Jaymon Writing

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymon

Re: Jaymon Writing

Post by Jaymon »

I have a new short story based on the recent snowpocalypse that hit the country. This one is not a joke story, but something a little darker.

Snowfall
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I loved it!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Getting "drunken sailor" into the first paragraph is quite a literary achievement.

And I take it you meant "heart" racing not heat.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Oh SNAP! spell check don't catch none of that
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Put this one up on Easter.

https://vocal.media/fiction/the-lost-egg

Its a scary sort of story, about what happens if all the eggs are not found.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

In other news, I have completed a story about a forest witch, and submitted it to a magazine for review. I'll let ya'll know in a while when I get my rejection letter.

Here is an excerpt for your enjoyment.

----

I awoke to a vision of stars. They swam before my eyes as a great pool of dazzling lights. Eagle stood beside me, gradually coming into focus. The stars were real. I had not seen them in months, not since I read their message. I lay upon a bare spike of rock, cold seeping into my bones. All around was a sea of mist, another spike of rock visible in the distance. I threw back my head and cast my mind outward, seeking to read the stars once again.

Eagle spoke to stop me, “There is no need Human. The message written in the stars remains unchanged.”

“Where is the rain?” I asked, surprised at the quietness of my words and noticing a weakness in my lungs.

“We are above the clouds. You cannot stay long. There is something else you must see. Look to The Moon.”

There she was, hanging on the horizon. I had not seen her in so long. I raised my arms in greeting, closed my eyes to welcome her embrace, and still felt none in return. Opening them again, I realized I was staring upwards into space. The Moon, she was not in her rightful place. There was an emptiness in the sky, and she yearned to reach it. I looked to Eagle, but he stood silent and proud. I looked back to The Moon, seeking wisdom.

Suddenly a spear of cancerous fire flew upwards from the clouds, striking The Moon. Violent lightning worms slithered from the impact across her face forming a web of chains around her. I felt her shudder now. I had not felt it below, shielded under the clouds. But here on the mountain, face to face, I could feel her pain. Light from the web of chains faded, but I feel their effects linger. She was trapped, motionless, caught like a spider’s waiting feast.

“The Humans” said Eagle, the ice in his tone colder than the granite, “Have built a MACHINE”.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The stories I have out to magazines are still circulating through the reject/submission cycle. Its super exciting.

In the mean time, I have two new works published on my vocal page for your potential enjoyment.

Baked Beans About a regular guy working in a coffee/weed shop who is unknowingly granted 3 wishes.

It was a typical Seattle Snowfall.

Flakes plopped into the ground like dirty dish rags in a truck stop diner. Out of towners worriedly checked the forecast while locals donned an extra layer of flannel. But more importantly, at least to Jake, this meant the buses would be running late.

The Crack A more literary work about an old man on a farm

Morning crashed through the window, stabbing his face with searing rays. His flapping arm flipped the phone end over end to the vinyl floor. Grumples of age accompanied his crackle back as he cranked up to sitting. The sun was early. Or the phone was late. It silently mocked him from the floor, its downward face denying him the torment of knowing the time.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:14 pm The stories I have out to magazines are still circulating through the reject/submission cycle. Its super exciting.

In the mean time, I have two new works published on my vocal page for your potential enjoyment.

Baked Beans About a regular guy working in a coffee/weed shop who is unknowingly granted 3 wishes.

It was a typical Seattle Snowfall.

Flakes plopped into the ground like dirty dish rags in a truck stop diner. Out of towners worriedly checked the forecast while locals donned an extra layer of flannel. But more importantly, at least to Jake, this meant the buses would be running late.
Great story, though one sentence stumped me for a second: “I am cancer free baby!” Zam said, hopping their but into the barista counter.

I assume you meant "their butt onto..."
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

ahh yeah, I am unclear how many t's are needed in butt
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

“Don’t get involved. It’s a curse not a gift, never act on what you learn. And never ever listen to the voices in your head.”

The Curse of Knowing
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Great story, a real "page turner" with an unexpected ending.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I responded to a challange "Write the first chapter of the next Great American Novel"

I put together something set in modern times. No fantasy, just regular folks who's only option is "struggle"

https://vocal.media/chapters/delivery-u43t0b7n
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I created something in response to the prompt "write a story with music as the main focus."
With this being October, I added just a bit of spookyness.
I hope you all enjoy.

https://vocal.media/fiction/rhythm-soul
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Its been a while, but here is something new.

https://vocal.media/fiction/a-van-sweet-holiday

I wanted to do a bit of a twist on the hallmark holiday movie genre.

Its a heartwarming tale of downhome country cooking.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Jaymon wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:39 am Its been a while, but here is something new.

https://vocal.media/fiction/a-van-sweet-holiday

I wanted to do a bit of a twist on the hallmark holiday movie genre.

Its a heartwarming tale of downhome country cooking.
I enjoyed this, although ...
Spoiler:
I didn't need a trail of breadcrumbs to know how it was going to end!
I like how you paint a vivid scene without overdescribing things, and how you infuse humor and personality throughout.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Thnk you for the compliments.

You might be surprised by how many readers have been shocked by the ending. Not everyone follows the bread crumbs. Hmm, maybe I should have included bread crumbs.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Jaymon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:26 am Thnk you for the compliments.

You might be surprised by how many readers have been shocked by the ending. Not everyone follows the bread crumbs. Hmm, maybe I should have included bread crumbs.
That is interesting. I wonder if those readers ...
Spoiler:
weren't familiar with the story of Hansel and Gretel, or just didn't make the connection.

Me, I was like, guy, do not get onto that horse, do not go back there, the mayor even warned you. And at the first mention of the bakery, I was like, well, we're done.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

A story I posted last week was selected by the editors of Vocal as a top story for the month.

This is a fairly short work, but very intense. Based on the prompt : The doors of the ark slam shut, but are you on the right side? Last Ark
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:11 pm A story I posted last week was selected by the editors of Vocal as a top story for the month.

This is a fairly short work, but very intense. Based on the prompt : The doors of the ark slam shut, but are you on the right side? Last Ark
Congrats! Great story.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:53 pm
Jaymon wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:11 pm A story I posted last week was selected by the editors of Vocal as a top story for the month.

Congrats! Great story.
Yes, congrats this was a good read.

I was briefly confused by the overlapping Jays here.
Conform or be cast out!