Mass Effect Legendary Edition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Post by gbasden »

Hipolito wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:16 am Popping my tiny head in here, and avoiding all spoiler talk, just to share my excitement that I'm almost done with Mass Effect 3. I've completed every side mission and DLC. I've looted every system. I don't think I can squeeze another point of Total Military Strength out of this space orange.

It's been quite a ride these past few years, playing the games and taking in the transmedia (the books, comics, and movie). There's so much good, quality stuff here. They really worked hard to make it special.

I like that I'm completing the Mass Effect series soon after the total solar eclipse. An eclipse was a recurring image in ME1, symbolizing something hidden. And it brings to mind that Total Eclipse of the Heart song, which to me is about surrendering to fate and finality. All these concepts resonate with me now that I'm close to discovering the ending that made so many gamers nerd-rage. Whatever happens, I'll welcome it.

I'm going to start the final missions this weekend. And when I'm done, I'll come up for air, gather my thoughts, and share them with you. Until then, I have to go. Turn around ...
:romance-heartsthree:
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

(Sorry if the images are broken. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.)

I've finished Mass Effect 3. I think ME1 had a better story, and ME2 had some features I miss, but ME3 is the best overall game in the series. I'll comment on various aspects of it without revealing major spoilers.

Combat: Some missions are more fun than others, but none of them are duds or filler. I had a pretty good time with most of it.

As an Infiltrator, I didn't get as many satisfying one-shot kills as I did in ME2. But I was able to get some extreme-range kills thanks to the bigger battlefields. I even got to kill a few enemies before they showed up on radar. The various guns are fun and cool, though I wish it were easier to experiment with them and change loadouts. And I miss heavy weapons.

Enlarge Image

Combat is much harder now that enemies can throw grenades. This was such a big problem that early on, during one of the tram car battles in the Priority: Mars mission, I got frustrated and put the game away for four months. When I came back to it, I changed the difficulty from Insanity to Medium and was able to finish the mission. Then I wondered whether ME3 is tougher than the early games. I checked online and was surprised that the consensus was no, ME3 is much easier than ME2 and about as easy as ME1. This motivated me to reload a save and try the mission on Insanity again. This time, I spent my stash of 30 level-up points (I should have done that earlier, duh) and after a few more tries, succeeded in completing the mission on Insanity. ME3 had a few more very tough battles in store but I kept the difficulty on Insanity till the end.

I like how your power cooldown time lessens if you carry fewer, lighter guns. I carried only a sniper rifle and enjoyed being able to cast Incinerate and Tactical Cloak pretty frequently. I never missed having a backup gun since ammo is more plentiful in ME3; even though my sniper rifle usually held fewer than 15 rounds, I was rarely out of ammo.

Enlarge Image

Story: although some of the decisions I made in past games ended up not mattering much, I could feel the past events really coming to a head. The stakes couldn't be higher, and the dialogue and voice acting rose to the challenge.

This game shows the emotional cost of war more than most games. You don't just have the charred war zones that were once communities; you also have the crowd of refugees, growing in number, desperately searching for loved ones, weeping in each other's arms. There's a lot of "I'm so sorry" going around.

I really liked how every War Asset is not just a number, but also a brief blurb on what each War Asset is contributing. The blurbs add a lot of flavor and context to the story.

I'll have to remember this line that was said at a particularly harrowing time: "It can be rebuilt. Just worry about the next 20 meters." That's good life advice in general.

Looting: In ME1, you trundle around in the Mako. In ME2, you spend hours scanning planets while listening to audiobooks and podcasts. In ME3, you have the much more streamlined system of scanning a big chunk of a solar system. You see a percentage of how much loot you've collected and even have to watch out for danger. It's still not a great looting system but it's the best one and by far the least time-consuming.

Enlarge Image

The DLC

From Ashes (Eden Prime): I've read this was originally going to be part of the main game, but was then repackaged as a DLC. That's a shame, as this is essential. It not only has great house-to-house fighting, it adds a huge amount of lore and personality.

Leviathan: Not much fun, but another must-play for the lore it adds.

Omega: a long slog of battles in dark rooms and dank corridors. Not very engaging, but you might as well endure it for the war assets and the bonus power.

Citadel: This was a mountain of combat, which I got a little tired of but it ended in one of the toughest fights in the series. After about 15 attempts, I tried a new strategy: constantly running away and letting my squadmates do the work. This made the fight take more than an hour, but it worked. This DLC was a mountain of hilarious banter, too. I'm glad so much attention was paid to the concept of spending peaceful, enjoyable time with others. After all the hardship, tragedy, and violence over the course of three games, this was important. It gave meaning to it all.

Enlarge Image

That Ending

(Note: since I played the Legendary Edition, my impressions I played are based on the Extended Cut endings, not the original ones.)

Up to now, the games had done a good job of not drowning the player in exposition. But the ending is a wall of technobabble. It's intriguing but very confusing. I didn't understand my choices or how to pick one. I ultimately picked what I thought my renegade would choose. But this turned out to be the ending they added in the Extended Cut. It was brief and abrupt. Even the game doesn't consider this a proper ending; it doesn't give you the achievements for finishing the story.

Nonplussed, I went to YouTube to view the other, "real" endings. The red one was the one I really wanted, the one most consistent with my approach throughout the three games. But the green one is the most emotionally satisfying, bringing genuine tears to my eyes.

Overall, I think the endings are good. Underwhelming, but cool. That's actually how I feel about the Game of Thrones TV show ending, too. A lot of people say they hate it, that it ruined the whole show. I don't think it's that bad; it's just not the spectacular finale we deserved.

I wish I had the chance to try even half of all the great games out there, but I'm glad I finally experienced Mass Effect. It's epic from beginning to end. This star trek isn't over, though: I'm going through the rest of the transmedia tie-ins. When I'm done with that, I'll make another post with transmedia recommendations.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hipolito wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:10 pm (Sorry if the images are broken. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.)

I've finished Mass Effect 3. I think ME1 had a better story, and ME2 had some features I miss, but ME3 is the best overall game in the series. I'll comment on various aspects of it without revealing major spoilers.

Agreed on all counts. I finished the original trilogy earlier this year, so it's still fresh in my mind. I feel that ME3 was the most polished game in the series that combined some aspects from both ME1 and 2. But that said, I've really missed some aspects of ME1. That game had large open worlds, and they all felt unique. The change in ME2 to being a cover-shooter felt like a major downgrade when it came to level design, leading to smaller less interesting levels, and ME3 moved it even more into that direction. Felt less like I was exploring planets, and more like I was exploring close-quartered prefabs.

As far as character interaction goes, ME3 is also vastly superior, at least when compared to ME2. I was deeply disappointed in how ME2 handled returning characters, and more specifically romanced characters. Some of the returned characters felt completely different personality-wise. For instance, I'd romanced Liara in the first game, but she was really emotionally cold and distant in the second, even after confirming I'd wanted to be with her, and it was not great from a gameplay perspective. But the writing also felt very different for her character and personality, but she felt like she was back to her old self in ME3. The other characters that had come back in ME3 also felt more like themselves too.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 pmThe change in ME2 to being a cover-shooter felt like a major downgrade when it came to level design, leading to smaller less interesting levels, and ME3 moved it even more into that direction. Felt less like I was exploring planets, and more like I was exploring close-quartered prefabs.
When I first read this I was surprised, as I felt ME3 had done a good job of making each area look different. But on reflection, I have to concede that the earlier games did have many areas that were quite imaginative and "broke the rules," whereas ME3 had areas that looked distinct but were really just standard CQC environments.
Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 pmAs far as character interaction goes, ME3 is also vastly superior, at least when compared to ME2.
After finishing a mission, I often replayed it just to see what would happen if I brought different squadmates or made different dialogue choices. While the end result was usually the same, I was surprised by the little details that changed along the way.

I've been watching YouTube videos about rare dialogue in the ME series. It's impressive how many lines there are that you'll never hear unless you do things most players wouldn't even think of doing.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hipolito wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:24 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:41 pmThe change in ME2 to being a cover-shooter felt like a major downgrade when it came to level design, leading to smaller less interesting levels, and ME3 moved it even more into that direction. Felt less like I was exploring planets, and more like I was exploring close-quartered prefabs.
When I first read this I was surprised, as I felt ME3 had done a good job of making each area look different. But on reflection, I have to concede that the earlier games did have many areas that were quite imaginative and "broke the rules," whereas ME3 had areas that looked distinct but were really just standard CQC environments.

Yeah, I mean most of what's unique in ME3's locations are via the hub areas. But I found most of the mission areas to be mostly samey. Also found it interesting that in each successive game, the Citadel's design is different every time. It makes sense after what happened in ME1, but not so much having it change yet again in ME3. But I guess most of that could be explained away that we're visiting different parts of the citadel in each.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I wish I could go through this series once again for the first time. I bought each one as it came out, suffering through having to buy the various DLCs individually. But despite them being mostly overpriced, I think they were worthwhile. Except for that combat simulator one for the first game, that was just awful. Barely any story, just a series of battles across the same three or four arenas - it was the only time I actually turned down the difficulty to easy. The multiplayer bits in ME3 were kind of a weird afterthought and seemed mostly like a cash grab, but the complaints about it being necessary to complete the game with the best ending were... I dunno, unfounded. I got it done just fine without having to play any multiplayer.

The planet exploration bits in the first one were a lot of fun, although some of the planets were a little annoying to navigate. But I vastly prefer those to the less-than-fun scanning mechanic of the second one and I'm glad they basically ditched it in the third one. Looking around the system maps in the first one for the little light flashes indicating secret areas was pretty fun.

I did not enjoy the "inventory management" part of the first one - it might work for a heavy-duty RPG on the PC, but the console interface made it extremely tedious. And also, let's be honest, once you get the Spectre-class gear, everything else becomes meaningless. The change from "heat management" to "clips" between #1 and #2 was a little rough as I was playing a sniper character my first time through; the second time I went with a biotic type (Vanguard?) and blasted away with some kind of "warp/detonate" combo, which allowed me to eliminate about 90% of the bad guys trivially.

The "interrupt" system for conversations introduced in #2 was pretty much the shit. Nothing like being able to cut in on a long-winded monologue with a little decisive fist to the jaw or some such. I haven't seen a game do that since, which makes me kind of sad.

By far, my favorite part of the series was the banter between the ship crew as they give each other crap over every conceivable subject. And the party at the end of the Citadel DLC was pretty much the real ending - the Reapers can go pound sand.

I did enjoy what they did with the Protheans in the "Javik" DLC and Javik's commentary in general. Especially when it came to Salarians.

I picked the red ending when it came down to it -
Spoiler:
I had no intention of taking advice from what is essentially an advanced but definitely buggy AI. Especially after playing through the Leviathan DLC, the sequence of events for the Reapers seems to be:
1. Generate stupid-ass theory that all life will eventually be eliminated by the artificial life that it creates after reaching a certain technological level.
2. "Prove" that theory by eliminating (most of) the species that created you.
3. Continue safeguarding life in the galaxy by eliminating large chunks of it; repeat until someone shoves a gauss pistol up your red tailpipe.
4. (Optional, failed) get a clue that you're the problem, rather than the sentient biological life that you've been blasting away for millennia
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:59 am

I did not enjoy the "inventory management" part of the first one - it might work for a heavy-duty RPG on the PC, but the console interface made it extremely tedious.
Oh god, yes, thanks for reminding me. I think that game had some of the worst inventory management in an RPG. It was bad even on PC. I couldn't understand why they hadn't changed it when they remastered it. That was one of things that really needed to change. The following games weren't much better at it either. I think what didn't help in the first game was the choice of flat art style in the menus and icons, then having the inventory being a list. It really needed a more visual , less clunky approach.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:59 am The "interrupt" system for conversations introduced in #2 was pretty much the shit. Nothing like being able to cut in on a long-winded monologue with a little decisive fist to the jaw or some such. I haven't seen a game do that since, which makes me kind of sad.
I have mixed thoughts on the interrupt system. While it's cool to interrupt someone's rant with a punch (or a hug), I was often so keyed into the dialogue that I didn't even notice the interrupt opportunity despite the big flashing symbol right in front of me.

And I want to complain about one aspect of the overall story throughout the series (spoiler):
Spoiler:
I don't like that Cerberus is so prominent from beginning to end.
I find them more annoying than intriguing. I was hoping that the raid on their HQ would finally put the kibosh on them. But noooo, I have to share the stage with Elon Husk even during the grand finale!
In other news, I'm using this screenshot from the end of Mass Effect 3 as an amusing wallpaper. Just imagine that the icons are all on the left. And ... (spoiler)
Spoiler: