Georgia v. Trump

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Georgia v. Trump

Post by Blackhawk »

Octavious wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:40 pm 91 felonies and everyone is still circling the wagons around him. He really could just murder someone and it wouldn't matter.
Echo chambers.

Zero felonies, but millions of desperate Democrats who are so afraid of Trump that they'll make up a 91 false charges hoping that one will stick.

And that's been the message for years, and it is the only message they ever hear.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

There are occasional GOPers calling for publicly renounce Trump, but none of the front-runners have the balls to do so, not even DeSantis.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:36 pm These are state charges, no? President can only pardon federal crimes, no?
Kemp is GOP, the question is which way's leaning.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kasey Chang wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:19 pm
RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:36 pm These are state charges, no? President can only pardon federal crimes, no?
Kemp is GOP, the question is which way's leaning.
Hodor.
milo

Post by milo »

The Governor of Georgia lacks the power of the pardon, even for state crimes. They have a separate dedicated “pardon board” for that. But in the case of a RICO conviction, the board cannot recommend a pardon until after the mandatory minimum five year sentence has been completed.
--milo
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

When I watch this circus all I can think of is Trump riding the GOP into oblivion.

Enlarge Image
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
stessier

Post by stessier »

Counterpoint - everything in Georgia is RICO.

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Given that GOP had lost dozens of these fights in various courts across the states, one wonders what sort of "fake news" has Trump cooked up for the "press release" for this indictment. Guess we'll have to see!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

He'd love to release the totally exonerating insider information, but he is currently under audit.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:54 am Counterpoint - everything in Georgia is RICO.
So it's like RICOINO
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:05 pm He'd love to release the totally exonerating insider information, but he is currently under audit.
Ding!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:00 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:05 pm He'd love to release the totally exonerating insider information, but he is currently under audit.
Ding!
Now his lawyers are his out-

https://abcnews.go.com/US/trumps-legal- ... =102336380
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well if there's one thing we can count on it's that he's really good at listening to lawyers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:01 pm Well if there's one thing we can count on it's that he's really good at listening to lawyers.
My guess is he'll just replay the Pillow guy's conference from a couple of years ago. So much winning, it's Bigly.
FTE
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

It seems the supporters are threatening to kill the judges and the Georgia grand jurors now.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna100239
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Trump’s Sturmabteilung.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Popehat's second podcast this week on this topic is a must listen. They had a GA lawyer on and got some good information on GA law. Big takeaways - the trial is a LONG way off and the indictment stretched the law in ways that should make us very uncomfortable.

Oh, and it is not possible to pardon anyone in GA until 5 years after they complete their sentence. There is a medical provision for people over 62.5 years old, but it's generally used to prevent the prisons from having to pay for medical care.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

stessier wrote:Popehat's second podcast this week on this topic is a must listen. They had a GA lawyer on and got some good information on GA law. Big takeaways - the trial is a LONG way off and the indictment stretched the law in ways that should make us very uncomfortable.

Oh, and it is not possible to pardon anyone in GA until 5 years after they complete their sentence. There is a medical provision for people over 62.5 years old, but it's generally used to prevent the prisons from having to pay for medical care.
Yeah, that podcast was an interesting listen for sure.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Jack Smith’s pending case is the one to watch. I’m skeptical of the GA case.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trump’s bond in Georgia election interference case set at $200,000
Under the terms of the "consent bond order" filed in court Monday afternoon, Trump agreed to the bond amount on charges that include racketeering, criminal conspiracy, criminal solicitation, filing false documents and making false statements.

The order was signed off on by Superior Court Judge Scott McAfee. The order, which was signed by Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis and Trump's attorneys, says that Trump "shall perform no act to intimidate any person known to him or her to be a codefendant or witness in this case or to otherwise obstruct the administration of justice."

It also says the "Defendant shall make no direct or indirect threat of any nature against the community or to any property in the community; The above shall include, but are not limited to, posts on social media or reposts of posts made by another individual on social media."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

So what happens when he violates it later today?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The “norms” police will kick in and say he shouldn’t do that.

And with that kind of pressure, he will stop/retract.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:07 pm So what happens when he violates it later today?
Dog the Bounty Hunter.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:07 pm So what happens when he violates it later today?
I don't know how courts work with money, but my hope is that a $200,000 bond means that they have access to Trump's funds and can slap additional fees onto him that he cannot contest.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
waitingtoconnect

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:35 pm
Dog the Bounty Hunter.
He’s a hardcore Trump fan. Trump Jnr wants him to be… head of the reformed FBI under the Trump Imperium.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:07 pm
I don't know how courts work with money, but my hope is that a $200,000 bond means that they have access to Trump's funds and can slap additional fees onto him that he cannot contest.
That’s not how it works. He buys a bond I. The amount of $200K. How much the bondsman charges depends on what he sees as the risk of a default.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Kurth wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:21 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:07 pm
That’s not how it works. He buys a bond I. The amount of $200K. How much the bondsman charges depends on what he sees as the risk of a default.
Or in Trumps case, Trump himself can simply post the 200K with the Clark of Courts. If he somehow violates the bond then the State can move to have his bond revoked and depending on the reasons can ask to have his bond forfeited to the state. The forfeit only usually happens when they abscond.
FTE
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Scraper wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:37 am Or in Trumps case, Trump himself can simply post the 200K with the Clark of Courts.
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
I know that's Fletch and not Clark Griswold, but I wanted the "pointing to himself" picture.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Scraper wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:37 am Or in Trumps case, Trump himself can simply post the 200K with the Clark of Courts.
<Insert Griswold joke here>
edit: damn, bammed!

:lol:
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:40 am
Enlarge Image
Spoiler:
I know that's Fletch and not Clark Griswold, but I wanted the "pointing to himself" picture.
Doh! I'm not going to fix that typo, it would ruin the joke.
FTE
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Scraper wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:03 am Doh! I'm not going to fix that typo, it would ruin the joke.
Joke is preserved for all time in Lawboy's quote! There's nothing you can do. *evil laugh*
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Chesebro asked for a speedy trial. Fani Willis says "OK, let's try everyone October 23!". The judge OKs the trial date just for Chesebro as of now, and Trump wants his case separated from everyone else.
Hodor.
waitingtoconnect

Grifman wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:21 pm Today’s mug shots:

https://x.com/jeremynewberger/status/16 ... NcXCfN8s1g
Is it just me or are they all coming out looking like serial killers?

The smirks on some make me think of the joker.

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/news ... he-camera/

We really live in clown world.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Trump replaces top Georgia lawyer ahead of surrender
In replacing Drew Findling with Steven Sadow, an Atlanta-based attorney whose website profile describes him as a “special counsel for white collar and high-profile defense,” Trump is adding an attorney who has previously challenged the state’s broad RICO law, under which Trump and his 18 co-defendants have been charged.

Sadow filed paperwork Thursday morning to formally represent the former president in the case.

A Trump source indicated that this was not about Findling’s performance, while another familiar with Sadow called him the “best criminal defense attorney in Georgia.” Trump’s other Georgia attorney, Jennifer Little, is expected to stay on the legal team and work with Sadow.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Willis take Meadows to the cleaners:
Defendant Mark Randall Meadows has asked this Court to remove his
criminal case from the Superior Court of Fulton County to the Northern District of
Georgia. Because the defendant faces charges that do not arise from conduct under
the color of his office, and because he can offer no plausible federal defense, the
State of Georgia respectfully requests that this Court remand the case to the Superior
Court of Fulton County.
The defendant is the former Chief of Staff to the President of the United
States, and his lack of care for the lawful scope of his official duties is a matter of
record. Federal law prohibits employees of the executive branch from engaging in
political activity in the course of their work....

The report concluded that, “[f]rom OSC’s perspective, the administration’s attitude
toward Hatch Act compliance was succinctly captured by then-Chief of Staff Mark
Meadows, who said during an interview that ‘nobody outside the Beltway really
cares’ about Trump administration officials violating the Hatch Act.”2
It is therefore unsurprising that the defendant now petitions this Court to
remove the prosecution of his pending criminal case, in which he stands accused of
participating in a criminal enterprise that conspired to overturn Georgia’s 2020
election in favor of Mr. Trump, invoking his status as a former federal officer. The
defendant’s indictment in this case results directly from his disregard for the lawful
scope of his official duties, a disregard which now forms the basis of his Notice of
Removal. Indeed, the defendant has now expressly stated that all of his relevant
conduct was impermissible political activity. Because the defendant was not acting
within the lawful scope of his federal authority during any of the activity described
in the indictment, and because he can offer no plausible federal defense for his
actions, the State of Georgia respectfully asks that removal not be permitted in this
case.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trump just self reported himself as 6’3”, 215 lbs at his surrender in Fulton County.

😂 😂 😂

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If I was President Trump I wouldn't have posted the bond. :lol:
Who knew you could have demands that people would meet, we'll be ready next January. LMAO
waitingtoconnect

He didn’t he went through a bail bondsman! How many (real) billionaires do that.
Holman

Post by Holman »

By the time we get to the actual trials, Trump will be 6'9" and 175 pounds.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.