Winter 2021-22 is coming

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: Winter 2021-22 is coming

Post by Kraken »

I guess we got around 6". Hasn't quite stopped yet, but I'm about to go out and start moving it around anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

zero snow zero clouds full on bright sunshine and a high of 28f it seems..brisk but beautiful. Glorious at 2pm.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Roman

Post by Roman »

This was the year that I bought myself a new 2022 Ski-Doo..... I am praying for snow!
There is snow on the trails about 8hrs from here but I am not ready to make that sacrifice just yet.....
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tuesday will be our coldest day in three years with a forecast high of 12 F. It's not so much that the cold is so bitter (it is) as that it's been three years since we had a really bitter day.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We've got an inch of snow out there and are expecting 4-5 inches more. Temp is mild at 29 degrees. Good luck to youse back east.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Winter is even making its cold hand felt here today. Temp topping out at 64 degf and wind gusts to 30 mph. Overnight lows down to around 40 degf but at least the wind will be dropping. The wife is (once again) mildly disappointed with me since I told her that I'm wearing shorts to the dentist tomorrow. I'm only going from the car to the office and back, I'm more concerned that the office will have their temp turned up and I'll be sweating. I'd rather shiver than sweat.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

We had the warmest December on record. And now I think we're having the coldest January on record. If I had wanted cold I'd have stayed in northern Maine.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
telcta

Post by telcta »

Not looking forward to our natural gas bill in February. Hopefully supply has leveled out a bit but I'm expecting a higher than usual bill even though we keep our condo in the mid 60's during the winter. Still, anything is better than our old house when I had to fill up two 330 gallon oil tanks to last me two very cold months. At its peak oil was going for almost $4/gallon.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Electric heat ain't no bargain either. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
telcta

Post by telcta »

This Saturday looks like it could be a doozy for New England and, depending on the path, clobber the NY/NJ area.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-w ... st/1130340
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lovely. We've had very little snow so far, so I reckon we're due. But if this winter stays true to itself, we'll get rain instead.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They're predicting 12-18" for Boston on Saturday with winds reaching 50 mph. If the storm tracks farther east than the models suggest, we'll just get brushed; if it goes west, we'll get rain. Since it hasn't even formed yet, nobody knows.

So far this year we've had only one snowfall > 1", and that one brought a foot.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:56 pm They're predicting 12-18" for Boston on Saturday with winds reaching 50 mph. If the storm tracks farther east than the models suggest, we'll just get brushed; if it goes west, we'll get rain. Since it hasn't even formed yet, nobody knows.

Your storm is what's crossing Florida right now. Our normal winter storms are a quick cold front and then sunshine. Instead we've had two days of wind, rain and drizzle. And then this weekend we're getting below freezing temps for the first time in several years. Crazy January.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We are predicted to have as much as .4" of snow tomorrow, which would be our third largest snowfall of the year. Next week Tuesday it's supposed to hit 44...maybe I'll finally take down the rest of my Xmas lights.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

We might get an inch or two of snow in the Baltimore/DC metro area before it socks New England.

Mike Trout tweeted a funny gif about dragging the storm west, but I couldn't figure out how to share it here (tried to embed code? or share the image but none of it worked), so now I just feel dumb. But I was amused with the tweet. At least I can link it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:10 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:56 pm They're predicting 12-18" for Boston on Saturday with winds reaching 50 mph. If the storm tracks farther east than the models suggest, we'll just get brushed; if it goes west, we'll get rain. Since it hasn't even formed yet, nobody knows.

Your storm is what's crossing Florida right now. Our normal winter storms are a quick cold front and then sunshine. Instead we've had two days of wind, rain and drizzle. And then this weekend we're getting below freezing temps for the first time in several years. Crazy January.
Our storm won't form until tomorrow (although I think your low pressure system will become its nucleus).

The latest projection puts the apocalypse zone just south of Boston, which is where I live. We could be looking at 2 feet here. I have a shovel, I have a snowblower, and I can take Sunday off if I have to. If we don't lose power I can work all day Saturday so that should be fine.

But meteorologists do love to overhype one another, and this storm still hasn't even formed. We'll see.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:06 am Our storm won't form until tomorrow (although I think your low pressure system will become its nucleus).
That's what I meant, the low pressure that crossed Florida is going to strengthen and go up the East Coast. Good gosh, it looks nasty.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

IDK how to link tweets, but this is the very latest from a local meteorologist:
The late models are consistent in 2-3 FEET of snow, some 4 feet. That’s a one day storm. The most ever recorded in one day in Boston is less than 2 feet. Let’s see how it develops today, but we are looking at a potentially prolific storm.
I’ve been a professional meteorologist for almost 31 years. I studied meteorology @Cornell
for 4 years before that. There have been times I’ve seen crazy numbers from model runs, but never across several models this close to the storm. I don’t even know what to make of it.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Most I ever saw was about 4 feet over a Thanksgiving holiday when I was in northern Maine.
Fortunately the AFB had tunnels underground.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tried to get out and snowblow the driveway this week and it broke again. I'm feeling like a northern climate deahawk. If I can't get a food fix this weekend I think I'll have to get another before things get too crazy. That's the universe telling me "we don't care how exhausted you are and how poor your health is, you need to nut up and continue to work." Of course my fingers are in my ears. I'll pay the piper for my impending quitting much sooner than I'd like.

We're not due to get snow until mid next week but forecasts change rapidly.

This season has been about as little snow as I can remember, so far...
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Baroquen wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:18 am We might get an inch or two of snow in the Baltimore/DC metro area before it socks New England.

Mike Trout tweeted a funny gif about dragging the storm west, but I couldn't figure out how to share it here (tried to embed code? or share the image but none of it worked), so now I just feel dumb. But I was amused with the tweet. At least I can link it.
Just copy/paste the Twitter URL into the text box and the forum software will automatically display it.

Like so:

Hodor.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I wouldn't be surprised if the old man that knew how to interpret all the weather models died earlier this year of Covid or something...

Last night's prediction here in Chicago was about 2 inches, and it's turned into an easy foot and counting.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:55 pm We are predicted to have as much as .4" of snow tomorrow, which would be our third largest snowfall of the year. Next week Tuesday it's supposed to hit 44...maybe I'll finally take down the rest of my Xmas lights.
And how much did you end up getting?

Also, next week has now turned into a below-freezing snowstorm that could drop 9 inches...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Temps are already dropping here.....going to be in the teens with wind chill around 6. Im worried about my pipes so will have to stream water all night.

Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:14 am
Jeff V wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:55 pm We are predicted to have as much as .4" of snow tomorrow, which would be our third largest snowfall of the year. Next week Tuesday it's supposed to hit 44...maybe I'll finally take down the rest of my Xmas lights.
And how much did you end up getting?

Also, next week has now turned into a below-freezing snowstorm that could drop 9 inches...
Maybe a half inch of super-fluffy stuff, a lot of it managed to melt in the sunshine this afternoon. I shoveled anyway, only because the forecast would have it otherwise sticking around. The street was clear, just some puddles where it melted. Then after I finished (of course!) a snowplow needlessly scraped along the curb line, throwing about 5 feet of slush onto my just-cleaned driveway. Ugh.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Thanks pr0ner for the tech help. (Hopefully when I've got another tweet to share in seven or eight months from now, I'll remember!) :)

As the weather guys forecasted, very small amounts of snow here. I wish I could have gotten out to the beach to see the snow there, but there was no way I could fit that in this weekend. Still fun watching the flakes fall.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Supposed to be flurries with this deep cold tonight but I haven't looked out in at least 6 hours.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

New snowblower actually arrived on time. Picking it up at lunch. I was in a panic and managed fix the old one again last night. So between last night and this morning we went from 100% chance of 12"-15+" in 48 hours to a good chance of 6-12" between now and overnight. At least I'm prepared. I'll be giving the old snowblower away. Someone else can worry about replacing more belts and such.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Woke up, shoveled, showered, can't tell I shoveled. Drove to work, might not make back in the garage.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Supposed to get rain/sleet/freezing rain/snow today through tomorrow and legit cold tomorrow (high of 24) and then back above freezing Friday and up to 50 Monday. Hopefully we can weather a quick storm/freeze this time. My wife has asked me to drive her to work tonight, so she can sleep in her exam room and not worry about driving in at 5 tomorrow morning.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, the porch is froze. Let the storm begin!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's hitting here, too. Caiden had two activities scheduled for tomorrow, both of which are pre-cancelled. School tomorrow is almost a guaranteed elearning day (I hope - they'd better not go snow day.) I doubt Friday is a normal school day, either - it'll either be remote/closed, or it'll be delayed. Rural roads just don't get cleared quickly.

It's supposed to start in a few hours. We're looking at 6-10" of snow, which is some, but not an absurd amount (I learned how to drive in the Sierras, after all.) But we're looking at as much as half an inch of ice, which is more of a problem. I'm already making sure everything in the house that can be charged is charged, just in case, and I'm planning on just hand-waving the next few days. No point in digging out if there's nowhere to go.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Of course this is a day when my oldest had early morning appointments downtown. I had to get up early to shovel the driveway and a path from the wheelchair lift to the driveway (including shoveling the wheelchair lift!) so my wife and him could get out by 6:30 this morning. I then had to drive the twins to school, which is a haul. I got home and worked a bit, but then when my wife was on the way home, I had to re-shovel everything I did this morning. I'll have to get that stuff again at some point, plus all the sidewalk I haven't touched yet.

Wheee!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm surprised they didn't cancel schools here in Chicago. I mean, I haven't been outside yet, but from what I can see from my windows, it looks pretty crappy.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My kids' school actually sent them home with Chromebooks yesterday in case they did cancel/switch to remote, but word came late last night that they'd be having classes. I think they're trying to avoid any snow days (and they'd probably need a day to prepare if they switched to remote) since they lost teaching days to the CPS/CTU dispute.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

School is so much fun to navigate now. I got super lucky that my daughter is older as I have no idea how I would have survived the last two years. :doh:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

School is cancelled here for tomorrow and Friday. Hasn't been a drop of precipitation yet, but better to make the call earlier so parents can be prepared I guess.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I got a shiny new quarter for anyone who wants the privilege of breaking my brand new snowblower on my driveway and walk. I'll make two bits if you either wait until morning or come out two three times between now and then.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apparently after last weekend's near freezing temps we are going to get a miss on this storm, we're expecting temps around 80 and sunshine. Sounds good to me, that near freeze last week means we've had the heater on for a week, something I haven't had to do in years.