Dragon's Dogma 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rumpy

Re: Dragon's Dogma 2

Post by Rumpy »

I guess I should mention or remind anyone that there's a Dragon's Dogma animated series on Netflix.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:18 pm I guess I should mention or remind anyone that there's a Dragon's Dogma animated series on Netflix.
Yes, but they haven't bought the 2 yet.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:05 am I always double the hours it takes others to complete games. I get easily sidetracked while playing and will wonder off for hours doing nothing but sightseeing or fiddling around. Also, I’m an idiot.
As do I. I've always found 'X hours of gameplay' to be useless.

Some people are focused and avoid side activities, some people are completionists, some people see games merely as a math problem, some people play for suspension of disbelief, some people like to get through games as quickly as possible, some people skip dialog, some people read every document and sign to learn the lore, and some people like to stop along the way and literally admire the scenery. Get a completionist who likes to learn the lore and enjoy the setting (this is me) and they'll take five times as long as a focused dialogue skipper who likes to finish.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:50 pm
As do I. I've always found 'X hours of gameplay' to be useless.
As someone who doesn’t tend to wander very much in game, I simply like to use it as a general guideline. There’s typically several other games that I’m interested in playing and I’m not someone who can multitask games (especially RPGs) so I like to get at least some sense of roughly where I’m at.

Interestingly, DD2 is proving it may be the exception to that rule. I’m at 30 hours and level 39, and do t think I’m anywhere near done yet. There appears to be an entire zone that I haven’t even touched yet and I’ve most just been running around doing a bunch of random quests and exploring.

Also, I haven’t looked at Coop’s spoiler but my title screen still doesn’t say “2” yet. 😂
Last edited by Skinypupy on Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I think I got hit with a "bad jank" moment. I decided to bite the bullet and make the very long trek into a new zone for my next main quest objective. I got about halfway there and my main pawn just...disappeared. She was there one battle, and the next she wasn't. She didn't die (I didn't get the constant beeping sound that you get when a pawn is downed), she simply vanished. When I hit the start menu, it shows my main character, then a blank space, then my two hired pawns.

My understanding is that if your main pawn dies, all their gear gets transferred to your inventory. That certainly didn't happen (she was carrying all the camping kits and when I just tried to rest it said "you cannot rest without a camping kit") so I have no idea WTF happened here or why she's gone.

I ended up having to load my last Inn save (she reappeared), but that means I just lost a couple hours of progress. :evil: This game can be infuriating sometimes...
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I took the plunge on this game even though I rarely play anything new and I didn’t have any idea this existed until a few days ago. I’m excited to get some playtime after work today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So I beat this today...I guess? Ending spoilers:
Spoiler:
Beat the final dragon and saw the credits roll, but talked to the spirit dude and he put me back on the dragon's back to fight it again. I still didn't know WTF I was supposed to do, so I ended up fighting him a second time. Seemed like a really weird loop so I read up on it and learned that during his flying monologue, you're supposed to crawl underneath him and use that special sword to stab him (not that the game really gives you any indication of this, mind you). That starts the true "end game", but I don't think I'm nearly invested enough to mess with all that.
A couple random notes:
- I never did unlock the Mystic Archer class that I was really looking forward to
- I also never saw a Sphinx, which I kinda figured was a main plot point.
- Elite Camping Kits can break, which is super annoying.
- Harpies might be the most obnoxious enemy in any game ever.
- I still had huge areas of the map that I never saw. Maybe those are for New Game+?
- The game isn't great about letting you know you're wrapping up the story. It just sort of...ends.

Short review version: It's a brilliant world to explore. The game as a whole is also quirky, incredibly obtuse, and clunky as hell. Alternately thrilling and hair-tearingly frustrating. Story and characters are all laughably bad, but running around in the cool world mostly makes up for it. The ending felt hugely rushed and honestly pretty lame.

I'd probably give it a B+ overall. Fun game, glad I played it, and now I'm done with it. Finished at level 44, around 38 hours.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:19 pm - Harpies might be the most obnoxious enemy in any game ever.
Worse than cliff racers?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Work has been crazy enough that I haven’t played for a couple of days but when I get some time I’m going to start over. I really didn’t understand what I was doing early on and I missed quite a bit of exploration things that I want to visit before I progress the main quest too much.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm waiting for a performance patch. I was able to tweak it to run okay in the city, but I'd rather just wait and see what other tweaks they put out first. Oh well, plenty of other things to play in the meantime.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I decided not to start over. I started as an archer and didn’t click with the class or the pawn system right away. I have since switched to a fighter and I’m enjoying the combat much more now (although that might be because I’m more experienced with the systems and have more moves unlocked. I might have screwed up an important quest though. I wanted to do the unlock quest for warriors and sorcerers and had previously had a bad experience in the cave that I needed to go to for the quest items. When I went back the quest items were gone (aka - the chests had been looted).

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dramatist wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:23 pm I might have screwed up an important quest though. I wanted to do the unlock quest for warriors and sorcerers and had previously had a bad experience in the cave that I needed to go to for the quest items. When I went back the quest items were gone (aka - the chests had been looted).
You don't need to do the quest to get the unlocks. The quest just allows you to unlock them earlier.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

The more I play the more I love this game. I’m entirely sure why because so much of it is repetitive and the game starts off so slowly when you don’t know what you’re doing and have very little skills. But now the combat is so much fun when I have the right balance of pawns to compliment my Arisen.

I’ve been an archer the most but the archer is my least favorite class I’ve tried. I’ve almost maxed the fighter class but now I’m playing as a mystic spearman guy and this class is a lot of fun. Archery is only good for harpies.

I’m trying to explore everything I can but I’m working on some side quests too. I’d like to unlock the magic archer classes at some point but don’t know how to begin. I’ll probably look into it on YouTube when I get another day off in a few days.

It’s kinda funny because they could make this game so much better than it is just by having more types of enemies and better loot and an easier way to carry more loot and so many ways but it’s still the most fun I’ve had playing a game in a long time.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Accurate. :lol:

(Bonus: Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles music!)
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I got to play for about 45 minutes this morning and I wandered off the main road a bit and stumbled upon a griffon nest. It was a really cool moment and had some new nice loot.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I’m now about 75 hours played and I just maxed the magick archer profession. I’m really liking this profession. There’s a ricochet shot that you can fire off in a cave and kill most of the mobs before you even see them.

My pawn and I are both level 55 and I should probably start working on some of the story line quests again.

I’m still having a great time with this game.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:32 pm Accurate. :lol:

(Bonus: Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles music!)
The framerate drop was a nice touch.
It's almost as if people are the problem.