City of Gangsters - a crime syndicate business sim

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malchior

Re: City of Gangsters - a crime syndicate business sim

Post by malchior »

FWIW the price break didn't show up when I looked at it on the site but the discount was applied when it hit the cart this morning.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:43 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:32 pm
Baroquen wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:25 pm With this being on sale at GMG for under $20, I'm going to pull the trigger. It looks interesting enough for me at that price point.

(EDIT: I did have to log in to get that price... maybe an email offer? That's where I saw the deal).
There was indeed an email sent out, the basic and deluxe versions are on sale at 34% off.
Baroquen wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:25 pmNow back to jztemple2's Chicago Saga. :D
Thanks, I'm enjoying doing it.
That must have ended yesterday because now they are 15% off. Bummer
It's still at 34% off on Green Man Gaming, I just checked.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I must not be special. I only show 15. :(
malchior wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:54 pm FWIW the price break didn't show up when I looked at it on the site but the discount was applied when it hit the cart this morning.

Hmm... Now I'm back to thinking about it. That would take the deluxe down to a little over $25.

Edit, nope, not when I put it in the cart. I am not special.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Did you get the email yesterday? Did you sign in?

When I clicked the link from the email, it showed 15%, but when I signed in, it jumped to 34%.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hrothgar wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:45 pm Did you get the email yesterday? Did you sign in?

When I clicked the link from the email, it showed 15%, but when I signed in, it jumped to 34%.
Sorry I shouldn't have taken it for granted that people knew that. My browser uses cookies to sign in automatically.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So the deluxe edition has a DLC for a fourth city (Cincinnati), new resources, missions, etc. and it doesn't seem to be available (yet?) otherwise. I would have bought the deluxe version for the extra couple of bucks if I had known this, and how much I've enjoyed it so far.

Also - version 1.0.5 is out. Just some bug fixes:
Spoiler:
In the load game dialog, show the selected city's random number (if saved in 1.0.5 or later)
Turn off some mission availability while tutorial is active
Additional traits will unlock expansion availability
Fixed bug in Bourbon Counterfeiting skill availability
Fixed pan-to-building keyboard shortcuts (F1-F10) not being customizable
Fixed various typos in missions and elsewhere
Fixed several UI refresh bugs
I'm in a bit of a money crunch in my current game. I was able to expand to 3 crewmembers, but probably shouldn't have because of their wages. I don't have quite enough money to launch my second operation. Once I get that up and running, I hopefully will be good. Need to start bribing those cops!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The DLC will be available in a couple of weeks according to the devs.

I too am dealing with money issues in my first regular game, but that's not unusual for me, I tend to overspend and over expand in all business sims. It also takes some getting used to when remembering that money isn't universally available but has to be assigned to individuals.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm I too am dealing with money issues in my first regular game, but that's not unusual for me, I tend to overspend and over expand in all business sims. It also takes some getting used to when remembering that money isn't universally available but has to be assigned to individuals.
I just bought the deluxe version tonight when I saw the GMG discount - and only an hour or so into the tutorial and I have my first crewmember driving the delivery truck and making the automated rounds and keeping all that cold hard cash to himself.... it's driving me nuts - I have deals to make! It would be nice if it could be universally available like you said, but I'm guessing there is the chance of losing a car with cash to rivals, or something along those lines, that I have to look forward to.
-something witty-
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I think having money assigned to individuals makes for an interesting challenge. And remember that a cop can also grab your crew person. They will be released but you'll lose everything they had with them.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Here's a look at the map of my current play through as "Arnold Lewis". I'm at Turn #77. The railroad has limited my northern growth, I have the river to the east, the Swedes are to the south, and more railroad cuts off part of the expansion to the west. I've actually have my territory in two parts, hoping to link them up, but there aren't a lot of businesses out there. Eventually I intend to own a business further west so I don't have to keep pulling back all my crew to the original business in the west of my territory.

Enlarge Image

I'm also picking up a lot of small details, like Pipe cannot be carried in a passenger car, only a pick-up.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've had an instance of a police officer who's bribe just wore off immediately rushing over to my home corner and nabbing three of my crew, so I lost all their cash, weapons and cargo :cry:. I found a forum thread where the devs have noted that they are looking at toning down the immediate response after a bribe wears off. I also asked if the expiration date could be displayed on the precinct display so I don't have to keep writing it down.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Man, the price of opening a new front escalates quickly. I'm trying to set up my fifth front and they want $680! :shock:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:50 am I've had an instance of a police officer who's bribe just wore off immediately rushing over to my home corner and nabbing three of my crew, so I lost all their cash, weapons and cargo :cry:. I found a forum thread where the devs have noted that they are looking at toning down the immediate response after a bribe wears off. I also asked if the expiration date could be displayed on the precinct display so I don't have to keep writing it down.
I successfully bribed my two local police officers in my latest game (yes - I started over again). You probably already know this, but the expiration date for each PD NPC is displayed on their individual pop-up. I don't recall checking the precinct page much.

I also have a fed agent sniffing around the neighborhood. Should I be worried about her at this point?

(And I'm glad to hear about the DLC. I'll be looking to pick that up, I think).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Baroquen wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:08 am You probably already know this, but the expiration date for each PD NPC is displayed on their individual pop-up. I don't recall checking the precinct page much.
True, but only if you have a crew in the same corner as the officer. I did find out that if you click on a corner display it will show which police officer is responsible for that corner and the mouse-over will show if they are bribed and the expiration date of the bribe. I was just looking for something faster.

I'm really running on the ragged edge of running out of money. My brick wine operation needs a lot of stoneware crockery and I ended up buying two cycles ahead of what I need, burning through my cash. As I'm going to bed tonight I've finally managed to survive to the moment the next production cycle has yielded me 88 crocks of brick wine.

And of course most of that cash I make goes away into creating a new front... :roll:

UPDATE: I got a reply from a dev on this and they said they are going to implement a pop-up that will give an advanced warning of when a bribe wears off :D. They also noted:
Until then, you can inspect the relationship bar with the cop, and look at how long they have until the "they appreciate your donation" bonus wears out.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The visuals in this game are really pretty cool:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I learned about something that had confused me, I'll post the messages from the Steam thread:
jztemple wrote:I'm not 100% sure about this, but if I go to a business and it shows several question marks with "Unknown Resource", is the only way to find out what those resources are is to increase their opinion of you? No sneaky backhanded way?
BobMaster;3052864175207530472 wrote:If it shows you can sell/buy other things, that simply means you have not learned about those things yet.
Relationship will not change anything about that.
I'm not exactly sure about all the sources to learn about items, but any skill you gain is a great help.
Sometimes I learn about an item and I have no idea why, maybe the popup tells you, haven't checked.
UPDATE: This got posted in that thread as well, which does indicate that sometimes you do need to raise opinion to find out about stuff.
galadon3;3052864175207666853 wrote:you can actually tell from the text in brackets, sometimes it tells you that the person deals in ressources you don't know yet, sometimes it tells you you have a feeling they deal in blackmarket-stuff but don't trust you.
If its the latter, raising opinion helps.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Is there any way to remove a mission once you've accepted it?

I have a mission to get 5 barrels for somebody and they'll teach me Malt Making. However, there is no where that I can find as of yet that sells barrels. So, I've been letting that mission sit there, and lo and behold, a much later on, a different mission granted me the Malt Making skill, so now I no longer need that original one. I just can't seem to clear it - and I don't want to spend $500 and whatever the barrels will cost to do so...

Any hints?
-something witty-
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

infinitelurker wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:01 pm Is there any way to remove a mission once you've accepted it?

I have a mission to get 5 barrels for somebody and they'll teach me Malt Making. However, there is no where that I can find as of yet that sells barrels. So, I've been letting that mission sit there, and lo and behold, a much later on, a different mission granted me the Malt Making skill, so now I no longer need that original one. I just can't seem to clear it - and I don't want to spend $500 and whatever the barrels will cost to do so...

Any hints?
The devs have indicated that they will address being able to delete a mission if desired, it's on their list.

Shame that on Steam the overall rating is now "Mixed", since a lot of those reviews are "I was expecting it to be something else, so it's BAD GAME because it's not what I wanted it to be". If these damn kids had to go through editing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files everytime they wanted to play a game they would be more appreciated. And GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've been trying to use automated deliveries to take away some of the busy work of the game, but it seems to not work well. I found a Steam forum thread which said that the deliveries are purposely made less efficient, which seems dumb to me. I believe in what Sid Meier said, "Give the player interesting decisions". Making me as the player driving around making sales over and over seems unnecessarily annoying. I've posted as such.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm enjoying it so far. Game 3 involved me getting nabbed by the police early and losing most of my inventory and cash. First time they've been angry at me, but I did get fair warning. They raided a nearby corner twice and where I was standing was pretty hot.

It looks like moonshine produces a LOT more heat than beer.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:33 pm
Shame that on Steam the overall rating is now "Mixed", since a lot of those reviews are "I was expecting it to be something else, so it's BAD GAME because it's not what I wanted it to be". If these damn kids had to go through editing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files everytime they wanted to play a game they would be more appreciated. And GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! :D
What they are saying is that they expected it to be a mobster movie as opposed to a mobster sim :)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:41 am I've been trying to use automated deliveries to take away some of the busy work of the game, but it seems to not work well. I found a Steam forum thread which said that the deliveries are purposely made less efficient, which seems dumb to me. I believe in what Sid Meier said, "Give the player interesting decisions". Making me as the player driving around making sales over and over seems unnecessarily annoying. I've posted as such.
I haven’t *closely* compared the efficiency of automated deliveries to manual, but my very first one that I set up seems to be doing great. It grabs all the beer from my store house -> drops off beer at several locations -> pick up crocks at several locations -> drop off money and crocks at store house -> repeat. The only thing I might change in there is dropping off money at store house in between so as to not lose it all in a police stop.

I just got my second pickup, and will have one handle legal supplies and one handle to booze I think.
-something witty-
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

infinitelurker wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:16 am
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:41 am I've been trying to use automated deliveries to take away some of the busy work of the game, but it seems to not work well. I found a Steam forum thread which said that the deliveries are purposely made less efficient, which seems dumb to me. I believe in what Sid Meier said, "Give the player interesting decisions". Making me as the player driving around making sales over and over seems unnecessarily annoying. I've posted as such.
I haven’t *closely* compared the efficiency of automated deliveries to manual, but my very first one that I set up seems to be doing great. It grabs all the beer from my store house -> drops off beer at several locations -> pick up crocks at several locations -> drop off money and crocks at store house -> repeat. The only thing I might change in there is dropping off money at store house in between so as to not lose it all in a police stop.

I just got my second pickup, and will have one handle legal supplies and one handle to booze I think.
Hmm, maybe I need to go back and try deliveries again. I was having one just doing sales so it was coming back empty. I might need to use a save to do some testing.

That my biggest problem by the way, I tend to rush too much and not think.

By the way, excellent Steam guide, So yous wanna be a Gangster, huh?. Written up from the demo so some of it might be out of date, but there's a lot of good content there. I printed it out and its 26 pages long(!) but I'm already learning new stuff.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So a corner shop wouldn't sell to me because a local Crew was harassing him. The Crew leader killed himself attacking me, I've looted his car and the safehouse. Corner shop owner still won't sell to me because of the deceased Crew leader.

How does this resolve?

EDIT: Never mind. It looks like it resolved itself in a turn or two.

I'm kind of hamstrung with this current game. Not enough outlets for my fruit wine, and hostile forces all around me. For once, I was hoping NOT to start over, but we'll see.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I shot myself in the foot by having three businesses that all require stoneware crocks. And I upgraded my brick wine production so much that now I have more product than customer needs :roll:. I've also managed to bride three police officers (because my territory overlaps three precincts) and because they come due within a few turns of each other I'm having to hustle up over $700 really fast when that happens. And I'm not playing very well, rushing too much. So I'm going to have to start over again, but this time I'll know to check out the neighborhood before I commit.

Meantime, patch 1.06 is out:
We have a pretty sizable update today, with some improvements and a bunch of fixes!
• Storage expansions / depots. You can convert free space in the back of one of your buildings into storage expansion. This makes storage capacity *huge* but consumes the extra space. Good for setting up a central warehouse for a distribution network.
• Broaden availability of skills for higher-end booze production (bottled whiskey, brandy, rum, vodka, etc.)
• Adjust production for apple juice presses, grape presses, basic distilleries and malt processors (and their upgrades) to generate more materials from apples, grapes, corn syrup or barley
• Adjust progression of skills for corner and small speakeasies
• Corner speakeasies no longer require existence of any other production operations prior to construction
• Expansions for some bootleggers were not showing up properly
• Expand some resource availability in Cincinnati
• Graphics: New icons for pistols and shotgun
• Graphics: New business icon for auto shops that buy booze
• Bug fix: Neighborhood Knowledge mission not providing completion options
• Bug fix: One Person's Junk mission not providing completion options
And Developer Update #11
Hi everyone,

We wanted to start our first post-release update by thanking you for all the support and feedback that we’ve received so far. It's been a busy few days and we have been reading through all the comments and suggestions across the Steam forums, Discord, and Twitter. The feedback is greatly appreciated so please keep it coming!

In response to your feedback, we thought it would be helpful if we shared our development timeline for the next couple of weeks so you can see some of what will be arriving in-game:
• Warehouse depot - This suggestion was put forward by the community and will allow you to build a huge storage area in the back of one of your controlled buildings. Depots will be useful for stockpiling ingredients and booze and thus freeing up valuable inventory space within production buildings.
• UI streamlining around resource displays and overlays - To provide additional information and feedback to the player, and help inform decision making.
• Additional starting character options - We’ve had a lot of requests for deeper boss character customization and this will allow you to select the traits and portrait elements more intentionally, instead of (or in addition to) rolling for randomized combinations.
• Tutorial adjustments - We have a whole delivery system already built-in, but we don’t even teach the players how to use it. We should fix that. :)
• Ongoing tuning and small quality of life improvements.
• Week 1 and 2 bug fixes.

In the weeks and months ahead...

Following the first few weeks of updates we’re going to be working on our broader strategy for larger quality of life improvements, additional content, and features that are requested by the community and fit within the scope of the game’s design. Like we said, we have read through a lot of player feedback already and there are definitely some really interesting ideas that we’d like to explore further so watch this space!

Finally if you are enjoying the game right now, consider leaving us a review, it would mean a lot to us at this early stage. We’re a tiny indie studio from Chicago that’s entirely self-supported by our games, so every review counts a lot!

Matt & Rob
SomaSim
After reading that I'm kind of in the mind to shelve the game for awhile and let it mature. You know, like if the game was released in Early Access :roll: and I wouldn't have touched it till it was in version 1.0 state. Anyway, Car Mechanic Simulator 2021 is out and I might dig into that for awhile...
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And patch 1.07 is out:
• Resource buyer/seller overlays:
• ... You can select multiple resources to be shown at the same time
• ... You can mark a set of resources as "favorites" and show them all at the same time
• ... New hotkeys: Z shows favorite resources, X shows heat and C shows respect

• Further broadening of skill discovery and softer gates
• Increase experience gain for building managers by 50%
• Increase levels available for building manager experience upgrades and related bonuses
• Starting to expand experience gains for managers in second tier (counterfeit wine, bathtub gin, etc.) production operations - more are pending translation
• Add additional luncheon rewards for Pittsburgh and Detroit maps

• Bug fix: Unlocking speakeasy skills not revealing furniture
• Bug fix: Double Barrels expansion sometimes displays incorrect text
• Bug fix: Party Surplus event result quest not providing completion options
• Bug fix: Homemade Booze Diversification quest not providing completion options
• Bug fix: Some truck sales were not picking up price modification with Negotiation Assistant skill
As I said, I'm going to hold off playing this for awhile, but it's great to see the devs really trying to make it an even better game.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I'm still having fun with this, but like you pointed out, there are definitely improvements that need to be made. One example: I attended a neighborhood luncheon and got introduced to somebody who could improve my beer operation. All I needed to do was deliver 60 stoneware crocks to them by a certain date, which was 2 months out. I gladly accepted this mission. Now the needed improvement: The (I'm guessing) random location of this person to deliver to was clear across town! It was way beyond where I had explored, so I started off immediately with the goods. Well, my driver didn't even get half way to the destination before the deadline hit and the mission expired. I guess driving through unexplored territory is slower or something? Either way, this was an impossible-to-complete (unless I'm missing something) mission I was given, that ain't fun.
-something witty-
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Anyone having problems with saves? I have lost two save games now.
Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

noxiousdog wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:48 pm Anyone having problems with saves? I have lost two save games now.
I haven't had any issues as of yet. Are they corrupted or just missing? You might want to post a bug report on the Steam forum as this sounds serious :shock:
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:06 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:48 pm Anyone having problems with saves? I have lost two save games now.
I haven't had any issues as of yet. Are they corrupted or just missing? You might want to post a bug report on the Steam forum as this sounds serious :shock:
Missing. It's probably something to do with cloud saves or I'm not confirming the overwrite.
Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another patch. Glad to see fixes being made for deliveries.
Update notes for version 1.0.8

• Delivery improvements:
• ..... Better cost calculation - each delivery step now costs 1 action point uniformly
• ..... Improved readability of individual steps on a delivery schedule

• Better ladder for upgrading from basic bootleggers to corner speakeasies
• Change missions that require building second tier (counterfeit wine, bathtub gin, etc.) production operations to complete on any operation that produces them
• Block missions post-extortion missions that can improve relationships from owners with vindictive, cruel or irritable traits
• Bottle rack construction mission can be started while fronts are expanding

• Bug fix: Upgrade for Backroom Homemade Beer Bootlegger shows cider twice and no moonshine
• Bug fix: Train stations sometimes offering multiple missions
• Bug fix: A League Of Our Own mission sometimes not displaying completion options
• Bug fix: Hooligan offering switchblades not showing the weapon/resource
• Bug fix: Train station mission not providing completion options
• Bug fix: Improved moonshine still should not show up outside of Cincinnati
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update...
Update notes for patch 1.0.9
And now something you've all been waiting for... more customization options for the boss character! :)

In addition to name and nationality you can:

Choose individual appearance elements like face, clothing, etc.
Choose starting traits from a selection of personalities, or just randomize

NOTE: this will work with new games starting in 1.0.9. Old save games from 1.0.8 and earlier may get their boss portrait randomized on load. :(

Fixes:
• Bug fix: resource production would stall when there was not enough room to produce the result, even though consuming the ingredients should've freed up enough space
• Bug fix: crew would pathfind right through enemy territory even though it cost them extra movement points
• Bug fix: dinner party buy-in being inverted sometimes, and giving player money instead of taking it

PS. If you haven't yet, we'd appreciate your review on steam! We're a tiny team making indie games, not some big studio, so every review matters a lot!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Good to see that maybe I can have a better chance of re-bribing my local fuzz.
Update notes for version 1.0.10

Cops will now offer a short grace period after the last "donation" expires.
(Note that their price also increases over that grace period.)

Further improvements to bootlegger/speakeasy upgrades
Expand options available upon completion of the "Neighborhood Tastes" mission

Bug fix: American feds and cops should not be showing up in Canada
Bug fix: Missions sometimes showing up at buildings controlled by players
Bug fix: "Neighborhood Tastes" mission sometimes not offering completion options
Bug fix: After the Fire mission not displaying completion options in Cincinnati map
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The more I'm playing this the more I enjoy it. I lost my thug today, though. He got killed during a fight with another outfit. We killed her though, so I'll take it.
Black Lives Matter

infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:47 am The more I'm playing this the more I enjoy it.
Same here, although, I’m starting to get bogged down with micromanaging things in my current game. I have 14 corners, I’m cranking out hard cider, but due to RNG, I don’t have enough places to sell it all. The more time I put in, I sooooo wish they would abstract the money so it’s globally available. I know that takes away the risk of getting nabbed with it, but man is it a pain when you’re far away from your safe houses and somebody offers you a sweet deal and you’re a few bucks short of finalizing it on the spot.
-something witty-
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update notes for version 1.0.11

Content fixes:
*Change so that bottle racks in all fronts can be built while territory is expanding, not just the first front
*Make later game skills generally more avialable and less dependend on player's built operations
*Add more manager updates for tier two (counterfeit wine, bathtub gin, etc.) alcohol production
*Remove previous cap on building manager upgrades that made the management upgrades and production upgrades mutually exclusive (you can now follow both tracks)
*Update tutorial to include steps about resource favorites and overlay hotkeys

Graphics: Some model updates, LOD updates and palette randomization updates

Full localized text for starting personality types
Fixed various typos
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update notes for patch 1.0.12

New deliveries tutorial: learn about setting up automated deliveries in lesson 15 of the tutorial

QOL fix: when interacting with a business, use SHIFT+CLICK to skip right into the buy/sell conversation
Also, if you have multiple drivers at that corner, this will default to the currently selected one instead of showing the crew selection popup

Missions that require construction of a specific operation will now also be completed by building any equivalent upgraded operation as well
Add Production Manager to higher level booze production

Bug fix: City generation in Detroit sometimes allowed initial safehouses in Canada when very close to the river
Bug fix: One apple juice press upgrade not producing enough
Bug fix: Incorrect icons showing on some stills
Update notes for patch 1.0.13

QOL improvements for deliveries:
- New buy/sell option: "buy/sell until vehicle has X in the trunk"
- New delivery step: repair vehicle starting at 50% wear
- New delivery step: visit bottle return (specific to Pittsburgh and Detroit)
- Resources are now sorted by availability (enabled before disabled)
- Locations will be persisted (if possible) as player switches delivery types

When you SHIFT-CLICK on your own building, it will take you directly to inventory view. If more than one crew member is parked at that corner, it will use the currently selected one instead of showing the crew selection popup.

Bug fix: combat calculations should have more variance
Fixed various typos
Developer Update #12: - delivery improvements, and much more!

Hi everybody,

In the two weeks since the last update, we've gathered a lot of feedback from the community, and have been busy turning those ideas into reality. We have a lot of ideas - for additions, for improvements and, of course, for what bugs we should squash. ;)

Since the release we've been shipping improvements several times a week, each week. This has been great, because it let us get changes into players' hands and see how well we address what you all have been telling us. Some of the big themes we've addressed in the recent releases:
• Deliveries have gotten a lot of attention: new delivery steps, various UI improvements, separate tutorial lesson, cost retuning, and more. This system is key to efficient mid-game, so we wanted to give it extra attention.
• Boss character customization - much more control over your starting character appearance and starting traits
• Lots of UI quality of life improvements: shift-clicks that skip to the most common interactions, new hotkeys, resources can be favorited for quick overlay toggle, and much more
• Various gameplay improvements: ability to install very large storage depots, more interesting police behavior, pathfinding fixes, and more
• Lots of tuning improvements and tweaks to quests, skills, AIs, and more

You can see the full list here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1386780/allnews/

It's been great to be able to respond to feedback so quickly, and we have much more planned.

And specifically, we have some bigger improvements planned - and the work on the first of those is already underway!

So to accommodate that, we'll be adjusting our schedule: you'll still see frequent updates with small improvements and bug fixes, but in addition to those, every few weeks or months we'll be shipping more major updates. We'll ship those to a beta branch first, for anyone who wants to check out a work in progress, and then release to everybody once we're happy with it.

We'll be sharing more information about each of those as they get closer. But you can expect a beta branch for version 1.1 in early September.
And if you're wondering what's going to be in version 1.1... Sorry, can't tell you. Not yet. But soon. :)

Happy playing!
- Matt & Rob
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Update notes for patch 1.0.14
Deliveries:

- When delivery UI is active, arrows are shown in delivery order to signify route taken
- When using the "save and add new step" button, the new step will be added immediately after the current step, not at the end of the sequence
- Added buttons to "save and show previous step" and "save and show next step"
- Tutorial lesson for deliveries has been fully translated

Settings: most graphics and audio settings can now be adjusted without exiting to the main menu

When buying a new building, show what the front of the house is going to produce
Add experience upgrades for managers in makeshift and small stills

Bug fix: tutorial used to fail to get marked as "completed" in translation
Bug fix: achievements should no longer be granted after the end of Prohibition
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There have been a few more small updates but I've decided to let folks who are interested check those out. However, this new announcement is pretty cool: Join us for Beta for Version 1.1 - "Make no small plans"
Welcome to the first of our new feature releases!

In version 1.1 we're introducing procedurally generated maps! Read on for more information about 1.1, and how you can participate in the week-long private beta prior to the official release next week.

Version 1.1: Procgen Maps

In version 1.1, when you start a new game, in addition to the well-known Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Cincinnati maps, you will have an option to select a "custom map". This is where you can tweak procedural generation to create a completely new map, with a new topography and layout.

In the custom map UI you can tweak a number of settings:
- River density and shape
- Types of hills and coastlines
- Road network characteristics
- Number of rival gangs, corner hooligans, and police precincts
- Density of named industrial and commercial centers
- Which source city should be used for economy settings (e.g. to specify what kinds of resources are available)

Once you select those, a new map will be generated from scratch according to the settings, with completely random topography and layout.

In the future, you will be able to edit those maps further, and share them as mods, so stay tuned for future updates!

Opt-in to beta

If you're interested in checking out this feature, we'd love to get your feedback. Before the release next week, we're hosting this build in a separate beta branch on Steam, so that anyone interested can check it out.

Follow these two steps:
1. Please join us on Discord in the "#feature-testing" channel, where we'll be hosting discussion for this beta - the link is https://discord.gg/CityofGangsters
2. To play the build, switch to the "beta-1.1" branch on Steam, and update the installed files. (To switch branches on Steam, right-click on CoG in your game list, select Properties, then switch to the Betas tab, and select the "beta-1.1" branch. To reset back to the release version, in the Betas tab select the "default" branch.)

Looking forward to showing you the new feature!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

There have been a few small updates I didn't bother to post about, but today's is more important: City of Gangsters Developer Update #14, Steam Workshop Support
Just a quick update - we just released Steam Workshop support for map modding and sharing!

Following the release of custom maps in version 1.1.0 , we've been working on map export, so that they can be edited further, and shared with other players via Steam Workshop. If you want to go beyond sharing an interesting, unique result of procedural city generation, you can add even more variety and character to the results of a promising map by editing geography, changing names and more. Or, if you want to see how Prohibition would play out where you live, you can handcraft maps to look just like your hometown - or really any other city!

We’ve got instructions to walk you through both the details of sharing a custom map via Steam Workshop and the nuances of editing a city by hand right HERE.
The map modding information is available as two downloadable PDFs on that last link.