AIDS Healthcare Foundation: We're being censored!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Tareeq

AIDS Healthcare Foundation: We're being censored!

Post by Tareeq »

First Bill Maher, next Janet Jackson, now Phil the Sore.
The group behind an anti-syphilis commercial starring an irascible chancre named "Phil the Sore" says it will file a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission after Los Angeles broadcasters balked at airing the government-funded ad.

A spokesman for the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, which was rejected when it tried to run the ads during NBC's prime-time hit comedy "Will and Grace," and late-night programs, said the organization believes that affiliates were afraid to run afoul of the U.S. broadcast regulator.

In the commercial two shirtless men meet at a bar and go home together. They part the following morning, one clad only in underwear and an open bathrobe, as the blob-like pustule character "Phil" moves in -- bringing several friends toting boxes that read "brain damage," "rash" and "HIV pusher."
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Well I guess the question(s) would be:

Would the networks feelings be different if it was a straight people having a one-night stand? Would they be different if it was a sexually transmitted disease that had no association with homosexuality?

Personally it seems like a pretty dumb ad, as I can't imagine there is a gay man in America that isn't well aware of the dangers of unprotected sex with a random guy... plus PSA's are retarded and useless anyway.

But it certainly does smack or reactionary censorhsip...
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
WAW

Post by WAW »

I don't know we need to be reminded every 15 mins about ED cures. :wink:
You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!
WW
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:But it certainly does smack or reactionary censorhsip...
Sounds like the reaction is more avoiding poor taste than anything . . . the ad sounds pretty stupid if you ask me.

Grifman
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Grifman wrote:Sounds like the reaction is more avoiding poor taste than anything . . . the ad sounds pretty stupid if you ask me.

Grifman
C'mon Grifman, everybody loves anthropomorphic pustules!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Grifman wrote:Sounds like the reaction is more avoiding poor taste than anything . . . the ad sounds pretty stupid if you ask me.

Grifman
C'mon Grifman, everybody loves anthropomorphic pustules!
I know I do!

I can see the argument that the ad sucks and is in poor taste, etc... but I can't help but wonder whether the "poor taste" aspect that the networks are objecting to, is the fact that it implies gay sex, more than the aforementioned postule... as WAW pointed out, they don't really seem to have an issue promoting sex for people who can't get it up without medication.

If the ad was an anti-smoking ad and featured an anthropomorphic cancer cell, would there be an objection? It would still be stupid and useless, but somehow I don't think it would be considered in "poor taste".
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
Spock's Brain

Post by Spock's Brain »

Never mind the ED pills, I'm waiting for the Valtrex people to come up with an anthropomorphic herpes virus. I'm sure you've seen the ads where some skank floats around in some happy dream world, free from the sysmptoms of genital herpes (but still able to pass the virus onto her partner.) Now that's bad taste. :twisted:
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:Personally it seems like a pretty dumb ad, as I can't imagine there is a gay man in America that isn't well aware of the dangers of unprotected sex with a random guy...
The scary thing is that infections among young gay men are rising as people have come to see the disease as "manageable" and not-life-threatening, which of course is totally untrue. Sure, you can postpone the onset of AIDS, perhaps for a long time, but it'll still kill you. It's scary.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

Spock's Brain wrote:Never mind the ED pills, I'm waiting for the Valtrex people to come up with an anthropomorphic herpes virus. I'm sure you've seen the ads where some skank floats around in some happy dream world, free from the sysmptoms of genital herpes (but still able to pass the virus onto her partner.) Now that's bad taste. :twisted:
Glad someone else got pissed off about that commerical.. everytime I hear the broad say "And I've been outbreak free for over a year now" I just think in my mind "And spreading herpes onto your partner for that time too!" I wonder if he knows that the girl he is sleeping with has herpes, he looks a little bit too happy in that commerical...
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

God bless network descretion. The last thing I want to see when watching TV is the dangers in gay bar sex. The networks were looking out for me, and I appreciate that.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

McNutt wrote:God bless network descretion. The last thing I want to see when watching TV is the dangers in gay bar sex. The networks were looking out for me, and I appreciate that.
Did someone say gay bar?

http://rathergood.kewlio.net/flash/gaybar.swf
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
Eduardo X

Post by Eduardo X »

The Mad Hatter wrote:
McNutt wrote:God bless network descretion. The last thing I want to see when watching TV is the dangers in gay bar sex. The networks were looking out for me, and I appreciate that.
Did someone say gay bar?

http://rathergood.kewlio.net/flash/gaybar.swf
DUDE!!!!
Nice anarchist avatar! Viva el CNTFAL!

And Mcnutt, now that you're glad the networks look out for you, I'm sure you'll be angry every time the networks push heterosexuallity down our throats, right?

EDIT: It seems I misspelled "L"
ohh and here is your rolly eyes you lost em. :roll:
-AttAdude
Enough

Post by Enough »

Dude, you watch Will & Grace?!?! I would have never guessed! :twisted:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell