The King in Yellow (Game Over!)

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

Scoop20906

Re: The King in Yellow (Day 1)

Post by Scoop20906 »

Lagom Lite wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:18 am
Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:00 pmLagom: if art student has a play and reads it tonight and then is visited by the alienist via his scan. What is the order of events? Does the person read it, then gets committed by the alienist or does the alienist confiscates the play and the player stays sane and in the game?
Night Orders happen simultaneously, but Night Order effects happens at the end of Night.

In the scenario you describe above, the Alienist scan would therefore show Sane (since the target hasn't yet been affected by his reading). The Play would stay in the art student's possession and is not destroyed.
I understand better now. For some reason I thought the alienist was looking for the play at night but he only grabs the play after a insane scan. Wow.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Players:
1. Punisher
2. Unagi
3. Moliere
4. Newcastle
5. Holman
6. Scoop20906
7. Isgrimnur
8. Lassr

Vote tally:
Isgrimnur 0 (Scoop20906, Unagi, Unagi, Scoop20906)
Moliere 1 (Newcastle)

Majority is 5.
But you've seen who's in heaven
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

(Patching some holes):

Added: Committed players have all their Copies of the Play destroyed, if they still hold any.

Added: Committed players cannot hold Copies of the Play. Committed players cannot be given Copies of the Play.

Added: Murdered players cannot be given Copies of the Play.

Added: If a player is Committed to the Asylum or Murdered, their Role is revealed to all players.
Is there anyone in hell?

"Lagom you are a smooth tongued devil, and an opportunistic monster" - OOWW Game Club
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Scoop20906 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:24 am
Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:00 pmLagom: if art student has a play and reads it tonight and then is visited by the alienist via his scan. What is the order of events? Does the person read it, then gets committed by the alienist or does the alienist confiscates the play and the player stays sane and in the game?
Night Orders happen simultaneously, but Night Order effects happens at the end of Night.

In the scenario you describe above, the Alienist scan would therefore show Sane (since the target hasn't yet been affected by his reading). The Play would stay in the art student's possession and is not destroyed.
I understand better now. For some reason I thought the alienist was looking for the play at night but he only grabs the play after a insane scan. Wow.
That's not how I read the role, the alienist just scans someone at night and sees if they are 'insane', they don't ever grab a copy of the play or even know if the person they scanned has one or not.

Right?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(This isn't really to Lagom, but about this reply - but if I'm totally off, feel free to correct me)

So the alienist, if I'm reading this all correctly, - has two nights where they will only find 'sane' people.
Night 0, no one even has a copy of the play yet.
Night 1, at best someone now has a copy of the play from Night 0 - and reads it, but they still are not insane until the morning.

that sorta makes the alienist's scans always a 'day behind' and any insane player will get rid of their 'copy', so they are not caught with it (right?). So, wouldn't most of the Alienist's scans of "sane" be of questionable accuracy and their scans of "insane' be of questionable actionable value?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Self-correction here on the rules... an Insane Student cannot 'Destroy' their copy of the play... they must copy/share it each night.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:17 pm

(This isn't really to Lagom, but about this reply - but if I'm totally off, feel free to correct me)

So the alienist, if I'm reading this all correctly, - has two nights where they will only find 'sane' people.
Night 0, no one even has a copy of the play yet.
Night 1, at best someone now has a copy of the play from Night 0 - and reads it, but they still are not insane until the morning.

that sorta makes the alienist's scans always a 'day behind' and any insane player will get rid of their 'copy', so they are not caught with it (right?). So, wouldn't most of the Alienist's scans of "sane" be of questionable accuracy and their scans of "insane' be of questionable actionable value?
These rules are so different I apologize if I am referencing rules incorrectly. Trying to wrap my head about these night actions.

And yeah, the alienist scans are kind of worthless since a player goes insane almost immediately after they get back a "sane" scan at least this early in the game.

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. Sane scan is worthless mostly, mainly because this is a game with conversions. Funny I didn’t read it quite like that at first, but what we have is an alpha wolf that ‘asks’ players to join the wolf team. And then a Cupid who cannot control anything beyond making wolves from her extra lovers.

It’s all a race against the wolves all wolving up.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Originally I thought the Muse had the hardest path to victory but now I think the Alienist has the hardest path. I assumed originally he could search for plays at night but even that is limited if the player hasn't read the book yet and gone insane. What if we came up with a strategy to search the same player's house each day and therefore let the play spread but we don't read them until everyone has a play?

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If you’re gonna go anti-wolf, you probably need to be quiet about it, or else you will be murdered at night.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Scoop20906 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:56 pm Originally I thought the Muse had the hardest path to victory but now I think the Alienist has the hardest path. I assumed originally he could search for plays at night but even that is limited if the player hasn't read the book yet and gone insane. What if we came up with a strategy to search the same player's house each day and therefore let the play spread but we don't read them until everyone has a play?
Of course Hildred Castaigne would love this plan. It plays right into their plans but it seems like the safest path to inspiration and victory. The muse path is actually pretty dangerous. I find it really hard for the Muse if no one tries to seduce them then they have no path to victory at all.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:56 pm If you’re gonna go anti-wolf, you probably need to be quiet about it, or else you will be murdered at night.
Uh... I kind of screwed myself there.

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Scoop20906 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:02 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:56 pm If you’re gonna go anti-wolf, you probably need to be quiet about it, or else you will be murdered at night.
Uh... I kind of screwed myself there.
I d9nt think so.. the obly wolf position i see is hildred. He is the only one who can kill at will.
He also wants as many insane people as possible so your plan to just have everyone read the book together works in his favor.
In fact, the game can end where everyone wins except the alienist.
1 art person agrees to be inspired by the muse. They ate inspired.
The rest of the art people agree to grab a book but not read it until the last night. In the morning they are all insane. Game ends.
Muse wins because she has one inspired lover. That lover wins because they ate inspired.
Hildred wins because all the other art students are insane.
Those same students win because they are inspired. Yes insane too but they aren't committed.
Only the aluenist loses.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Holman

Post by Holman »

Scoop20906 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:59 pm
Scoop20906 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:56 pm Originally I thought the Muse had the hardest path to victory but now I think the Alienist has the hardest path. I assumed originally he could search for plays at night but even that is limited if the player hasn't read the book yet and gone insane. What if we came up with a strategy to search the same player's house each day and therefore let the play spread but we don't read them until everyone has a play?
Of course Hildred Castaigne would love this plan. It plays right into their plans but it seems like the safest path to inspiration and victory. The muse path is actually pretty dangerous. I find it really hard for the Muse if no one tries to seduce them then they have no path to victory at all.
On the other hand (if I read the rules right), a Student who successfully seduces the Muse gets Inspired without going Insane, and thus is safe from being committed by the Alienist. An insane Student can be eliminated by Hildred or by the Alienist, while a sane Lover can only be eliminated by Hildred. If the Lover survives to the end, they win.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Since today (Day 1), no one (except the Alienist) is Insane, almost the only thing our lynch can do is destroy someone's copy of the book. If the lynch targets the Alienist, he will be eliminated (Committed to the asylum).

Seems like there's little downside in just picking a rando to lynch today. The most likely result is that we learn that they are not the Alienist because they're sane.

I rolled an 8-sider. Let's try

Lassr 

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:33 pm Since today (Day 1), no one (except the Alienist) is Insane, almost the only thing our lynch can do is destroy someone's copy of the book. If the lynch targets the Alienist, he will be eliminated (Committed to the asylum).

Seems like there's little downside in just picking a rando to lynch today. The most likely result is that we learn that they are not the Alienist because they're sane.

I rolled an 8-sider. Let's try

Lassr 

My mental dice landed on you! I think you are a safe vote for today anyhow.
 Holman 

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:33 pm Since today (Day 1), no one (except the Alienist) is Insane, almost the only thing our lynch can do is destroy someone's copy of the book. If the lynch targets the Alienist, he will be eliminated (Committed to the asylum).
Let's agree on the game rules first. (And maybe I'm wrong, but please show me)

Our lynch does not destroy a copy of the play. Where do you see that written?

And the Alienist is not committed to the asylum unless he also happens to be holding onto a book, a copy that must be thrust upon him by Hildred.

I think that's right. Tell me I'm wrong, if I am.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:34 pm On the other hand (if I read the rules right), a Student who successfully seduces the Muse gets Inspired without going Insane, and thus is safe from being committed by the Alienist.
Don't lose sight of the fact that if some 'other Student" also eventually seduces the Muse, she will be forced to start turning all but 1 insane.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:49 pm
Let's agree on the game rules first. (And maybe I'm wrong, but please show me)

Our lynch does not destroy a copy of the play. Where do you see that written?

And the Alienist is not committed to the asylum unless he also happens to be holding onto a book, a copy that must be thrust upon him by Hildred.

I think that's right. Tell me I'm wrong, if I am.
Day

As madness begins to spread throughout Paris and rumors of a dangerous book called “The King in Yellow” reach the authorities, the police begin a program of mass searches and detainments.

Each Day, players must vote to Search a players’ home, using the “accuse” tag. When a majority is reached, all copies of the Play that the accused player owns are destroyed. If the player had a copy of the play in his possession, he is additionally revealed to be either Sane or Insane. If the player is revealed to be Insane, he is Committed to the Asylum and removed from the game.
Maybe I am not reading your statement correctly but if we "lynch" someone with a book that book is destroyed.

This does beg a question. If a play gets the book, reads it and then either has it stolen or passes it to another play, then when he is "lynched" without having the book (but is insane) is he safe? Does the having the book only cause the player to be scanned for insanity?

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One can have the book and never become insane. But that doesn’t meet the win condition for arteests. One of them needs to read the book and survive until the end, else they’re going to die in the streets from tuberculosis.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Scoop20906 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:50 am.
This does beg a question. If a play gets the book, reads it and then either has it stolen or passes it to another play, then when he is "lynched" without having the book (but is insane) is he safe? Does the having the book only cause the player to be scanned for insanity?
My understanding is yes. It basically makes them invulnerable unless the alienist happens to scan them or someone pushes a book on them AND the lynch happens right after it.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Players:
1. Punisher
2. Unagi
3. Moliere
4. Newcastle
5. Holman
6. Scoop20906
7. Isgrimnur
8. Lassr

Vote tally:
Moliere 1 (Newcastle)
Lassr 1 (Holman)
Holman 1 (Lassr)

Majority is 5.
Is there anyone in hell?

Holman

Post by Holman »

Unagi wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:53 pm
Holman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:34 pm On the other hand (if I read the rules right), a Student who successfully seduces the Muse gets Inspired without going Insane, and thus is safe from being committed by the Alienist.
Don't lose sight of the fact that if some 'other Student" also eventually seduces the Muse, she will be forced to start turning all but 1 insane.
Ah, right. But that just leaves them in the same position they would be in from reading the book.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

My first reaction when folks started talking about revealing their night actions was my inner Gollum recoiling "No, not my precioussssssssss...."

Kind of a weird WW reflex in play. Happy to disclose that info if needed. Watching folks pontificate about the rules and such. Figure today's a crap shoot and not a lot to glean..yet. Unless someone admits they are....insane in the membrane!
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just to move the day along...

Moliere 

If I'm right, nothing will happen with this but I'm open to switching of people want.
I'm also open to being the day 1 guinea pig if people want.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman 

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Holman

Post by Holman »

No biggie if you lynch me. I'll just come up sane, and I don't have a copy of the play.

withdraw Lassr 

Holman 

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Actually I prefer this:
 Holman 

Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I simply can't resist the peer pressure of Scoop & Holman

withdraw Moliere  

holman  

Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Sure i can get in that.

withdraw Moliere  

Holman  

Anyone know if it's possible to add an accuse button? It's taking me a couple of minutes of typing, previewing, editing, previewing, etc.. to get it right sometimes.
Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Players:
1. Punisher
2. Unagi
3. Moliere
4. Newcastle
5. Holman
6. Scoop20906
7. Isgrimnur
8. Lassr

Vote tally:
Holman 5 (Lassr, Moliere, Holman, Scoop20906, Newcastle)
Moliere 1 (Newcastle, Punisher, Newcastle)
Lassr 0 (Holman, Holman)

Majority is 5.

Voting is closed.
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Re: The King in Yellow (Night 1)

Post by Lagom Lite »

A Fruitless Intrusion

Some things in this life are complex and difficult to understand. Do the inherent conflict between labor and capital lead inexorably to revolution and overthrow of the ruling class? Can Modernist thought exist side by side with religion without dooming society to moral Subjectivism or cynical Nihilism? Do our choices in life matter in the end or do we all just act out a demented play, our conscious will a mere illusion, guided by super-deterministic forces outside our personal control?

Regardless, the duties of the Parisian Gendarmerie do not belong in the realm of such subtleties. Their task is simple and straightforward, and while their unnuanced methodology leave searched homes upended and littered, their visits fill many citizens with a certain amount of reassurance - some Apollonian order to balance out the Dionysian chaos of these last few weeks. Perhaps there is another fate for Paris than to descend into madness and horror?

Having thoroughly searched the apartment of Holman, confiscating a few volumes of yellow-jacket salacious Decadent novels but finding nothing of interest otherwise, the Police mutter a few apologetic platitudes and begin lumbering back out into the street.

“I told you,” Holman says to the Capitaine as he leaves, “I have nothing to hide.”

Holman did not own a Copy of the Play.

It is Night.

Players:
1. Punisher
2. Unagi
3. Moliere
4. Newcastle
5. Holman
6. Scoop20906
7. Isgrimnur
8. Lassr

Art Student without the Play: Will you Steal, Seduce or do nothing?
Sane Art Student with the Play: Will you Read or Destroy the Play?
Insane Art Student with the Play: Who will receive a new Copy of the Play?

Muse: Will you Write someone or not?
Muse with at least two Lovers: Will you drive a Lover insane or not?

Alienist: Will you Analyze someone or not?

Hildred Castaigne: Will you Copy the Play to someone, Murder someone or do nothing?
Is there anyone in hell?

Holman

Post by Holman »

Lagom Lite wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:06 am Having thoroughly searched the apartment of Holman, confiscating a few volumes of yellow-jacket salacious Decadent novels but finding nothing of interest otherwise, the Police mutter a few apologetic platitudes and begin lumbering back out into the street.

“I told you,” Holman says to the Capitaine as he leaves, “I have nothing to hide.”
"...But I must insist, sir, that you return my porn!"
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Holman wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:38 pm
Lagom Lite wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:06 am Having thoroughly searched the apartment of Holman, confiscating a few volumes of yellow-jacket salacious Decadent novels but finding nothing of interest otherwise, the Police mutter a few apologetic platitudes and begin lumbering back out into the street.

"...But I must insist, sir, that you return my porn!"
Sorry. it's evidence now.
Lagom Lite

Re: The King in Yellow (Day 2)

Post by Lagom Lite »

Day 2

Looking down from Tour d’Eiffel, recently erected for the World’s Fair of 1889, one is struck by how serene the city may seem when viewed from great height. Peaceful. Tranquil. Dying.

But in truth, great cruelty and ruthless ambition lurks beneath. Who can tell what horrors wait behind the curtains, poised to enter the stage of mortal theatre? All men perish sooner or later, the question is only how. Deep down, the citizenry of Paris know they are doomed, but they go through the motions all the same.

Lethargically but dutifully, the Police continue their search for radical propaganda. Will they be able to stem the tide?

It is Day.

Four Sane Art Students remain!

Three Copies of the Play are currently in circulation!

Before the game can proceed into Night, a voting majority to Search a player’s home must be reached. Voting is done with the “accuse” tags.

Players:
1. Punisher
2. Unagi
3. Moliere
4. Newcastle
5. Holman
6. Scoop20906
7. Isgrimnur
8. Lassr

Vote tally:
No votes yet
Last edited by Lagom Lite on Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Is there anyone in hell?

Lagom Lite

Post by Lagom Lite »

Sorry about the mid-game patching, but I've decided to add some more displayed information to give players more to discuss during the Day:

Added: Each Dawn, show a tally of the number of Sane Art Students are still active players (when 0, game is over).

Added: Each Dawn, show a tally of the number of Copies of the Play currently in circulation (when 0, game is over).

I've now retroactively edited the posts for both Day 1 and Day 2 to show those tallies.
Is there anyone in hell?

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Lagom Lite wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:27 pm It is Day.
Ok, this is important information. It means either someone read the play or were driven insane by the muse. Its more likely someone got the book on the first night and then read it last night (wasn't me) but it is possible the muse got seduced by several players on the first night and decided to drive one insane last night.

So whoever is insane is going to try to stay off the lynch today. I'm thinking it make sense to vote for Holman again today unless he refuses. With three books out there this could be over quickly.

I'd like to hear from everyone on this opinion of events.

Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Scoop20906 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:36 pm
Lagom Lite wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:27 pm It is Day.
Ok, this is important information. It means either someone read the play or were driven insane by the muse. Its more likely someone got the book on the first night and then read it last night (wasn't me) but it is possible the muse got seduced by several players on the first night and decided to drive one insane last night.

So whoever is insane is going to try to stay off the lynch today. I'm thinking it make sense to vote for Holman again today unless he refuses. With three books out there this could be over quickly.

I'd like to hear from everyone on this opinion of events.
I wonder which is more likely.
Multiple people randomly and successfully seduced the muse right away or Someone got a book on day 1 and read it last night. I'd think book is most likely.
If it is myse than as long as that player doesn't also have a copy of the book they are safe. If it's book related they dont want to get searched today and personally dont see an issue skipping them if they speak up.
If im right, there is no downside for them to speak up to try to avoid a lynch
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Punisher wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:44 pm
I wonder which is more likely.
Multiple people randomly and successfully seduced the muse right away or Someone got a book on day 1 and read it last night. I'd think book is most likely.
If it is myse than as long as that player doesn't also have a copy of the book they are safe. If it's book related they dont want to get searched today and personally dont see an issue skipping them if they speak up.
If im right, there is no downside for them to speak up to try to avoid a lynch
Night Actions
Each Night, the Alienist may choose to Analyze a player to determine whether they are Sane or Insane. An Analyzed player who reads as Insane is also immediately Committed to the Asylum.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I do agree that
 Holman 

is a good choice again today. Odds are he did not read the play last night...

Black Lives Matter