Indie "old-school" RPG - Eschalon: Book 1

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Dhruin

Indie "old-school" RPG - Eschalon: Book 1

Post by Dhruin »

I don't think I've seen a thread on Eschalon: Book 1. It's a 2D turn-based RPG with a look a little like a Spiderweb game (nicer art, IMO) and citing Ultima, Wizardy and M&M as inspiration.

RPG Codex did an interview here and we did one yesterday here.

From what I've seen, I'd like them to be a little more adventurous with things like quests and multiple solutions but skills like Cartography affecting the mini-map and Perception affecting the "dungeon master" descriptions sounds pretty nice.

Edit: the blurb from their site-

Basilisk Games is very pleased to announce our first title Eschalon: Book I, the start of an epic trilogy of computer RPGs created in the spirit of the great role-playing games of the past. Eschalon: Book I will take you across massive outdoor environments and deep into dozens of sprawling dungeons as you seek to uncover the mystery of who - or what - you are.

► Hundreds of items and dozens creatures to discover. A combination of randomly generated treasure and carefully hidden goodies.

► An non-linear storyline that can be played at your pace. As you struggle to uncover the secrets of your past, you must decide where to go and who to trust. The game world is yours to discover- just be careful not to get yourself in too deep, too soon!

► Unlimited character development style...Choose from 25 unique skills to make the character you want and 8 base attributes that affect your character's every action throughout the game.

► A turn-based yet fluid combat system keeps the action feeling near real-time. Strategy is key in Eschalon- careful skill management, weapon choice and magic usage will win your fights, not rapid button clicking. We are very pleased to say this is not another "action RPG".

► An epic adventure that you face alone...a single-player RPG carefully designed to feel like the great RPGs of the past such as Ultima®, Might & Magic®, and Wizardry®.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Looks very intriguing.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Eightball

Post by Eightball »

I read the RPGCodex interview. Sounds interesting. Have you had a chance to look at it?
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

What do you mean by "more adventurous with the quests", at least outside of the Fallout multiple solutions thing?

I'm intrigued.
weeskwee

Post by weeskwee »

looks great! :)
Dhruin

Post by Dhruin »

No, I haven't seen it. We agreed to do something closer to release, so hopefully we'll do a preview then.

More adventurous with quests? I am being a bit presumptuous and didn't choose great phrasing but my interpretation of a couple of the answers (questions on gameworld, story, dialogue, being non-linear) suggested they have a fairly generic fantasy gameworld with a linear main story and some "non linearity" provided by side-quests. A non-linear main storyline and multiple solutions to quests aren't part of the core design. Thomas sort of suggests they have built the world and tech and now they are thinking about quests.

Still looks very nice.
Munin

Post by Munin »

Love the art style :)
Dodger Bullet

Post by Dodger Bullet »

On that screenshot, with that itty bitty pic of some eviscerated gob of meat and the blood, what some knows as teh g0r3? Well I love that.

Count me in.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

Thanks for the heads up on this! I'm going to be watching this one closely. I hope he'll have a demo.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Interface is way too intrusive. Old school should not mean that they ignore game development since 1995.
Meghan

Post by Meghan »

I kind of like the interface. It's clean and well laid out. It presents the info you need in an orderly way.

But it does rather step you out of the action. Modern UI's attempt to preserve immersion above clarity, often with mixed results.

So I can see what you're saying. I think though I would have to say that clarity and usefulness is more important than transparency in UI design.
If I ventured in the slipstream / between the viaducts of your dream

aka merneith, aka kylhwch
JayG

Post by JayG »

Look's nice. I miss old style RPGs. especially the Ultima's and Might and Magic's.
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

Meghan wrote:I kind of like the interface. It's clean and well laid out. It presents the info you need in an orderly way.

But it does rather step you out of the action. Modern UI's attempt to preserve immersion above clarity, often with mixed results.

So I can see what you're saying. I think though I would have to say that clarity and usefulness is more important than transparency in UI design.
I understand your point, and I'm really not an interface nazi when it comes to games. Having said that, it takes up about 50% of the available screen. That seems way excessive. Even Baldur's Gate, which would be considered to have an intrusive interface by today's standards, was nowhere near as pervasive.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

You can have both, though it's easier said than done. This is probably this guys first effort (a guess, I don't know this). Were I beta testing I'd certainly be offering up commentary about going with a more minimalistic approach while not sacrificing important information. It may not be something that changes for this game, but if this games sells then who knows what the future would hold.
farley2k

Post by farley2k »

This looks great, but they will need a strong story to get people back to that old style stuff. It often seems like this is the weakest part of RPGs. They invest a lot in programers but don't try to get professionals for story and dialogue.

I also hope that since they went with 2D and other retro things that they keep system requirements really low. It would be great if this game would run on my crappy old laptop! It will play HOMM3 fine but totally chokes on Weird Worlds.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative the same night

- Dave Barry
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Poleaxe wrote: I understand your point, and I'm really not an interface nazi when it comes to games. Having said that, it takes up about 50% of the available screen. That seems way excessive. Even Baldur's Gate, which would be considered to have an intrusive interface by today's standards, was nowhere near as pervasive.
I personally like all the stuff on the front screen instead of scrolling through menus. But once again another promising RPG that I have to wait for. Lets see, Gothic 3, Oblivion, The Witcher, TheRoots, The Fall, Neverend, Divine Divinity 2, Gods, Heart of Eternity, Phase Exodus. My gawd, it seems all we CRPGers do is wait.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Poleaxe wrote:Interface is way too intrusive. Old school should not mean that they ignore game development since 1995.
The best solution would be a user min/max option.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

It looks like you get one character, someone tell me I am wrong please. I love having a group to control. I have been itching for an old-school RPG so can't wait for this. (SpiderWeb's games need a graphic/interface upgrade badly in my book or I would go play one of those.)
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Dhruin

Post by Dhruin »

Um...you're wrong? :) No - it's single character only.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

This looks like a purchase.