Cities: Skylines II

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

naednek

Re: Cities: Skylines II

Post by naednek »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:30 am
naednek wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:31 pm patch came out on gamepass. Big time improvement. I change my stance now on getting if you are interested. For some reason the gamebar from windows isn't showing the fps, but it's definetly faster and changed everything to high.
Is it the same version as steam version or steam has a newer patch after that one?
Should be the same as the first patch on Steam. But they just put out another on steam, where gamepass will be behind again. It's at least playable now. Seems like MS takes longer to greenlight
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
malchior

Post by malchior »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:59 pm
malchior wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:31 pm My take on the patch? The "optimizations" consisted of them dramatically lowering the visual quality. It's also now incredibly unstable. I had a single patch before the patch. Now it crashes once an hour. I had back to back crashes tonight and then it crashed on restart and the last save file was corrupted. I have checkpoints on so not a big deal but I'm pretty much at 'shelve it' until it gets fixed up stage.
Something like this seems to be endemic to AAA titles nowadays. After the patch my graphics are much better, the game runs at a faster fps and I haven't seen a crash yet. But other folks like malchior the patch seems to have made things worse. Weird.
I suspect the squished performance into a middle point. I have a 78003XD and a 4090. It looked great and pushed 30 FPS. After patch, there is significantly more pop in, the images are blurrier, etc but it runs about double frame rate. I'd take the former over the latter any day of the week. I expect sometime down the road, they may add "Ultra" settings or some equivalent that map into the settings from the launch.
malchior

Post by malchior »

naednek wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:01 am
Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:30 am
naednek wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:31 pm patch came out on gamepass. Big time improvement. I change my stance now on getting if you are interested. For some reason the gamebar from windows isn't showing the fps, but it's definetly faster and changed everything to high.
Is it the same version as steam version or steam has a newer patch after that one?
Should be the same as the first patch on Steam. But they just put out another on steam, where gamepass will be behind again. It's at least playable now. Seems like MS takes longer to greenlight
MS has their own QA process. Steam is straight Dev QA.

Edit: Also had the corrupt save again. I can tell it is crashing writing the Autosave. I can tell because it crashed in the middle of an activity - I was using the landscape tool and the brush is in the save screen shot - and it crashed then upon restarting. That's probably why there is another quick patch. I'll give that time to work it's way through MS and give it another try but this is on the shelf for now.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

The second patch is now available for gamepass/microsoft store version.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm The second patch is now available for gamepass/microsoft store version.
yep. it's been smooth since the 1st patch. My city is at 13k population, getting ready to cross the river to expand.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Still crashing. It's apparently a known issue (in the community) with the 4090. The theory is there is a memory leak on each frame rendered so the crashes are tied to the number of frames you are pumping out.The 4090 pumps out more frames even at the highest settings. Unfortunately the community fix isn't available to me. That involves capping the frame rate in the Nvidia settings. It doesn't populate correctly in the tool and is unselectable because of the GamePass copy protection. Whomp whomp. This is a weird problem because it stays broken until a reboot. I can fire up other games without an issue but Skylines stays cranky once it gets into this state.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

What if you try ending the task in task manager instead of rebooting?
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
mori

Post by mori »

I was doing good with my first city with a population over 50k, but then a rogue taxi decided to just stop and not move at a critical intersection and my whole city ground to a stop. I've deleted the road underneath him to get him to move and he just moves to the next patch of asphalt and jams it up again. How do I get rid of this SOB!? Devs should allow a player to delete problem vehicles and have them respawn elsewhere.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

No idea if tjis would work or if even possible, but could you just build an alt road around him and let him sit there as long as he wants?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

mori wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:16 pm I was doing good with my first city with a population over 50k, but then a rogue taxi decided to just stop and not move at a critical intersection and my whole city ground to a stop. I've deleted the road underneath him to get him to move and he just moves to the next patch of asphalt and jams it up again. How do I get rid of this SOB!?
Nuke. From orbit.
Holman

Post by Holman »

mori wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:16 pm I was doing good with my first city with a population over 50k, but then a rogue taxi decided to just stop and not move at a critical intersection and my whole city ground to a stop. I've deleted the road underneath him to get him to move and he just moves to the next patch of asphalt and jams it up again. How do I get rid of this SOB!? Devs should allow a player to delete problem vehicles and have them respawn elsewhere.
You've got to wait for the Repo Man DLC.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

So how is the game now? I was put off by the first-day dismay.

My PC was not quite state-of-the-art about three years ago, but I'm always willing to turn down settings for performance.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:50 pm So how is the game now? I was put off by the first-day dismay.

My PC was not quite state-of-the-art about three years ago, but I'm always willing to turn down settings for performance.
much better. Still some bugs, but performance wise it's playable.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

mori wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:16 pm I was doing good with my first city with a population over 50k, but then a rogue taxi decided to just stop and not move at a critical intersection and my whole city ground to a stop. I've deleted the road underneath him to get him to move and he just moves to the next patch of asphalt and jams it up again. How do I get rid of this SOB!?
Look for a tiny Michael Douglass.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
mori

Post by mori »

Ended up bulldozing several blocks until I got the nearest cell which could support traffic far enough away from the rogue cab that it despawned. Just had to rebuild and it was an opportunity to improve the area as well.
mori

Post by mori »

Frustrating that traffic AI is still so poor. It is like the developers all grew up in Minnesota. It is not that hard to zipper merge! :grund:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

mori wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:29 pm It is like the developers all grew up in Minnesota. It is not that hard to zipper merge! :grund:
:lol:
naednek

Post by naednek »

well, this was by accident. I wanted to make university center in Cities Skyline 2. After I finished laying the roads I just realized I made a grave mistakeImage

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Explain please.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Punisher wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:06 pm Explain please.
It's shaped like a tombstone.
Holman

Post by Holman »

No, you prepared the way for the most awesome frat culture of any university anywhere.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:28 pm
Punisher wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:06 pm Explain please.
It's shaped like a tombstone.
Thsnks.
I absolutely did not register that.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I realize the word "grave" threw people off. That wasn't the image I had in mine when I saw my mistake.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

naednek wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:13 pm I realize the word "grave" threw people off. That wasn't the image I had in mine when I saw my mistake.
You inadvertently created a pervert detector.

I also saw it your way... 8-)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:shifty:
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

baelthazar wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:01 pm
naednek wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:13 pm I realize the word "grave" threw people off. That wasn't the image I had in mine when I saw my mistake.
You inadvertently created a pervert detector.

I also saw it your way... 8-)
Ahhh. I see it now! It's a schooner!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Way Forward, an update from the team behind Cities: Skylines
We see and understand the disappointment many of you have expressed after the release of Cities: Skylines II and the recent release of Beach Properties. We asked for your patience and support, and you’ve shown those. In return, we let you down. We thought we could make up for the shortcomings of the game in a timeframe that was unrealistic, and rushed out a DLC that should not have been published in its current form. For all this, we are truly sorry. When we’ve made statements like this one before, it’s included a pledge to keep making improvements, and while we are working on these updates, they haven’t happened at a speed or magnitude that is acceptable, and it pains us that we've now lost the trust of many of you. We want to do better.

The very first thing we’re doing is to compensate those who purchased Beach Properties. We will change the pack to be a free addition to the game, refund it to the extent possible, and provide additional content within the Ultimate Edition. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to offer refunds for Ultimate Edition buyers. This is due to the distribution of the Ultimate Edition across digital and physical storefronts, which create significant complexities for executing a partial refund. We realize that this is far from ideal, especially given the dedication those who have stayed with us since launch have shown. We are committed to repaying that loyalty, and therefore, we will compensate Ultimate Edition holders by adding 3 Creator Packs and 3 Radio Stations which, together, sum up to a value of USD 39.99. This solution hopefully ensures that you, regardless of purchase method, feel you receive fair compensation.
See the article for the rest
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yikes.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, they are certainly good at saying sorry. But sometimes sorry doesn't really matter. They need to deliver.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dad wrote:Sorry doesn't fix it.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it was Paradox who rush-rushed Colossal Order to push this out before it was complete, correct?

Paradox's insistence on making *everything* DLC is not helping matters.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:27 pm
Dad wrote:Sorry doesn't fix it.
Dad nailed it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

He's a pretty smart guy.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Did they ever fix the optimization or does it still run like a hog. I heard one of their "solutions" was to just make max city sizes smaller.
naednek

Post by naednek »

baelthazar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:49 am Did they ever fix the optimization or does it still run like a hog. I heard one of their "solutions" was to just make max city sizes smaller.
Performance wise, it runs much better. I hear when you get into the 400K's it starts to slog.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My problem with the game wasn't performance based. I started to detect the fake Industry layer under it all, and it all just fell apart in my mind.

Also, there was some major goofey/hackey stuff with city garbage you could do if you just never once addressed it (seemingly).