Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: Capitol Riot Investigation Thread

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:38 pm
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:24 pm I see a lot of Trump 2024 flags and stickers. I don't know that the deplorables are ready to change and if they aren't then I don't see Trump's ego giving up even if he loses the primary he has yet to enter, so I don't see GOP switching horses. I'm not sure what can/will change that stance at this point.
If you can convince him he's protected from prosecution it wouldn't take a lot of money to buy off Trump.

If he thinks that becomming president is the only way to protect his decrepit empire, then he probably can't be dissuaded.
I'm not sure. He has an ego that doesn't concede defeat. You'd not only have to convince him he's protected but that he's touchable.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:38 pm Enlarge Image
LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:24 pm I see a lot of Trump 2024 flags and stickers. I don't know that the deplorables are ready to change and if they aren't then I don't see Trump's ego giving up even if he loses the primary he has yet to enter, so I don't see GOP switching horses. I'm not sure what can/will change that stance at this point.
If you can convince him he's protected from prosecution it wouldn't take a lot of money to buy off Trump.

If he thinks that becomming president is the only way to protect his decrepit empire, then he probably can't be dissuaded.
Yeah, this is the thing. DeSantis seems like exactly the kind of guy who would go to Trump and say "look, just stay home, let me run, I'll let you do whatever you want and protect you from prosecution, and you don't have to do any of the work", and mean it. You figure that's a pretty tempting offer for Trump.

Of course, Trump is not the most trusting guy, and he would have to trust DeSantis to fulfill his end of the bargain.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The logical side of me would want Trump to run again because Biden at least has a fairly decent chance at beating him. However, I'm not sure I could mentally handle four more years of Trump in the off chance he won.

DeSantis is going to be a nightmarish hellscape, but at least it will be a different brand of evil. I feel like if we're screwed either way, give me the guy that's evil but not evil AND crazy.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Unless things chipper up in the next two years I think pretty much anyone they run will beat Biden. Even Trump.. If Trump gets back into office we have no chance of recovering in my lifetime at least. Of course I don't think the other option will not do great harm, but not a revenge tour of doom. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I dunno. DeSantis is evil and competent. It's hard to prefer that over crazy. How much do you see him losing and how much do you see him succeeding in changing the way things are done to embed his power in self, in righteousness, and in corrupt party?

Of course, I hold the doom and gloom position that either way is choosing the form of our destroyer. I've felt for many years it's coming. This will be the presidency where the fight will change from it's coming to it's here either way.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wonder how much Trump could damage DeSantis in a primary battle, and if they'd both come out worse for it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Depends on how many laptops and emails he finds.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Well, Trump made his bones with his fearsome knock-out blows in the 2016 primary. But let's face it - in hindsight, his opposition was pretty pathetic. Freakin' Ted Cruz ended up lasting the longest, and he's literally a lizard person wearing a human skin-suit. Bush was the heir-apparent, and he made Pelosi look in-touch with the pulse of the nation. Rubio and Kasich lacked any kind of broad appeal.

2 years is a long, long time in politics, and there's plenty of time for something to capsize DeSantis. But right now, he's getting pumped on Fox News almost every night. He's the man who humbled Disney - the man who refused to let Fauci run his state - the man who is defying TRUMP. If Trump decides to go mano-a-mano with DeSantis in the primary, he's going to have a fight like he's never experienced on his hands.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's not like Trump is a good debater. His yelling over Biden actually lost him points in the last election. I have no idea how good Desantis is at debating.

In an ideal world neither would be running and we wouldn't be proping up an 80+ year old dude. It's ridiculous how that generation has held onto power until the very last second of life.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:41 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:38 pm Enlarge Image

Yeah, this is the thing. DeSantis seems like exactly the kind of guy who would go to Trump and say "look, just stay home, let me run, I'll let you do whatever you want and protect you from prosecution, and you don't have to do any of the work", and mean it. You figure that's a pretty tempting offer for Trump.

Of course, Trump is not the most trusting guy, and he would have to trust DeSantis to fulfill his end of the bargain.
Trump needs to be the center of attention. There is zero chance he'd go for that. It's either his mug up on the big screen or no one's.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:33 pm It's not like Trump is a good debater. His yelling over Biden actually lost him points in the last election. I have no idea how good Desantis is at debating.

In an ideal world neither would be running and we wouldn't be proping up an 80+ year old dude. It's ridiculous how that generation has held onto power until the very last second of life.
We're in a very 1980s Soviet Union posture in our leadership right now.

But yeah, I think DeSantis has a much better chance of winning in 2024 than Trump. Trump, as everyone is fond of saying, continually says the quiet parts out loud. But there's a reason why the GOP wants those to be the quiet parts - while that stuff channels conservative id and fires up the die hards, it turns off more voters than it brings in.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

DeSantis shares a lot of things with Trump, except for the idiocy part. That is a dangerous thing.
Covfefe!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I've mentioned it before here, but DeSantis has been absolutely peppering this state with flyers and mailers to the GOP/populists faithful for at least a year. I can only assume he's not JUST targeting SC for this...so probably has had a good ground game for some time, softening up the masses for his run (possibly against Trump).

It's going to be the hard-core crazy Trumpsters vs. GOP "moderates" who could never pull the lever for a D candidate no matter what (and they won't have any moderate R choices). The former have the crazy fervor and high turnout, but the latter probably (hopefully) has the numbers.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:51 pmWe're in a very 1980s Soviet Union posture in our leadership right now.
A good way to put it and I'd add in that we 1980s Soviet level stability in certain functions beyond the leaders. DOJ top of mind is in a bad, bad place. We deserve a public reckoning of the Trump era overreach and corruption. Garland has hidden it from us. It is one reason why I don't trust him.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:43 pm The logical side of me would want Trump to run again because Biden at least has a fairly decent chance at beating him. However, I'm not sure I could mentally handle four more years of Trump in the off chance he won.

DeSantis is going to be a nightmarish hellscape, but at least it will be a different brand of evil. I feel like if we're screwed either way, give me the guy that's evil but not evil AND crazy.
No logical side of anyone should want Trump to run again. Desantis is a deplorable scumbag. But he's not Trump.

I'll say it again: Trump is a unique danger to this country. If he runs in 2024 and is elected (or successfully claims he was elected), all of malchior's doomsaying about this country being dead and buried. The country cannot survive a known traitor who attacked it being elected President. That cannot happen.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I would like to subscribe to Kurth's newsletter.

Yes, Trump is the candidate the Democrats are most likely to defeat in 2024. Heck, the way things are going, Trump is quite possibly the only candidate that could lose in 2024. Doesn't matter. We'll survive President DeSantis. (or Pence, or Abbott, or *shudder* even Cruz) They'll be bad, but all indications are that they will be regular Republican President bad. Trump won't be.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Little Raven wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:30 pm I would like to subscribe to Kurth's newsletter.

Yes, Trump is the candidate the Democrats are most likely to defeat in 2024. Heck, the way things are going, Trump is quite possibly the only candidate that could lose in 2024. Doesn't matter. We'll survive President DeSantis. (or Pence, or Abbott, or *shudder* even Cruz) They'll be bad, but all indications are that they will be regular Republican President bad. Trump won't be.
I mostly agree, but I don't think that DeSantis would be regular Republican president bad (or, alternatively, I'm not sure that "Regular Republican President" will be what it used to be). DeSantis is leading anti-vaccination efforts *and* he's using Florida state power to punish political opponents in a very Trumpian / authoritarian way. I think he'd be 90% of what Trump was as president (but would do a better job of polishing it).
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:01 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:43 pm The logical side of me would want Trump to run again because Biden at least has a fairly decent chance at beating him. However, I'm not sure I could mentally handle four more years of Trump in the off chance he won.

No logical side of anyone should want Trump to run again. Desantis is a deplorable scumbag. But he's not Trump.

I'll say it again: Trump is a unique danger to this country. If he runs in 2024 and is elected (or successfully claims he was elected), all of malchior's doomsaying about this country being dead and buried. The country cannot survive a known traitor who attacked it being elected President. That cannot happen.
Honest question though. What if the only way he (DeSantis) ends up being elected is by way of election deniers that were since put in place, so as to usher in the next Republican even if they do not actually win their State.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:59 pm
Little Raven wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:30 pm I would like to subscribe to Kurth's newsletter.

I mostly agree, but I don't think that DeSantis would be regular Republican president bad (or, alternatively, I'm not sure that "Regular Republican President" will be what it used to be). DeSantis is leading anti-vaccination efforts *and* he's using Florida state power to punish political opponents in a very Trumpian / authoritarian way. I think he'd be 90% of what Trump was as president (but would do a better job of polishing it).
and probably last for 8 more years... assuming that's still the limit, of course.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The presidency is forever changed and we won't be fortunate enough to experience regular Republican President bad ever again. How do we go back to "regular" bad with the supreme court what it is now and the legislatures what they are?

We may not see Trump Bad but we will certainly see unique and interesting levels of levels of bad with the new playbook.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Little Raven wrote:I would like to subscribe to Kurth's newsletter.

I’ve lived through all manner of Republican governors here in FL. All were regular Republican bad.

DeSantis is something else.

He’s either just as, or more, dangerous than Trump. Trump and his supporters were incompetent. DeSantis isn’t.
malchior

Post by malchior »

In the end, it isn't only about Trump or DeSantis. It is about the corrupt and vile henchmen who'll be unrestrained from building out whatever horror show they want in a 2024 GOP run administration. That includes the impact of a radical right wing court stopping all progress, rolling back the clock where they can, and waving by abuses they approve of.

So while Trump is a unique danger, all national level Republicans are extremely dangerous now. Maybe different dangerous from Trump. Maybe not.

In any case, i still gauge that people still don't seem properly calibrated to the extreme danger we face. Especially after everything we have seen since the Trump 2nd impeachment.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:59 pm

I would like to subscribe to El Guapo’s newsletter.

I think you nailed it. There is no “regular republican president” any more. Those days are gone. And it’s because Trump drew out the worst of us, and then grew their ranks until they consumed the majority of the group. “Moderate” no longer exists in their dictionary…at least in terms of electable politicians in the GOP. I fear the only way we come out of this is for any remaining sane conservatives to just burn the GOP to the ground and start over.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The number of people writing letters asking for leniency is absurd. I hope he's given the maximum sentence and every minute is hell.

THREAD: Capitol riot defendant David Ticas was accused of bringing his 16 y/o daughter with him into Capitol on Jan 6.... and mocking/harassing police

Ticas is a former Marine

He's written a letter to judge seeking leniency at sentencing. It's quite something...
He brought his 16 year old daughter and is complaining about tear gas.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

That letter is really something.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

And he is only looking at 90 days. 90 days! He brought his daughter along with him to a violent riot at the Capitol. This system is broken. People get a whole lot more prison time for a whole lot less.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

malchior wrote:And he is only looking at 90 days. 90 days! He brought his daughter along with him to a violent riot at the Capitol. This system is broken. People get a whole lot more prison time for a whole lot less.
If only they could prove he had a joint on him at the time. Then he would be in real trouble.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

msteelers wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:31 am
malchior wrote:And he is only looking at 90 days. 90 days! He brought his daughter along with him to a violent riot at the Capitol. This system is broken. People get a whole lot more prison time for a whole lot less.
If only they could prove he had a joint on him at the time. Then he would be in real trouble.
Or if he had a genetic tan.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Another one:
A Pennsylvania woman who allegedly used a bullhorn to share detailed plans of the interior of the U.S. Capitol building on Jan. 6 will not have her pretrial conditions loosened, a federal judge has ruled.

Rachel Powell, 42, had filed a motion asking Senior U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth to relax the conditions of her pretrial release, which include home detention and location monitoring by way of a GPS ankle bracelet.

Since her arrest in February 2021, she has been on home detention, which has allowed her to work 40 hours a week. At a hearing Thursday, Powell argued that her release conditions were far too restrictive, claiming that she was unable to do her job and care for her family.

Powell, who said she works in publishing, told Lamberth that her job requires a flexible schedule and that she has had to leave business events early in order to comply with her nightly curfew.

“It’s just impossible to do my job well,” Powell said.

Powell also said that home detention prevents her from taking her young children, who she said have always been homeschooled, on field trips and other extracurricular activities.

“It’s really detrimental to them and their education with me not being able to take them to their activities,” Powell said, adding that a friend had to take her kids shopping for winter clothing because she wasn’t allowed to leave her home.
She should be slowly rotting in a jail cell and she's complaining that house arrest is too much. F all these people.
The judge reminded Powell that her situation was temporary.

“These are serious felonies,” Lamberth said. “You’re not going to be sitting around your apartment much longer; you’re going to be sitting in a jail cell if you’re convicted.”
Good.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's amazing that these people who are almost 'lock her up' types chaff at consequences for their actual crimes. I agree with 'good' in the sense she absolutely needs to be locked the fuck up.

This is the type of conduct that first pretty much tells us why they are in trouble in the first place, how fucking privileged they feel, and why we need to throw the book at them (within the lines). We have to show people this type of behavior is unacceptable in a modern democracy.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:39 amin a modern democracy.
Where can we get one of those?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel like the next hearing is going to be interesting

Again: the Oath Keepers intended to murder multiple elected officials around America, *starting* on January 6, 2021 - but planning to keep killing until Trump could retain power. Death list. Elected officials - and their family members.
CNN article here
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

:shock:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Idle chit chat. Boys will be boys. Hearsay.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah.
That’s all just locker-room talk.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote:The number of people writing letters asking for leniency is absurd. I hope he's given the maximum sentence and every minute is hell.

THREAD: Capitol riot defendant David Ticas was accused of bringing his 16 y/o daughter with him into Capitol on Jan 6.... and mocking/harassing police

Ticas is a former Marine

He's written a letter to judge seeking leniency at sentencing. It's quite something...
He brought his 16 year old daughter and is complaining about tear gas.
These people have never faced consequences for their actions in their lives it appears.

Rather like Trump and his enablers.

They *think* they should be treated similarly, but don't realize that isn't the plan for the likes of them.

TBH, it's both poetic and tragic, yet most of the penalties are already very lenient.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably not the quote you want from your lawyer.

Wow — Steve Bannon’s lawyer David Schoen to Judge Nichols: “What’s the point of going to trial if we don’t have any defences”
Related article:
A federal judge on Monday denied a request by Steve Bannon for his contempt-of-Congress trial to be delayed from its July 18 start date and severely limited the defenses that the former Donald Trump adviser could put forward at the trial.

The rulings from US District Judge Carl Nichols came after court filings overnight that showed that the FBI interviewed Trump's attorney two weeks ago. The disclosure from federal prosecutors in the filings could significantly shape the Justice Department's sprawling investigation into the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot.

In a Monday court filing, federal prosecutors called Bannon's willingness to now testify before the House select committee a "last-minute" effort that doesn't change the case against him, pointing out that he has not produced subpoenaed records.
"The Defendant's last-minute efforts to testify almost nine months after his default — he has still made no effort to produce records — are irrelevant to whether he willfully refused to comply in October 2021 with the Select Committee's subpoena," prosecutors wrote.

"The criminal contempt statute is not intended to procure compliance; it is intended to punish past noncompliance," prosecutors said.
malchior

Post by malchior »

That is some Liar, Liar stuff there.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

[/quote]]Team "Normal" is anything but... running damage control (if that's even possible) for Herschel Walker:
Just as they did with former President Trump, instead of letting voters see Walker for who he really is, the professional Republican class is devoting itself to coddling the candidate and covering up for him. And when it gets too icky, they dish quotes to their favorite reporters to make themselves feel better about their life choices. These people aren’t stupid enough to believe that their candidates are fit for office; they’re just trying to trick voters into being that dumb.

The National Republican Senatorial Committee recently deployed their A-team to Georgia on a “rescue mission” to save Walker from himself. This came after a team of senators banded together to personally tutor Walker on policy issues. All of whom seem to be operating under the illusion that Walker, with the right people around him and proper guard rails in place, can be steered in the right direction.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:35 pm
]Team "Normal" is anything but... runni ... el Walker:
Just as they did with former President Trump, instead of letting voters see Walker for who he really is, the professional Republican class is devoting itself to coddling the candidate and covering up for him. And when it gets too icky, they dish quotes to their favorite reporters to make themselves feel better about their life choices. These people aren’t stupid enough to believe that their candidates are fit for office; they’re just trying to trick voters into being that dumb.

The National Republican Senatorial Committee recently deployed their A-team to Georgia on a “rescue mission” to save Walker from himself. This came after a team of senators banded together to personally tutor Walker on policy issues. All of whom seem to be operating under the illusion that Walker, with the right people around him and proper guard rails in place, can be steered in the right direction.
[/quote]

Uh, what does this have to do with investigations? Wrong thread?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton