[Shovelware] Why bad stuff come along with good stuff?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Kasey Chang

[Shovelware] Why bad stuff come along with good stuff?

Post by Kasey Chang »

Take a look at any shovelware collection. Usually you get a couple hits, AND a couple duds, roughly 50/50 ratio.

For example, let's take Racing 5 Pack from Globalstar/Take 2. It comes with

* Muscle Car 76 -- junk
* 4x4 Evo -- good
* Excessive Speed -- meh
* Jet Boat Championship -- junk
* Motorcross Mania -- good

Very rarely do you find a shovelware collection that includes mostly GOOD games or ALL GOOD games.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
yossar

Re: [Shovelware] Why bad stuff come along with good stuff?

Post by yossar »

Kasey Chang wrote:Very rarely do you find a shovelware collection that includes mostly GOOD games or ALL GOOD games.
That's because they can sell those separate. But how else are you going to get rid of a crap game if not bundle it with something good? And even if a game sucks it still adds some value to a bundle, if only subconsciously ("Wow, 5 games for the price of 1!")

Like those game services from Yahoo or something that has 100+ games for one low monthly fee. Sure, there's only a handful of games that are worth paying money for, but being able to play all of the crappy games essentially for free is a somewhat nice bonus.
JayG

Post by JayG »

You get some great compilations here in Europe.

Gold Games 7 PC-CD

SW Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast, Morrowind, Ghost Recon, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Racing Sim 3, Will Rock, The Partners, Largo Winch, Duke Nukem Manhattan Project und IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles!

30 Euro

Gold games 8

Beyond good and evil, X3, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia 4, Lords of Everquest, Pirates of the Carribean, Lock On, Biathlon 2004, and Mercedes Benz World Racing.

30 Euro
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

As stated above, why sell 5 good games together for $30 when they could sell well separately at $10 each? Now add your scenario of 2 good and 3 junk games at $10 and $5 accordingly. Sold separately they would total $35 but not may people would buy the bad games, so they sit on the shelves...but together, they can be sold for $30 because of the good games making the deal seem beter than separate purchases. This way the company moves some of the bad product as well.
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Don't forget that sticking 5 CDs in sleeves into one box is much cheaper to put together than 5 seperately packaged games. Retailers love it because it takes up less shelf space (as do distributors because they don't have to fight for 5x the shelf space).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
yossar

Post by yossar »

I remember back in the day I got a bundle with Ultima 8, Syndicate+expansion, Wing Commander 2, and one other game. Wing Commander 2 was a bit dated at the time, but still a decent bundle.
FFG909

Post by FFG909 »

The reason is, these "Combo" packs are a way for publishers to get their backcatalogue products out there.

Generally its not really because they suck, or that they even know they suck. They just grab a stack of their back catalogue crap, throw it on a compilation, and toss it out.

The value is in the number of titles "Wow, 7 games for $9?" impact with marketing. These packs actually sell really well for publishers, expect to see more of them.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

JayG wrote:You get some great compilations here in Europe.

Maybe not.
Gold Games 7 PC-CD
SW Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast, Morrowind, Ghost Recon, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Racing Sim 3, Will Rock, The Partners, Largo Winch, Duke Nukem Manhattan Project und IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles!30 Euro
Let's see, that's Great, Great, Great, Okay, Huh? Junk, Hunk, Huh?, Junk, Great. So, still, 50/50 ratio.
Gold games 8 -- Beyond good and evil, X3, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia 4, Lords of Everquest, Pirates of the Carribean, Lock On, Biathlon 2004, and Mercedes Benz World Racing. 30 Euro
Great, okay(?), Great, Okay, Okay, Okay, Good, Ahem, Okay.

So that's, three or four good titles, bunch of okays, and not so good stuff. Still, proves me right. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
yossar

Post by yossar »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Gold Games 7 PC-CD
SW Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast, Morrowind, Ghost Recon, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Racing Sim 3, Will Rock, The Partners, Largo Winch, Duke Nukem Manhattan Project und IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles!30 Euro
Let's see, that's Great, Great, Great, Okay, Huh? Junk, Hunk, Huh?, Junk, Great. So, still, 50/50 ratio.
I didn't know there was a PC version, but the PS2 version of Tony Hawk 3 is great.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Well, not all compilations suck. I'm lucky enough to own the Ultimate RPG Archive:

Bard's Tale Trilogoy w/ Contruction Set
Ultima Underworld 1 &2
Wasteland
Stonekeep
Might & Magic: Xeen Combo
Dragon Wars
Wizardy 7 Gold

Next to that, The Lost Treasures of Infocom Vol 1 doesn't suck either.

Otherwise, yes, they like to dilute the good with a few bad titles.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Interplay's Ultimate Strategy Archive was also pretty darn god:

Civilization
Railroad Tycoon Deluxe
X-Com
Heroes of Might and Magic
Conquest of the New World Deluxe
Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
MAX
Dark Colony

There's a couple of huh?s, but there are also a few of the best games ever.
driver

Post by driver »

I thought the Paradox Strategy Pack looked fun...

Hearts of Iron
Victoria
Europa Universalis II
Europa Universalis II - Asia chapter
Two Thrones
Crown of the North
lokiju

Post by lokiju »

Jeez, I didn't realize there were so many great packs. I haven't seen many of them in stores by me. Where do you usually find these items? Even at my Best Buy ad Circuit City multi-packs seem limited.
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

lokiju wrote:Jeez, I didn't realize there were so many great packs. I haven't seen many of them in stores by me. Where do you usually find these items? Even at my Best Buy ad Circuit City multi-packs seem limited.
My CompUSA has one of the better (maybe the best) PC game sections around town, and I think they usually have a lot of those packs. Otherwise, online via ebgames.com, Amazon.com, etc. is a good place to find them. They can be hard to search for unless you know the "name" of the pack, though.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
DCL

Post by DCL »

About 2 years or so I got a racing pack that I loved. Aside from one, Nascar 2000, I thought all the rest were great!

Need For Speed III Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed
NASCAR 2000
Superbike 2001.

Not 100 percent but for me the other 75 percent was more then acceptable for the one dud. :) (esp Porsche Unleashed)

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGamer. ... w/001RACM2
caesarbear

Post by caesarbear »

while perhaps old as the hills this pack is a good one for anyone who doesn't already hae them.
Super Strategy 4 Pack
Risk II, Civilization II, Majesty Gold, Age of Empires Gold for $10