Help with processor

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GungHo

Help with processor

Post by GungHo »

OK, Ive kinda had this problem for awhile now, but I just did a reinstall of XP and I figure while Im at it....

System specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200
1GB PC3200 RAM
Win XP Home(SP1)
Radeon 9800
Asus A7N8X(ver 2.0) Mobo
SB Audigy
latest drivers for everying installed

Ive got an Athlon XP 3200 processor, but it only runs at 2200 mHz. Ive tried d/l a tool from AMD's website to see if it can ID my processor, but because of my BIOS settings, the prog doesnt even recognize that I have an AMD processor.

My MOBO is an Asus A7N8X2.0 and Ive just installed the latest BIOS version, which is Rev 1010. And in my BIOS settings I have everything set to either 'Default' or 'Optimal' meaning everything is as stable as it can be. My MOBO, processor and RAM can all run at 200 mhz FSB(which is actually 400, but whatever) and Ive got it set that way. My RAM is PC3200 and it reads that it is running at that FSB speed(as does my processor). However, the multiplyer defaults to 10.5x which is why I get the reduced speed on my processor. Ive tried setting it higher, but even at a multiplyer of just 11x, the comp wont even POST, so I have to reflash my CMOS and do it all over.

Any clues/tips/hints? Or do I just have a borked processor?

Thanks!
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

The XP 3200+ runs at 2.2Ghz. Is that what you're seeing or do you mean it says it's a 2200+?
(HBZ)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Your computer is fine the way it is.

The 400 MHz FSB is a misnomer. The marketing folks decided that DDR "doubles" the bandwidth, so FSB is counted as 400 MHz. The ACTUAL frequency of the bus is still 200 MHz, so your BIOS is correct.

As for the actual speed of your CPU, the 3200+ does indeed run at 2.2 GHz. Nothing wrong with that either.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

OK thanks. Im just confused for a couple of reasons; why does every utility I d/l, including that one off of *AMD's* website(for crying out loud) fail to recognize my processor? well PC Wizard IDs it correctly, but thats about it. ANd of course, Windows XP also says my processor is 'Unknown', though that doesnt really surprise me.

Thanks for the edumacation. :D
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup