Days Gone PC ...zombies

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: Days Gone PC ...zombies

Post by Smoove_B »

The train one near the NERO site is a great one. I remember the first time I saw it and tried to take it on, not realizing what I'd done.

The one thing I really, really liked about Days Gone is how they managed to figure out how to keep throwing things at you for the entire game to push you out of habits or tactics that had been working in prior areas or in prior places. Even up until the very end, I never felt like I was guaranteed anything at any time, and that was pretty cool.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Can you eliminate a portion of a horde then escape and return later?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sorta? The hordes are interesting in that if you get them to follow you (like if you agitate and start running), they will apparently draw in and collect more freely roaming enemies to join. If you leave the area and some unknown amount of time passes, the horde can regenerate and go back to it's predetermined size. But it might take a day or two. There's definitely a strategy in taking on some of them. For me, the key was always to chip away until you hit a magical number where they become manageable - because you have the right weapons and skills to deal with their speed.

That works great...until it doesn't and I'm not going to lie, I had to cheese my way through one of the hordes because holy crap it was bonkers. So very rewarding when you finally beat a horde.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scraper wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:23 am I don't understand the criticism some people leveled at the game for it being overly repetitive. So far I haven't found it to be repetitive at all, at least not any more so than any other recent open world game.
Yeah, me neither. I mean, there are the bounty missions and the search missions, but those are few and far between, and I think they help to break up the pacing a bit. I've always found them interesting, mostly because just about anything can happen.

Regarding the horde at the train overpass, don't know how I managed it, but I managed to do it by drawing their attention away and getting to the nero site cleanly without having to tangle with them. So, there are ways you can avoid them completely. It just takes patience.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought I had a golden opportunity when I saw a horde just 100 yards from the invincible researchers, but of course it took me to a cut scene, after which the researchers were gone. That is a battle I would love to see.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finally spotted a breaker near a marauder camp and lured him in. The gang members didn't really jump on the breaker and he took them out. I ran into their house and shut the door and was rudely surprised when the breaker pounded the door open. I had to finish him with two molotovs then club him to death. Good times.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:24 am :D

I look forward to reading the experiences of everyone else as they come to terms with the various hordes.
These words you say. They sound familiar. :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think I've encountered a bug today. Smoove, or anyone else who's played it, maybe you'll have some insight. Spoilering because spoilers fairly late in the game.
Spoiler:
So, I'm doing Weaver's polyurethane mission where you need to collect 7 polyurethane cups. I get to the area, destroy the bird nests and pick up the items along the way. But then I notice I'm missing one. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Meanwhile on the island right next to the truck is an area with a blue circle, and I have no idea if that's part of the mission. I decide to investigate, find the clue spot, which then leads me back towards the yellow mission circle, so I follow the path that it leads me to, but can't really find anything other than another nest to burn. At that point, I was very confused and I had to give up for the day. I'm hoping it's just that I'm missing something obvious, but I really couldn't find the 7th item.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've had situations like you're describing - where the mission circles get wonky. What you're looking for (the items) are definitely all along the path that they have you go down. I think I'd missed one as well and found it as I was walking back up the path and about to hit the main road - it was right near the top of the path.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I still haven't cleared a hoard. I generally just sneak around and accomplish my goals while avoiding them. Is there any actual reward for eliminating them?
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Scraper wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:13 am I still haven't cleared a hoard. I generally just sneak around and accomplish my goals while avoiding them. Is there any actual reward for eliminating them?
I think some hordes provide a specific reward, but generally there are rewards unlocked in the game (items you can purchase or craft) as you defeat a specific number. If you poke around the story/quest page you should be able to see something that is related to the hordes and what happens after you defeat 3, 5, etc...

It's like when you unlock the bunkers at various map locations (which you should totally be doing) after you defeat enemies. The more you defeat and unlock, you'll be given items and/or recipes for crafting.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scraper wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:13 am I still haven't cleared a hoard. I generally just sneak around and accomplish my goals while avoiding them. Is there any actual reward for eliminating them?
I have watched videos of people defeating hordes, and they mostly have advanced weapons, 6 proximity bombs and 6 napalm bombs, and craft more during battle. Since I am nowhere near having those things I don't worry about it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The game doesn't tell you this, but I will regarding hordes.
Spoiler:
The further north you are on the map, the smaller the hordes are. One of the very first hordes you can find is right near your starting area (the place where you and Boozer have a camp). The horde that is located here is comically small. While you definitely need advanced skills and gear to handle larger hordes, if you have the right weapons and can slow time, the hordes in the northern part of the map are quite manageable long before you can move to the southern portion of the game map. I personally didn't start fighting hordes until I was forced to as part of the story and it was a much harder lesson to learn at that point because the first horde you need to fight is quite large. :D
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:04 am I've had situations like you're describing - where the mission circles get wonky. What you're looking for (the items) are definitely all along the path that they have you go down. I think I'd missed one as well and found it as I was walking back up the path and about to hit the main road - it was right near the top of the path.
Ok, I'll have a look again. I went up and down the path multiple times, but couldn't find the last one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

So, I managed to find the missing one. It was behind a tree trunk. Only saw it on my way back as heading down the path was the wrong direction to see it. Odd place for it :D

So, I was doing a random hostage mission triggered by one of those blue search areas. I come to the camp and and reach a crest to scout it out. Suddenly they start shooting. Not only freakers. But a bear too. Bear won out easily and I could see it flinging its prey from a distance with my binos, then went in and mopped up with my RPD. Then I realize it got my hostage target as well. Aww :(

This is why the game is so good though. It's the random encounters that really give it some life. Many games seem to ignore everyone else but you. It's refreshing to have everyone be on an equal footing.

In other news, I just got The Cowboy, and boy is it sweet. Quite a powerful gun with lots of accuracy.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I had a random hostage mission show up once where I was on a dirt path that had a few stacked jumps and as I was in the air for the third one, I could see a person that was tied up and on the ground right where I was about to land. So my choice was to totally dump the bike and go flying off to rescue him or...land right on top. I knew if I dumped the bike I was going to immediately get ambushed by a gang of marauders so...

I still kinda feel bad about it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, everybody wants to be Superman for a day :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This game has officially entered my psyche. I was watching a commercial with an older model car, and I checked to see if the hood was tightly shut so I could loot it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Still working my way through this one. It's much longer than I initially thought it would be. It's not a bad thing since the game really does have an opening act, a middle act and a closing act. Each act has it's own focus and characters to conted with. The closing act has been my favorite one so far.

At this point in my playthrough i have some really powerfull weapons and I can take on hordes of all sizes with a bit of planning. Somehow it never seems to get old either.

This is a game that I wish would get a sequel, but i don't think it will.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Uh Oh! I think I'm at that point! I've just come to the mandatory horde. I suddenly feel like I'm out of my depths. Uh.... tips? :oops: 8-)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Start with a few molotovs then run, using the natural chokepoints. Map a route out ahead of time, set land mines out along the way. Use the various explode-y things laying around to your advantage. You can use your bike to get some distance, but it's risky.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:04 pm Start with a few molotovs then run, using the natural chokepoints. Map a route out ahead of time, set land mines out along the way. Use the various explode-y things laying around to your advantage. You can use your bike to get some distance, but it's risky.
I snuck up on that horde, after planting explosives along my escape route. Then while hiding in a bush as close as i could get to the horde i tossed an attraction thing to draw them to it. Then i tossed all of my napalm things at the horde. At this point they still didn't see me and about 70% of them were dead. From there i ran along my route and shot them at will. Resulting in 1 less horde and hardly any ammo expended.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:04 pm Start with a few molotovs then run, using the natural chokepoints. Map a route out ahead of time, set land mines out along the way. Use the various explode-y things laying around to your advantage. You can use your bike to get some distance, but it's risky.
I guess my problem is that even my best laid plans end up going out the window. Once the horde comes along my direction, I easily lose track of where I've laid my explosives while I'm running for life.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I have to be close to the end and I dont remember being forced to fight a horde yet.
Maybe I have, but have managed to run away? Is that possible?

Oh.....Attractor Bomb ftw.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

stimpy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:28 am I have to be close to the end and I dont remember being forced to fight a horde yet.
Maybe I have, but have managed to run away? Is that possible?

Oh.....Attractor Bomb ftw.
I thought the same thing. You're not close to the end yet.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I finished this up with the Platinum Trophy on the PS5 yesterday. I thought it was a great game start to finish. I won't go into spoilers but all of the post end credit quests are worth doing. The final NERO mission is especially good and it effectively sets up a sequel if there ever is one.
FTE
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I must admit I was a little disappointed when:
Spoiler:
He finally finds Sarah and she is one notch above indifferent.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:25 am I must admit I was a little disappointed when:
Spoiler:
He finally finds Sarah and she is one notch above indifferent.
I hear ya on that one, but I think the story sort of explains the behavior and eventually redeems it. (Trying not to spoil it).
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, keep playing.

Regarding the super secret ending, absolutely worth the time to keep playing (keep playing!). Unfortunately the developers have said they've moved on and there's no sequel coming. However, the game they're currently creating apparently uses the same basic design elements of Days Gone - open world, different factions, etc... so I'm hopeful it will be fun, assuming the theme is right.

Regarding the hordes, yeah, when I was forced to fight one for the first time it was a hard, hard lesson to learn. Definitely think like a guerilla fighter. They swarm, but they're mostly mindless and will follow you in a straight line. The trick (I think) is to get them to chase you one way and then break LoS and run the other way. What I did was use bombs and attractors from the rooftop of the shed and then when they start to swarm up, run toward the bridge that's diagonally behind you and cut down along the river edge and loop all the way back around. If you can, set landmines or other nuisance devices to snag a few more. Once you break LoS (when you reach the trees and take that hard right turn and run along the rocks/river the horde will eventually go back. Once you get them down to a manageable level (assuming you have the right guns and skill upgrades), taking out the rest isn't that bad.

There's lots to explore in the area as well - places to get more ingredients for things you need to help you.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Finally joined the club. :D

Unfortunately, my computer completely died yesterday. Possibly the power supply. But since I've been wanting a new PC for the last year or so, I took it as a sign. So I'll actually be able to see what the hubbub is all about in 2-3 weeks.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:54 pm Yeah, keep playing.

Regarding the super secret ending, absolutely worth the time to keep playing (keep playing!). Unfortunately the developers have said they've moved on and there's no sequel coming. However, the game they're currently creating apparently uses the same basic design elements of Days Gone - open world, different factions, etc... so I'm hopeful it will be fun, assuming the theme is right.

Regarding the hordes, yeah, when I was forced to fight one for the first time it was a hard, hard lesson to learn. Definitely think like a guerilla fighter. They swarm, but they're mostly mindless and will follow you in a straight line. The trick (I think) is to get them to chase you one way and then break LoS and run the other way. What I did was use bombs and attractors from the rooftop of the shed and then when they start to swarm up, run toward the bridge that's diagonally behind you and cut down along the river edge and loop all the way back around. If you can, set landmines or other nuisance devices to snag a few more. Once you break LoS (when you reach the trees and take that hard right turn and run along the rocks/river the horde will eventually go back. Once you get them down to a manageable level (assuming you have the right guns and skill upgrades), taking out the rest isn't that bad.

There's lots to explore in the area as well - places to get more ingredients for things you need to help you.
There's a skill in the ballistics tree that makes bullets go through multiple freaks. That skill is essential for killing hordes.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:54 pm Yeah, keep playing.

I have to assume that even if there currently no sequel in sight, that the developers will eventually come around to it. Devs don't always take direct roads to sequels. Sometimes they'll be revisited years later.

Oh and thanks for the tips for the horde. That will help a lot.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:40 pm There's a skill in the ballistics tree that makes bullets go through multiple freaks. That skill is essential for killing hordes.
Shit.
I've passed that skill over many times.
Of course, I was thinking that it was not beneficial because I very rarely had multiple enemies lined up in a row.
Didnt even dawn on me that it could be used for hordes.........
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It makes a HUGE difference in that exact situation, yes. But outside taking out a horde, not nearly as valuable. That's another reason I love the game - all the layers of strategy and how things change as you progress in the story.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:53 pm It makes a HUGE difference in that exact situation, yes. But outside taking out a horde, not nearly as valuable. That's another reason I love the game - all the layers of strategy and how things change as you progress in the story.
The sawmill Horde in particular. There's a really long 1 person walking bridge next to the saw mill where I mowed down about 200 of them before they could get to me.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ugh, I think I'll have to give up on it. Just cannot do it. And it's not just the situation, but the stress involved with it. I almost rage-quit over the Rager encounter earlier.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:18 pm Ugh, I think I'll have to give up on it. Just cannot do it. And it's not just the situation, but the stress involved with it. I almost rage-quit over the Rager encounter earlier.
If you can reload to a spot BEFORE you take that mission, drop the difficulty to easy, then activate the mission and give it a try. It doesn't work (lowering difficulty) if you do it in mission, only before.

It took me a day or so to figure out the pattern - I feel your frustration. I was literally chipping away at them for (I think) an hour in-game, just slowly taking out 10-15 at a time using the method I described above. The trick is to not get greedy and think you can just get another 5 or 6. Bomb 10 and then run. Slow and steady.

EDIT: There's also a bit of a glitch you can exploit if you didn't explore a building already. There's a restaurant (I think) on the dirt path that leads down to their pit area - across from the shed complex you should be bombing them from. If you never went in there before, when you go in through the doorway the wall collapses and you're trapped inside. From there you can attack them from the window on the second floor and they can't reach you. You throw the attractor bombs to draw them in and then just keep killing them. I'd already been in that building earlier in the game so I couldn't get back in.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ok, I forgot about being able to drop it down to easy. I had to step away from it for the time being, but I'll return to it another day and give it a try.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:57 pm The sawmill Horde in particular. There's a really long 1 person walking bridge next to the saw mill where I mowed down about 200 of them before they could get to me.
I had to cheese my way through this one. Even with the strategy I found on Youtube, it still took like 10 minutes...and very little gunfire.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:49 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:18 pm Ugh, I think I'll have to give up on it. Just cannot do it. And it's not just the situation, but the stress involved with it. I almost rage-quit over the Rager encounter earlier.
If you can reload to a spot BEFORE you take that mission, drop the difficulty to easy, then activate the mission and give it a try. It doesn't work (lowering difficulty) if you do it in mission, only before.

Btw, Is it Ok is it Ok if I have an active mission which I just accepted leading to a mission marker or do I have to quit out of it before dropping it down?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti