GTR vs rFactor vs GTL (ISI engine racers)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Chesspieceface

GTR vs rFactor vs GTL (ISI engine racers)

Post by Chesspieceface »

Can anyone shed some light on what the deifferences between these two products is? All I can gather is that they both are about $30 and both are incredibly accurate race sims. rFactor is supposed to have better online play, but does not have the licenses for real vehicle names. Other than that they look incredibly alike even down to the interfaces. Can one of you race gurus give me the skinny please? Oh and which is probably more accessible to the racing n00b? thanks.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
onnel

Post by onnel »

The biggest difference is probably the rFactor is a racing "platform". While GTR models a particular set of cars on a particular set of tracks (with some add on user made tracks available), rFactor is marketed on its strength as a basis for user mods.

It had oodles of tracks (of varying quality, but some are just amazing), and mods for all kinds of cars. heck, there's even a lawnmower racing mod (don't know if that one got finished).

If you are particularily interested in the cars that GTR models or if you prefer a very controlled race environment, then GTR is probably for you. On the other hand, if you're interested in a wied variety of racing classes and experiences, rFactor really cannot be beat.

Having said that most of my racing time goes to GT Legends. The user made Nürembergering track is a wonder to drive!

Onnel
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Thanks onnel, was actually coming back to add a query as to how LFS fits in there as well....

Also is it just me or does GTR FIA not really have a "game" to it besides racing and beating your own times? It seems rFactor has some sort of career mode with vehicle upgrades and such.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
onnel

Post by onnel »

Of all those games, rFactor and GT Legends are the only ones with career modes. The rest are geared to racing individual races. mind you, there's plenty of "game" in them, especially if you enjoy racing online.

Nothing beats league racing (wish I had time to be in one :-( ). actually lamost any online racing *can* be superlative (better than anything you get versus AI). I was in a 3 lap race at the Ring in GTL last night (each lap was over 9 minutes...whew!) and even after I crashed out it was a joy to stay around and watch the tight racing by those left.

Also, just to be clear, most of the rFactor mods don't sport career modes either.

I own all of the above and they all have their own charms.

onnel
geezer

Post by geezer »

Can't speak to rFactor, but the car modelling/handling in GTR is, IMHO, leagues beyond LFS, and in fact, anthing I've "driven."

Speaking from firsthand experience (between the sima nd the real-life cars) they get the cars *right* in terms of feel, weight transfer and acceleration/deceleration balance and effect.
magic

Post by magic »

rFactor is the next version of the engine that GTR runs on - Simbin licensed the engine (gmotor) from ISI.

rFactor runs on gmotor2. I much prefer rFactor over GTR and as mentioned the modding scene is pretty good. Tons of stuff on the way, not to mention the recently released Porsche Carrera Cup mod which is.... nuts.

online play in GTR is terrible - laggy. In rFactor it's much better on the new engine.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Hmm interesting... does Gt legends use the gmotor2 or will that not happen till GTR2?
BrianE

Post by BrianE »

There's a stock car mod in the works for rFactor that I'm really looking forward to: http://www.rfstockcars.com/
magic

Post by magic »

GT Legends uses the graphics engine from gMotor2, afaik. Not the Physics engine.

Another reason i'm not super-thrilled with GTR/GTL is that Simbin (who used to be a mod team) do not allow any of their files/data to be used to create mod content - even down to a custom team (say, a Ford GT40 decked out in McDonalds logos if you so desire). With the GTR/GTL sims you're pretty much going to get what's "in the box". With rFactor, you've got an ever-growing product.

Also coming to rF sometime soon from The US Pits/RSR is a mod based on the Speed Touring Car/World Challenge series - vipers, vettes, mustangs, etc. No ETA but this is one of various things coming. I think you'll get more bang for your buck with rF than you will with the other games - unless you have a craving for historical motorsport.

At this point in time, i'd reccomend AGAINST getting GTR as GTR2 is going to be out in a few months.

Also, if it's a concern, GTR/GTL uses starforce.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

GTR2????? :D
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Just picked up GT Legends cheap at WalMart, and it's a musclecar lovers wet dream of a game.

I love how the car's handling is "squirrely" by more modern standards, and the over-powering engines that sound fantastic.

Only dislike is that you have to unlock cars and tracks, unless you just want to take a car by itself for a test spin.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
onnel

Post by onnel »

I'm loving it as well..especially some of the addon tracks, and the set of cars and the era make for great online racing. FYI, there's a workaround to get all cars and tracks enabled, too.

Onnel
Zekester wrote:Just picked up GT Legends cheap at WalMart, and it's a musclecar lovers wet dream of a game.

I love how the car's handling is "squirrely" by more modern standards, and the over-powering engines that sound fantastic.

Only dislike is that you have to unlock cars and tracks, unless you just want to take a car by itself for a test spin.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

This 'workaround' must be quite elusive, as I couldn't find much on the web.

I did find a savegame at gamershell.com, but it didn't work when I tried it.
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Did anyone else with GT Legends notice that, if you select (for example) the MOMO Racing wheel, that the steering wheel of your car will be virtually identical to the one you're actually using? I picked this up for $20 at Best Buy tonight, and I have to say, that one little thing (plus the great force feedback) just added a visceral sense that I love.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Clanwolfer wrote:Did anyone else with GT Legends notice that, if you select (for example) the MOMO Racing wheel, that the steering wheel of your car will be virtually identical to the one you're actually using? I picked this up for $20 at Best Buy tonight, and I have to say, that one little thing (plus the great force feedback) just added a visceral sense that I love.
$20??? Brb.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

You need to check the bargain bin forum more often :wink:

Man, there's just nothing like fish-tailing a GT350 around the track at dusk, seeing the lights reflecting off the dash, and hearing that throaty V8.

Gives me goosebumps :mrgreen:
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

I'm loving it as well..especially some of the addon tracks, and the set of cars and the era make for great online racing. FYI, there's a workaround to get all cars and tracks enabled, too.
onnel, what is this "workaround" that you speak of?
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Zekester wrote:You need to check the bargain bin forum more often :wink:

Man, there's just nothing like fish-tailing a GT350 around the track at dusk, seeing the lights reflecting off the dash, and hearing that throaty V8.

Gives me goosebumps :mrgreen:
Is it worth the framerate drop to turn the headlight detail farther up? I just kind of put my settings at an acceptable level (shadows off, though) and haven't tweaked much.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Use the DX8 shaders even on a DX9 card, then you can crank the rest with minimal perofrmance hit.
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Demosthenes wrote:Use the DX8 shaders even on a DX9 card, then you can crank the rest with minimal perofrmance hit.
Beautiful. Using this, I have it to max on 1024x768x32, details (except shadows) maxed out, and AA on (which I *never* can do smoothly), and it plays replays fine (didn't feel like hooking up my wheel just to check). This could get some serious driving time soon, as for some reason this kind of driving just relaxes me, and I have a huge exam coming up, and now the game looks gorgeous as well as driving gorgeous. :)
onnel

Post by onnel »

Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Odd that trying to get a cheat for a game is so shady :?

Thanks, onnel. I'm trying the "process" now.
mori

Post by mori »

I will hate to do it but I will go to Walmart and pick up GTL.

Porche Challenge Cup with the Carrere has been released for rFactor. It is an excellent mod. Only one car is modeled but it is a very good car and from my understanding of the car, very accurate. More tracks are being released and everything about the mod community is getting better. I have no doubt that rFactor will be the sim that is being played years from now.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Yeah, I plan on looking into rFactor soon.

But in the meantime, GTL is so freaking cool for just beating those old beasts around the tracks. The somewhat limited amount of cars and lack of mods aren't an issue yet.

The cars do seem to have an unusual amount of understeer, though IMO. With the amount of torque applied to older tech tires, it should be too easy to oversteer these cars. But it's not.
This is with the "showroom" setups, though.

I minor issue.
BrianE

Post by BrianE »

Just got back from Best Buy...for 20 bucks I couldn't resist. This will definately fit nicely in the collection :)
mori

Post by mori »

BrianE wrote:Just got back from Best Buy...for 20 bucks I couldn't resist. This will definately fit nicely in the collection :)
Best Buy is a better option for me. I hope they have it.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Demosthenes, ya think maybe you could edit the thread's title to include GTL? :wink:

For those that just bought the game.......i'd be interested in hearing how successful you were with car setups.

onnel....thanks again. That was the golden tidbit I was looking for! :wink:
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Roger that. ;)

I am loving rFactor and GTL great great fun. It also sounds like ISI is fairly close to launching stock car/NASCAR rulesets for rFactor which may very well make rfstockcars the new online racer of choice among stockcar enthusiasts as well.

GTL is really just a big pay mod for rFactor with worse netcode. Following the earlier advice in the thread if anyone is thinking of dipping in, rFactor is an incredible value for the money and shows some amazing long term promise.
magic

Post by magic »

bah, my local walmarts, eb's and best buys are all out of GTL. I suspect, rather, that they had none in stock in the first place. I guess i'll just order it from eb's website or something.
Greggy_D

Post by Greggy_D »

Picked up GTL today from BB. They had 4 copies at 19.99 each.
"Whoaaaaaa man. You're totally covered in glass salad." .....Smooth B's stoned neighbor
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Regarding setups, one really awesome feature in GTL is the ability to log into an online DB from the garage screen and download car setups for each track.

rFactor allows players to transfer setups to each other in game, so thats worked well also as most times people are happy to help out a racing noob. :)
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

I didn't know that? :?

I've been messing around with my own to try and get these cars to oversteer more, and it's worked for the most part.
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

On GTL, where the heck is the online serial key printed? I tried the Starforce key and it doesn't work; the GTL key says it's on the back of the manual, but all I see there is a GTR ad.

Edit: Looks like Viva Media sent out the first batch of games without online CD-keys printed at all. They're correcting the issue in further shipments, and I'm emailing support to see whether I just wasted $20 expecting some online play (or car setups).
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

There's a thread about this on the rscnet.org forums. They should email you an online key fairly quickly if you contact the right fellow.
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Demosthenes wrote:There's a thread about this on the rscnet.org forums. They should email you an online key fairly quickly if you contact the right fellow.
Done and done. Major blunder, but they did right in correcting it, and I'm already online and downloading setups.
mori

Post by mori »

I picked up a copy of GTL at Best Buy. They had 2 left.

I will give it a spin this weekend. I love vintage race cars so this should be fun.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Most of the cars have good inside views, except for an occasional too-narrow hood.

But i'm finding the over-the-hood view easier to race with. Must be the visibilty.
magic

Post by magic »

Zekester wrote:Most of the cars have good inside views, except for an occasional too-narrow hood.

But i'm finding the over-the-hood view easier to race with. Must be the visibilty.
and the much better frame rate.

So, can anyone enlighten me as to the oh-so-secrecy surrounding how to unlock everything?
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Yeah, pretty weird huh?

Just email that dude in onnel's link with the subject title "unlock"

He responds fast.
magic

Post by magic »

i sent him an email yesterday before i left to pick up the game. no response.

also, no response from Viva Media regarding my online key - i doubt i'll get one until monday as it's now the weekend :(