The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:05 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:48 pm Great courage of Murkowski to say she agrees with Mattis but is still undecided if she’ll support Trump. You agree he’s a threat to democracy but still might support him? WTF?
It was cowardly in my opinion and I didn't even consider how Trump doesn't do nuance. You're all in or your out. You can't disagree with him on anything because he is that small a person so of course he went on the attack. I guess we'll see if she falls back in line quickly or not.
For less than $100, you can send her a spine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Dominating the battlespace.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 pm This doesn't make me feel much better. This is the part where they back off a little and seize the opportunity elsewhere. Another consideration is they built their little green zone over the last few days and filled it with various Trump loyal rando police forces. Maybe that's good enough for now.

I posted in the other thread but works here too. They failed their audition for Trump. Others are working out better. The Guards are still just a bit too American.

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
malchior

Post by malchior »

Another comforting comparison.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:11 pmI read it. We'll see if I passed my sanity check. I might be losing it because things are looking real cosmic right now.
You can actually see the letter's author shedding his skin in paragraph two and devolving completely into a Deep One.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Not sure exactly where this goes, but All The President's Lawyers (podcast) this week was all about the Insurrection Act and Posse Comitatus. Ken was in charge (as his cohost was on vacation) and he interviewed an expert in the area. It was a really interesting lesson in the history of the two, how they've been used in the past, and what a president can do with them. Highly recommend it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
raydude

Post by raydude »

Paingod wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:05 am
malchior wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:11 pmI read it. We'll see if I passed my sanity check. I might be losing it because things are looking real cosmic right now.
You can actually see the letter's author shedding his skin in paragraph two and devolving completely into a Deep One.
I like how the writer focused on Trump's previous 3 years re: helping African-Americans. I like to think it's because even his subconscious mind can't reconcile that Trump is absolutely failing in his fourth year.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Mmm. Trump finally got his wall. At least 1.7 to 2 miles of it.
Black Lives Matter

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't know what everyone is so upset about, what with the median income in the US being $150,000.

(Yeah, he actually said that)

Trump says America’s median family income is $150K per year.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:28 pm I don't know what everyone is so upset about, what with the median income in the US being $150,000.

Bring out the Picard facepalm.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I especially love the lady to his right who simply nods in agreement the entire time. :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enough wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:28 pm I don't know what everyone is so upset about, what with the median income in the US being $150,000.

malchior

Post by malchior »

Enough wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:28 pm

What could a banana cost? $10?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:36 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:08 am Senile tweeting aside, the whole point of Trump's "Social Media Summit" is to pressure Facebook/Twitter/etc to stop banning or filtering white supremacists.
USA Today
A federal court judge restored Playboy magazine reporter Brian Karem’s press credentials after they were revoked by the White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham last month.

In a Tuesday decision in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, Judge Rudolph Contreras said that Karem’s First Amendment rights outweigh the interest the White House has in “maintaining order.”
NY Times
A federal appeals court on Friday blocked the Trump administration from imposing a 30-day suspension on the White House press pass of a reporter for trading caustic and blustering comments with Sebastian Gorka, a right-wing commentator who worked briefly in the White House, after an event in the Rose Garden last year.

In a 19-page ruling, a three-judge panel of the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit said the suspension of the credential for Brian Karem, a reporter for Playboy Magazine, violated his constitutional rights because the White House had no written rules or advance notice about what would constitute unprofessional behavior that could temporarily cost him his press pass.

The ruling upheld an earlier injunction blocking the move that had been issued by a Federal District Court judge. The Justice Department had appealed.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This won't likely help for 2020 but we deserve answers to this and a ruling that shows the President can't hide corruption.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:44 pm
Enough wrote:

A++++++

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Next: The Trumpler Youth.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This Twitter thread crosses a few of our topics, but since it's really originally focused on Trump, I guess I'll post it here:

Much of my work focuses on warning about authoritarianism and growing fascism, but we need to recognize reasons for hope.

We're not out of the woods yet, but we should acknowledge some massive gains while keeping an eye on persistent threats.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's coming out that Sec. Esper and Joint Chiefs chair Milley actually pushed back against Trump when he called for 10,000 active-duty troops to be deployed to D.C.
U.S. President Donald Trump told his advisors at one point this past week he wanted 10,000 troops to deploy to the Washington D.C. area to halt civil unrest over the killing of a black man by Minneapolis police, according to a senior U.S. official.

The account of Trump’s demand during a heated Oval Office conversation on Monday shows how close the president may have come to fulfilling his threat to deploy active duty troops in U.S. cities, despite opposition from Pentagon leadership.

At the meeting, Defense Secretary Mark Esper, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley, and Attorney General William Barr recommended against such a deployment, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. The meeting was “contentious,” the official added.
It's heartening to see at least one of the guardrails holding. If nothing else, it tells Trump that there are things the military won't do for him. If the Pentagon rolled over and just hoped for the best, there's no telling where it would end.

It'll be a bad sign if Esper gets canned for this. It'll be even worse if we see a Saturday Night Massacre of top generals.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Geez, if Barr doesn't want to do it, you know it's a bad idea.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Imagine being this emotionally fragile.

I have retained highly respected pollster, McLaughlin & Associates, to analyze todays CNN Poll (and others), which I felt were FAKE based on the incredible enthusiasm we are receiving. Read analysis for yourself. This is the same thing they and others did when we defeated...

..Crooked Hillary Clinton in 2016. They are called SUPPRESSION POLLS, and are put out to dampen enthusiasm. Despite 3 ½ years of phony Witch Hunts, we are winning, and will close it out on November 3rd!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Heh, it's hard to keep track of all Trump's insanity as I posted that in the 2020 election thread!

Speaking of Trump's insanity:

Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

There is truly no bottom.

Ever.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:14 am There is truly no bottom.

Ever.
George F. Will, libertarian-conservative political commentator since 1974, would like to remind you that Trump has no rock bottom. He can always go lower.
Black Lives Matter

Holman

Post by Holman »

How to lose the USMC vote in one tweet.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Here is some perpective. He is still in critical condition. Sometime soon maybe Trump will tell us he faked his own eventual death/brain damage from his cranial fracture.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I just had to go back to Page 60 of this thread to remember our innocence as Trump was being sworn in. 475 pages later, it feels like we're in a free-fall down a slide made of broken glass with no end in sight. Even the MAGAs in the forum have gone almost completely silent and everything every day just seems to be fresh outrage.
Black Lives Matter

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:54 am

How to lose the USMC vote in one tweet.
Should never have clicked on that link and read that article. Should never have read the comments. Ugh. The mental twisting to maintain those thoughts and positions must be excruciating.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Sigh...

A new House bill would prohibit presidents from using nuclear or strategic weapons to defuse a hurricane or "altering weather patterns."

The measure is a direct response to Trump's reported suggestion of using nuclear bombs to defuse tropical cyclones.
I get that this is mostly just tweaking Trump's nose, but the fact that it needed to be addressed in any form is just peak 2020.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:42 pmpeak 2020
In some weird way, I hope "That's so 2020" can describe a series of dogpiled disasters, actions, and insanity for the rest of my life. My hope is that I never hear it replaced with "That's so 2032" or "That's so 2048"...
Black Lives Matter

Formix

Post by Formix »

that's so 2021
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

No, no, no. No. No.
Black Lives Matter

Enough

Post by Enough »

Formix wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:16 pm that's so 2021
I thought it was 2022, since 2022 is 2020 too.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Imagine having a President this deranged, and not knowing whether he'll lose the next election.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Enough wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:52 pm
Formix wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:16 pm that's so 2021
I thought it was 2022, since 2022 is 2020 too.
What you did there. I see it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wait, are we trying to say 2020 won? And by we I mean won or more of ewe?