(PS4/5) Ghost of Tsushima

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scraper

Re: (PS4/5) Ghost of Tsushima

Post by Scraper »

This game really does feel like a mixture of AC Odyssey and Witcher 3, but it's unique enough and so polished that it stands out on its own. Overall it is one of the best games of the year and will no doubt go down as a PS4 classic.
FTE
raydude

Post by raydude »

So I was watching K.C. Undercover with my kids on Disney+, and it was the episode with Zane, a nemsis of KC's parents.

I thought, he sounds kinda like Sensei Ishikawa. Turns out, that's cause he is!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I'm a little bit past the part where you get Ghost Stance and this game just continues to be entertaining and fun. I really don't get all the online hate for Jin's character. Yeah he's mostly reserved but I don't mind that. Sometimes it's nice not having an over the top type of main character. I see him as a serious, reserved and caring man who knows he has a lot of work to do and is no nonsense about it. There's no time for fun and games with Jin. Besides no one ever complains about similar games like Zelda, wherein Link has an almost complete lack of character, at least Jin has a little bit of personality.
FTE
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jin's taciturn personality makes sense due to his samurai training and his uncle teaching him to master his emotions. I thought he was fine for the game and it wasn't like he was a emotionless automaton in the game.

I remember being surprised of how quickly I mastered many of the available skills as Act 1 was drawing to a close. Then I met a fat Mongol with what I'd call a very nasty blunderbuss and starting in Act 2 the fighting ability of my enemies went up. I was pleasantly surprised when I got to learn the Ghost Stance which definitely made me more of a ninja murderbot in order to fill up my Ghost Stance meter.

Rather sad when I finished the game. I have a few more shrines to visit just to be a completionist and I revisit the game from time to time to stir up some trouble with any roving Mongols. Definitely one of the best games I've played and if there's a sequel it will be pre-ordered.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
RobinS87

Post by RobinS87 »

Who else doesn't have time to play this masterpiece of the gaming industry?
I haven’t spent a minute yet, although I have had a game since the very beginning of the game's release)
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Not me, I'm working away on it, at what I believe to be the final mission of Act 2. I am still enjoying it, but trying to reserve judgement until I finish it (and hoping NBA2K21 doesn't eat too much into my GoT time). I think it's a ton of fun, but it's also got some balance issues. I have maxed out all my skills already, with presumably another Act to go. And the game is a bit repetitive, even though what it's repeating is fun. I think they made the game a bit too long, but then I think that about nearly every game these days.

I think Jin is a good video game character. Nothing more, but nothing less. Not everyone can be Arthur or Geralt, and that's just fine. It's more a reminder of the heights reached by those games than it is an indictment on GoT. I would happily play a sequel.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Inverarity wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:21 pm Not everyone can be Arthur or Geralt, and that's just fine.
Arthur?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:25 pm
Inverarity wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:21 pm Not everyone can be Arthur or Geralt, and that's just fine.
Arthur?
Morgan, RDR2
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished this up last night and got the Platinum. There were two Tales of Tsushima I missed during my play through that I had to find and the hidden alters trophy really needed to be explained better. I kept seeing the alter posts all over the game but never knew how to actually activate them until I looked it up online.

Overall though the game is excellent and like I thought at the beginning it will go down as a PS4 classic.
FTE
raydude

Post by raydude »

Scraper wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:45 am I finished this up last night and got the Platinum. There were two Tales of Tsushima I missed during my play through that I had to find and the hidden alters trophy really needed to be explained better. I kept seeing the alter posts all over the game but never knew how to actually activate them until I looked it up online.

Overall though the game is excellent and like I thought at the beginning it will go down as a PS4 classic.
I finished this up just now. My choice (MAJOR ENDING SPOILER!):
Spoiler:
if Jin truly loved his uncle then he would give him his dying wish. For he knows that his uncle cannot change and that sparing him would cause him shame and a loss of honor. And even if his uncle lives and is able to continue Clan Shimura that honor would not be restored until the Ghost is killed. Thus I killed him.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

This is on sale for the Games of a Generation sale, $45. I think I'll pick it up.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Not very far into into it, but having fun and loving the art style.

New game + and the multiplayer Legends mode are coming next week.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Another couple hours, and I’m really starting to come around to this one. Now that I understand the gameplay loop (instead of feeling like I was just doing random “stuff”) it’s starting to shine.

I really like that the missions (so far) have been fairly quick, self-contained events. I’m not chasing 32 markers all over a map or assaulting a fortress with 273 guards. Instead, I get a bit of story, fight one or two battles, then close the chapter. It keeps me interested to keep exploring around the mission area for new goodies, rather than getting burned out on hour long events.

Still not entirely sure the best way to build my character though. I’ve gone mainly with the Deflection tree so far, which has proved very useful.
Your posts here inspired me to put this in the Christmas list and I fired it up last night, wishing you well in Pasadena!

Had fun in the hour or so I put in. I'm super tempted to do the Kurosawa filter and watch some movies too!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I just finished this one (thanks PS Plus) and had a great time with it. Put around 40 hours in - didn't platinum it because I wanted to move on to Tales of Arise.

Thoughts:

- The combat really saves this game from what could have been open world mediocrity. When I got good and was reflexively parrying and dodging without thinking, it was like the best combat from Assassin's Creed improved ten-fold. It felt soooo good, and the duels in particular were a treat.

- It's been criticized by some reviewers, but I really liked the wind guide mechanic. It was a clever way to hold the player's hand without inserting an ugly flashing blue waypoint into feudal Japan.

- Possibly one of the best fast travel systems I've seen in a game. Any location you discover, you can fast travel. Period. And it was nearly instantaneous on PS5. Really made bouncing around grabbing collectibles I missed a breeze.

- My biggest criticism of the game is that there is a lot of "travel filler" in quests. While I enjoyed the quest stories themselves overall, it seemed like nearly every quest involved following a chatty NPC on their painfully slow travel to get somewhere. If they do a sequel, I hope they scale back on that or at least give you an option to skip.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I loved the wind mechanic too. It made the game more immersive without a waypoint system, plus it was tied to the mythology as put forward in the game.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

now coming out for PC - may have to get a DualSense controller just for this (for the full experience)

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:lol: :lol:

Excited for more people to get the chance to experience this absolutely brilliant game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this is the Sony way - the PC port of the original game ties in with the announcement of the sequel on PS
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Amazing game. I may replay it again when it goes on sale if I can make it look even better than the PS5 version. This game made really good use of the ps5 controller if you have one.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it's one of the few titles that fully supports the PS5 DualSense on PC ! i mentioned in the other thread that i _might_ get one just for this game
disarm

Post by disarm »

hitbyambulance wrote:it's one of the few titles that fully supports the PS5 DualSense on PC ! i mentioned in the other thread that i _might_ get one just for this game
That's cool... didn't realize any PC versions support DualSense. I already have a PS5, but this might be a cool game to try on the new gaming PC I'm building this weekend.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

This is always the kind of thing I expect to see when I hear this mentioned. :lol:

Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
disarm

Post by disarm »

hitbyambulance wrote:it's one of the few titles that fully supports the PS5 DualSense on PC ! i mentioned in the other thread that i _might_ get one just for this game
I was looking into the PC release today and came across some disappointing news about DualSense support. Apparently, you have to play with the controller plugged in to get all the features...no adapting trigger's if you're connected wirelessly.

It's not the end of the world when sitting close to the PC/desk anyway, but I wonder what keeps all the controller's capabilities from being available over wireless.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

disarm wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:29 pm
I was looking into the PC release today and came across some disappointing news about DualSense support. Apparently, you have to play with the controller plugged in to get all the features...no adapting trigger's if you're connected wirelessly.

It's not the end of the world when sitting close to the PC/desk anyway, but I wonder what keeps all the controller's capabilities from being available over wireless.
that's weird, but it doesn't matter to me - i always play with the cord plugged in
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just to clarify, you don't need to have the PS controller plugged into the PS to get the full features of the controller. This problem with wireless must be PC specific.

It still makes no sense though.
disarm

Post by disarm »

GreenGoo wrote:Just to clarify, you don't need to have the PS controller plugged into the PS to get the full features of the controller. This problem with wireless must be PC specific.

It still makes no sense though.
Correct, it is entirely a PC thing, and I really don't understand why. Apparently there are some ways people have found to make all the features work over wireless, but it's not supported without a bit of trickery.

This screenshot is from the Ghosts of Tsushima PC website. I get the impression this is not specific to that game though...Image
Last edited by disarm on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The only thing I can think of is proprietary api, but even that could be sniffed out by someone with enough motivation. So that leaves encrypted proprietary api, but that seems insane.

I really have no idea how it can work from 1 computer but not from another, given that it's just data, presumably.