Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: Legendary buys film and tv rights to Dune [movie] Dune 2021

Post by McNutt »

I thought Paul was the hero in the first book. In the second book, however...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He foresaw the mass genocide to come thanks to his ascension even in the first book.
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Part 2 was supposed to come out in November but has now been delayed until March 15, 2024.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

gilraen wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:45 pm Part 2 was supposed to come out in November but has now been delayed until March 15, 2024.
that's a paywall there at the ol' ...Des Moines Register

non-paywall:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dune ... 235703991/
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Are they just doing the original book, or are they planning to go forward with sequels as well?
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've heard the plan is to do at least Dune Messiah
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:49 pm Are they just doing the original book, or are they planning to go forward with sequels as well?
Yeah, the plan is to release Dune Part Two (finishing the first novel) and then (according to Villeneuve interviews) do Dune Messiah, which novel-wise is a shorter narrative and doable in one movie. Villeneuve has indicated that he wants to stop there.

Of course if the money is absurd, someone will be tapped to do Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune in the same style. If it were smart and savvy and Villeneuve, I'd be delighted to see these.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:07 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:49 pm Are they just doing the original book, or are they planning to go forward with sequels as well?
Yeah, the plan is to release Dune Part Two (finishing the first novel) and then (according to Villeneuve interviews) do Dune Messiah, which novel-wise is a shorter narrative and doable in one movie
...and is the actual conclusion to the story
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would love to see Villeneuve tackle the other four books that Frank wrote, but they get denser and denser as they plod on. And I highly doubt he wants to face down a decade or more working on the same franchise. I can't blame him, to be honest.

So I doubt we'll get anything beyond the next movie.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Messiah ends the story as far as most moviegoers are considered. I don't think the books beyond that are commercially viable.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Wasn't Children of Dune part of the Sci-Fi mini-series? It does get tough when you get to God Emperor, and the novels past that are set way in the future, with clones of Duncan Idaho being the only common thread.

As much as Hepcat dislikes them, the Brian Herbert prequels would translate rather well to movies as they aren't so bogged down in philosophy as God Emperor and beyond.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:10 pm
As much as Hepcat dislikes them, the Brian Herbert prequels would translate rather well to movies as they aren't so bogged down in philosophy as God Emperor and beyond.
A dumbed down Dune might be good for the teens, I suppose.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:12 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:10 pm
A dumbed down Dune might be good for the teens, I suppose.
Name a movie that hasn't been dumbed down and yet was successful enough for a sequel. While I haven't seen this latest Dune yet (won't until it's complete), the other attempts have certainly dumbed down the original material, with the Sci Fi channel version oddly coming closest.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:10 pm Wasn't Children of Dune part of the Sci-Fi mini-series? It does get tough when you get to God Emperor, and the novels past that are set way in the future, with clones of Duncan Idaho being the only common thread.
The Sci-Fi series did do Children of Dune, with Leto II plastering himself with sandworms and running really fast.

I don't think Children or God-Emperor lend themselves to cinematic treatment. The first has a sort of a plot, but it already leans hard into the internal monologue pattern (fully consummated in the latter) where Herbert is basically disguising essays as novels.
I am unaware of any Brian Herbert Dune novels, and I intend to remain unaware of them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:27 pm
I am unaware of any Brian Herbert Dune novels
You need to look in YA.
Jeff V wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:10 pm While I haven't seen this latest Dune yet (won't until it's complete)
You won’t like it. At no point do they force Lady Jessica into a tight Hooters tank top.
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:27 pm I am unaware of any Brian Herbert Dune novels, and I intend to remain unaware of them.
Why? They are entertaining, provide backstory all the way to the Butlerian Jihad. They flesh out many characters that Frank skimmed over (like Count Fenring -- boy is he a bad-ass!) and the real deal behind the Bene Tlelaxu (and why you don't see their women).

If you're looking for another masterpiece like the original Dune, it's certainly not it. But if you want entertaining stories including historical context, Brian's stories are as good as most protracted sci-fi/fantasy series.

My biggest complaint -- and this was started by Frank so hardly Brian's fault -- is that the story arcs cover thousands of years with the same principal protagonists. This is where the brain needs to be checked at the door.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:32 pm You won’t like it. At no point do they force Lady Jessica into a tight Hooters tank top.
I've yet to meet a Hooter's girl versed in the Weirding Way, and believe me, I've met a lot of them. So non-sequitur.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Jeff V wrote:
Holman wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:27 pm I am unaware of any Brian Herbert Dune novels, and I intend to remain unaware of them.
Why? They are entertaining, provide backstory all the way to the Butlerian Jihad. They flesh out many characters that Frank skimmed over (like Count Fenring -- boy is he a bad-ass!) and the real deal behind the Bene Tlelaxu (and why you don't see their women).

If you're looking for another masterpiece like the original Dune, it's certainly not it. But if you want entertaining stories including historical context, Brian's stories are as good as most protracted sci-fi/fantasy series.
I’m with Jeff V on this, much to hepcat’s frustration as a purist.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'll just say that I tried starting a couple of the BH books, and they felt like second-rate fan fiction.

There's also a kind of "milking an IP for all it's worth" that I find not to my taste. (A lot of Star Wars stuff feels like that.)

I'll own up to being a purist.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:08 am I'll just say that I tried starting a couple of the BH books, and they felt like second-rate fan fiction.
Hey! :shock:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

:lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When the blurb said, "The Moby Dick of wild birds," that should have been a clue.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

God Emperor has like 4 action sequences. Unfortunatly, there are 200 pages of dialog in between each one. And, I don' know how the plot of the book would translate into a movie.

Spoiler:
)paraphrased)

Duke Leto II (Pauls Son)

My father saw the future of humanity, and the path on how to save it, but he refused and turned away.
I follow the path, not for my own sake, but so that humanity will survive.
Humans are predators, warlike, and aggressive. in the absence of prey they turn on each other.
With all of humanity in the same basket of the emperium, this path leads to humanity wiping itself out.

Therefore, I will follow the golden path, and become the god-emperor. Force humanity into ten thousand years of peace.
I will become the ultimate predator and prey. I will become a tyrant, all of humanities hatred and warlike rage will be focused on me, and it will be moot, for I will crush all resistance. humanity will remain stagnant, railing against the immoveable rock that is me, but also surviving. pressure will build, humans need an enemy, yet I will forbid and prevent them from harming each other.

And when I am finally toppled, it will be the lid flying from a steam kettle. humans will scatter, fleeing to the corners of the universe, free from my constraints. Humankind will have finally learned a lesson on tyrants and kings that this time will not be forgotton. And humans will finally be out of the basket, forever beyond the capability of wiping themselves out.

this is the fate I resolve myself to. It is the golden path.

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Golden Path is basically "variety is dangerous because it leads to conflict, so I will enforce conformity so that it eventually erupts into variety-squared."

Yeah. Once you get beyond the "Messiahs are always flawed and ideologies are always inadequate" message of the first two books, everything Herbert says is kinda bullshit.

Whenever I reread Dune, I'm reminded of the weird Jungian psychology of it all.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:24 pm I would love to see Villeneuve tackle the other four books that Frank wrote, but they get denser and denser as they plod on. And I highly doubt he wants to face down a decade or more working on the same franchise. I can't blame him, to be honest.

So I doubt we'll get anything beyond the next movie.
i mentioned earlier, but if Dune pt 2 does well, Villeneuve has said he wants to do Dune: Messiah to finish out the story arc, but that's it for him. (and if _that_ does well, some other director will be tapped to do ... whatever comes next, in the studio's mind)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh man, a Michael Bay Children of Dune would be great! Maybe they could add Bumblebee from the Transformers to lighten things up!

...although I guess Michael Bay COULD handle the series for the Brian Herbert stuff.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Surely there's some weirdo director out there who would love to do the omniscient eternal worm emperor, right?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Uwe Boll?
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:05 pm Surely there's some weirdo director out there who would love to do the omniscient eternal worm emperor, right?
Bring Jodorowsky out of retirement for one last job.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Cronenberg Dune: God Emperor
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A worm would never sweat on Dune.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

New trailer.

Sudy

Post by Sudy »

This series is just so outstanding visually and conceptually. But I really don't think I like Zendaya in this. And I'm not sure part two can stand on Chalamet's shoulders either. He's kind of a wiener.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I couldn't help it, I have been thinking about this for hours. Many many hours. Obviously I own this shirt, and so should you.

Enlarge Image

https://shirt.woot.com/offers/pumpkin-spice-must-flow
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:D
The two sandworms really take it to the next level.
That's great.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sudy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:05 pm This series is just so outstanding visually and conceptually. But I really don't think I like Zendaya in this. And I'm not sure part two can stand on Chalamet's shoulders either. He's kind of a wiener.
I also struggle with those two in the lead (It's the James Franco syndrome: just because someone is popular doesn't mean they should be cast in EVERYTHING), but they did a passable job in first one. But Chalamet's weenie-ness might actually work to his advantage in the second part as we see pampered nobleman become hardened freedom fighter.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dune 40th Anniversary tickets, Feb 18-19
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I think Chalamet is perfectly cast…he has serious acting chops. REALLY didn’t like the Zendaya casting decision for the first one, but she didn’t ruin it for me either, so hopefully that will continue.

The movie was so damn good on so many levels that her being in it was overcome.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:23 pm I think Chalamet is perfectly cast…he has serious acting chops. REALLY didn’t like the Zendaya casting decision for the first one, but she didn’t ruin it for me either, so hopefully that will continue.

The movie was so damn good on so many levels that her being in it was overcome.
I thought she did well enough, but I agree on how good the movie was. I'm going to watch it again before the second part comes out.

On a side note, Chalamet really is that good. If you've seen his SNL appearances, it's obvious he can do pretty much anything. His rap character is hysterical, and his performance in Dune is spot on. I like it MUCH better than Kyle MacLachlan from the 80's. But then again, that movie scarred me at a young age. I went in not knowing anything about it, and when the Baron pulled that dude's "heart plug" out and he bathed in the blood, I got up and ran out.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins