THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

Building a PVR... Need help/advice/hand-holding/massage....

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tjg_marantz

Building a PVR... Need help/advice/hand-holding/massage....

Post by tjg_marantz »

Hi gang,
I am sick and tired of VHS tapes warping and sounding awful after 5 uses. I am done with them, screw it. So I am looking to build a PVR. I have a spare computer so I am set on that side.
My problem is with the hardware and understanding everything I need to make it work. I am on satellite which I know changes things and also my TV is not an HDTV, just a plain jane older 27" TV. I am going home for lunch to check on an S-video plug back there(don't even know if it's important or not).
I have been reading about the Hauppage 250 and 350 and some ATi products but from what I can tell, capturing the signal to my PC is the easy part. But some just stop there and then say burn them and whatever. I also want to be able to replay on my TV what I have recorded. I can go the DVD recorder route but I would like something that will just allow me to record, pause, whatever on to my PC and then I can turn around and watch what is on my HD on the TV.
Could you please recommend something(Hauppage, ATI, whatever) that will allow me to do this.
I will try to answer any questions on my setup as best I can.

Thank you! :)

edit: I have no s-video connector in the back of my TV, just the regular video and audio out ports(yellow, white, red wires)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I have used the ATI All-In-Wonders in the past, and am currently using a hauppauge 150-MCE.

The pros of the All-In-Wonder:
  • Allows a lot of conigurability and options when capturing (type of encoding, bit rate, etc).
  • Pretty good software. It allows recording, pause while watching, etc.
Cons:
  • Because it's at least partially software encoding, it needs a high CPU/memory to work, and I wouldn't recommend multitasking while recording (but I didn't really have a high end CPU when I was using it).
  • Upgrading the video card is more expensive. I've heard that the standalone ATI TV cards aren't as good as the All-In-Wonder.
  • on rare occasions, people have had problem with sound syncing (although thats usually with older audio cards, from what I understand).
Hauppauge:
Pro:
  • Hardware encoding, meaning it uses very little of the CPU. Quality appears to be good.
Con:
  • Not much in terms of configuring of encoding files except for a few preset sizes.
  • The software that comes with it is awful.
If you get a Hauppauge, you're going to need a third party software. I've tried a couple (the demo of Beyond TV and Media Portal) and they're ok - they'll do what you want them to do (to different extents, but I do have issues with them). Honestly, if you're just interested in making a PVR, I would recommend the Hauppauge cards and some third party software.

If you're going to play from the computer to the TV you'll need a TV-out, either on the video card or the tuner. I know the All-In-Wonder has a TV out, but I'm not sure about the Hauppauge offhand, and you may need a Svideo to whatever cable converter. I've not had any experience with TV-out, so I can't really help you there.

To record to DVD to play on a standalone DVD player, You'll need DVD writer and DVD software - I've had no problems with Nero to make DVD-Videos.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Gracias!

From what I understand the Hauppage 350 is th eone that comes with the TV out functionality as well so I could watch on my TV what I recorded.

So with your 150, you just record, burn to DVD and then watch? You don't go from your PC recorded show back to the TV directly? Am I correct in my understanding? :)

Thank you again.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

tjg_marantz wrote:Gracias!

From what I understand the Hauppage 350 is th eone that comes with the TV out functionality as well so I could watch on my TV what I recorded.
You may want to check if your current video card offers TV-out. Many (most?) recent cards tend to offer it.
So with your 150, you just record, burn to DVD and then watch? You don't go from your PC recorded show back to the TV directly? Am I correct in my understanding? :)
Well, I usually watch TV/DVDs on my computer - I record to DVD for storage, not for viewing on TV. So I might timeshift and watch the local news sometime after it airs and then have it deleted, but I occasionally archive stuff to DVD. Usually, I don't even bother to make a DVD-video out of it, I'll just record the mpg file by itself (which won't make it usable in standalone players), but I have made a number of DVD-videos. However, if you're just interested in using the computer as a PVR, and not interested in saving stuff you record, TV-out definately sounds like the way to go - burning a DVD video just to watch a show once is a definate waste of time.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Oh, and another thought. ATI is coming out with a new version of their TV tuners (using a Theatrix(?) chip). Supposedly, the quality of capture is very good. At this point, only a stand-alone tv-tuner card (released by Sapphire) has been released (aboiut a month ago). So far, it has poor software, and not all the third party software works with it, but that may change in the future. It may, or may not be worth looking into this card, but as things stand currently, I would still recommend the hauppauge.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

If you are on dish network, you can get the dish pvr for free, I believe. ($5 a month fee, though). It works great and is super easy.

If you want to use a pc, you'll need an ir blaster to send a signal to the satellite from the pc to change the channel or you'll need to program the sattellite to change the channel manually. You can get them on ebay fairly cheap ($30) and you can find software free. I had cable when I was doing the pc dvr thing so I never used one.

You'll also need a video card with tv out. For this, you can get a cheap ATI Rage or TNT card so long as it has tv out. Most of the cards with tv out are either composite or they have an svideo to composite adapter. Then, you need a cable to connect your sound out to your tv. Generally, it is a 3.5mm plug on one end and two rca jacks on the other. About $5 at radio shack (if that).

Finally, you'll need something to capture the video. A good, cheap solution is to get this model from Leadtek http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 180&depa=0. It includes software and a remote and works pretty well. The Hauppage cards are probably a better choice but are also more expensive.

There is a lot of other software that is available for cards and you will probably want to look into it when you get into it more.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Whatever you decide, do it before July 1. Broadcast flag, you know.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I was looking more and more at the PVR-350 by hauppage which has the TV out functionality and seems to be a complete solution, for Sat included.

Anyone have any dealings with it?

Again, thanks all for your help :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Whatever you decide, do it before July 1. Broadcast flag, you know.
:o :shock: Thanks for the warning. Stupid FCC. :evil:
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Oh yeah, I forgot to put that as well, thanks for the warning :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I've been thinking about getting the 250 or actually the 150 since I do have a TV out card in my spare comp right now but it's an old ati 8 meg card and I just don't think it'll do the job...
Home of the Akimbo AWPs