Into the Breach (Turn based Rogue-like from the FTL devs)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Into the Breach (Turn based Rogue-like from the FTL devs)

Post by GreenGoo »

I haven't won anything yet, so all I've seen is my max level guy being being available each time I restart.

I have unlocked another mech team, but I haven't used them yet. Do they come with their own pilots? I missed that.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The pilots are independent of the mech teams, IIRC. I meant that the particular pilot strengths of your 'best' one may suit certain teams better than others, so you will likely find yourself wanting to change out the pilot you pull forward over time.

And you're right-I forgot that you can bring one forward whether you win or lose.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

In some cases, the level-up bonuses are pretty crappy (+3% defence? pass), so, whenever you start a new run, it may be in your best interest to ditch a high-level pilot with bad skill-ups so you can level up a fresh guy from the ground up. I personally prefer +1 Mech Reactor and +1 Mech Move. You can never go wrong with +1 reactor, and +1 move is also not going to steer you wrong.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:08 pm The pilots are independent of the mech teams, IIRC. I meant that the particular pilot strengths of your 'best' one may suit certain teams better than others, so you will likely find yourself wanting to change out the pilot you pull forward over time.
Fair enough. I haven't seen enough pilot skills to have realized they might create tough decisions.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skipped the sale and just bought it. I don't mind supporting the developer one bit as I've sunk in tons of time with FTL as well. I'm still waiting on Skyrim SE to get an update for SKSE64, so I'm branching into other games.

I'm struggling with some of the achievements and teams. Mostly, anything that relies heavily on re-positioning the enemy. In general, my favorite pilot is Camila Vera - unaffected by Webbing and Smoke. I once got her with +1 Reactor and +2 HP and ran her for several attempts before she died.
  • Rift Walkers are easy and straight-forward. I've got all the achievements, but only one victory because I moved on.
  • Steel Judoka completely fail on me - enemies are never in good places where I can use them to kill each other, let alone effectively. Since they do so little damage themselves, I've never even finished the first island. I don't think I have any achievements here, but have only tried twice.
  • Really enjoyed the Rusting Hulks and got all their achievements. The electric smoke dynamic was/is a blast to play with and I love coating the battlefield in something that hurts enemies and does nothing to me. My most successful run included finding smoke bombs so I could drop 5 tiles of it in a pinch.
  • Flame Behemoths are fun, too. Like the Rusting Hulks - coating the battlefield in fire is satisfying.
  • Zenith Guard is interesting. I love the laser, but the Brute is problematic unless you've got a pilot that adds 1 armor. Then he's awesome.
  • Frozen Titans have not yet been unlocked.
  • Blitzkrieg can be painful. I've had two "SO CLOSE" runs. 32 minutes. Really? Where did I waste two minutes? You've really got to nail everything on the first move and commit. No replaying turns, no thinking. Planning must be done while enemies are moving. On top of that, the pull cord and boulder Mechs are very limited in power - and sometimes kind of fall victim to my lightning whip. :oops: They did help me get the 10-tile chain achievement, though.
  • Hazardous Mechs frustrates me because it's sometimes not so easy to get a kill every round with every Mech to keep them alive. I think I've gone deep into the second island, but never much further.
  • Had a ball with triple laser Mechs for a custom team, but fell on my butt on Island 3 when things get tougher and you really need knockback to save buildings. Having none was lethal. Up until that point, though, the game was "You're dead. You're dead. You're dead. You're dead. Done." I should probably have moved to the final battle instead of the third island.
This is a very fun tactical game, and I'm really enjoying it. I think I have two teams left to unlock - but I've nabbed all the achievements I could do easily.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Rusting Hulks are one of my favorites, too. And it doesn't hurt that their theme song is pretty badass (right up there with 'Old War Machines' for me as best of this soundtrack).

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:34 amThe Rusting Hulks are one of my favorites, too. And it doesn't hurt that their theme song is pretty badass (right up there with 'Old War Machines' for me as best of this soundtrack).
Huh. Cool.

I've been playing with no headphones so I'm not cut off from the kids & wife and life around the house. Never heard that before. :oops:
Black Lives Matter

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Paingod wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:39 am
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:34 amThe Rusting Hulks are one of my favorites, too. And it doesn't hurt that their theme song is pretty badass (right up there with 'Old War Machines' for me as best of this soundtrack).
Huh. Cool.

I've been playing with no headphones so I'm not cut off from the kids & wife and life around the house. Never heard that before. :oops:
It's a good reason to play the Switch version on the TV, with actual home theater speakers. I actually think the sound design in ItB is readlly well done.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've only unlocked one team of mechs so far and I absolutely hate them. They are highly specialized and I'm not ready to solve puzzles using gimmick mechs yet. One mech crashes into targets (damaging itself), another pulls targets 1 square towards itself, doing no damage unless they make contact (it also has the ability to shield a target twice per battle) and the 3rd mech is more standard in that it has a weapon, shoots ahead and does damage over 4 squares, reducing how much damage is done based on how far away the square is. I.e. the first square takes 4 damage and the last square does 1. It pierces no matter how many targets, so if a building is in one of the 4 square range, it will take damage.

I still don't have a strong handle on solving the puzzles with the standard team, and pushing (self damage) and pulling (no damage) is a bit more tricky than I want to deal with right now. I still just want to move and shoot, move and shoot.

Which means I unlocked a team that I'm not going to use (not completely true, I've used them several times) and go back to the default team for now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The good news is you can rack up a bunch of achievement coins without hitting that 2nd squad's specific achievements. If you open the achievement list, you can pore over the full list to find a few that look doable, then unlock a different set of mechs.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Also, pushing and pulling is arguably more powerful than shooting. Especially on your third and fourth island, you can't really kill a lot of the bugs in one shot, but they're still targeting buildings. So, you have to move them out of the way.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:29 pm Also, pushing and pulling is arguably more powerful than shooting. Especially on your third and fourth island, you can't really kill a lot of the bugs in one shot, but they're still targeting buildings. So, you have to move them out of the way.
Or move them into each other, or aim their attacks at each other, etc.

Yes, focusing solely on shooting the bugs out of existence is not gonna do it on harder difficulty / 4-island runs.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:29 pm Also, pushing and pulling is arguably more powerful than shooting. Especially on your third and fourth island, you can't really kill a lot of the bugs in one shot, but they're still targeting buildings. So, you have to move them out of the way.
Think of it like this. I'm learning how pawns and maybe rooks work. I'm happy and building some core competence with them.

I'm not willing to start learning Knights and Bishops just yet. No one is arguing that Knights and Bishops aren't valuable, or even better in many situations. I'm just not ready to switch to them yet. Also, I just don't wanna. My brain is lazy it can move pawns forward without too much smoke coming out my ears. It's too lazy to even think about Knights, yet.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:55 pmThink of it like this. I'm learning how pawns and maybe rooks work. I'm happy and building some core competence with them.

I'm not willing to start learning Knights and Bishops just yet. No one is arguing that Knights and Bishops aren't valuable, or even better in many situations. I'm just not ready to switch to them yet. Also, I just don't wanna. My brain is lazy it can move pawns forward without too much smoke coming out my ears. It's too lazy to even think about Knights, yet.
I have kind of the same issues. If you're struggling (like I am), don't unlock the Steel Judoka set until last. I believe it's directly beneath the Rift Walkers. If the Rift Walkers are Pawns and Rooks, and the Zenith Guard are Bishops and Knights, then the Steel Judoka is like a Queen that crossbred with a Knight while the Bishop watched. All they do is shuffle enemies around without really hurting them, and you're supposed to use enemies to kill each other.

Eventually you'll want to unlock them all - but some of them will be challenging to acclimate to. I spent last night struggling to learn how to use the Steel Judoka and failing. I cleared the first island and got a couple achievements with them, but no wins.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It took my a long time to see the strengths and weaknesses of each squad. Checking back...

I still have two more Jodka Squad achievements, but I was trying to do that concurrent with "Immortal", "There is no Try", and "Untouchable"

It's still on my desktop. I intend to get back to this game one day. I will probably have to learn from scratch. I don't even remember whats left to unlock... I wan't to say I was close to finishing the unlocks but I don't know without playing through.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

To be clear, I'm not complaining about how each mech and mech team is constructed and works.

I'm complaining that I don't wanna wrestle with this particular team's dynamics right now. They are less straightforward and require more abstract thought than I want to deal with at the moment.

The differences in teams and mechs is one of the games strengths, not weaknesses. I'm not saying that knights suck or that chess sucks because knights exist.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Scored a couple achievements with the Hazardous - Healing 10 in One Battle & 8 Damage in One Hit. The team collapsed hard on the 4th island and I lost like two missions in. I now have all regular teams unlocked, and one last 25-coin goal. 24 coins to go. :shock:

Quick question... if I have a "Heal one to heal all" passive bonus, does that "revive" a disabled Mech? I know that if a Hazardous Mech kills itself while killing something else, it heals back and lives - but will that work if it's been a turn or more?

I'm digging the variety between islands more each time I run.
  • Green is standard, but has some water fun - like breaking a dam or tidal waves.
  • Desert is nice for Terraformers and smoke cloud cover to prevent damage.
  • Ice is fun for freezing enemies, rendering them (temporarily) harmless.
  • Industrial has great opportunities to use ACID on everything, doubling damage.
Which begs the question - what's the best course to take through here? Is it 1,2,4,3 - so the hardest enemies get frozen and made harmless? Or is it 1,2,3,4 to try and exploit double-damage on high-HP foes? Is it something off-the-wall like 4,1,3,2? Why? Do you have a preference?
Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Paingod wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 am Scored a couple achievements with the Hazardous - Healing 10 in One Battle & 8 Damage in One Hit. The team collapsed hard on the 4th island and I lost like two missions in. I now have all regular teams unlocked, and one last 25-coin goal. 24 coins to go. :shock:

Quick question... if I have a "Heal one to heal all" passive bonus, does that "revive" a disabled Mech? I know that if a Hazardous Mech kills itself while killing something else, it heals back and lives - but will that work if it's been a turn or more?

I'm digging the variety between islands more each time I run.
  • Green is standard, but has some water fun - like breaking a dam or tidal waves.
  • Desert is nice for Terraformers and smoke cloud cover to prevent damage.
  • Ice is fun for freezing enemies, rendering them (temporarily) harmless.
  • Industrial has great opportunities to use ACID on everything, doubling damage.
Which begs the question - what's the best course to take through here? Is it 1,2,4,3 - so the hardest enemies get frozen and made harmless? Or is it 1,2,3,4 to try and exploit double-damage on high-HP foes? Is it something off-the-wall like 4,1,3,2? Why? Do you have a preference?
The 'heal all' may revive a disabled mech. I know there's a specific piece of equipment that's one-use per battle and it does revive disabled mechs, so this probably follows the same rules.

For some reason, I prefer doing the ice island first. It's got those obnoxious little robots, which has the potential to drastically up the enemy count on a map, especially if you can't kill them. Plus, a lot of the water is blocked off by ice, meaning I can't chuck Vek in there to drown them. I try to do Desert and Green second, because they have those annoying train missions and the terrain restorer/rocket launch missions, and when it's the second or third island, the Vek are still manageable. Acid land comes last every time, since there's acid everywhere, which is great for putting the hurt on the tougher Vek that you see if it's the fourth island.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Heal all does revive mechs, but I do not believe it revives their pilots.

I tend to follow the same island order as Nick.

I have to say again that I love the Rusting Hulks. I ran through with them lat night and happened to also purchase the smoke deployment upgrade (which costs zero power and lets you drop a 5-cell block of smoke once per battle). Combined that with the double-damage-from-smoke power upgrade and just laid down smoke all over the map. Kills bugs real good.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This thread got me to play again. Spent too much time on it. Working on the beating the game on hard achievement. After that I have to do three of the same mechs and then actually win like five more times with assorted squads. If I do that I will have pulled all 55 achievements. That might very well be a first for me if my attention span holds out. I don't think any other game in my library has seen me finish all of its achievements.

I had to look up the familiar face achievement. I'd have never noticed on my own.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've still got something like 20 achievements to go, but have gone back to Skyrim since SKSE64 got updated. :oops:
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I have to beat the game with four more squads to go from coin 54 to coin 55. Amazing how achievement hunting by squad consistently didn't end up with me winning.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, some of those achievements tend to come during the course of normal play, but some of that stuff requires you to hobble yourself pretty badly.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:14 pm I've only unlocked one team of mechs so far and I absolutely hate them. They are highly specialized and I'm not ready to solve puzzles using gimmick mechs yet. One mech crashes into targets (damaging itself), another pulls targets 1 square towards itself, doing no damage unless they make contact (it also has the ability to shield a target twice per battle) and the 3rd mech is more standard in that it has a weapon, shoots ahead and does damage over 4 squares, reducing how much damage is done based on how far away the square is. I.e. the first square takes 4 damage and the last square does 1. It pierces no matter how many targets, so if a building is in one of the 4 square range, it will take damage.

I still don't have a strong handle on solving the puzzles with the standard team, and pushing (self damage) and pulling (no damage) is a bit more tricky than I want to deal with right now. I still just want to move and shoot, move and shoot.

Which means I unlocked a team that I'm not going to use (not completely true, I've used them several times) and go back to the default team for now.
I'm struggling with this team (Zenith Brigade), too. I've been through and won a Final Victory (with all objectives) with both the starting mechs and the Rusting Hulks. But the Zenith Brigade is proving to be really difficult. They just don't seem to have enough fire power to take down the threats effectively. Trying to use the Science Mech to best effect, pulling enemies into water where possible and shielding buildings/mechs, but I keep getting my ass handed to me. Doesn't help that my Charging Mech is only good for a couple attacks before it's beat its own head in! Frustrating.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Kurth wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 am I'm struggling with this team (Zenith Brigade), too. I've been through and won a Final Victory (with all objectives) with both the starting mechs and the Rusting Hulks. But the Zenith Brigade is proving to be really difficult. They just don't seem to have enough fire power to take down the threats effectively. Trying to use the Science Mech to best effect, pulling enemies into water where possible and shielding buildings/mechs, but I keep getting my ass handed to me. Doesn't help that my Charging Mech is only good for a couple attacks before it's beat its own head in! Frustrating.
One of the pilots, Abe (I think?) has a special ability where he grants his mech one point of armor. Put him in that charger and watch it go from zero to hero in 4.5 seconds.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:07 pm
Kurth wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 am I'm struggling with this team (Zenith Brigade), too. I've been through and won a Final Victory (with all objectives) with both the starting mechs and the Rusting Hulks. But the Zenith Brigade is proving to be really difficult. They just don't seem to have enough fire power to take down the threats effectively. Trying to use the Science Mech to best effect, pulling enemies into water where possible and shielding buildings/mechs, but I keep getting my ass handed to me. Doesn't help that my Charging Mech is only good for a couple attacks before it's beat its own head in! Frustrating.
One of the pilots, Abe (I think?) has a special ability where he grants his mech one point of armor. Put him in that charger and watch it go from zero to hero in 4.5 seconds.
I haven’t unlocked that pilot yet. Interesting.

But even when I buff the HPs for the Charging Mech, I’m still getting owned with the Zenith Brigade. I fell like I’m often outnumbered anyway, and when you add on to that the fact that one of your three mechs - Science Mech - has very little to no offensive impact, it’s tough.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kurth wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 am I'm struggling with this team (Zenith Brigade), too. I've been through and won a Final Victory (with all objectives) with both the starting mechs and the Rusting Hulks.
It's frustrating enough that it has put me off the game for a bit. I've got 2 out of 3 achievements for the first team, and zero for my second and only unlocked team.

Which means I can't unlock another until I achieve something with either of those two teams. I'm stuck with a team I hate and one that won't give me enough rewards to unlock any else.

Also, I don't like the idea that I can game the game, set up a situation where I can achieve one of the goals for the 2nd team, ignoring trying to win that particular game. I like achievements that occur if you do exceptional things during regular play, not gimmicky things.

To make matters worse, even if I play the first island perfectly, unless I can win the 2nd one too, all the time spent getting past the first island is meaningless. I understand why this is designed this way, but when combined with my troubles related to the 2 teams I have, it was frustrating enough that I quit playing for now.

My progress right now is capped, either because I'm not willing to game the game to grab an achievement, or because I can't get past the 2nd island with my 2nd team.

I realize I can (and will) game the game to make progress, and I realize I can just use the first team to beat the 2nd island while ignoring the team I most recently unlocked.

Neither is very satisfying however.

This is more about how I view gaming and games, less about the design of the game, so I didn't bother to complain about it here before. I know it's mostly me and not the game itself.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

There are a lot of achievements not tied to the squads you have now. You are not tied to furthering those squads in order to unlock more.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

/runs and looks up zenith brigade.

They were not one of the groups I had problems with. My guess is I charged then healed, charge then healed but more likely I probably spent a lot of effort using the science mech to position a threat in such a way that I could then ram it into the water or another threat or on top of a spawning point. I also probably shopped to change weapons between islands either for the science or the brute.

I think the hardest squat for me was the three flying custom squad but that might have been because I tried and failed and tried and failed and tried and failed to knock out both three flying and three of the same mech in one run again and again and again before accepting defeat on that.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:03 pm
/runs and looks up zenith brigade.

They were not one of the groups I had problems with. My guess is I charged then healed, charge then healed but more likely I probably spent a lot of effort using the science mech to position a threat in such a way that I could then ram it into the water or another threat or on top of a spawning point. I also probably shopped to change weapons between islands either for the science or the brute.
Yep. That's pretty much what I'm doing with them, and I'm actually having better luck right now. Have 3 solid pilots, including the guy who gives you 2 resets instead of 1, which is helping when I screw up. Also got the passive weapon that allows a mech healing to heal all other mechs as well, and that is a big help with keeping up the health of my battering ram mech. On a perfect playthrough now having secured 2 islands. We'll see how it goes from here on out . . .
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:36 pm There are a lot of achievements not tied to the squads you have now. You are not tied to furthering those squads in order to unlock more.
Ok, good to know.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Finally made it through with Zenith Brigade, but the game had to be nearly perfect to win with them.

Secured all objectives on 3/4 islands but got screwed by a digger on the Detritus island when a conveyor belt I hadn't noticed moved it in front of one of the power plants I was supposed to defend and it promptly destroyed the plant and killed my science mech pilot, Isaac Jones (with temporal reset perk ).

Went into the final battle with a full grid and 31% defense. Had 3 maxed out pilots: Lily Reed (Impulsive: Gain +3 Move on first turn of every mission) in the charging mech, Chen Rong (Sidestep: After attacking, gain 1 free tile movement) in the science mech and Henry Kwan (Maneuverable: Mech can move through enemy units) in the prime mech.

Enhancements to the charging mech included +1 damage and HP boosted to 7, along with secondary weapon launching missiles once per battle that hit every enemy on the board for 2 damage. The prime had its HP boosted to 5, movement increased to 4 and beam damage increased to +1 with allies immune. The prime also carried a secondary passive weapon that boosted all damage to enemies dealt from bumping or from blocking Vek by +1, which really helped my charging mech a ton. The science mech got an HP boost, but that was about it.

Even with that squad maxed out and the mechs boosted, I barely got by the final battle. It was close, with my power grid knocked down to 2.

This game is challenging! It's also a ton of fun. Really hits the sweet spot for me for TBS and chess-like puzzle solving. Really glad I picked it up, and love playing it on the go on my (son's) Switch.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I love it for a reason that you highlighted--when I lose, I can always track why: because I screwed up and didn't notice a conveyor belt, etc. The game is actually very fair.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I had a terrifying/fun moment last night. I was trying for the 'beat the game on hard' achievement on Switch last night. I took the Rusting Hulks out, planning a 2-island run.

First island went fine--well, even. I picked up the Smoke Drop (drops smoke on 5 tiles anywhere on the map) and Missile Barrage (fires a missile barrage that hits every enemy on the map for 1 damage) during the first island. Those are a remarkably solid combo for the Hulks, as the Hulks already use a lot of smoke and have an innate bonus ability of Storm Generator, which makes all smoke tiles damage enemies every turn. So the ability to drop a bunch of extra smoke, as well as to deal 1 damage to all enemies as a finishing blow, is useful.

The 2nd island therefore went pretty well, too. I made it to the final battle in what I thought was pretty good shape--23% resistance and a full damage bar loadout. I took a bit of careless damage during the first half of the final battle, and entered the 2nd half with a couple bars missing.

The 2nd half on hard is pretty difficult, and I took a bit more damage, dropping down to 2 bars left going into the final turn. I was about to hit the end-turn button when I noticed one remaining Vek that I hadn't seen while moving my troops. And I had already used my reset. Gah!

Then I looked at his intended action and saw it was a 3-point attack on one of my buildings. Which would wipe me out. So close!

I hit Y. My building resisted like a boss.

I won.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I knocked out the hard and three of the same mech achievements with three of the punch mechs that upgrade into self shielding punch mechs. It was a cakewalk. That was after failing again and again and again to try and do three of the same mech and three flying mechs achievement with three of flying cloud making mechs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've unlocked four squads. The Steel Judoka set was an immediate regret in spending the coins there. I should have come to the thread earlier and listened to Paingod.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I keep meaning to get back to this one. It's on my desktop. I had a lot further I wanted to get and by now I've forgotten everything.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this is still the closest thing we're going to get to the turn-based Front Mission titles on the PC (outside of PS1 emulation) (unless Squeenix decides to port them over at some point)
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

New update is out now. It's on sale for the Switch, so I picked it up. Going to dive in tonight!