.
And really, that's what this thread is all about. :coffee:
Enlarge Image

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The word on the DC street is that roughly the following occurred:

1. They shot BvS and expected great things.
2. They shot most of Suicide Squad.
3. BvS was released and panned. They got nervous, Snyder got sidelined.
4. They released the Suicide Squad trailers and everyone got all exciteded.
5. Someone told them that nearly every comic, light-hearted moment in the movie was in the trailers, and the film was nothing like that. It was shot in the era before Snyder was brushed off.
6. They brought in the company that cut the trailers to reshoot millions worth of stuff to make the (finished) film match the trailers.
7. They showed both versions (the director's original intent and the funny re-shoot, re-cut) to test audiences to see which one to go with.
8. They compromised with a new cut that is a bastardized mix of the two.

And audiences ended up confused. I know very little about making movies, but even to me the above sounds like an insane way to go about it.

The real hope is for the films actually made AFTER the BvS kerphluffle, starting with Justice League.