Georgia v. Trump

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Georgia v. Trump

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:43 pm I feel like we need separate threads for the various cases.
Georgia prosecutors have messages showing Trump’s team is behind voting system breach
Atlanta-area prosecutors investigating efforts to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia are in possession of text messages and emails directly connecting members of Donald Trump’s legal team to the early January 2021 voting system breach in Coffee County, sources tell CNN.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis is expected to seek charges against more than a dozen individuals when her team presents its case before a grand jury next week. Several individuals involved in the voting systems breach in Coffee County are among those who may face charges in the sprawling criminal probe.

Investigators in the Georgia criminal probe have long suspected the breach was not an organic effort sprung from sympathetic Trump supporters in rural and heavily Republican Coffee County – a county Trump won by nearly 70% of the vote. They have gathered evidence indicating it was a top-down push by Trump’s team to access sensitive voting software, according to people familiar with the situation.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Re: Fulton County v. Trump

Post by malchior »

The court appears to have accidentally published a docket that indicated charges against Trump...before the grand jury voted. Not good at all.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh no! The MAGAs are sure to leave their rational, calm demeanor behind and claim the system is fixed!

I sure hope they can stay open minded!

Perhaps they should meet in the 10's of thousands and take a peaceful tour of the facilities?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

10 indictments forthcoming from Fulton County. TBD as to what they are, but at least one is related to the 2020 election probe.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Jeffrey Clark is in this batch.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Indictments include Trump, Clark, Giuliani, Chesebro, Eastman, Powell, Ellis, and Meadows.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:53 pm 10 indictments forthcoming from Fulton County. TBD as to what they are, but at least one is related to the 2020 election probe.
Here you go
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

He did the RICO.
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW looking at this I get why it was taking a long time - this is pretty complicated. I'll wait to see if maybe...too complicated.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Holy crap that's a lot of charges. Bummer for all those people that can't be pardoned even if he gets into office. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:04 pm He did the RICO.
Blackhawk

Re: Georgia v. Trump

Post by Blackhawk »

RICO Act.

I'm giggling a little inside.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

In two or three months Georgia republicans will rescind the prosecutors appointment based on the law they just passed and the charges will be dropped. Trump will crow and we will all feel sick in our stomachs.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hipolito wrote:
Truly a wondrous day. We’ve been waiting for this day for years.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
waitingtoconnect

How long do we really think the prosecutor will last in her office? It’s not going to be long.

Trump is not going to face a judge on these charges.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Yes he will.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hipolito wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:25 pm
Was just coming to post this. This vid made me laugh so much. :lol: :lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:49 am How long do we really think the prosecutor will last in her office? It’s not going to be long.

Trump is not going to face a judge on these charges.
The law goes into effect in 8 weeks but my read is that the committee the law creates to review prosecutors doesn't begin meeting until June 2024. Plenty of time for this to at least get far enough along that even firing a prosecutor might not help.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:00 pm Indictments include Trump, Clark, Giuliani, Chesebro, Eastman, Powell, Ellis, and Meadows.
Jenna Ellis too!

RICO carries a minimum 5 year sentence. Bet there are more than a few plea deals coming out of this. No pardons can save them if convicted.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Takeaways from the Fulton DA press meetung:

-arrest warrants have been issued for all 19 defendants
-all charged have until August 25 to turn themselves in
-Willis will seek to try all of the defendants together
-Willis will request that the trial occur within the next 6 months
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

How did Lindsay Graham avoid indictment?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Because he only did enough to look like he was trying to do something. :P It's amazing to me how many people have thrown their lives away for this freaking moron.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Grifman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 am -Willis will request that the trial occur within the next 6 months
Saw a legal expert* last night say that this was ludicrous. Since she wants to try them all together, having 19 defendants in a complicated RICO case will not happen in 6 months barring a lot of pleas or splitting them into multiple cases.

* I will not vouch for the qualifications of a TV legal expert who appears on CBS at 10:30 pm CDT.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:05 am
Grifman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:36 am -Willis will request that the trial occur within the next 6 months
Saw a legal expert* last night say that this was ludicrous. Since she wants to try them all together, having 19 defendants in a complicated RICO case will not happen in 6 months barring a lot of pleas or splitting them into multiple cases.

* I will not vouch for the qualifications of a TV legal expert who appears on CBS at 10:30 pm CDT.
I agree as a total non-lawyer. I read that that is why Jack Smith only indicted Trump - for now. As to not tie things up with all the other defendants. But I guess we will see.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:45 am How did Lindsay Graham avoid indictment?
Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Grifman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:10 am

I agree as a total non-lawyer. I read that that is why Jack Smith only indicted Trump - for now. As to not tie things up with all the other defendants. But I guess we will see.
She might as well have said she’s aiming for a trial in 6 weeks or 6 days. There’s no way this happens in 6 months. That’s ridiculous!

We’ll probably still be waiting on a decision on Trump’s motion to remove to federal court in 6 months.

Love that she wants to be aggressive, but I do not understand putting out a timetable that’s so obviously not going to happen.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Apparently Trump has irrefutable evidence that he will be showing on Monday that the election was rigged. He was just sitting on it waiting for the perfect time apparently. :P

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Probably a letter signed by the President himself, with the Presidential seal and everything! It even used five different colored crayons!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Would trying them together be “incentive” for one or more defendants to rethink their loyalties and separate themselves from the Trump 19 by cooperating with the DA? Inquiring non-legal minds want to know.

I also hope this “irrefutable” evidence meets the standard of libel or defamation so Trump can have another day in court. Would be interesting if he went after Dominion Voting Systems. They could dust off parts of their Fox News litigation playbook.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:17 pm Probably a letter signed by the President himself, with the Presidential seal and everything! It even used five different colored crayons!
Or one black sharpie.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

$iljanus wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:21 pm

Would trying them together be “incentive” for one or more defendants to rethink their loyalties and separate themselves from the Trump 19 by cooperating with the DA? Inquiring non-legal minds want to know.

I also hope this “irrefutable” evidence meets the standard of libel or defamation so Trump can have another day in court. Would be interesting if he went after Dominion Voting Systems. They could dust off parts of their Fox News litigation playbook.
I'm not a litigator and I don't have experience with criminal law, so it's just speculation on my part. I don't know whether there is any material difference in leverage whether they're tried altogether, in groups, or individually. I suspect the prosecution sees value in lumping everyone together and that's why they say that's what they're going to do. I think (but am not sure) that individuals can move for separate trials if they can show evidence that being lumped into the larger group will prejudice their defense somehow.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So maybe a tactic to try and get them to turn on each other and/or him?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, I think it'll be down to four or five unflipped defendants by the time the trial commences.

There are two scenarios for all of these people:

1) Hope that Trump wins re-election and that he'll pardon you.
2) Cut and deal and save their skin.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Holman wrote:Yeah, I think it'll be down to four or five unflipped defendants by the time the trial commences.

These are state charges, no? President can only pardon federal crimes, no?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
waitingtoconnect

Thats ordinary presidents. Maga-presidents can pardon with their thoughts alone.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm fact, he's already done it, I hear. Just the Greatest Pardons, believe me.
Holman

Post by Holman »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:36 pm
Holman wrote:Yeah, I think it'll be down to four or five unflipped defendants by the time the trial commences.

These are state charges, no? President can only pardon federal crimes, no?
That's true.

But I assume that an emboldened 2nd-term Trump can make anything happen at the GOP state-government level that he wants to see happen.

(And I know that Georgia has a board of pardons rather than simple Governor pardons. I still think the point stands.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This is fun.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

91 felonies and everyone is still circling the wagons around him. He really could just murder someone and it wouldn't matter.