Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: MLB 2021 Regular Season

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lorini wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:42 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:29 am
Lorini wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am This SI story was published the same day as the horrific hit in the helmet. There's an epidemic of players being hit by pitches, worse than there's ever been. The main reasons according to the article is the emphasis on velocity over command and elbow guards worn by players who think they are then invincible against getting hit by a pitch and therefore don't move out of the way.

Whatever it is, it needs to stop.
I'm not sure how you remedy any of the things mentioned in the article other than banning armor, and it seems like a bad idea to leave players unprotected.

I've bitched about armor at least since Craig Biggio made a career out of the HBP and Bonds protected the plate with it. But you can't just take it away now.
They didn't say to ban it, they said to not allow a free base if you wore it.
I didn't mean the the article proposed banning armor, just that that is the only feasible remedy I can think of.

They proposed awarding a ball but not a base if you got hit on the armor itself. That seems difficult to enforce and counter to the seemingly sacred goal of speeding up games, since it would most likely require a lot of replays.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'd be fine with them calling it a ball instead of a HBP, but then it's a judgement call and they even suck at those on replays. If Angel was umping that game yesterday he would have called that pitch a strike.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:57 pm
Lorini wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:42 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:29 am
Lorini wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am This SI story was published the same day as the horrific hit in the helmet. There's an epidemic of players being hit by pitches, worse than there's ever been. The main reasons according to the article is the emphasis on velocity over command and elbow guards worn by players who think they are then invincible against getting hit by a pitch and therefore don't move out of the way.

Whatever it is, it needs to stop.
I'm not sure how you remedy any of the things mentioned in the article other than banning armor, and it seems like a bad idea to leave players unprotected.

I've bitched about armor at least since Craig Biggio made a career out of the HBP and Bonds protected the plate with it. But you can't just take it away now.
They didn't say to ban it, they said to not allow a free base if you wore it.
I didn't mean the the article proposed banning armor, just that that is the only feasible remedy I can think of.

They proposed awarding a ball but not a base if you got hit on the armor itself. That seems difficult to enforce and counter to the seemingly sacred goal of speeding up games, since it would most likely require a lot of replays.
Doesn't seem like it comes up often enough to really be worth a special rule (though I know MLB loves rulemaking on edge cases these days). If it's really a problem, seems like the most obvious change would be to be more stringent about enforcing the "need to try to get out of the way" rule, and even then I'd only be more aggressive in cases of the batter leaning out over the plate.
Black Lives Matter.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Even though it doesn't come up a lot, when it does it can be pretty significant, as we saw yesterday with the hit in the helmet by the pitch and Seager's broken hand. I think that meets the criteria of not adding rules to every little thing.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Comebackers off pitchers' heads are even more dangerous. There's just not a lot you can do without major changes to the mechanics of the game. You have pitchers throwing balls as hard as they can in the direction of batters and batters hitting them as hard as they can in the direction of fielders.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:24 pm Comebackers off pitchers' heads are even more dangerous. There's just not a lot you can do without major changes to the mechanics of the game. You have pitchers throwing balls as hard as they can in the direction of batters and batters hitting them as hard as they can in the direction of fielders.
But is there a noted increase in comebackers off pitchers' heads as is the case with hit batters?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:24 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:24 pm Comebackers off pitchers' heads are even more dangerous. There's just not a lot you can do without major changes to the mechanics of the game. You have pitchers throwing balls as hard as they can in the direction of batters and batters hitting them as hard as they can in the direction of fielders.
But is there a noted increase in comebackers off pitchers' heads as is the case with hit batters?
There was a rash of them a few years ago and there were some proposals. Can't remember, maybe the year Bauer got his ankle shattered by one?

Regardless, it was responding to the notion that although HBP doesn't happen that often, they are significant enough that they are worth rules changes. Comebackers are even more dangerous despite being rarer. Just ask Bryce Florie.
Spoiler:

But I wouldn't advocate for rules changes for them either.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't think you can fairly treat them the same way, though. Short of armoring pitchers (which would hamper their effectiveness) or putting up some kind of shield (which would cause its own issues), there's not really anything you can do about comebackers. There are things you can do about HBP, though, that would have a minimal impact on actual gameplay.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

If only pitchers could exert enough control to throw outside to those known to get intentionally hit.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:25 pm If only pitchers could exert enough control to throw outside to those known to get intentionally hit.
That's fine with most hitters who crowd the plate. If the pitcher loses the inside half of the plate as a target, that's an advantage to the hitter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:28 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:25 pm If only pitchers could exert enough control to throw outside to those known to get intentionally hit.
That's fine with most hitters who crowd the plate. If the pitcher loses the inside half of the plate as a target, that's an advantage to the hitter.
So it's still a choice...they risk pitching something that can be hit or risk hitting the idiot who thinks getting pegged is a viable at-bat. If I was the pitcher I'd aim for the dumbasses skull and hope to put him in a coma. I guess there's a reason I'm not paid obscene amount of money to throw a ball, though.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jeff V wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:32 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:28 pm
So it's still a choice...they risk pitching something that can be hit or risk hitting the idiot who thinks getting pegged is a viable at-bat. If I was the pitcher I'd aim for the dumbasses skull and hope to put him in a coma. I guess there's a reason I'm not paid obscene amount of money to throw a ball, though.
Plus you'd get fined, suspended, and all your teammates would hate you because you'd be getting them targeted in retaliation. Probably for the best if you skip tryouts this year.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ah, Tony La Russa, never change.

Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:50 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:24 pm
There was a rash of them a few years ago and there were some proposals. Can't remember, maybe the year Bauer got his ankle shattered by one?
I was at the game Bauer got hit by that comebacker. Oy.
Hodor.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Pillar did an interview. I won't post it here but ya he looks like what you would think he would look like.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

AAA Mets will win the series in Atlanta. That's huge... If they can play .500 ball with the broken team I'll be happy.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Kershaw mad yet again at being pulled from the game for a pinch hitter. He let Roberts know in no uncertain terms that he wanted to keep pitching. On the other hand if Kershaw doesn’t walk a guy and then give up a home run he’d probably still be pitching.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Mets almost pulled off a sweep. I'll take 2-3 with that broken ass team.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:43 pm Ah, Tony La Russa, never change.

La Russa got destroyed by local media and the fan base over that. I doubt there is any consequence for Mercedes within the "family".

Not popular.
Ask any White Sox fan, and they will tell you that the first month-and-a-half of La Russa has been insufferable, from bullpen mismanagement to admitting not knowing the rules of the game to questionable lineup construction. All of it could easily be swept under the rug as the White Sox continued to push themselves to the top of the leaderboard in several statistics, including best winning percentage and top run differential in baseball, despite La Russa falling asleep at the wheel on several occasions. Through all of that, though, the most recent case that has him all over headlines and Twitter accounts is, and should be, the last straw.

For La Russa to not only kiss up to Minnesota, but then stay in the dugout after his player was thrown at is inexcusable.

Following Tuesday night’s loss, La Russa said that he had no issue with what the Twins did, and then all of Twitter broke loose.

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So will La Russa be lobbying for an asterisk on that guy's lifetime home run stats?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They need to send that idiot out to pasture. I've never seen a manager toss someone under a bus like that.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Spoiler:
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
In the last 20 years, MLB hitters have seen 557 pitches in 3-0 counts with their teams up 10+ runs.

Yermin Mercedes was the first to swing.

And it was great.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What a piece of shit. The other potential managers that they could have hired have way more class than LaRussa could possibly imagine.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He's a kid living a fairytale season. If you don't want him to hit a HR, pinch hit for him. Don't send him up there to face a position player grooving 45mph meatballs. It's possible to manage around the "unwritten rules" by being, you know, an actual manager rather than a hot bag of ass.

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Oh Alonso is now hurt. He didn't play yesterday and yet they still almost won. :lol: It would be nice if Lindor could hit over .200, but I'm just amused to see them even compete with what they have left at this point.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:31 am He's a kid living a fairytale season. If you don't want him to hit a HR, pinch hit for him. Don't send him up there to face a position player grooving 45mph meatballs. It's possible to manage around the "unwritten rules" by being, you know, an actual manager rather than a hot bag of ass.
The La Russa hire made no sense when it was announced and makes less sense now.
Hodor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Well I think the Giants are ready for the dodgers tomorrow Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

That won't be the score tomorrow, trust me.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wasn't even the score today when all was said and done.

19-4 was the final of that mess. Ugly.

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Cincinnati has a silly silly stadium. I know this because I used to manage a team there in OOTP for years. It's like a reverse Yankee Stadium where righties go nuts on hrs. So not surprised. ;)

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:05 pm Wasn't even the score today when all was said and done.

19-4 was the final of that mess. Ugly.
That won’t be the score today either unless the Dodgers score 19 runs :lol:
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:43 pm Ah, Tony La Russa, never change.

This is apparently more than one day's worth of hubbub and is still resonating. I won't pretend to understand and be soaked in the traditions of baseball but expecting me to not to do my best job in a game that is largely about individual performances coming together to create a whole doesn't make sense. And then having a manager who publicly attacks me for doing my best job sounds like poison for the team and for fans of the team.

It's interesting that this remains blip on the radar at the end of the week.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

THE COMPLETELY NORMAL, TOTALLY REASONABLE UNWRITTEN RULES OF BASEBALL.
Rule 1
If a team is down by a lot of runs, they should stop trying to win. And the other team should stop trying to score. And the fans should fall into a deep, awful sleep. That’s how the game is supposed to be enjoyed: not at all.

Rule 2
If your team has a big lead near the end of the game, you should just stand motionless in the batter’s box and let the pitcher play catch with the catcher. That’s baseball. It’s what we all tune in for.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Aww, now they went and wrote them down.

MYT
naednek

Post by naednek »

Giants spent their wad in Cincy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Meanwhile, the hottest team in baseball, the Padres, are slaughtering the Mariners 12-1 to move into a tie for first place!

Edit: They forgot the unwritten La Russa - it's now 16-1.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

AAA Mets won again last night. I legit didn't know who half the players were. :lol: Alonso officially went on the IL. So ya I think we have 2 starters left. :lol:

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:42 am Giants spent their wad in Cincy
For the season hopefully! :)
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Octavious wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:39 am AAA Mets won again last night. I legit didn't know who half the players were. :lol: Alonso officially went on the IL. So ya I think we have 2 starters left. :lol:
See that tells you that the team is either a) Damn lucky! or b)Has a good manager. You decide :D
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Life is good. The Dodgers are the Dodgers and the Giants are the Giants :)
Black Lives Matter