Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Shootings

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:44 pm
I read the Twitter thread you linked, Holman
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

HENDERSON COUNTY, N.C. (FOX Carolina) - The Henderson County Sheriff’s Office announced the 3-year-old girl who accidentally shot herself on Christmas day has passed away.

Deputies said they were sent to Spicer Cove Road around 2:25 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 25 for an accidental shooting.

The 911 caller said they had a visitor who had a gun in their car, which they didn’t know about. The caller said the child picked up the gun and it went off.

The caller also said that the child was riding her new bicycle when the accident happened. The caller’s wife was going to change the child’s clothes when she climbed into the truck and found the gun.
Completely avoidable. I wouldn't call this an accidental shooting. It's a negligent shooting.

Another source:
In a 911 call released Tuesday by the Henderson County Sheriff’s Office, Aylee’s father, retired Henderson County Sheriff’s Captain Tim Gordon, told the dispatchers a family visitor left a 9-millimeter pistol in a pickup truck Saturday while the little girl was riding her new bike. “She picked up a pistol and shot herself in the head by accident,” Gordon told the dispatcher.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:53 pm DFW
A 14-year-old suspect in a Sunday night shooting that killed three teens and wounded another at a Texas convenience store was arrested on an outstanding warrant, authorities said.
ABC News
Father allegedly drove 14-year-old son to store to commit murder, police say

A father and his 14-year-old son have been charged with capital murder in the killings of three teenagers at a convenience store on Dec. 26, according to Garland Police Department in Texas. A fourth teenager was injured in the attack.

33-year-old Richard Acosta has been arrested in connection with the incident after turning himself in to GPD. His bond has been set at $1,000,000.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

School officials knew the sophomore had done this, the suit states, but told students and parents there was nothing to worry about.

Then he showed up with ammo.

On the day before the massacre, Ethan Crumbley brought bullets to class and had them out on full display — this in addition to researching ammunition on his cell phone that same day, a revised lawsuit states. School officials knew about the bullets, the suit claims, along with a Tweet he posted on Twitter hours later: “Now I am become

Death, the destroyer of worlds. See you tomorrow Oxford.”

According to Hannah, video surveillance at the school showed that it was Ethan Crumbley who left the bird's head in the bathroom.

Turned out, it wasn't the only animal head sighting at the school.

According to the school's website, someone had dumped a severed deer’s head in a school courtyard on Nov. 4, and scrawled messages in red acrylic paint on the pool deck and various windows. Shortly thereafter, parents started complaining to the school principal about threats to students made on social media.

Enlarge Image

It goes on.. Seems like they dropped the ball on multiple occasions.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Both the bird's head and the bullets on the desk are new to me. The bullets should have been enough for him to be done. Taking that in to account with previous behavior, I'm inclined to put more blame on the school than I was before.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Orlando Sentinel
A spokesman for Florida’s State Board of Administration was shot and killed in an apparent road-rage incident last week near Tallahassee, according to law enforcement and news reports.

Florida Politics cited unnamed sources who said the incident began when Kuczwanski’s BMW veered out of its lane and hit the Prius, after which both drivers pulled into a parking lot.

The driver of the Prius confronted Kuczwanski, and then got back into his car to wait for law enforcement to investigate the accident, the sources told Florida Politics.

The exchange then escalated dramatically as “Kuczwanski rammed his BMW into the Prius on the driver’s door, and began pushing the car sideways in the parking lot,” according to the account. “Kuczwanski then shot a gun at the white Prius, according to the sources.”

The Prius driver, who also had a gun, shot and fired back into Kuczwanski’s windshield, striking him, the sources told Florida Politics.

Previously arrested for brandishing in road rage incident at same location.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess those anger management classes didn't quite take.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Road rage is something that terrifies me. You never know when you are going to run into a total psycho. I try my best to just get the hell out of the way of anyone driving crazy.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

So....the guy who was killed had previously brandished a gun in a road rage incident, and was the first to fire in this one? And was killed by return fire?

Wow. I mean, I guess it's good that the other driver had a gun.....but...damn. I guess this is why people feel the need to carry.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:02 pm Road rage is something that terrifies me. You never know when you are going to run into a total psycho. I try my best to just get the hell out of the way of anyone driving crazy.
A couple of weeks ago I was driving home and made the mistake of stopping at a yellow light rather than trying to speed through it. The guy behind me was less than thrilled. He leaned on his horn throughout the entire light. I was watching him in the rearview mirror, and he was literally thrashing around in anger. He was biting his seat belt, smashing his steering wheel, and even ripped off his own rearview mirror. When the light turned green he kept speeding up like he was going to ram my car only to back away at the last second. Eventually he passed me, cut me off, then slammed on his brakes coming to a nearly complete stop. I was able to slow down in time without much issue (I was expecting that move) but looked in my rearview again to see the car behind me forced to slam on their brakes. They lost their shit, whipped around me, and started harassing the insane driver in front of me. The two of them went speeding down the road and out of sight.

At first I was amused, but once I realized how crazy this guy was I was just thankful my daughter wasn't in the car. We take that road every night on our way home from daycare. I was also glad that he didn't take a couple of shots at me. A crazy person in Florida? He was definitely armed.

Edit: I forgot 3 very important characters
Last edited by msteelers on Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

msteelers wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:31 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:02 pm Road rage is something that terrifies me. You never know when you are going to run into a total psycho. I try my best to just get the hell out of the way of anyone driving crazy.
A couple of weeks ago I was driving home and made the mistake of stopping at a yellow light rather than trying to speed through it. The guy behind me was less than thrilled. He leaned on his horn throughout the entire light. I was watching him in the rearview mirror, and he was literally thrashing around in anger. He was biting his seat belt, smashing his steering wheel, and even ripped off his own rearview mirror. When the light turned green he kept speeding up like he was going to ram my car only to back away at the last second. Eventually he passed me, cut me off, then slammed on his brakes coming to a nearly complete stop. I was able to slow down in time without much issue (I was expecting that move) but looked in my rearview again to see the car behind me forced to slam on their brakes. They lost their shit, whipped around me, and started harassing the insane driver in front of me. The two of them went speeding down the road and out of sight.

At first I was amused, but once I realized how crazy this guy was I was just thankful my daughter was in the car. We take that road every night on our way home from daycare. I was also glad that he didn't take a couple of shots at me. A crazy person in Florida? He was definitely armed.
I assume you meant NOT in the car.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I assumed she's a bodyguard.

I had a pedestrian road rage on me yesterday because I had the audacity to stop as he crossed in front of me against the light. He yelled "What the fuck are you looking at?" And flipped me off. I chuckled which sent him off so I just drove around him. Felt sorry for his dog who was getting jerked around by the leash in the middle of the street.

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That kind of anger is REALLY bad for your heart. Ask my dad. Spent a lifetime with a terrible temper, blowing up at every little slight, and now his retirement is spent chewing nitroglycerin tablets because he can't make it up a flight of stairs without his chest hurting.

I used to be the same way. Finally I got it through my thick skull that temper tantrums not only didn't accomplish anything, they were also hastening my own demise.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:38 pmI assume you meant NOT in the car.
Whoops. Yeah, that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The families of five children and four adults killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting have reached a $73 million settlement with the now-bankrupt gun manufacturer Remington and its four insurers, the plaintiffs' attorneys said Tuesday.
The families have also "obtained and can make public thousands of pages of internal company documents that prove Remington's wrongdoing and carry important lessons for helping to prevent future mass shootings," the plaintiffs' attorneys said in a news release.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs contended that the company marketed rifles by extolling the militaristic qualities of the rifle and reinforcing the image of a combat weapon -- in violation of a Connecticut law that prevents deceptive marketing practices.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...with dad's unsecured handgun.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How else was the tyke supposed to be able to stop a carjacking?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I guess you're right, mom isn't taking dad's car.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The response was to go to the parking lot and hand out 400 gun locks. This wasn't a gun lock issue. This is someone who had no business with that firearm. It's either on your person or cased.

The last thing we need are idiotsninna parking lot administratively handling chambered guns to get a lock in the barrel. You can get a gun lockbox for like $18. Less than the price of a box of 9mm.

Holmes stood outside the supermarket Sunday, handing out 400 gun locks while speaking to shoppers, families in particular, about the importance of gun safety.

"All it takes is a second: unlock it, thread it through the barrel, bring it back around, put it in and lock it back," Holmes added. "If you leave it, secure it."
SMFH.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:15 pm This wasn't a gun lock issue
Agreed. But when did that stop anyone from pushing their pet project?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:28 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:15 pm This wasn't a gun lock issue
Agreed. But when did that stop anyone from pushing their pet project?
"Dolton trustee and crisis responder" doesn't seem too into his actual job.

Going to go out on a limb here and guess it was a Glock or otherwise had no manual safety.

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Police are hunting a masked gunman targeting homeless people while they sleep
A masked gunman has struck five times in nine days - shooting homeless people as they slept on the streets of New York and Washington DC.

Police say the "modus operandi" is the same in each case and the mayors of the two cities fear a "cold-blooded killer" is on the loose.

Two of the people died. One's tent was set on fire, after he was stabbed and shot.

A reward is now being offered to catch the killer.

DC's Metropolitan Police Department said one man was shot on 3 March and another on 8 March - both in the middle of the night.

They were injured but survived.

Just a day later, emergency services responded to a tent fire in the city where they found a man inside who had been fatally shot and stabbed.

In New York, a masked suspect first shot a man sleeping on a street in Manhattan's Soho neighbourhood in the early hours of the morning.

Deputy Chief Hank Sautner of the New York Police Department said at a news conference: "The victim, who was shot in the arm, woke up and shouted 'what are you doing?' and the suspect fled."

Around one hour later, according to police, that same person shot and killed another man also sleeping in Soho.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

A real life murder hobo.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Actually. No.

That would be a person with not attachment to the community that goes around killing anyone they care to and moving on and doing it in the next place.

If I understand the term correctly.

These are closer to hobo murders.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I just like saying murder hobo.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I mean, who doesn’t
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
The incident occurred Tuesday afternoon, when a man and woman -- neither wearing life jackets -- fell off a Jet Ski into Lake Keowee, the sheriff's office said in an earlier news release, citing the information and evidence gathered in the investigation.

A couple on a nearby pontoon boat saw the man and woman "in distress in the water" and brought them on board, the sheriff's office said, as the Jet Ski continued doing circles in the lake.

"The man, who had been rescued, became agitated and began assaulting the couple on the pontoon," the statement said. "Investigators have been told that the man may have wanted to get back to the Jet Ski."

The rescued woman tried to de-escalate the situation by pushing the agitated man back into the water, the statement said. The couple then helped him back in the boat a second time.

Another confrontation occurred, the sheriff's office said, and the man on the pontoon boat "shot the man fearing for his and his wife's life while being assaulted."
The man died on the pontoon boat, per the sheriff's office.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, that guy sounded pretty psychotic.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That one is particularly weird. In one article, they state that the boat owner pushed him back in the water, and in others they state his female companion did so.

My only guess is that drugs were involved.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I think the only weird thing about it is that it didn't happen in Florida.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

South Carolina, same genetic material.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

School shooting in my county - not my kids' school though. One 7th grade boy shot another - victim taken to the hospital and unclear how they are doing. Not great.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:00 pm School shooting in my county - not my kids' school though. One 7th grade boy shot another - victim taken to the hospital and unclear how they are doing. Not great.
Never ceases to amaze and devastate me. I suppose when it does cease I will know that I have finally died inside. :(
Just one more thing our system can not or refuses to address. We are worse than a third world country because we have the resources to be better. So much better. Yet we insist on treating ourselves and our world like lumps of shit.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:00 pm South Carolina, same genetic material.
Thank goodness we have utopian states containing only people with ‘pure’ genetic material to save the country. 🙄
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Fair enough...just note that I am probably overly sensitive to those kinds of remarks because it's suuuuuuper difficult being from here, with my liberal proclivities. It's a weird, complex, probably dysfunctional love/hate relationship.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:30 am Fair enough...just note that I am probably overly sensitive to those kinds of remarks because it's suuuuuuper difficult being from here, with my liberal proclivities.
I agree. It seems like every morning I have to wake up and remember the reasons why I'm staying for another day.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:00 pm School shooting in my county - not my kids' school though. One 7th grade boy shot another - victim taken to the hospital and unclear how they are doing. Not great.
Unfortunately the victim passed away and now we have a 12-year-old charged with murder. :cry:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:30 am Fair enough...just note that I am probably overly sensitive to those kinds of remarks because it's suuuuuuper difficult being from here, with my liberal proclivities. It's a weird, complex, probably dysfunctional love/hate relationship.
My family has been from Indiana for just over 200 years. I'm the first of my family born outside of Indiana since around 1820, and I have still ended up spending the larger portion of my life here (~29/48 years.) I'm right there with you. I've had to learn that family, home, and individual are all different things. There are thousands of good people in Indiana, and there are plenty of good qualities about the state and the culture. And yet I know that Indiana is still a backwards shithole. That reflects on the people that keep it that way, though, not me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)