The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by Kasey Chang »

Some MAGA Qnuts are triggered by the sight of masks.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I just got back from getting my flu shot. Stood in line next to an older guy who was also there for his flu shot. He decided to let me know, unsolicited, that he also got the Moderna COVID vaccine shots, but probably wouldn't get the booster when it's available. Because 'it's a scam by the Democrats.'
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:07 pm Im still a little surprised that cashiers in stores....mostly the smaller tighter confined stores like Dollar General and such.... dont tend to wear a mask. I can barely stand to be in one 5 min with my mask tightly on. To stand in a store 8 hours waiting on countless people without a mask too. Suicide.
The average* education of a shopper/employee in that sort of store is likely lower than in other stores.

*I said average. Plenty of educated people shop there, too - but the ratio is likely markedly different than in other stores.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:38 pm I just got back from getting my flu shot. Stood in line next to an older guy who was also there for his flu shot. He decided to let me know, unsolicited, that he also got the Moderna COVID vaccine shots, but probably wouldn't get the booster when it's available. Because 'it's a scam by the Democrats.'
"So you have chosen death. Good for you. Can I have your stuff?"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He decided to let me know, unsolicited...
Is a province of the right every friggen where I go and am held hostage to accomplishing something before leaving. Keep your political small talk declarations of freedom to be an idiot while demanding other people serve you while you are in a commons pointed at someone else. [/Octavious Avatar becoming my spirit animal]
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:00 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:38 pm I just got back from getting my flu shot. Stood in line next to an older guy who was also there for his flu shot. He decided to let me know, unsolicited, that he also got the Moderna COVID vaccine shots, but probably wouldn't get the booster when it's available. Because 'it's a scam by the Democrats.'
It's kind of fascinating, though, insofar as it implies that the original COVID vaccine *wasn't* a Democratic scam, but that the boosters are.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:00 pm
The part(s) that got me were that he got the first two Moderna shots, and was there to get another vaccine with much lower demonstrated efficacy, but a third Moderna? GTFO with that nonsense.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:55 am But they may consider implementing a completely unnecessary policy at some point?
They're district administrators. They call that, 'Tuesday.'
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The South Carolina Supreme Court temporarily restrained the governor's mask prohibition in schools. Our district's response:
GREENVILLE COUNTY, S.C. —
Greenville County Schools will not implement at mask mandate at schools.

The decision was announced Friday morning.

"A federal court ruling released the afternoon of September 28 issued a temporary injunction that struck down Proviso 1.108, which prohibited South Carolina schools from mandating masks for students and employees. After consultation with district leadership and principals, Dr. W. Burke Royster announced today that GCS will not implement a mask mandate at this time, but IEP and 504 teams will continue to consider all reasonable accommodations to ensure students with disabilities receive a free and appropriate education.

"Over the past four weeks, COVID-19 spread within Greenville County Schools has declined by 40%. Additionally, according to the DHEC School Dashboard, GCS students are responsible for only 5% of COVID-positive school cases in South Carolina so far this year, even though the district represents about 10% of the total student population in the state. The administration believes this indicates that existing measures, including the exclusion of COVID-positive students, rigorous contact tracing and quarantining of close contacts, enhanced air exchange protocols, and other mitigation strategies, are positively affecting spread in district schools.

'Given the dramatic downward trend in GCS, our statistics compared to the state, the recognition that mask mandates are enormously burdensome on principals, teachers, and staff, and the knowledge that monitoring such a mandate takes our employees away from their primary instructional and support duties, the Greenville County Schools’ administration does not intend to implement a district-wide mask mandate at this time,' said Superintendent Dr. W. Burke Royster. 'Instead, we will utilize mandatory masking only in extreme circumstances and on a school-by-school basis.'

If the current downward COVID spread trend were to reverse district-wide, GCS, with the concurrence of the Board of Trustees, could implement a district-wide mask mandate. Even without a district-wide mandate, the administration could implement a mask requirement for individual schools or classrooms experiencing a surge in COVID-19 cases.
Sigh.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In what should come as a surprise to no one, Koch funding is behind some of the anti-masking rhetoric surrounding schools. This is is perfect example of how the problem is so much larger than what local officials (school, public health) are able to address. It's absolutely a coordinated attack happening at a national (international?) level, funded by dark money and unrelenting. Communities cannot fight against throngs of these lunatics all working from a common script provided to them from a coordinated, manipulative benefactor.
The document offers a rare glimpse into the inner workings of a well-financed conservative campaign to undermine regulations that health authorities say are necessary to contain the coronavirus. The frustration of many parents who want a greater say is deeply felt, school superintendents say. But their anger is also being fueled by organized activists whose influence is ordinarily veiled.

The letter was made available on Tuesday to paying members of the Independent Women’s Network, a project of the Independent Women’s Forum and Independent Women’s Voice that markets itself as a “members-only platform that is free from censorship and cancellation.” Both are nonprofits once touted by their board chairman and CEO, Heather Higgins, as part of a unique tool in the “Republican conservative arsenal” because, “Being branded as neutral but actually having the people who know, know that you’re actually conservative puts us in a unique position.”
Between this and the AFT hosting a forum yesterday where they invited respected researchers and public health experts to speak alongside anti-mask / anti-vaccination lunatics as part of round table event, I'm really losing faith. A national teacher's union giving a platform to anti-vax and anti-mask advocates is insane. Insane!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still not sure why GOP governors demand no masks in schools. Evil bastards seem to want to kill kids, teachers, and parents. TN has the highest number of closed schools due to Covid and the asshat Gov Lee keeps fighting for death.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:36 pm Im still not sure why GOP governors demand no masks in schools. Evil bastards seem to want to kill kids, teachers, and parents. TN has the highest number of closed schools due to Covid and the asshat Gov Lee keeps fighting for death.
It's come up before, but I am genuinely in the camp that believes when people see masks it's an undeniable reminder that things aren't ok. If people are trying to pretend that things are fine and they see you in a mask and get angry it's because you're reminding them there are still problems. Forcing kids to wear masks in schools? We'd have to admit that things are not ok in schools (or for kids) and we can't have that. I feel like there's a significant number of Americans that are actively trying to deny what's happening (and has been happening all summer) - they're trying to somehow use the force of sheer will to pretend COVID-19 is gone.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

...here we go

BREAKING: CA will require our kids to get the COVID-19 vaccine to come to school.

This will go into effect following full FDA approval.

Our schools already require vaccines for measles, mumps and more. Why? Because vaccines work.

This is about keeping our kids safe & healthy.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 pm In what should come as a surprise to no one, Koch funding is behind some of the anti-masking rhetoric surrounding schools. This is is perfect example of how the problem is so much larger than what local officials (school, public health) are able to address. It's absolutely a coordinated attack happening at a national (international?) level, funded by dark money and unrelenting. Communities cannot fight against throngs of these lunatics all working from a common script provided to them from a coordinated, manipulative benefactor.
The document offers a rare glimpse into the inner workings of a well-financed conservative campaign to undermine regulations that health authorities say are necessary to contain the coronavirus. The frustration of many parents who want a greater say is deeply felt, school superintendents say. But their anger is also being fueled by organized activists whose influence is ordinarily veiled.

The letter was made available on Tuesday to paying members of the Independent Women’s Network, a project of the Independent Women’s Forum and Independent Women’s Voice that markets itself as a “members-only platform that is free from censorship and cancellation.” Both are nonprofits once touted by their board chairman and CEO, Heather Higgins, as part of a unique tool in the “Republican conservative arsenal” because, “Being branded as neutral but actually having the people who know, know that you’re actually conservative puts us in a unique position.”
Between this and the AFT hosting a forum yesterday where they invited respected researchers and public health experts to speak alongside anti-mask / anti-vaccination lunatics as part of round table event, I'm really losing faith. A national teacher's union giving a platform to anti-vax and anti-mask advocates is insane. Insane!
Why am I not surprised it is financed by dicks. I mean cocks.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:07 pm ...here we go

BREAKING: CA will require our kids to get the COVID-19 vaccine to come to school.

This will go into effect following full FDA approval.

Our schools already require vaccines for measles, mumps and more. Why? Because vaccines work.

This is about keeping our kids safe & healthy.
More of this, please.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey welcome to America. I was wondering where the good ole US of A had gotten to. It sure isn't the one I grew up with.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 pm A national teacher's union giving a platform to anti-vax and anti-mask advocates is insane. Insane!
Teachers are people, too. With all that entails.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats next...firefighters refusing to use hoses?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 pm “Being branded as neutral but actually having the people who know, know that you’re actually conservative puts us in a unique position.”
Unique or ubiquitous? I don't think unique means what they think it means.
...here we go
Save the complaints
For a party conversation
The world is loaded
It's lit to pop and nobody is gonna stop
(Though I think it's the opening or move to climax in about 100 different JA songs)
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:34 pm Teachers are people, too. With all those entrails.
What?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 pm In what should come as a surprise to no one, Koch funding is behind some of the anti-masking rhetoric surrounding schools. This is is perfect example of how the problem is so much larger than what local officials (school, public health) are able to address. It's absolutely a coordinated attack happening at a national (international?) level, funded by dark money and unrelenting. Communities cannot fight against throngs of these lunatics all working from a common script provided to them from a coordinated, manipulative benefactor.

I don't understand what's in it for the funders.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:34 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:24 pm A national teacher's union giving a platform to anti-vax and anti-mask advocates is insane. Insane!
I get it, but to think that there are enough of them to justify the creation of a "both sides" round table discussion for a national organization? I mean, really.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:57 pm I don't understand what's in it for the funders.
There seems to be a general movement right now to do everything possible to push volunteers out of school boards and/or local boards of health - nationwide. One way to do this is to coordinate attacks on both by making sure you get lots and lots of people to show up to public meetings to yell and scream and make the volunteer board members feel threatened - either directly or indirectly. When they leave, the idea is to then get you own agents of chaos installed on these boards so they can then promote this garbage agenda from the top down.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:07 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:34 pm
I get it, but to think that there are enough of them to justify the creation of a "both sides" round table discussion for a national organization? I mean, really.
I would tend to attribute it to two things: (1) teacher's unions are heavily focused on keeping teachers from getting fired as part of their function, and a vax mandate necessarily implies firing a non-zero amount of teachers; and (2) teacher's unions (like many organizations) can get hijacked by their most extreme / activist members.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:49 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:34 pm Teachers are people, too. With all those entrails.
What?
Reading class just got a lot more interesting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:15 pm
What?
It took a lot of guts to post that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:19 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:15 pm
What?
It took a lot of guts to post that.
No worries, we're alvine.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This sign was in the door of my packie yesterday.

It's a small store that, AFAIK, only has three full-time employees. If one of them got sick, the other two had jolly well better be isolating until they get negative test results. Even then, their manpower is down by 1/3. None of them have been wearing masks (I always do when I go in).

It's a good reminder that the pandemic isn't over, even here in Mass. Most people in my town act as if it is. Activity is pretty normal and masks are scarce. We're one of the most-vaxxed states, so even though case numbers are creeping up, hospitals aren't getting slammed with covid patients (they ARE getting slammed with people who put off health care for fear of covid, plus staff shortages due to burnout). We require masks in schools. My town's high school is considering applying for an exemption, which is allowed if 80% of all students and staff are vaxxed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Starting to think this stuff is never going away. Its a whole new world. A different world.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:09 pm
Alefroth wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:57 pm I don't understand what's in it for the funders.
There seems to be a general movement right now to do everything possible to push volunteers out of school boards and/or local boards of health - nationwide. One way to do this is to coordinate attacks on both by making sure you get lots and lots of people to show up to public meetings to yell and scream and make the volunteer board members feel threatened - either directly or indirectly. When they leave, the idea is to then get you own agents of chaos installed on these boards so they can then promote this garbage agenda from the top down.
Disaster economics has become disaster politics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Reuters: U.S. SUPREME COURT JUSTICE SONIA SOTOMAYOR REFUSES TO BLOCK NEW YORK CITY'S VACCINE MANDATE FOR PUBLIC SCHOOL EMPLOYEES
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was just on Amazon. I wanted a hollow book I can stick some cash in. Simple enough. I search for 'book safe', but all the results are more elaborate than what I want (I really don't need it to lock and have to keep track of a key.) So I start to put in 'fake book.'

*type type*

"F"... "A"... "K"... "E"...

Guess what the second suggestion was?

"Fake mask."

I clicked. It led me to listings of all sorts of lace masks, extra-thin masks, and every other variant you could ask for.

Amazon. What. In. The. Fuck.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FYI, if any of you notice the similar post I made on Facebook, I altered the story a little. I don't need people near me knowing I'm buying a fake book to stash money in. It's just going to be laundry and/or similar money, but people are still stupid.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:51 am I was just on Amazon. I wanted a hollow book I can stick some cash in. Simple enough. I search for 'book safe', but all the results are more elaborate than what I want (I really don't need it to lock and have to keep track of a key.) So I start to put in 'fake book.'

*type type*

"F"... "A"... "K"... "E"...

Guess what the second suggestion was?

"Fake mask."

I clicked. It led me to listings of all sorts of lace masks, extra-thin masks, and every other variant you could ask for.

Amazon. What. In. The. Fuck.
I wonder if that's what you really saw....

I just went to do the same search, and as I typed:

F... A.... it suggested: Face Mask

I pushed through and typed K.... E.... Plants, Blood, Nose Rings, Nails, Money, Candles, etc. were all suggested...

If I keep going with M... it suggest Money and various versions of Money, and then just Machette with Blood and Mums...

never Mask.

If I go as far as Fake mas... it gives up and has no clue what I may be trying to type.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Amazon knows the zip code he's searching from and is giving him the most popular results for his area.

:o
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:11 pm That map
While I'd like to be able to correlate this to political elements, there's also going to be connections to any number of socio-economic elements as well. It also looks surprisingly like the so-called "diabetes belt", which not surprisingly also has connections to those same socio-economic elements.

But I suppose someone could make a compelling argument that a core contributing factor for all of the above is the state/local political environment and the type of public health programs they support (or don't, as the case may be).

Someone will likely earn a PhD explaining it all; it won't be me. :D
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

That I-80 line of counties is a wee bit interesting to me.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Note that I did click the 'fake masks' result and it did take me to fake masks.
Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:17 pm Amazon knows the zip code he's searching from and is giving him the most popular results for his area.
Yeah, it's not random. It also takes location, browsing history, shopping history, and product popularity into account at the very least, and I know it takes into account what other people who have looked at the same things have been interested in. Maybe I browsed something in the past that is also popular with people who buy fake masks. I have bought or browsed a number of military history books, for instance, and have bought a couple of books on small unit tactics. I was recently browsing tactical rifle slings as well. Their algorithm doesn't know that I was reading up on all the changes in tactics since my (limited) training is 20 years out of date to improve my skills for tactical shooter video games, nor does it know that the sling was for a VR accessory. It just knows that the stuff I looked at was the same stuff that a lot of far-right shoppers look at. So it shows me the things that those people like to buy.

YouTube/Google is probably very confused about who I am. Science documentaries one day, colored pencil art the next, tactical entry techniques the day after that, then videos of pigeons, then aviation lessons, then a history of the Solomon Islands, followed by more science discussion.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:28 pm Starting to think this stuff is never going away. Its a whole new world. A different world.
It is going to be like whack-a-mole unless the whole world coordinate which is impossible.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:17 pm Amazon knows the zip code he's searching from and is giving him the most popular results for his area.

:o
Not impossible. Search type-ahead is based on results Amazon had determined he may be interested in, and they often *do* take that from the browser (yes, your browser knows where you're searching from, geo-location and all that, even if your PC has no GPS. Your location can be inferred from your IP address down to ZIPcode, if not finer than that).
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds