THANK YOU! 2024 Fundraising Completed - $2095 / $2000 CDN for the year, June/July Renewal. Paypal Donation Link US dollars

[New Game Idea] Cosa Nostra

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

stessier

[New Game Idea] Cosa Nostra

Post by stessier »

Yes, I've been busy. :) There has to be an easier way to summarize this information - it's really not that complicated - but I couldn't think of anything. Comments are once again appreciated.

Cosa Nostra - "our thing" - was the term an informant used to describe what we today call the Mafia. This game will give everyone a chance to see what life is like as part of a Family.

The Family Structure
  1. Capofamiglia - The head of the family
  2. Consigliere - Trusted advisor to Capofamiglia
  3. Caopdecina - Lieutenants in charge of up to 3 soldiers
  4. Soldiers - Full members of the family
  5. Associates - Considered nothing more than "tools" or "nil" by the Family

The Authorities
  1. Inspector - Out to bring the family to justice
  2. Undercover Cop - Assistant to the Inspector
  3. Snitch 1 - Player who chose working with the Authorities over prison
  4. Snitch 2 - Player who chose working with the Authorities over prison

Only the Capofamiglia, Consigliere, Inspector, and Undercover Cop exist at the start of the game. All other players are Associates.

Full Explanation of the Roles

The Family
  1. Capofamiglia
    • Can PM with any member of the family at any time, but reveals his role in so doing
    • Raises any player to Consigliere when necessary
    • Scans for Inspector once per night
    • Role must always exist.
      • If Capofamiglia is arrested or killed, Consigliere is raised to this post
  2. Consigliere
    • Can PM with Capofamiglia and Capodecina
    • In charge of Capodecina
      • Can raise any player to rank of Capodecina once per day
      • Can introduce Capodecina to each other
      • Instructs Capodecina on which players to pick as soldiers
    • Scans for Undercover Cop once per night
    • Role must always exist.
      • If Consigliere is arrested or killed, Capofamiglia raises any player to this post.
  3. Capodecina
    • Can PM Consigliere and Soldiers assigned to them at all times
    • Can PM any other Capdecina once introduced by the Consigliere
    • In charge of up to 3 Soldiers
      • Follows the Consigliere's orders for choosing Associates to be Soldiers
      • Whenever possible, must have a full compliment of 3 Soldiers assigned at all times
      • Can introduce Soldiers to each other
    • Scans for Snitch once per night from among Soldiers assigned to him
  4. Soldier
    • Can PM with assigned Capodecina at all times
    • Can PM with any other Soldier once introduced by Capodecina
  5. Associates
    • Aspire to become a member of the family
    • Can not PM with anyone
    • Can become a Soldier by being a "Made Man"
      • If the kill vote on any day's lynch is an Associate, the Associate is a "Made Man" and immediately granted access to the family
      • The Consigliere must assign a "Made Man" to a Capodecina
      • If all Capodecina are at capacity, a new Capodecina must be created to take on this Soldier

The Authorities
  1. Inspector
    • Can PM with Undercover Cop at all times
    • Each night, receives a PM from all Snitches
    • Scans for Capofamiglia once per night
    • Once a night, can arrest a Player OR make a Player a Snitch
      • If Player is arrested, they are removed from the game
      • If Player accepts offer to work for Authorities, Player becomes a Snitch
    • Can never have more than 2 Snitches working for him at any time
  2. Undercover Cop
    • Can PM with Inspector at all times
    • Scans for Consigliere once per night
    • Directs arrests if Inspector is dead
      • Cannot create Snitches
      • Cannot receive PM's from Snitches
  3. Snitch
    • Wins with The Authorities
    • Created when a Player accepts the Inspectors offer to work for The Authorities rather than go to prison
    • Once a night, can send the Inspector the name and position of one Player they have contact with in the family

Order of Operations for Night
  1. Inspector receives PM's from Snitches
  2. Authorities perform arrests OR create Snitch
  3. All Family positions are filled
  4. All scans are resolved
Upon lynch, it will be announced if the Player was:
  1. Loyal to the family
  2. A member of the Authorities
Victory Conditions:
  1. Family wins when all Authorities are eliminated
  2. Authorities win when their number equals or exceeds the number of Family members
Last edited by stessier on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Remus West

Re: [New Game Idea] Cosa Nostra

Post by Remus West »

You have time for all these new games but can not find the time to watch Bladerunner?! For shame. :wink:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:You have time for all these new games but can not find the time to watch Bladerunner?! For shame. :wink:
I can think up games during lunch. I think they would frown on me dimming the lights and popping in a DVD. :lol:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

fascinating stessier. i'd be in on this one as well. still figuring the mechanics of it out.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
theohall

Post by theohall »

This sounds crazy, but interesting as in the Chinese saying.

So the goal to becoming a Made Man is to be the "kill vote" on the lynch. This one screams for a hard deadline for lynch votes. Otherwise folks will wait and wait and wait to vote for a lynch. You're also going to have the vote/withdrawal/vote thing trying to become that last vote.
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

stessier wrote:
Remus West wrote:You have time for all these new games but can not find the time to watch Bladerunner?! For shame. :wink:
I can think up games during lunch. I think they would frown on me dimming the lights and popping in a DVD. :lol:
So you get a portable player, headphones, sneak into the mens room with a towel. drape it over your head in a stall and occasionally make grunting noises.
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Chaosraven wrote:
stessier wrote:
So you get a portable player, headphones, sneak into the mens room with a towel. drape it over your head in a stall and occasionally make grunting noises.
Waaaay to well thought out. This is something you have put thought into.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
stessier

Post by stessier »

Remus West wrote:Waaaay to well thought out. This is something you have put thought into.
I'm sorry, that sentence combination is just hysterical. Did you forget to delete one when posting? :lol:
stessier

Post by stessier »

theohall wrote:So the goal to becoming a Made Man is to be the "kill vote" on the lynch. This one screams for a hard deadline for lynch votes. Otherwise folks will wait and wait and wait to vote for a lynch. You're also going to have the vote/withdrawal/vote thing trying to become that last vote.
There are two ways into the Family
  1. Made Man (an Associate who places the last vote)
  2. Hand picked by Consigliere and assigned to a Capodecina
Since the Capodecina's hunt for Snitches, I figure there is an incentive for the Capofamiglia and Consigliere to create them. Once created, a Capodecina must have 3 Soldiers assigned whenever the numbers allow. So people should be able to get into the family pretty easily and be PM'ing in no time. :)

The Made Man is there just in case someone gets impatient - or a member of the Authorities want to be sure to get caught. :P

I was thinking about a deadline just to keep the game moving. I like how Lassr's worked.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

stessier wrote:
Remus West wrote:Waaaay to well thought out. This is something you have put thought into.
I'm sorry, that sentence combination is just hysterical. Did you forget to delete one when posting? :lol:
Meant to say put effort into. :oops: