Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Extraction from Ubisoft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Extraction from Ubisoft

Post by jztemple2 »

So since I have Ubisoft+ I can play this for free, so I installed and went through the training missions. I was motivated to check out the game again after reading this review, especially this:
I've also found Extraction to be very engaging in single player. I've been waking up early and running a few missions every day before work by myself, and I really like the idea of creeping around on my own, taking down baddies and keeping things as quiet as I can manage. The tension in Extraction is thick as pudding, and even more so when you can't crack a joke or goof on a buddy. I've also run some missions as a duo with my son, and that is its own form of blood-pressure-raising fun. I'm not certain if Extraction cranks back the difficulty at all when you have less than a full team. It certainly doesn't feel like it, leaving single or duo player teams at a delicious deficit. Extraction demands your full attention under the best of circumstances; having less than three players forces you to really step up your game.
I had played R6E in the beta but it was rather confusing. It seems a bit more straightforward now. The training mission felt pretty nice, tense but with a sense of being able to beat it by being slow and careful. I'll try to put in some more time and post impressions.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Re: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Extraction from Ubisoft

Post by Max Peck »

I believe it's also included in Microsoft's Game Pass.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I watched RabBrad play a few mission today. It looks like The Division but with aliens, but I don't mean that in a bad way. It seemed to be pretty fun to me, but unlike the review quoted above, this single player run didn't seem particularly hard. But then again, it was an early mission so there's that. I generally don't like timers but they seemed to grant more than enough time to complete each mission segment. But I do wonder if that might change if missions get harder. I'll have to watch some more game play to feel more comfortable with that.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Interesting, I just read another review and that person absolutely hated the parts that this guy loved - not being able to choose every aspect of your character, not being able to choose your weapons, losing access to the character ( nd their weapons) you want to play either due to going down or lack of HP, forcing you to play with a character you don't really like, losing XP if you die during a mission, etc. He absolutely hated it and said he won't play an hour more.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I enjoyed my play time, about an hour doing solo missions. It's a very cleverly designed system. You have three areas in each mission, but you can skip (or flub) the objective in one area and go to the next through a tunnel. You also have the option to just go to the chopper in each area and quit the whole mission if you are getting pounded. However, playing solo is brutal, there are lots of times you'll need at least one other set of eyes, and preferably all three sets. For instance, one objective has you setting an explosive at a target and then defending it for over a minute from attackers. It's very hard to do that solo.

I might consider just going to a lobby and hooking up with two strangers, but without comms it's going to be not much better than solo. The game is really focused on 2-3 people working together. Overall I would rate it pretty interesting. I found Rainbow Six Siege way too fast, too many folks running around. In Extraction, although there's always a timer, the time limits I saw were pretty generous, and that's me playing solo. Stealth is rewarded as is good scouting. This game should really shine for folks with one or two other regular MP teammates they game with.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jag

Post by Jag »

I've put a bunch of hours into this via Gamepass. The world really has more of an XCom vibe than anything else while the gameplay stays truer to R6. I'm playing solo so really slow in leveling my guys up. Losing someone in a mission isn't the end of the world, but it's annoying because you have to do another mission to rescue them but you do get XP for doing it so it's not a total waste.

Haven't really done more than easy missions because the harder ones are still too hard solo at lower levels. There have been a bunch of missions where I came back at with 1 health. I doubt I will play for long because it will get repetitive really quick, but it's fun figuring out the systems and it's free.

This is not a run n gun game. Stealth and patience is the key.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those not playing the game, when Jag says "easy missions" I'm thinking that these were ones that kicked my butt :shock:. Recovering an MIA teammate has been a real problem for me playing solo and I've yet to do it successfully. Hats off to Jag (or helmet off?) for playing this solo.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

These are some really useful tips: Rainbow Six Extraction tips: How to get them most out of every run
I wish I had these Rainbow Six Extraction tips when I started playing it. Extraction is a game with rules that don't apply to many other shooters, so it was very easy for me to trip up early trying to play it like Left 4 Dead. Instead, you have to pay Extraction like a light stealth game where patience is rewarded and headshots are basically mandatory.

One of the first instincts I had to unlearn was to kill every enemy I see. Most Archaeans will die to just a few shots, but open unnecessary combat usually isn't worth the risk of alerting the stronger enemies nearby. Subtlety is key, which is a nice change of pace from the other big co-op shooters around.

Here are my best tips for surviving runs (both solo and with a team) in Rainbow Six Extraction.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Hmm, I pinged nest in the tutorial, but I don't seem to be able to do it on missions. Do I need a tool or do the nests have to be on the wall or something?

UPDATE: I see they have to be on the wall or ceiling, I'll try that :think:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This afternoon I started to play worse and worse on solo, so I gave in and selected Quick Play and joined up with two random folks. First of all,.forget that tip above about staying crouched all the time. These two guys never crouched :D. As might be expected, I was killed within two minutes and had to be revived. I was then killed again and went into a coccon. To their credit these guys never bitched at me on comms, just carried me to the evac pad and got me out. They then played through all three areas, completed all tasks and got out. Very impressive.

One more thing, I watched them play the rest of the level through their cams and got a significant case of motion sickness :?. Fair warning :think:
Jag

Post by Jag »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:23 am For those not playing the game, when Jag says "easy missions" I'm thinking that these were ones that kicked my butt :shock:. Recovering an MIA teammate has been a real problem for me playing solo and I've yet to do it successfully. Hats off to Jag (or helmet off?) for playing this solo.
Well the easiest difficulty level. The tree recovery is pretty easy once you understand the mechanics. I usually just clear the way to the extraction first, then go rescue my dude.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jag wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 am
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:23 am For those not playing the game, when Jag says "easy missions" I'm thinking that these were ones that kicked my butt :shock:. Recovering an MIA teammate has been a real problem for me playing solo and I've yet to do it successfully. Hats off to Jag (or helmet off?) for playing this solo.
Well the easiest difficulty level. The tree recovery is pretty easy once you understand the mechanics. I usually just clear the way to the extraction first, then go rescue my dude.
I finally got down the mechanics of the rescue and managed to do three in a row :D. The ones I'm having problems with are the ones that tend to draw in every nasty beast on the map, the one about setting explosives especially. I hate having to defend it from so close to the target. This objective type is definitely one that's easier with teammates. However, I finally did managed to do an entire mission of three areas successfully. Sadly I don't know how much longer I'll be playing this solo as I'm really reaching my limit.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:31 pm Hmm, I pinged nest in the tutorial, but I don't seem to be able to do it on missions. Do I need a tool or do the nests have to be on the wall or something?

I'm still at 0/5 pinged nests. What am I doing wrong? I'm never given the option to ping them.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:24 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:31 pm Hmm, I pinged nest in the tutorial, but I don't seem to be able to do it on missions. Do I need a tool or do the nests have to be on the wall or something?

I'm still at 0/5 pinged nests. What am I doing wrong? I'm never given the option to ping them.
Nevermind (again), I found this page of instructions.
Jag

Post by Jag »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:57 pm
Jag wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:37 am
I finally got down the mechanics of the rescue and managed to do three in a row :D. The ones I'm having problems with are the ones that tend to draw in every nasty beast on the map, the one about setting explosives especially. I hate having to defend it from so close to the target. This objective type is definitely one that's easier with teammates. However, I finally did managed to do an entire mission of three areas successfully. Sadly I don't know how much longer I'll be playing this solo as I'm really reaching my limit.
Defend missions are the worst for solo play. Almost impossible to come away unhurt. There is an interesting barricade mechanic that every operator can do that lets you barricade windows and holes. Doing that and closing doors makes it easier to defend a location.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Played a little bit (thanks Gamepass) and I am not sure I am into it. I'm also playing solo and let's just say I am getting plenty of opportunity to improve my rescue mission performance.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Again, comparing my solo actions to the two guys I went on a mission with, I never saw them crouch, use the recon drone, close a door behind them or set up a barricade. Maybe they were that good? Meanwhile, I crouch, scout with drone, always close doors behind me and use barricades if there isn't a convenient door. I'm getting better at missions like the MIA Extraction where I can isolate from the bad guys, but something like the Elite Hunt is just an invitation to get clobbered. I might stick with this because I just unlocked San Francisco, but like other Ubisoft shooters, they tend to add too many bells and whistles to the gameplay.

I'm really hoping for a new Ghost Recon game from them, or maybe a new Rainbow Six series focuses on the single player. Yet somehow I just don't think it's going to happen :?