The Platform Wars (Steam, Epic, GoG, etc)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sudy

Re: The Platform Wars (Steam, Epic, GoG, etc)

Post by Sudy »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:07 pm That said, the best prices still seem to be on 3rd party sites...
I've never found a reason not to use Green Man Gaming. They're legit by all accounts, but their prices are usually 10-15% lower and redeem on Steam. Sometimes Epic's an option as well.

Is There Any Deal is definitely great and an ideal option for managing wish lists and sale notifications. You have to play with their settings to make sure you're not getting bombarded with emails though, without missing anything. It can also be a bit annoying as sometimes there are multiple listings for the same games/DLC. But it's usually obvious which one is most accurate as they'll list prices for the most storefronts.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That issue is, as far as I can tell, caused by older, delisted versions. Their whole system is automated, I believe, so when a company delists a game and then relists it (or relists it as a GOTY or whatever), it leaves 'orphans.'

And yeah, it'll notify you about every item on every sale if you don't tell it what you want notifications about. Personally, I only have it notify me if a game goes under a certain price (defined by me.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sudy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:36 pm I've never found a reason not to use Green Man Gaming. They're legit by all accounts, but their prices are usually 10-15% lower and redeem on Steam.
I agree, however...

The single best reason to purchase directly from Steam is the refund policy. If you're not sure if the game will run or you're not sure if you're going to like it, you can always just refund it as a direct Steam purchase. That's not an option of you use Green Man or another 3rd party. I only mention this because I would have absolutely returned DOOM Eternal if I could have. I thought I could trust that I'd like it so I picked it up on sale via GMG. Awful, awful game. I can't recall it ever happening with another game, but I'm definitely a bit more...cautious now.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Well, I don't buy games to play them... and if I do it's probably years later when the return policy no longer applies. :lol:

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:10 am Well, I don't buy games to play them... and if I do it's probably years later when the return policy no longer applies. :lol:
Ha! Truth. :(
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

Yeah, if you're just straight up cramming your digital shelf with games you can't go wrong with Green Man.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blizzard titles coming to Steam:
Blizzard Entertainment is bringing its PC games to Steam, starting with the release of Overwatch 2 on Valve’s digital storefront on Aug. 10, Blizzard announced Wednesday.

The Windows PC version of Overwatch 2, like many of Blizzard’s PC games, is currently only available through Battle.net. But with Microsoft’s impending acquisition of Activision Blizzard and declining player engagement in the game, the maker of Diablo, Warcraft, and Overwatch appears to be changing its strategy.

Blizzard says it will bring “a selection” of its games to Steam, but did not specify which titles beyond Overwatch 2 will make the jump from Battle.net. (A few classic Blizzard games, including the original Diablo and the first two Warcraft games, are available through GOG.com.)
Of note:
Blizzard says that players on Steam will still need a Battle.net account connected to Overwatch 2 to play the game. The Steam version will support Steam achievements and friends lists, but Blizzard did not announce Steam Deck support. Overwatch 2 can now be wishlisted through Steam.

As for Blizzard’s future plans for other game releases on Steam, the company said it will be “sharing more about potential other games coming to the platform when the time is right.”
I'm wondering if this is related?
In a new filing from Microsoft detailing the company’s post-trial “findings” and “conclusions” after its recent victory in court against the Federal Trade Commission the Xbox maker revealed that Call of Duty leaving Steam was part of an Activision plan to grow Battle.net. But according to the docs this controversial move was a “resounding failure.”
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:37 pm Of note:
Blizzard says that players on Steam will still need a Battle.net account connected to Overwatch 2 to play the game. The Steam version will support Steam achievements and friends lists, but Blizzard did not announce Steam Deck support. Overwatch 2 can now be wishlisted through Steam.

I read elsewhere that, while you need the account connected, you don't have to launch battle.net.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)