Lorini

Re: MLB 2021 Regular Season

Post by Lorini »

Our catcher can hit as well, did you notice naednek?? :D
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Went to bed when it was 6 to 2... had some family issues and worried it was going to be a long night.
Wtf

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

With our true starters going, we have a shot of a 3-1 over the Giants. Looking forward to both games!
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Orioles went into the bottom of the ninth today winning. They blew it again. I get the idea of a rebuild (and there is some promising talent in the minors). But watching the big league club these days is excruciating. :grund:
naednek

Post by naednek »

Jansen good job man :)

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jansen should have called in sick. He had absolutely nothing and spoiled the gem that Urias pitched.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Roberts, the Dodger manager is upset that the fans booed Jansen off the field. But they have to accept that. Jansen blew a save (second time in four days, both meaning that the Dodgers weren't in first place) in a critical game against a hated rival where Urias had pitched his butt off. Jansen deserved to get booed. Yes we know he's a lifer Dodger and his heart is in the right place and all that but he came out and gave up three runs, inexcusable. And it's not like he's not being paid millions not to do exactly what he did.

Sorry, I understand he's human and no he shouldn't be tossed off the team or anything ridiculous like that but I can feel the fans frustration.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Memo to Roberts: Booing is part of the game. GTFU.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Interesting look at the impact of the "sticky stuff" ban one month in from The Ringer. Quick summary is that it almost certainly has had some impact, but the impact has been pretty small. This was not the magic trick that was going to fix broken offense in baseball. IMO it was worth trying, though, and I'm glad they did it.

I did find this section toward the end of the article interesting:
In light of the above, allow me to present a unified theory of baseball rule-breaking: Cheating is overrated. Not because guilt prevents cheaters from enjoying their ill-gotten gains, but because those gains are generally smaller than the cheaters (and the cheated) believe.

Let’s review some recent scandals, all of which have been enabled by conditions MLB helped create. Study after study (after study after study) has concluded that the Astros probably didn’t derive any overall benefit from their sign-stealing scheme—and the Astros’ sign-stealing solution was more sophisticated than the untold number of lower-tech sign-stealing approaches that preceded (or overlapped with) Houston’s. The Braves broke international signing rules to add teenaged talent to their organization, and none of the prospects they signed (and subsequently lost) look like standouts today. (According to FanGraphs lead prospect analyst Eric Longenhagen, there are “no stars or even everyday-type players” in the group.) Even steroids, which certainly benefited some players, likely had little to no effect on others. PEDs probably didn’t turn many (or any) players from scrubs into stars, and other factors may have been just as responsible (if not more so) for the offensive inflation of the late 1990s and early 2000s.
(There are lots of links in the original text there to source material for the author's claims.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Dodgers got a way with a strike in the 9th inning that was clearly by a mile a ball. Giants paid them back by not getting called for a check swing that was clearly a full on swing. This would have ended the game, but it ended up scoring two runs by the next batter. KARMA

Now we just need to last 3 more outs!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Enlarge Image

WOOT! 3 Game lead!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Cleveland Indians are changing their name to Cleveland Guardians, narrated by Tom Hanks and soundtracked by the Black Keys.
naednek

Post by naednek »

ImLawBoy wrote:

Cleveland Indians are changing their name to Cleveland Guardians, narrated by Tom Hanks and soundtracked by the Black Keys.
The music is so loud you can barely hear hanks

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Maybe, but the music does kick ass.

Apparently the art deco statues (shown in the video) on the bridge leading into Cleveland are known as the "Guardians of Transportation". This was the inspiration for the name, which helps me to put it into context.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Not going to lie. I hate the name, but I also hate change so that's not surprising.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I did not know that Tom Hanks had a Cleveland connection (and is apparently a big Indians / Guardians fan).

They should've also included all the clips of Cleveland stars playing elsewhere after ownership declined to pay them.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I assume keeping "dians" was a top priority.

"A city of fire and water..." And water on fire.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Wow. Cleveland Guardians. Good on them.

In other news, why does the MLB keep employing blind umpires??? I'd like to know the answer to that question.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The only one I really have an issue with is Angel Hernandez. He has no business being an umpire. They should just have someone watching the pitchtrax and calling the strikes from there. It isn't rocket science.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:17 am Wow. Cleveland Guardians. Good on them.

In other news, why does the MLB keep employing blind umpires??? I'd like to know the answer to that question.
it evened out with that horrible "strike" call
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:26 am The only one I really have an issue with is Angel Hernandez. He has no business being an umpire. They should just have someone watching the pitchtrax and calling the strikes from there. It isn't rocket science.
The fact that Angel Hernandez is still an MLB umpire suggests significant deficiencies with their overall umpire process / structure. If he can't be fired, can any MLB umpire ever be fired?
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:22 pm

Didn't see that. Was it a strikeout? It would have also helped had we had a second baseman who cared about catching the ball but apparently not.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:44 pm
Octavious wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:26 am The only one I really have an issue with is Angel Hernandez. He has no business being an umpire. They should just have someone watching the pitchtrax and calling the strikes from there. It isn't rocket science.
The fact that Angel Hernandez is still an MLB umpire suggests significant deficiencies with their overall umpire process / structure. If he can't be fired, can any MLB umpire ever be fired?
That's what I'm impressed by with the NBA. Every game that's close at the end, they go over to see if the calls were correct and if not they say so. They've had a good amount of turnover in the ref ranks, which to me speaks of them caring how their game is called, unlike MLB who wants to say 'mistakes will happen' as if making them is just fine with the league.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:36 am I did not know that Tom Hanks had a Cleveland connection (and is apparently a big Indians / Guardians fan).

They should've also included all the clips of Cleveland stars playing elsewhere after ownership declined to pay them.
What's next, the Atlanta Knaves?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I like Guardians. Gives them a lot of options for mascots too.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

naednek wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:19 am The music is so loud you can barely hear hanks
They must have re-uploaded it because I didn't have any trouble at all hearing him.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
naednek

Post by naednek »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:59 pm
naednek wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:19 am The music is so loud you can barely hear hanks
They must have re-uploaded it because I didn't have any trouble at all hearing him.
So it sounds much better on the PC, but on my S10+ his voice is hiding behind the music when it starts to kick in.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fun fact: There is a men's roller derby team that has long being called the Cleveland Guardians. They own www.clevelandguardians.com. It is down right now due to a MLB based DDOS. :pop:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:05 pm

Didn't see that. Was it a strikeout? It would have also helped had we had a second baseman who cared about catching the ball but apparently not.
AFAIK horrible strike was strike 1, then the check swing. if this is the same game. I didn't watch, was just pleasantly surprised when I woke up today.

Also: Dodgers 2nd Basemen a bit famous (cough) Steve Sax! ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm

AFAIK horrible strike was strike 1, then the check swing. if this is the same game. I didn't watch, was just pleasantly surprised when I woke up today.

No. I'm trying to find the play, because I can't remember who the batter was. But count was 2-0 and that the next pitch was so outside it was obvious it was a ball. I mean even the dodgers knew they got away with it. Instead it was called a strike. This isn't me being a fanboy, it was so far outside the plate. So that would have made it 3-0. If I recall correctly, and this is why I want to see the video, the player ended up getting out. I believe the next batter had the check swing that should have been called an out.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:14 am

For posterity: As of this post their Twitter handle is still Cleveland Indians (@indians). Can they change that or need a new account?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:59 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:28 pm

No. I'm trying to find the play, because I can't remember who the batter was. But count was 2-0 and that the next pitch was so outside it was obvious it was a ball. I mean even the dodgers knew they got away with it. Instead it was called a strike. This isn't me being a fanboy, it was so far outside the plate. So that would have made it 3-0. If I recall correctly, and this is why I want to see the video, the player ended up getting out. I believe the next batter had the check swing that should have been called an out.

Ok I rewatched the 9th inning (or zipped to the play in hand)

It's 3-2 dodgers top of the 9th. Bases are loaded, and Ruff is up. First two pitches were balls. The 3rd pitch was the call in question. I have youtube TV not sure how I can capture the video that shows the play but it was clearly a ball.

So this is where my memory faded. Partly because it was a long at bat. Ruff fought off a bunch of pitches and ended up doing the "check swing" and the umpire again failed which caused the tying run on base to score. The rest is history.

Who knows if Ruff would have walked if it was 3-0 but the odds got harder when it was 3-1. Either way both plays the umpires failed big time.

I'm ok with it. IT was great seeing Muncy so upset and Roberts being ejected two times in a row. One thing is for sure, next week will be fun :)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:09 pm For posterity: As of this post their Twitter handle is still Cleveland Indians (@indians). Can they change that or need a new account?
I'm guessing they can change it, but I don't really know. The name change isn't effective until next season, though, so they've got some time to figure it out.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My first question is what Google filled in for me when I typed Tom H...

Google totally has me figured out.

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment ... video.html
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:19 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:09 pm For posterity: As of this post their Twitter handle is still Cleveland Indians (@indians). Can they change that or need a new account?
I'm guessing they can change it, but I don't really know. The name change isn't effective until next season, though, so they've got some time to figure it out.
One wonders is Disney/Star Lord own @guardians ;)

One has definitely not checked ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:43 pm

Trademarks are only valid in their specific area of trade. Now of course Disney may decide that all of the world and all of the things are their specific area of trade, but MLB has deep pockets as well and clearly would fight that.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:22 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:43 pm

Trademarks are only valid in their specific area of trade. Now of course Disney may decide that all of the world and all of the things are their specific area of trade, but MLB has deep pockets as well and clearly would fight that.
I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with the term for baseball use....getting unambiguous social media accounts could be a different story though.
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:37 am I assume keeping "dians" was a top priority.

"A city of fire and water..." And water on fire.
Yeah, I lost it when I heard that fire and water quote.

...oh, and my wife sent me this picture when she read about the name:
Conform or be cast out!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Regarding trademarks, you can be sure that the Cleveland baseball team did a thorough trademark search and analysis prior to announcing this. If they didn't, their IP counsel is going to be seeking new employment.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did anyone check with Space Force?

It's almost as if people are the problem.