Post by naednek »

Bryant's first hit is a HR. Fits in nicely

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Re: MLB 2021 Regular Season

Post by Octavious »

Lorini wrote:
Octavious wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:14 pm Mets now have a -7 run run differential. It's so annoying as a whole they "should" have a good offense, but it just doesn't click like ever. Oh well can't expect them to fix 30+ years of crappy ownership in one year. Image
If you follow the Dodgers you realize that 'run differential' must be the dumbest stat after pitcher wins. They have this really large run differential but are the worst in the MLB in one run games and extra innings games. Go figure.
Well they are second to last in runs scored in all of MLB. It's really amazing how bad they are at scoring runs. Without deGromm I don't see how they hold onto the lead until the end of the season. Unless of course they all of a sudden remember how to hit.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ugh, rough baseball weekend. The Yankees get two all stars at the trade deadline while the Sox get an injured one, and then the Yankees sweep the Marlins (led by Rizzo) and the Sox get swept by the Rays and drop out of first. Oh well.
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yankees are still 7 games out. They didn't really do enough to catch up. But of course it's the Yankees so they probably will. ;)
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

naednek wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:31 pm Bryant's first hit is a HR. Fits in nicely

The "Big 3" ex-Cubs (Rizzo, Baez, then Bryant) all homered in their first games with their new teams.

While I resigned myself some time ago to the rebuild that was coming, I can't help but feel underwhelmed at what the Cubs got in return compared to the names and talent they gave up when they were buyers over the last 5 or 6 years.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:32 am Yankees are still 7 games out. They didn't really do enough to catch up. But of course it's the Yankees so they probably will. ;)
Yeah, I know. Getting swept by the Rays is a bigger problem. And while the Yankees didn't give up a treasure trove of talent, it does seem like they gave up a solid "middle class" group of players that will tap their depth, so there's a plausible scenario where the Yankees gave up useful assets in order to finish just out of the playoffs.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:17 am
Octavious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:32 am Yankees are still 7 games out. They didn't really do enough to catch up. But of course it's the Yankees so they probably will. ;)
Yeah, I know. Getting swept by the Rays is a bigger problem. And while the Yankees didn't give up a treasure trove of talent, it does seem like they gave up a solid "middle class" group of players that will tap their depth, so there's a plausible scenario where the Yankees gave up useful assets in order to finish just out of the playoffs.
Rizzo seems like a great fit for the Yankees. Someone apparently took the time to look at all of his fly balls hit over 300 feet this year and determined that he would have had 26 (I think) home runs so far instead of the 15 (or so) he had at the trade had he been playing his home games at Yankee Stadium with its short porch in right.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:23 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:17 am
Rizzo seems like a great fit for the Yankees. Someone apparently took the time to look at all of his fly balls hit over 300 feet this year and determined that he would have had 26 (I think) home runs so far instead of the 15 (or so) he had at the trade had he been playing his home games at Yankee Stadium with its short porch in right.
You know what stadium also has a short right field? Fenway Park.

Rizzo hurts in particular because all the buzz had been about him going to the Red Sox. But hey, we'll get Schwarber at some point in the future.
Black Lives Matter.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

And as a report from the basement of the AL East -

The Orioles are winning every once in awhile, which is nice. Like tonight - they had more HRs than the Yankees had hits. The NY fans were booing their newly acquired starting pitcher, and chanting MVP for the cat that ran onto the field. Fun. :D
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

See El Guapo? You're way better off with Verdugo than the Dodgers are with Betts.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/red-so ... -sox-trade

Perhaps it was the correct decision after all.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Another exciting Mets game where they have put up a whopping 1 run in 8 innings. It's like they are facing Nolan Ryan every game. It's unwatchable.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

And they dropped 3-4 games to the Marlins. They will be playing a 3 game series with the Phillies. They don't win that series they aren't in first anymore. Still hard to be upset. They are trying to piece a real team together and it will take a few years.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:15 pm Another exciting Mets game where they have put up a whopping 1 run in 8 innings. It's like they are facing Nolan Ryan every game. It's unwatchable.
Ryan's career ERA was 3.19. His best year was 1.69 ('81).

With the Mets, it was never better than 3.09.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

That's pretty good... Baez struck out five times TODAY. He's a good player but man they need contact hitters asap...

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:34 pm That's pretty good... Baez struck out five times TODAY. He's a good player but man they need contact hitters asap...
Seems you got Joan instead of Javy. You really need to pay attention to detail when making a trade.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Octavious wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:34 pm That's pretty good... Baez struck out five times TODAY. He's a good player but man they need contact hitters asap...
He thrives when winning. If the team is in a skid, he's not the same.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's just mind blowing to me how bad their offense is. Pretty much every single player is severely underperforming. Some of that might have to do with injuries, but dear god. If anyone gets up 2 runs on them it's a massive lead. :lol:

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Maybe someone needs to tell Muncy how to squeeze the glove.

Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

As soon as they get to extra innings the Dodgers are done. Basically it's the same problem they have with close games. They don't tend to win those games. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get out of the wild card game this year.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:As soon as they get to extra innings the Dodgers are done. Basically it's the same problem they have with close games. They don't tend to win those games. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get out of the wild card game this year.
That be a shame

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:42 am
Lorini wrote:As soon as they get to extra innings the Dodgers are done. Basically it's the same problem they have with close games. They don't tend to win those games. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get out of the wild card game this year.
That be a shame

The other thing is that they lose games on the same day that the Giants lose games. That's been true since the beginning of July. It's like they don't want to get closer. The team is very irritating right now.

You'll be fine without us :).
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh look can't hit again today. Seriously the worst hitting team I've ever seen.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

JFC. I'm just going to take the rest of August off from the Red Sox.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'll join you on the sidelines. Mets are absolutely pathetic.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:34 pm JFC. I'm just going to take the rest of August off from the Red Sox.

You won today?

I guess not. Wow, Ryu was terrible today and I turned the game off when the score was 7-2 Sox.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:36 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:34 pm JFC. I'm just going to take the rest of August off from the Red Sox.

You won today?

I guess not. Wow, Ryu was terrible today and I turned the game off when the score was 7-2 Sox.
We should have won. But yeah, blew a 7-2 lead by giving up 5 runs in the 7th and 8th. Pathetic. But hey, at least we got an injured catcher at the deadline.
Black Lives Matter.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I feel your pain. Orioles took a lead into the 7th, then walked four guys, gave up the lead, then gave up a grand slam for good measure. I mean, I know the rebuilding team is designed to not win, but wow, it sucks to watch.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Baroquen wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:39 am I feel your pain. Orioles took a lead into the 7th, then walked four guys, gave up the lead, then gave up a grand slam for good measure. I mean, I know the rebuilding team is designed to not win, but wow, it sucks to watch.
Thanks for doing that to the Rays, BTW. :(
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kimbrel returned to Wrigley with the White Sox on Friday, entering in the 8th with a 4-1 lead. He served up a 3 run bomb to tie it. Thankfully the Sox won in extras. But typical cross-town stuff.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have long suspected Kimbrel was washed, and didn't mind when the Padres moved off him.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:16 pm I have long suspected Kimbrel was washed, and didn't mind when the Padres moved off him.
I was not unhappy when he left the Red Sox. To be sure he was good enough to win in 2018 with the Red Sox, but I absolutely never felt good when he was coming in.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:16 pm I have long suspected Kimbrel was washed, and didn't mind when the Padres moved off him.
Not at all washed this year. 2.2 bWAR, 1.12 ERA.
Hodor.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:57 pm
It is very hard when a closer has blown a save not to think of them as bad, but as many people remind Dodger fans, Kenley Jansen is one of the best closers in the game overall, and from a 1.12 ERA, seems as if Kimbrel is as well.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lorini wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:47 pm
It is very hard when a closer has blown a save not to think of them as bad, but as many people remind Dodger fans, Kenley Jansen is one of the best closers in the game overall, and from a 1.12 ERA, seems as if Kimbrel is as well.
My memory of Kimbrel from 2018 is that he constantly gave up walks and let on tons of baserunners, but *usually* stranded them. So like, he did his job usually, but I never felt good while he was doing it, or like he was really in control.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:49 pm
My memory of Kimbrel from 2018 is that he constantly gave up walks and let on tons of baserunners, but *usually* stranded them. So like, he did his job usually, but I never felt good while he was doing it, or like he was really in control.
I think we as fans have to focus more on the outcome. Jansen blew 3 saves in 4 tries and has certainly had his ups and downs. So when he puts people on base, we get nervous. Not sure if our nervousness is justified but after watching him blow critical games to the Giants, we are nervous when he comes to the mound.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Why is baseball so dumb?

My opinion of course :)
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:49 pm
I think we as fans have to focus more on the outcome. Jansen blew 3 saves in 4 tries and has certainly had his ups and downs. So when he puts people on base, we get nervous. Not sure if our nervousness is justified but after watching him blow critical games to the Giants, we are nervous when he comes to the mound.
He also drips in sweat and I'm sure thats making him not have a good grip on the ball. Either way. We love Jansen

malchior

Post by malchior »

Talk about baserunning. Harper even nailed the throw off a one hop. And that finish....wow.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

You take the good
You take the bad
You take them both
And then you have
Javy Baez, Javy Baez

Simultaneously the most fun and frustrating player in baseball.
El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:15 am But hey, at least we got an injured catcher at the deadline.
Left fielder/DH. Schwarbs doesn't catch much these days.
Kimbrel is having an absolutely dominant year. Before that home run his ERA was something like 0.59. He struggled in his first two years with the Cubs, but was the best reliever out there at the trade deadline.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hey, anyone interested in All Star closer Matt Barnes?
Black Lives Matter.