2024 Fundraising - $0 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Israel–United States relations and associated politics

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Victoria Raverna

Re: Israel–United States relations and associated politics

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Interview with Queen Rania of Jordan:

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have literally never thought to myself, I wonder what the Queen of Jordan thinks about something? I should ask her.

Pass.

And this is not unique to her. There is a nearly infinite number of people I don't care what they think on any given topic. Many of those people are here on OO :D
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I never thought of it but her 'thunk' has some weight, being a Queen, being Jordanian, being a Palestinian. She's watching closer and with more historical knowledge and informed present knowledge than most.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:46 am I never thought of it but her 'thunk' has some weight, being a Queen, being Jordanian, being a Palestinian. She's watching closer and with more historical knowledge and informed present knowledge than most.
+1
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, fair.

I still don't care. I think I've heard enough opinions on the subject to last me until the next palestinian/israeli crisis. At least.
Victoria Raverna

One source of news on Gaza silenced. I guess someone here is going to be happy about this.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Silenced?"

They shut down a local office. Al Jazeera is far from silenced. In fact:

WATCH: Al Jazeera promises to continue coverage of Gaza war despite Israeli ban
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:40 pm "Silenced?"

Well, the Israeli cabinet (per your link) voted to shutdown Al Jazeera's operations in the country. Israel may not be able to fully shutdown their ability to go into Gaza, and they can't limit their ability to operate / broadcast outside of Israel, but I have to think this is going to have a severe impact on their ability to report from Israel, and it has to put their reporters in Gaza at risk (since that's legally within Israel).

I don't know how it's all going to play out (I wouldn't be shocked if this is rolled back after the next Israeli elections), but...it's not good.
Black Lives Matter.
Victoria Raverna

So more like they tried to silence, but failed?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When a biased news source gets quieter, I am neither happy nor sad. There are plenty of others to fill that particular void.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:26 pm When a biased news source gets quieter, I am neither happy nor sad. There are plenty of others to fill that particular void.
Al-Jazeera's international reporting is considered less politically biased and more factually reliable than primetime (i.e. not punditshow) Fox News.

Would it be a good thing for the Biden administration to shut down Fox News because they don't like its reporting?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:26 pm When a biased news source gets quieter, I am neither happy nor sad. There are plenty of others to fill that particular void.
They're only biased to you because you used to your news source to be very biased to the other side.

Their bias rating is not that bad:

https://adfontesmedia.com/al-jazeera-bi ... liability/
Overview

Ad Fontes Media rates Al Jazeera (website) in the Skews Left category of bias and as Reliable, Analysis/Fact Reporting in terms of reliability. Al Jazeera (website) is a news organization funded in part by the government of Qatar. Launched in 1996 as a broadcast station “for the public benefit,” it is now a global network with bureaus in 70 locations around the world. Its television channels are broadcast in several languages, and its websites are published in both Arabic and English.

Overall Score
The following are the overall bias and reliability scores for Al Jazeera (website) according to our Ad Fontes Media ratings methodology.

Reliability: 41.55

Bias: -6.63

Panels of analysts from Ad Fontes Media regularly review representative sample content to rate it for reliability and bias. Each panel of analysts comprises one left-leaning, one right-leaning, and one center-leaning analyst.

The team considers a variety of factors when rating content. To determine its reliability score, we consider the content’s veracity, expression, its title/headline, and graphics. We add each of these scores to the chart on a weighted scale, with the average of those creating the sample content’s overall reliability score.

To determine sample content’s bias score, we consider its language, its political position, and how it compares to other reporting or analysis from other sources on the same topic. We add each of these scores to the chart on a weighted scale, with the average of those creating the content’s overall bias score.

The bias rating, demonstrated on the Media Bias Chart®️ on the horizontal axis, ranges from most extreme left to middle to most extreme right. The reliability rating, demonstrated on the chart’s vertical axis, rates sources on a scale from original fact reporting to analysis, opinion, propaganda and inaccurate/fabricated information.

Reliability scores for articles and shows are on a scale of 0-64. Scores above 40 are generally good; scores below 24 are generally problematic. Scores between 24-40 indicate a range of possibilities, with some sources falling there because they are heavy in opinion and analysis, and some because they have a high variation in reliability between articles.

Bias scores for articles and shows are on a scale of -42 to +42, with higher negative scores being more left, higher positive scores being more right, and scores closer to zero being minimally biased, equally balanced, or exhibiting a centrist bias.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Back in 2012(?) while on vacation in Thailand I thought Al Jazeera was a better source of international news than anything I had access to here. Of course if they now take anything HAMAS states as pure facts then they wouldn't be. Are there no war zone reporters anymore? Network lawyers won't let them report from war zones due to liability issues? I don't feel we get any accurate facts. I need to see what HAMAS did, and then I need to see what the IDF is doing.
Israel: Essentially "The Alamo" 24/7, 365 since 1947
Victoria Raverna

I think IDF limited the access of reporters to Gaza. Most of the reports coming out of Gaza were from local reporters that live in Gaza.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll just quote this and save time.
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:47 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:34 pm https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/al-jazeera/

Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
MBFC’s Country Freedom Rank: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.

In review, Al Jazeera reports news with minimally loaded wording in their headlines and articles such as this: UN approves team to monitor ceasefire in Yemen’s port city, and Erdogan delays Syria operation, welcomes US troop withdrawal. Both of these articles are properly sourced from credible news agencies. When reporting USA news, there is minimal bias in reporting such as this: Pentagon chief Mattis quits, cites policy differences with Trump. In general, straight news reporting has a minimal bias; however, as a state-funded news agency, Al Jazeera is typically not critical of Qatar.

Al Jazeera also has an opinion page that exhibits significant bias against Israel. In this article, the author uses highly negative emotional words as evidenced by this quote: “Europe is increasingly sharing Israel’s racist approach to border security and adopting its deadly technologies.” This article, however, is properly sourced from credible media outlets. Another article, “How many more ways can Israel sentence Palestinians to death?” also uses loaded language that is negative toward Israel. Further, the opinion page does not favor US President Donald Trump through this article: ‘Barbed wire-plus‘: Borders know no love. In general, opinion pieces are routinely biased against Israel and right-wing ideologies.
In other words, they're unbiased except in regards to Qatar and Israel. And yes, it said 'opinion page', but it still shows that where Israel is concerned, they're willing to look the other way when it comes to integrity. And, as things stand, there is active tension between Al Jazeera and Israel, who has, in the past, tried to expel the organization from the country (including a current effort.)
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:46 pm I'll just quote this and save time.
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:47 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:34 pm https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/al-jazeera/

Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
MBFC’s Country Freedom Rank: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.

In review, Al Jazeera reports news with minimally loaded wording in their headlines and articles such as this: UN approves team to monitor ceasefire in Yemen’s port city, and Erdogan delays Syria operation, welcomes US troop withdrawal. Both of these articles are properly sourced from credible news agencies. When reporting USA news, there is minimal bias in reporting such as this: Pentagon chief Mattis quits, cites policy differences with Trump. In general, straight news reporting has a minimal bias; however, as a state-funded news agency, Al Jazeera is typically not critical of Qatar.

Al Jazeera also has an opinion page that exhibits significant bias against Israel. In this article, the author uses highly negative emotional words as evidenced by this quote: “Europe is increasingly sharing Israel’s racist approach to border security and adopting its deadly technologies.” This article, however, is properly sourced from credible media outlets. Another article, “How many more ways can Israel sentence Palestinians to death?” also uses loaded language that is negative toward Israel. Further, the opinion page does not favor US President Donald Trump through this article: ‘Barbed wire-plus‘: Borders know no love. In general, opinion pieces are routinely biased against Israel and right-wing ideologies.
In other words, they're unbiased except in regards to Qatar and Israel. And yes, it said 'opinion page', but it still shows that where Israel is concerned, they're willing to look the other way when it comes to integrity. And, as things stand, there is active tension between Al Jazeera and Israel, who has, in the past, tried to expel the organization from the country (including a current effort.)
No more biased than US mainstream media sources.

For example NYT:

https://adfontesmedia.com/new-york-time ... liability/
The following are the overall bias and reliability scores for The New York Times according to our Ad Fontes Media ratings methodology.

Reliability: 42.00

Bias: -7.91

Panels of analysts from Ad Fontes Media regularly review representative sample content to rate it for reliability and bias. Each panel of analysts comprises one left-leaning, one right-leaning, and one center-leaning analyst.

The team considers a variety of factors when rating content. To determine its reliability score, we consider the content’s veracity, expression, its title/headline, and graphics. We add each of these scores to the chart on a weighted scale, with the average of those creating the sample content’s overall reliability score.

To determine sample content’s bias score, we consider its language, its political position, and how it compares to other reporting or analysis from other sources on the same topic. We add each of these scores to the chart on a weighted scale, with the average of those creating the content’s overall bias score.

The bias rating, demonstrated on the Media Bias Chart®️ on the horizontal axis, ranges from most extreme left to middle to most extreme right. The reliability rating, demonstrated on the chart’s vertical axis, rates sources on a scale from original fact reporting to analysis, opinion, propaganda and inaccurate/fabricated information.

Reliability scores for articles and shows are on a scale of 0-64. Scores above 40 are generally good; scores below 24 are generally problematic. Scores between 24-40 indicate a range of possibilities, with some sources falling there because they are heavy in opinion and analysis, and some because they have a high variation in reliability between articles.

Bias scores for articles and shows are on a scale of -42 to +42, with higher negative scores being more left, higher positive scores being more right, and scores closer to zero being minimally biased, equally balanced, or exhibiting a centrist bias.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Did I compare it to the NYT, which I don't read anymore because of their crap?
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:58 pm Did I compare it to the NYT, which I don't read anymore because of their crap?
No. But NYT with all their problem is still a respected news media. They're not Fox News.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Which still has bupkis to do with Al-Jazeera's bias toward Qatar and against Israel. They're not a reliable news source, regardless of how some people feel about the New York Times.
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:05 pm Which still has bupkis to do with Al-Jazeera's bias toward Qatar and against Israel. They're not a reliable news source, regardless of how some people feel about the New York Times.
You're wrong about that. While they have their bias against Israel and also have bias toward Qatar, they're a reliable news source.

Even when reporting about Israel-Gaza, they are very reliable. A lot of other mainstream media reported the same things that they reported except Al Jazeera is usually faster in reacting to new incident at Gaza.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

they have their bias against Israel
Even when reporting about Israel-Gaza, they are very reliable.
These are not compatible.
Victoria Raverna

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:40 pm
Then I guess you can't rely on mainstream US news media, too? Most if not all of them have bias toward Israel.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thousands rallying in Tel Aviv against Netanyahu

https://apnews.com/video/israel-governm ... 1ad3ca12dc
Protesters are demanding the government reach a deal to bring the hostages back from Gaza, for new elections and the resignation of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The demonstration took place as a delegation of the Palestinian militant group Hamas was in Cairo for cease-fire talks with Israel. (AP video by Shlomo Mor)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:35 am
Then I guess you can't rely on mainstream US news media, too? Most if not all of them have bias toward Israel.
Definitely can't rely on mainstream US news media, but they don't seem biased toward Israel to me. The mainstream media along with the current administration now seem more like Jew haters. :wink:
Israel: Essentially "The Alamo" 24/7, 365 since 1947
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh well, as long as they’re not attacking Trump’s leash holder in Russia, it’s still a win for Trumpers. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:46 pm

Well, the Israeli cabinet (per your link) voted to shutdown Al Jazeera's operations in the country. Israel may not be able to fully shutdown their ability to go into Gaza, and they can't limit their ability to operate / broadcast outside of Israel, but I have to think this is going to have a severe impact on their ability to report from Israel, and it has to put their reporters in Gaza at risk (since that's legally within Israel).

I don't know how it's all going to play out (I wouldn't be shocked if this is rolled back after the next Israeli elections), but...it's not good.
It's not nothing but they're not silenced.

As far as their reporters' safety, that is certainly an issue but Al Jazeera reporters have never really been safe in Gaza (also Gaza) or the West Bank.

I guess I'm just saying that Al Jazeera will be able to continue their reporting with significant reach.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Victoria Raverna

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:13 am

As far as their reporters' safety, that is certainly an issue but Al Jazeera reporters have never really been safe in Gaza (also Gaza) or the West Bank.

I guess I'm just saying that Al Jazeera will be able to continue their reporting with significant reach.
If this video is factual, then they're being silenced:

Victoria Raverna

Rafah invasion is imminent?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:17 am

Is NBC News silenced because it's banned in North Korea?

Israel is blocking (censoring) Al Jazeera within Israel. Al Jazeera still has a voice in the rest of the world. We must have different understandings of the word "silenced."

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

U.S. put a hold on an ammunition shipment to Israel
The Biden administration last week put a hold on a shipment of U.S.-made ammunition to Israel, two Israeli officials told Axios.
The White House declined to comment.

The Pentagon, the State Department and the Israeli Prime Minister's Office didn't immediately respond to questions.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Victoria Raverna

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:48 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:17 am

Is NBC News silenced because it's banned in North Korea?

Israel is blocking (censoring) Al Jazeera within Israel. Al Jazeera still has a voice in the rest of the world. We must have different understandings of the word "silenced."
I meant they're being silenced with their reporting from Israel or Gaza. They can still report stuffs just it is going to be much harder to report from inside Israel or Gaza. I think that counted as being silenced, right?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Blocked, not silenced, as Lawbeef notes. I don't agree with it either, and I really think it's high time Netanyahu was run out of office for crap like this, but Al Jazeera isn't being shut down.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He already answered you.

To save you time, his answer was yes. You are correct. The NYT in particular is not a news source he relies on any longer, and many other mainstream news sources are also off his list of reliable news.

I hope that helped your attempts to convince him that Al J while biased re: Israel, is not biased re: Israel.
Victoria Raverna

GreenGoo wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:34 am
He already answered you.

To save you time, his answer was yes. You are correct. The NYT in particular is not a news source he relies on any longer, and many other mainstream news sources are also off his list of reliable news.

I hope that helped your attempts to convince him that Al J while biased re: Israel, is not biased re: Israel.
Then what is reliable news source for him or you? Your facebook friends? ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We, like yourself, only trust news sites that tell us what we want to believe. :)
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:17 am We, like yourself, only trust news sites that tell us what we want to believe. :)
Maybe you, not me. When I saw some news, I checked other news source to see if they're reporting the same thing. Now that doesn't guarantee the news are factual but at least that'll minimize "fake news".
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:20 am
hepcat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:17 am We, like yourself, only trust news sites that tell us what we want to believe. :)
Maybe you, definitely me.
FTFY :wink:
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

hepcat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:21 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:20 am
Maybe you, definitely me.
FTFY :wink:
Fucking ass.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean, you insult others who disagree with you by joking they only trust their facebook friends for news, but get this upset when someone dings you back jokingly?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm low key fascinated by how difficult it is to maintain a civilized, informative discussion on Israel / Palestine. On all sides, mind you.
Black Lives Matter.